• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche (Just Cause) - Wii U dev kits collecting dust, Nintendo is hard to reach

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Microsoft, Sony, and publishers will make sure the new machines take off. Software sales overall are in the shitter. Why? The software is stale. Sequalitis. Old tech. People are hungry for the new consoles. In fact I would be happy to make a friendly wager with you that BOTH PS4 and the Nextbox will sell better in their first 6 months than the Wii U did.

hey i'm not saying they will sell as bad as the wii u, what I am saying is the none hardcore gamer is happy with call of duty, Grand theft auto V. The reason games aren't selling is the average consumer doesnt want to blow money on anything but FIFA, COD, MADDEN, BF. I am willing to bet that Games as we know it havea shift, Budgets won't be as big. Company's will die. I work in games and the industry is just down, running things by consumers and a lot of them are like, "why do i want a new console?" "Gta, fifa and cod come out this year" You won't see another GTA for 5 years, yes they will do a next gen HD goty version but the average person with not a lot of money is not going to rush out for these consoles.

I will bet that this gen doesn't take off like past gens.

Kimawolf

I guess it depends on what you think is a right price. 300? 399? I personally don't see them coming less than 399 and thats best case scenario for me. I am betting more towards 499 or so for both of them, with a higher priced "premium" sku. hell MS may trip out and think they are Apple and really overprice their toy.

hey i'm not saying they will sell as bad as the wii u, what I am saying is the none hardcore gamer is happy with call of duty, Grand theft auto V. The reason games aren't selling is the average consumer doesnt want to blow money on anything but FIFA, COD, MADDEN, BF. I am willing to bet that Games as we know it havea shift, Budgets won't be as big. Company's will die. I work in games and the industry is just down, running things by consumers and a lot of them are like, "why do i want a new console?" "Gta, fifa and cod come out this year" You won't see another GTA for 5 years, yes they will do a next gen HD goty version but the average person with not a lot of money is not going to rush out for these consoles.

If both only offer $500 models, I agree. I just dont expect that to happen. I fully expect both to offer an option that is priced competitively with the Wii U while also having many more quality and AAA games at launch and beyond.

AOC83

Banned

The people you describe are not the ones buying a console at launch anyway, that´s for the early adopters/enthusiasts. And i seriously doubt we´ll have to wait 5 years for another GTA.

I guess it depends on what you think is a right price. 300? 399? I personally don't see them coming less than 399 and thats best case scenario for me. I am betting more towards 499 or so for both of them, with a higher priced "premium" sku. hell MS may trip out and think they are Apple and really overprice their toy.

No way in HELL that a 500+ model is offered unless there is a subsidized $300-350 model too. I FULLY expect a subsidized model of some sort.

Into

You'd be surprised. I believe that a bunch of folks are hoping the PS4Nextbox dont sell well so it will make the Wii U's terrible start look a lil' bit less terrible. Sorry, but when a $300-350 sells worse than a $500-600 console you know you're in trouble.

This is (sadly) true, which really casts a different light on the Wii U, if some are hoping that PS4/720 will tank, it really speaks to how little confidence even Wii U owners and fans have for the console to turn around. Ever new sales data from NPD, Media Create etc just further solidifies where the console is right now.

Its like in a NBA Playoff, you are hoping that LeBron, Wade and Bosh get kidnapped so your team has a chance to win against the Heat. That does not inspire much confidence in your own team.

Sales data tells a different story regarding people playing videogames, more people bought consoles this gen than any previous generation and that was despite competition from social games on Facebook, IOS/Android and a resurgent PC market. There is a realistic possibility that in 2-3 years both Wii, 360 and PS3 will be above 100 million sold, 300 million combined.

People rejected the Saturn and Dreamcast when they started their respective gen's but nobody claimed it was because console gaming was dying back then, these were just 2 products out of many console hardware products that people simply did not want, like the GameCube, Xbox etc. Same thing with Wii U and Vita right now

So this idea that things will change radically and all 3 consoles will struggle is bizarre, it sounds like something people want rather than actually believe based on sales trajectories and..well common sense.

and had significantly less players in multiplayer
and had cut modes
and had entire segments that were modified to work on Wii

People may have played it because that was their option, but the amount of people who were willing to take such concessions when they had other systems capable of playing it is extremely tiny. Nonetheless, the point that is important here is simply that they are clearly not the same game. Coffee may be one of those 'diminishing returns' folks who believes we've arrived at the mountain top with PS4 and Xbox 720, but we're not even close to there yet and being a whole generation behind in power is massive and the games and the ports Wii u will NOT receive will demonstrate the truth of this, no matter how much one wishes upon a star :p

Some of the issue was due to the Wii being unable to run the same engine as the other versions due to Wii using an older and incompatible TEVs for shaders. In other words, Activision really had to make a different game. The Wii U will not have the problem with the GPU, as it is apparently beyond current-gen (more in features than power). Its CPU may actually scale down better with the next-gen consoles than current-gen due to their architecture.

