• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche (Just Cause) - Wii U dev kits collecting dust, Nintendo is hard to reach

What do you think, CoffeeGames? I'm a little confused as to where you guys have been the last couple months at this point, but the PS4 massively outclasses the Wii U from a power perspective. it's almost comically more powerful. We won't know about Durango for 100% sure until two weeks from now, but all signs point to it being definitively more powerful than Wii U as well by a lot.

That's why virtually any developer you ask will say they consider Wii U far closer to the Ps360 power generation than the PS4/Xbox 3, and why Wii U is likely going to get shafted on virtually every port of true next-gen tech powered games that exist. They classed themselves out of the fight again. For strategic reasons, of course, ones that now appear to have failed for them catastrophically, as I illustrated pages ago.

Do we know what the PS4 is capable of? What are its specs exactly? Sony hasn't revealed those, or have they? I mean, other than a hyped marketing conference, what did they really reveal about the system they didn't even show? They took notes from Nintendo apparently, and just showed the controller hoping to help confuse the awesome gaming journalists around the internet from asking any real questions?

So, if the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3 and 360, and the PS3 and 360 received ports of games like Crysis 3, then why wouldn't the Wii U in the future? Again, you say "definitively" and "underpowered", but fail to explain those. Kind of like Mark Rein and Michael Pachter when talking about things, can you please provide examples of what you're talking about?

The Wii U doesn't have as much RAM as the PS4, right? (Unless that changes before launch.) Do we know what the PS4 has on the graphics side? If the difference is minimal, will this be another "Xbox 360 vs. PS3" type comparison?

When you say "drastically", what are you basing that off of? The RAM? Examples of games running on the Wii U and the PS4? What do we have to go off of? I only have a few developers that have actually developed games for the Wii U, saying it is more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360, and I will go with their word because they have produced games that have backed up their claims when put to the test (Trine 2 and Need for Speed Most Wanted).

Underpowered compared to what though? How big of a difference are we really talking about? That's what I'm asking. Are we talking PS2 to PS3 difference? Or, like a GameCube to Wii difference (very, very, very slight changes). Perhaps we're talking Crysis 3 on a high end PC to a low end PC? If the Wii U is more powerful than the Xbox 360 and the PS3, I don't see why it should be a problem getting any of the "next gen" games on the system.

He's in a business, and Unreal has mobile versions. So when doing presentations, I would imagine that presenting your engine as available/scalable to all platforms would make sense from the money/licensing perspective. There's a reason why so many developers are using Unity now though, and there's a reason why Epic is struggling with bad management so much they couldn't even keep Epic Baltimore open for more than six months...

You saying the Wii U doesn't have as much ram as the PS3 as if it's an inconsequential amount. The difference is 6GB of fast ram. That is HUGE. The PS4 has 400% MORE ram than the Wii U. The Wii U WILL NOT get multiplats in a few years from the major hitters, unless you count a Wii COD as a multiplat to the 360/PS3/PC COD which I don't. The Wii U's architecture is completely different from what the PS4/NextBox will be. The ram difference is HUGE. It simply will not be able to do what those two will.

If you expect the Wii U to get the AAA games that the others will be getting a couple years from now you will be very disappointed.

Do we know what the PS4 is capable of? What are its specs exactly? Sony hasn't revealed those, or have they? I mean, other than a hyped marketing conference, what did they really reveal about the system they didn't even show? They took notes from Nintendo apparently, and just showed the controller hoping to help confuse the awesome gaming journalists around the internet from asking any real questions?

So, if the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3 and 360, and the PS3 and 360 received ports of games like Crysis 3, then why wouldn't the Wii U in the future? Again, you say "definitively" and "underpowered", but fail to explain those. Kind of like Mark Rein and Michael Pachter when talking about things, can you please provide examples of what you're talking about?

The 360/PS3 won't be getting ports from PS4/NextBox in a couple of years and neither will the Wii U. Why? Because the Wii U is MUCH closer to the PS3/360 than it is to the PS4/NextBox. It's as simple as that. 2GB to 8GB alone tells the story.

Sony has been very open with the PS4s specs. You have either been living under a rock or have a unique brand of trolling.

Pretty much.

fallingdove

Sony has been very open with the PS4s specs. You have either been living under a rock or have a unique brand of trolling.

