• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche (Just Cause) - Wii U dev kits collecting dust, Nintendo is hard to reach

Some people have nothing better to do with their time.

So says the person posting in the same thread ;)

And too invested? Why would I be too invested. I have a Wii U. Obviously I want it to succeed (as long as Nintendo learns from its mistakes) since it will benefit me in the end. I'm not the one arguing that it will achieve a level of success by the end of this year that it doesn't have a chance of reaching.

Like most people on GAF I am interested in the industry and certain companies more than others. I don't really post in Microsoft threads since I am not an Xbox fan. I am a Nintendo fan and am simply tired of the company continuing living in the past and refusing to modernize in certain ways. Am I invested in Nintendo's success? Only as much as I enjoy their games and want them to succeed. If Nintendo were to go belly up it wouldn't alter my life in any way though I'd be disappointed as a gamer.

If that's being too invested then perhaps I am. But I'm no more invested in Nintendo than I am in any other gaming company I am a fan of.

Effect

There's also Warner with the recent Injustice and Arkham Origins on the horizon. Those seem to be the big ones.

I question how good the relationship with Warner is given the state the Wii U version of Injustice actually released in. That's not an example of a "good" relationship to me. It will also be telling what's the lead platform for the portable version of Arkham Origins as well. Or a least which version is farmed out to another developer.

Are there even any western 3rd party games coming out for the Wii U?
(Excluding Eshop)

It seems worse off than the 3DS.

Way more western third party than Japanese third party, that doesn't mean there is alot of western third party support just that there is almost zero from Japanese publishers.

I question how good the relationship with Warner is given the state the Wii U version of Injustice actually released in. That's not an example of a "good" relationship to me. It will also be telling what's the lead platform for the portable version of Arkham Origins as well. Or a least which version is farmed out to another developer.

On a whim, I bought Injustice on the Wii U just because that's the primary console I've been gaming on lately (PS3 is mainly my media device, and the 360 has barely been touched since I built a gaming PC and I really don't want to pay for Live again). I really haven't messed with it much outside of story mode and a couple of multiplayer bouts. But what's so bad about it? I heard about no lobby, but I haven't even tried the online mode.

Effect

On a whim, I bought Injustice on the Wii U just because that's the primary console I've been gaming on lately (PS3 is mainly my media device, and the 360 has barely been touched since I built a gaming PC and I really don't want to pay for Live again). I really haven't messed with it much outside of story mode and a couple of multiplayer bouts. But what's so bad about it? I heard about no lobby, but I haven't even tried the online mode.

From what I understand there is the lack of an ability to have private matches and everything that comes with that. The feature simply isn't in the Wii U version of the game. The game hasn't been patched either from what I've read while the PS3/360 versions had one ready to go right away. No DLC or any comments yes or no regarding it aren't answered. The menus for it aren't even in the game. Any and all questions regarding the Wii U version have been ignored by everyone capable of commenting on the game be it twitter or otherwise yet PS3 and 360 related questions are answered with no trouble.

That doesn't sound like a good relationship. It's why people are saying how Injustice does shouldn't be counted against the Wii U as there are clear reasons why one should avoid that version of the game and certainly not pay full price for it instead of picking it over the others based on extra content.

so Reggie is still counting down..?

I really don´t get how the Wii U can be this unpopular..

People I know who work in retail gets question all the time from people who thinks Wii U is just some accessory to Wii.

If you're just the average Joe who doesn't know anything, it makes sense. They look similar, have a similiar name. And the Wii had so many gadgets and accessories to it, that the Wii U easily could have been some new thing for the original Wii.

People I know who work in retail gets question all the time from people who thinks Wii U is just some accessory to Wii.

If you're just the average Joe who doesn't know anything, it makes sense. They look similar, have a similiar name. And the Wii had so many gadgets and accessories to it, that the Wii U easily could have been some new thing for the original Wii.

Even when getting the truth out, price is just as big a obstacle. Parents are not fond of spending 300-350 for a console. MS and Sony are set to receive just as much heart ache, its only the hardcore who will put 400-500 into a console.

Even when getting the truth out, price is just as big a obstacle. Parents are not fond of spending 300-350 for a console. MS and Sony are set to receive just as much heart ache, its only the hardcore who will put 400-500 into a console.

Launches (outside of Wii) have always been about the hardcore. This is why Sony and MS will be okay. Nintendo's problem is they aren't getting the casuals OR the hardcore. It's basically just an insular community of Nintendo fans that are aware of and buying the console.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Casuals will come after first party drops, with the price. Timed with next-gens release for mainstream interest in gaming in general.

Nintendo is probably safe being the cheapest alternative (if they can convince people gamepad is better than having a ps3...).

royalan

Launches (outside of Wii) have always been about the hardcore. This is why Sony and MS will be okay. Nintendo's problem is they aren't getting the casuals OR the hardcore. It's basically just an insular community of Nintendo fans that are aware of and buying the console.