Wii U's bigger issue is actually not its power; it's the small userbase, low game sales and growth. Pre-launch, there was also a serious issue with good Wii U development tools. We will see what will happen when Nintendo steps up during the second half of this year.

Microsoft, Sony, and publishers will make sure the new machines take off. Software sales overall are in the shitter. Why? The software is stale. Sequalitis. Old tech. People are hungry for the new consoles. In fact I would be happy to make a friendly wager with you that BOTH PS4 and the Nextbox will sell better in their first 6 months than the Wii U did.

I own a PS3, and I can't say I'm excited about the PS4, yet. I'm relatively cheap too though, and that's one big reason. I don't know price. I just hope that the next gen consoles' prices drop quickly, but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen.

big youth

Microsoft can afford to release a loss leader, and will. Sony's in a different situation, and will likely have a more expensive console. $500 is a safe bet, but I can't imagine anything higher than that.

It'll be interesting to see how effective the subsidization strategy works. In NA and EU I could see it working, but I'm not sure about Japan. This furthers my believe that Microsoft is more likely to attempt this, out of the two.

Sales will start slow for both consoles, but predicting numbers lower than the Wii U is lunacy.

Brashnir

This is (sadly) true, which really casts a different light on the Wii U, if some are hoping that PS4/720 will tank, it really speaks to how little confidence even Wii U owners and fans have for the console to turn around. Ever new sales data from NPD, Media Create etc just further solidifies where the console is right now.

Its like in a NBA Playoff, you are hoping that LeBron, Wade and Bosh get kidnapped so your team has a chance to win against the Heat. That does not inspire much confidence in your own team.

Sales data tells a different story regarding people playing videogames, more people bought consoles this gen than any previous generation and that was despite competition from social games on Facebook, IOS/Android and a resurgent PC market. There is a realistic possibility that in 2-3 years both Wii, 360 and PS3 will be above 100 million sold, 300 million combined.

People rejected the Saturn and Dreamcast when they started their respective gen's but nobody claimed it was because console gaming was dying back then, these were just 2 products out of many console hardware products that people simply did not want, like the GameCube, Xbox etc. Same thing with Wii U and Vita right now

So this idea that things will change radically and all 3 consoles will struggle is bizarre, it sounds like something people want rather than actually believe based on sales trajectories and..well common sense.

This is a good post. That's all I have to add at this time.

I don't think all three consoles will struggle, but it's very possible that only one console will succeed. Especially when you look at the trend of the last few years, rather than the generation as a whole. There were a lot of things outside of horsepower that drove the growth we saw this generation. Wiimote, Blu-Ray, and Kinect all played important parts in driving sales for their respective consoles. So far I don't see anything similar coming for the new batch of consoles...the tablet controller clearly has not drawn mainstream attention, there isn't a new disc format, and Kinect 2.0 is an evolution.

Both consoles the PS4/720 will do similar. One will end up getting a bigger playerbase, but since both consoles are so similar the publishers will support both. As a result both will do well. It's the 360/PS3 all over again and no Wii again.

Microsoft got the U.S.
Sony got Europe.

As long as the 360 and PS3 are manufactured, they will sell. Sony has a tendency to continue selling their hardware as much as 5 years after it's been succeeded. Does Nintendo want to wait 5 years?

PS3 wasn't as successful or popular as the PS1 and PS2. They also didn't have online infrastructure to maintain with those two devices. I don't see the PS3 having the same longevity as the PS2, and Sony will be more apt to pull the plug if sales fall off.

Both consoles the PS4/720 will do similar. One will end up getting a bigger playerbase, but since both consoles are so similar the publishers will support both. As a result both will do well. It's the 360/PS3 all over again and no Wii again.

Microsoft got the U.S.
Sony got Europe.

History never repeats in this industry. I'm sure we will all be surprised to some extent at how things play out.

Brashnir

PS3 wasn't as successful or popular as the PS1 and PS2. They also didn't have online infrastructure to maintain with those two devices. I don't see the PS3 having the same longevity as the PS2, and Sony will be more apt to pull the plug if sales fall off.

it probably won't have quite the same long tail that the PS2 had, but it (and the 360) will probably both continue to sell for at least 2-3 years.