I know what they have revealed so far, but can you show me an example of the difference you're all talking about?

2GB of ram for the Wii U of which 1GB is available for games
8GB of fast ram for the PS4 of which 6-7GB is rumored to be available for games.

Like seriously bro? You don't see the significance of that? A potential 600% difference in ram available for gaming?

What do you think, CoffeeGames? I'm a little confused as to where you guys have been the last couple months at this point, but the PS4 massively outclasses the Wii U from a power perspective. it's almost comically more powerful. We won't know about Durango for 100% sure until two weeks from now, but all signs point to it being definitively more powerful than Wii U as well by a lot.

What is up with the hyperbole? If the PS4 is "comically more powerful" than the Wii U, then you probably should have laughed to death with some of the videogame systems match-ups in the past. This includes Wii vs 360/PS3 (Wii can't even render games in HD unless you consider a homebrew project that got a scene to run @ < 5fps), DS vs PSP (there is 10-20x difference in some categories of actual performance), and the original Gameboy vs Gamegear, Lynx, and others (Color vs... 4 shades of grey). The Wii U vs PS4 difference will not be as dramatic as those. It may probably at worse be like the 3DS vs PSVita.

I'm in the "Nintendo had to rescue the 3DS" camp. Basically the Wii U got bent over and shafted in order to secure Nintendo's core platform. As that stabilised they probably go back to allocating resources to the Wii U. Coupled with the troubles they say they are having, and EXTREME lack of foresight about HD development put them on a major back foot.

(Actually foresight wasn't required, anyone with a brain cell would know HD development would be a pain, 100's of companies went through it 5 years before)

There is a difference between planning for HD development and actually doing it. Nintendo probably found out the hard way that takes time to set up a good team to tackle all the responsibilities and details that will come up when you making games at a high level, even if you planned everything in advance.

8GB of fast ram for the PS4 of which 6-7GB is rumored to be available for games.

Like seriously bro? You don't see the significance of that? A potential 600% difference in ram available for gaming?

Isn't the RAM in the WiiU unusually slow too? like 12GB/s slow or somewhere in that range?

Daingurse

clint_ew.gif

Jesus.

I'm talking about games. GAMES. Not RAM. GAMES. If Crysis 3 on the PC, was made to run on the underpowered PS3 and Xbox 360 (in comparison to the PC version), why wouldn't/shouldn't Wii U owners expect those type of ports in the future (one reason would be a bad relationship with Nintendo yes, but I'm talking about if it can be done)? The Wii U has 2GB of RAM compared to what of the PS3 and Xbox 360? Four times as much? RAM doesn't equal graphics or even FPS really, that's set more by the GPU and CPU. Right?

Examples of games. That's what I'm talking about. All this tech talk doesn't mean much, if developers don't spend the time using it (as has been shown with the PS3's underused Cell processor).

fallingdove

I'm talking about games. GAMES. Not RAM. GAMES. If Crysis 3 on the PC, was made to run on the underpowered PS3 and Xbox 360 (in comparison to the PC version), why wouldn't/shouldn't Wii U owners expect those type of ports in the future (one reason would be a bad relationship with Nintendo yes, but I'm talking about if it can be done)? The Wii U has 2GB of RAM compared to what of the PS3 and Xbox 360? Four times as much? RAM doesn't equal graphics or even FPS really, that's set more by the GPU and CPU. Right?

Examples of games. That's what I'm talking about. All this tech talk doesn't mean much, if developers don't spend the time using it (as has been shown with the PS3's underused Cell processor).

What the hell? My mind is melting. Well done.

You do realize that within 2-3 years from now it's going to be quite common for PC's to have 16gbs of ram, right? The PS4/Nextbox will have 8gbs of ram. If most games are developed with a PC in mind (which is what more publishers have said going forward), how do you expect the types of games that will be built with the PC/NextBox/PS4 in mind to run on a system that has 2GB of ram?

What the hell? My mind is melting. Well done.

Yep. I feel like I'm being trolled.

MormaPope

Banned

Can't the developers just turn ram off and make new engines from scratch for the Wii-U?

Seriously not serious

Amir0x

Banned
it's so silly this distinction you're trying to fight for CoffeeGames.

In theory, ANY game from PC can come to the Wii if a developer wanted to make enough concessions. Would you then say 'well what's the problem? it can have the games! It can run them!'