Both of them are still rather expensive for consoles so old, so they have a lot more room for price cuts to spur sales years down the line.

As long as the 360 and PS3 are manufactured, they will sell. Sony has a tendency to continue selling their hardware as much as 5 years after it's been succeeded. Do 3rd parties want to wait 5 years?

Of course, but the market demographic for those sales is substantially different. I don't know that the Wii U will ever achieve the market that 3rd parties want but in 2017, I would guess that the PS3/360 game buyers (in NA, EUR and JP) will be very limited.

Again, it may make ROI better for Wii U porting.

History never repeats in this industry. I'm sure we will all be surprised to some extent at how things play out.

Dumb theory unlike PS2 ,PS3 is a line to direct cash flow people will continue to buy games on PSN so they won't just cut off a link to direct purchases.

Hermii

I see cross generational games coming out for a good while after next gen has launched, especially if they have slow adoption rate. At least in the beginning of the gen the only differentiator between current and next gen games will be graphics and scaling graphics down wont be a problem.

Dumb theory
???
Why do you have to be so... confrontational? It just comes off as immature.
unlike PS2 ,PS3 is a line to direct cash flow people will continue to buy games on PSN so they won't just cut off a link to direct purchases.

The type of people who purchase digital titles on the PSN are from a demographic that is going to be moving to PS4 sooner rather than later.

So it actually not a dumb theory at all. It is quite a decent theory. Disproving would certainly require more substance than your unsubstantiated opinion.

PS3 is still averaging over $200 for its hardware. Never has there been a 5 year old console, let alone an 8 year old console, that still goes for almost $300 baseline. PS2 did something like 30%+ of its sales after hitting $149.

According to wikia... its closer to 60% of its sales.

Of course, but the market demographic for those sales is substantially different. I don't know that the Wii U will ever achieve the market that 3rd parties want but in 2017, I would guess that the PS3/360 game buyers (in NA, EUR and JP) will be very limited.

Again, it may make ROI better for Wii U porting.

At that point, the 360 and PS3 will probably only get yearly sports releases. What I meant to say is, I expect the 360 and PS3, in its last couple of active years, to be a much, much better target for downports, and after that, there would probably be no market for downports except on portables/smartphones. Either way, no pub house is going to kick the Wii U a courtesy branch just because its the last console at 360/PS3 levels of tech.

Dumb theory unlike PS2 ,PS3 is a line to direct cash flow people will continue to buy games on PSN so they won't just cut off a link to direct purchases.

Maybe, though they'll have a lot of competition from the used market, which will be flooded with games once new consoles come out. People playing on a console that late in its lifetime tend to not pay much for games.

Regardless of how long the store stays up, you can bet most games will have their online portions turned off in a year or two, which will further limit appeal.

PS3 is still averaging over $200 for its hardware. Never has there been a 5 year old console, let alone an 8 year old console, that still goes for $300 baseline. PS2 did something like 30%+ of its sales after hitting $149.

I don't see Sony in any rush to lower the price further when they are about to launch another loss leader console. Sony dropped the PS2 price from $150 to $130 the same year that the PS3 launched, then didn't bother dropping it again for three years, and only down to $100 at that point.

At that point, the 360 and PS3 will probably only get yearly sports releases. What I meant to say is, I expect the 360 and PS3, in its last couple of active years, to be a much, much better target for downports, and after that, there would probably be no market for downports except on portables/smartphones. Either way, no pub house is going to kick the Wii U a courtesy branch just because its the last console at 360/PS3 levels of tech.

I guess I'm picturing a sweet spot where the PS4/720 install bases and Wii U install base are at levels where getting on all three systems is the best chance for profit. I'm basing this on how the last generation turned out where we saw former exclusives like Final Fantasy make the jump to multiplatform based on the need for install bases sufficient to get those multimillion sales needed for triple-A development.

In my scenario, I can picture a ported game doing better on the Wii U than it would on the 360/PS3 - if only because the Wii U only owner is a more active purchaser than the 360/PS3 only owner.

I guess I'm picturing a sweet spot where the PS4/720 install bases and Wii U install base are at levels where getting on all three systems is the best chance for profit. I'm basing this on how the last generation turned out where we saw former exclusives like Final Fantasy make the jump to multiplatform based on the need for install bases sufficient to get those multimillion sales needed for triple-A development.

In my scenario, I can picture a ported game doing better on the Wii U than it would on the 360/PS3 - if only because the Wii U only owner is a more active purchaser than the 360/PS3 only owner.
I don't know, I can't really see that happening. I mean look at what happened with the Wii and getting third party ports, and that was despite having one of the largest install bases ever.

I guess it all depends on whether third party software starts selling on the Wii U, or if publishers even bother trying.

I don't see Sony in any rush to lower the price further when they are about to launch another loss leader console. Sony dropped the PS2 price from $150 to $130 the same year that the PS3 launched, then didn't bother dropping it again for three years, and only down to $100 at that point.

There's a bottom for console pricing and they were already near it. There was no reason to drop the price.

I don't know, I can't really see that happening. I mean look at what happened with the Wii and getting third party ports, and that was despite having one of the largest install bases ever.

I guess it all depends on whether third party software starts selling on the Wii U, or if publishers even bother trying.

My understanding is that the Wii was just too underpowered by an order of magnitude to receive a given 'port' whereas I don't think the difference is as great between the Wii U and PS4/720.

But you are right - it depends on the Wii U market demographic.

AkiraGr

Banned
Wow lets talk about thread derailment this last posts provided me with good laughs. So the real reasons avalanche studios are ignoring the Wii U is not about power or other mumbo jumbo excuses about graphic engines not running on the console we heard in this thread but according to Andreas Gschwari Lead Designer / Lead Level Designer / Designer Avalanche Studios is profitability.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ected-dust-at-avalanche-studios#comment-67354

But the comments from Activision create some anxiety commotion in the GAF community about the upcoming current gen consoles because it makes too much sense I believe...

Wow lets talk about thread derailment this last posts provided me with good laughs. So the real reasons avalanche studios are ignoring the Wii U is not about power or other mumbo jumbo excuses about graphic engines not running on the console we heard in this thread but according to Andreas Gschwari Lead Designer / Lead Level Designer / Designer Avalanche Studios is profitability.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ected-dust-at-avalanche-studios#comment-67354

But the comments from Activision create some anxiety commotion in the GAF community about the upcoming current gen consoles because it makes too much sense I believe...

huh?
PressFire said:
- Is it that there are too few Wii U owners?
- Yes, it actually is, says Sundberg to PressFire

Not sure what your point is. Many folks here said UE4 could run on the Wii U, the question is at what costs. Also, in terms of anxiety over next gen you do realize that Avalanche is developing a game or two for next gen as we speak. Wii U probably won't be getting said games. Why? ROI.

Taurus

^^ Damn Cloving that's basically free money. The way Wii u is performing is essentially unprecedented. If PS4 and Xbox 720 did WORSE than that, my God...

I would actually not be surprised at all to a super slow start to next-gen, if Sony and Microsoft don't price things right.
Just to give some kind of perspective: isn't Wii U ahead of X360's first 6 month of sales?

Daingurse

Just to give some kind of perspective: isn't Wii U ahead of X360's first 6 month of sales?

Wii-U had amazing momentum in the first 2 months. Sales fell off a cliff after Janurary, so the 360 and PS3 will start to pull ahead massively in sales as we go forward.

Taurus

Wii-U had amazing momentum in the first 2 months. Sales fell off a cliff after Janurary, so the 360 and PS3 will start to pull ahead massively in sales as we go forward.
I recall X360 selling less than 10 million in its first year. PS3 took a lot longer to start selling well.

Does anybody have a ww hw stat with launches aligned?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
If that bet won't get us banned sure, by then i'll have my new..sorry I mean Next gen graphics card, so i'll wanna buy something to put it through its paces. combined they will, but individually, nope they won't. And I don't wanna hear excuses of "shortages" or any nonsense like that. they won't because no one wants 600 and 500 dollar new consoles.

You remind me of myself when I said Halo: Reach would outsell Blops on the 360.

Just because you want it to be true, doesn't mean it's anywhere near reality.

Basically this is what happened to me, you should probably just pay up now.

Some of the issue was due to the Wii being unable to run the same engine as the other versions due to Wii using an older and incompatible TEVs for shaders. In other words, Activision really had to make a different game. The Wii U will not have the problem with the GPU, as it is apparently beyond current-gen (more in features than power). Its CPU may actually scale down better with the next-gen consoles than current-gen due to their architecture.

Wii U's bigger issue is actually not its power; it's the small userbase, low game sales and growth. Pre-launch, there was also a serious issue with good Wii U development tools. We will see what will happen when Nintendo steps up during the second half of this year.

Isn't the lack of power the REASON for it's low sales? Anyone who wants something at the level of the WiiU already bought a 360/PS3. Is there even any 3rd party game on it that isn't cross platform and a port at that? Why isn't there a graphical showcase game on it, done by Nintendo if by no one else?

It doesn't inspire much confidence.

Top Bottom