I mean, Wii technically had Call of Duty titles, just like PS360, but would you really say it was capable of getting those games? The answer is "yes", technically. But only technically. Nobody wants to play those versions compared to the other versions if they actually have the option because you're cutting so goddamn much. They had to cut features, player size, effects, gameplay, etc. It was a goddamn rout.

Now I'm not saying the comparison would be as horrendous, but the same general rule applies with any of this stuff we're discussing: sure, if you strip away enough components from these things the Wii U might be able to run it, same as PS4 and Durango - technically. But only technically.

Still not seeing the problem? Crysis 3 was built with the specs of the PS3/360 in mind. The PS4/NextBox will be the new base for games in a year or two. Know who is left out again? The Wii U. Just like with Call of Duty on the Wii.

Games built with the NextBox/PS4 specs in mind will still look better on the PC but they simply won't be able to run on the Wii U like Crysis 3 ran on the 360/PS3, unless you're ok with the same type of difference between Call of Duty/Dead Rising 360 and Wii.

As Amir0x said, it's not that the games aren't capable of being made to play on the Wii U, you're simply going to have to give up too much for it to be worth it.

You do realize that within 2-3 years from now it's going to be quite common for PC's to have 16gbs of ram, right? The PS4/Nextbox will have 8gbs of ram. If most games are developed with a PC in mind (which is what more publishers have said going forward), how do you expect the types of games that will be built with the PC/NextBox/PS4 in mind to run on a system that has 2GB of ram?

Yep. I feel like I'm being trolled.

Now, it could be argued that 8GB of RAM in a closed box could be a bit excessive for awhile, especially since there are still alot games less than that. The ones above 8GBs are often using it for redundant data for improving load times, HD movies, voices in different languages, etc. Those things will likely change within the next few years, but there will probably be alot of games that will use the RAM for extra stuff that can be taking out without compromising too much of the actual gameplay.

Time will tell with this. It will be interesting to see how all of that RAM will be used.

Le Singe

Neo Member
I mean, Wii technically had Call of Duty titles, just like PS360, but would you really say it was capable of getting those games? The answer is "yes", technically. But only technically. Nobody wants to play those versions compared to the other versions if they actually have the option because you're cutting so goddamn match. They had to cut features, player size, effects, gameplay, etc. It was a goddamn rout.

The Wiimote trumped those issues for some people. They were great ports. I am really glad that Treyarch was tapped after Infinity Ward seemed to have disdain for the idea. If there would have been more ports technically on the Wii I probably would have bought a few more games.

Now, it could be argued that 8GB of RAM in a closed box could be a bit excessive for awhile, especially since there are still alot games less than that. The ones above 8GBs are often using it for redundant data for improving load times, HD movies, voices in different languages, etc. Those things will likely change within the next few years, but there will probably be alot of games that will use the RAM for extra stuff that can be taking out without compromising too much of the actual gameplay.

Time will tell with this. It will be interesting to see how all of that RAM will be used.

I don't expect third parties to release games exclusively for PS4/NextBox for a year or two but when they do I just don't see how they'll be able to port said games to the Wii U without sacrificing the game at a level that COD was sacrificed on the Wii. I just don't see it.

Amir0x

Banned
The Wiimote trumped those issues for some people. They were great ports. I am really glad that Treyarch was tapped after Infinity Ward seemed to have disdain for the idea. If there would have been more ports technically on the Wii I probably would have bought a few more games.

of course, and there are people in the world who enjoy stabbing themselves in the penis. to each their own. It's just quite demonstrably not the same game

Wait, people played FPS games with the Wiimote? Wat

StevieP

Banned
Guys you are right to jump on and say the ps4 will greatly outclass the Wii U. But don't pretend the difference is like 360 to Wii. It's not. The Wii U is in a much better position than the Wii was vs his competitors. Ports are actually a lot more feasible than they were for the Wii. People already make concessions playing on any console in general compared to PC. It isn't right to call out 1 Nintendo fan because he's willing to accept concessions in that sense. That's biggest issue for the Wii U is that it's just not going to get much effort put into it by many western publishers, despite the fact that it (mostly) outclasses the previous generation consoles. Many publisher simply aren't on board to make those ports work.

Still not seeing the problem? Crysis 3 was built with the specs of the PS3/360 in mind. The PS4/NextBox will be the new base for games in a year or two. Know who is left out again? The Wii U. Just like with Call of Duty on the Wii.

Games built with the NextBox/PS4 specs in mind will still look better on the PC but they simply won't be able to run on the Wii U like Crysis 3 ran on the 360/PS3, unless you're ok with the same type of difference between Call of Duty/Dead Rising 360 and Wii.

As Amir0x said, it's not that the games aren't capable of being made to play on the Wii U, you're simply going to have to give up too much for it to be worth it.

Crysis 3* on the PC has a minimum RAM requirement of 2 GB, more than the 360 and PS3 have. I don't see where you're getting the difference between, let's say a Crysis 4 on CryEngine 4 would look as drastically different on the PS4 to the Wii U, as the Call of Duty/Dead Rising examples. Those aren't really good examples anyway, because you're comparing HD to SD.

StevieP

Banned
Wait, people played FPS games with the Wiimote? Wat

The Wii remote infrared greatly outclasses dual analog as a method of control for any pointer-based games, including tps, rts and certainly fps. It's not even a contest how inferior dual analog is to the Wiimote IR. Mouse still blows the pants off it, and Wii motion+ and Sony Move can almost be as good... But both suffer from gyro drift, unlike the IR. Dual analog is a regression in almost every respect once customization comes into play. From that perspective, the Wii U gamepad is also a downgrade as a default control scheme.

This is what happens when a dev has to make too many concessions...
2xNQ2zr.jpg

Wii
qT4UrMb.jpg

EDIT: More reliable image link

Dead Rising is one of the few games that really took advantage of the HD systems being powerful enough to place hundreds on character models on the screen, and for it to be an important part of the gameplay. I was very surprised that of all games, Capcom attempted to ported that down to the Wii :D

Having said that, the difference between Wii U vs PS4 will not be as bad as that.

Pretty much.

Also

Wii

Actually, going by that pic, the Wii version also doesn't seem to sacrifice major gameplay elements like what Dead Rising did. It's just not as pretty..

Crysis on the PC has a minimum RAM requirement of 2 GB, more than the 360 and PS3 have. I don't see where you're getting the difference between, let's say a Crysis 4 on CryEngine 4 would look as drastically different on the PS4 to the Wii U, as the Call of Duty/Dead Rising examples. Those aren't really good examples anyway, because you're comparing HD to SD.

It's not even the resolution, come on. Look at the Dead Rising pics. There are like 4 zombies, just chillin. LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH FUN

Dude i'm team nintendo all the way but what are you even arguing here? Also nice avatar, Daingurse.

If there are concessions to be made with future ports to the Wii U, it would be more closely to what was made for Crysis 3 to be on the 360 and the PS3, than to what Dead Rising or the Call of Duty Wii games had to make.

Crysis on the PC has a minimum RAM requirement of 2 GB, more than the 360 and PS3 have. I don't see where you're getting the difference between, let's say a Crysis 4 on CryEngine 4 would look as drastically different on the PS4 to the Wii U, as the Call of Duty/Dead Rising examples. Those aren't really good examples anyway, because you're comparing HD to SD.

Crysis 3 was built with the PS3/360 in mind. Why? Because together the PS3/360 have sole 150 million and the install base is huge. Though the PC obviously looks the best and did receive a top notch version.

With the next gen of consoles the PS4/NextBox will have very closely alligned hardware with the PC so that's basically three install bases whose hardware which all things being considered are equal in the eyes of devs. Who is the odd one out? Wii U. Not worth building a game with one install base in mind when you can build it with three in mind. The hardware between all three are significantly more powerful than the Wii U and therefore devs will have to port down their games in a way that they didn't have to with Crysis 3. Again, PS3/360 were the base for Crysis 3 while the PS4/NextBox will be the base going into next gen. The Wii U will experience downports in a similar way the Wii did.

AOC83

Banned
If there are concessions to be made with future ports to the Wii U, it would be more closely to what was made for Crysis 3 to be on the 360 and the PS3, than to what Dead Rising or the Call of Duty Wii games had to make.

The WiiU is a generation behind, just like the Wii was. So there won´t change much in that regard.

Amir0x

Banned
It also ran at half the framerate, something that is arguably quite integral to COD.

and had significantly less players in multiplayer
and had cut modes
and had entire segments that were modified to work on Wii

People may have played it because that was their option, but the amount of people who were willing to take such concessions when they had other systems capable of playing it is extremely tiny. Nonetheless, the point that is important here is simply that they are clearly not the same game. Coffee may be one of those 'diminishing returns' folks who believes we've arrived at the mountain top with PS4 and Xbox 720, but we're not even close to there yet and being a whole generation behind in power is massive and the games and the ports Wii u will NOT receive will demonstrate the truth of this, no matter how much one wishes upon a star :p

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

the only way the ps4 and xbox will be standard is if they really take off. that is not a certainty at present. this is the first gen where 90 percent of my friends are not excited and looking to pc more. the future is uncertain

you do know allot of ram and power in high powered setups is to increase resolution and AA Etc. i think your argument is way off. the wii u could focus on less effects and 720p or under and not look as far from the new consoles as your trying to make out

the only way the ps4 and xbox will be standard is if they really take off. that is not a certainty at present. this is the first gen where 90 percent of my friends are not excited and looking to pc more. the future is uncertain

you do know allot of ram and power in high powered setups is to increase resolution and AA Etc. i think your argument is way off. the wii u could focus on less effects and 720p or under and not look as far from the new consoles as your trying to make out

Microsoft, Sony, and publishers will make sure the new machines take off. Software sales overall are in the shitter. Why? The software is stale. Sequalitis. Old tech. People are hungry for the new consoles. In fact I would be happy to make a friendly wager with you that BOTH PS4 and the Nextbox will sell better in their first 6 months than the Wii U did.

AOC83

Banned
Microsoft, Sony, and publishers will make sure the new machines take off. Software sales overall are in the shitter. Why? The software is stale. Sequalitis. Old tech. People are hungry for the new consoles. In fact I would be happy to make a friendly wager with you that BOTH PS4 and the Nextbox will sell better in their first 6 months than the Wii U did.

That´s not even up for debate, the 600 € PS3 sold way better than the WiiU.

Kimawolf

Too big to fail. It generally only works for banks and some auto companies.

Well we'll see how it works out. but i'd take you up on that bet. I think they'll suffer, and I will bookmark this to come back to it.

That´s not even up for debate, the 600 € PS3 sold way better than the WiiU.

You'd be surprised. I believe that a bunch of folks are hoping the PS4Nextbox dont sell well so it will make the Wii U's terrible start look a lil' bit less terrible. Sorry, but when a $300-350 sells worse than a $500-600 console you know you're in trouble.

Too big to fail. It generally only works for banks and some auto companies.

Well we'll see how it works out. but i'd take you up on that bet. I think they'll suffer, and I will bookmark this to come back to it.

Wanna bet $25? If I win you gift me a $25 game via Steam. If you win I'll gift you $25.

AOC83

Banned
You'd be surprised. I believe that a bunch of folks are hoping the PS4Nextbox dont sell well so it will make the Wii U's terrible start look a lil' bit less terrible. Sorry, but when a $300-350 sells worse than a $500-600 console you know you're in trouble.

The funny thing is, if 720/PS4 sell anywhere near WiiU level , gaming as we now it would be pretty much dead.
The complete collapse of an industry over night. Just because.

Kimawolf

Wanna bet $25? If I win you gift me a $25 game via Steam. If you win I'll gift you $25.

If that bet won't get us banned sure, by then i'll have my new..sorry I mean Next gen graphics card, so i'll wanna buy something to put it through its paces. combined they will, but individually, nope they won't. And I don't wanna hear excuses of "shortages" or any nonsense like that. they won't because no one wants 600 and 500 dollar new consoles.

If that bet won't get us banned sure, by then i'll have my new..sorry I mean Next gen graphics card, so i'll wanna buy something to put it through its paces. combined they will, but individually, nope they won't. And I don't wanna hear excuses of "shortages" or any nonsense like that. they won't because no one wants 600 and 500 dollar new consoles.
Ok. So its a bet. By 6 months each will outsell Wii U's first 6 months.

Amir0x

Banned
^^ Damn Cloving that's basically free money. The way Wii u is performing is essentially unprecedented. If PS4 and Xbox 720 did WORSE than that, my God...

I would actually not be surprised at all to a super slow start to next-gen, if Sony and Microsoft don't price things right.

Top Bottom