I'd say that even the Wii launch was about the hardcore. Moms and Dads weren't lining up outside of Walmarts for Wiis until they saw us doing it.

Well one reason why they might feel like Nintendo is hard to reach could be because Nintendo doesn't actually have presence in the Nordic countries. Distribution is handled by Bergsala in Sweden (I think?)

It's weird because on the other hand NoE contacted Frozenbyte for Wii U port of Trine 2 (even that was awkward since they basically asked it and at the same time said that they need to get it approved by Japan later). It's pretty pathetic. I guess we'll see soon just how serious Nintendo is with Wii U.

This right here is the problem with Nintendo:

Too much power/input from NoJ.
I mean, that's great for the Japanese market - no doubt - but means that Nintendo is ending up with a console and strategy that simply does not work in the western markets.

^ Casuals will come after first party drops, with the price. Timed with next-gens release for mainstream interest in gaming in general.

Like they came for the Gamecube when Nintendo dropped it to $99 and busted out Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart and Metroid Prime?

N64-->GC-->so far Wii U are looking like a pretty steady pattern. It's the Wii that is starting too look like lightning in a bottle.

Skyzard

Banned
Like they came for the Gamecube when Nintendo dropped it to $99 and busted out Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart and Metroid Prime?

GC was before they realised they needed extras to keep up. Gamepad is that extra - a free tablet/gaming peripheral (with upcoming ios type apps too).

But that gamepad, its selling point, only appeals to people who want a lower price and more mario (how many people played galaxy or mario on wii again?). And way more ads.

why not save those ads for when next-gen's release gets the media attention back on the traditional gaming industry, in time for your christmas opportunity.

GC was before they realised they needed extras to keep up. Gamepad is that extra - a free tablet (with upcoming ios type apps too).

But that gamepad, its selling point, only appeals to people who want a lower price and more mario (how many people played galaxy or mario on wii again?).

the tablet isn't "Free" when there is still a $200+ cost attached, and when people have been spending the last 5 years buying iPads, Kindle Fires, Galaxy Tabs and cheap Android tablets. Where is the appeal going to come from for non-Nintendo fans? You are giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt that nothing thus far has shown they deserve.

Skyzard

Banned
the tablet isn't "Free" when there is still a $200+ cost attached, and when people have been spending the last 5 years buying iPads, Kindle Fires, Galaxy Tabs and cheap Android tablets. Where is the appeal going to come from for non-Nintendo fans? You are giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt that nothing thus far has shown they deserve.

Non-nintendo fans generally would probably do best to buy a ps3, unless they really wanted a handheld as well [which nintendo needs to really push in upcoming ads, as they have been].

it's free in the sense that it comes with your gaming purchase for your kids. these people, new parents, they only have a wii. maybe a ds or 3ds. They don't have expensive apple devices other than maybe an iphone, but their kids certainly don't. A device that lets them browse the internet or share the tv better can really help these families, when the price is right - and when they've been shown the advantages.

I'm giving their idea the benefit of the doubt, yep, I think the gamepad is a good idea and will mean the wii u can be marketed well eventually.

royalan

GC was before they realised they needed extras to keep up. Gamepad is that extra - a free tablet/gaming peripheral (with upcoming ios type apps too).

But that gamepad, its selling point, only appeals to people who want a lower price and more mario (how many people played galaxy or mario on wii again?). And way more ads.

why not save those ads for when next-gen's release gets the media attention back on the traditional gaming industry, in time for your christmas opportunity.

Your post unintentionally highlights a problem with Nintendo. This idea that they "need extras" to keep up.

It leads to innovation just for the hell of it, and not innovation that addresses a common problem or desire in the market.

In this case, it doesn't matter that the gamepad is an "extra." Nobody wants it. And there are better and more flexible devices on the market. This "extra" is actually holding Nintendo back, not allowing them to keep up.

Gamepad isn't that extra. The Wii was that extra, the gamepad isn't. Sorry to tell ya but the numbers speak for themselves. And please, the gamepad isn't a tablet. It has a shitastic screen to use for most of the applications that tablets are enjoyed for. The gamepad isn't going to sell the console, it just isn't. The mass population just don't care. They cared with the Wiimote but the Gamepad? No.

Nintendo will have pretty much wasted an entire year by the time the others launch in November or so. WASTED. By that time both Sony and Microsoft will be carpetbombing the airwaves with so many ads that the Nintendo Wii U ads will be lost in the shuffle.

The hardware will see a bump with Mario but I don't suspect the bump will be long lived. Folks need to just accept that we're looking at another Gamecube type of situation. But hey, as long as Nintendo makes a profit, the fans should be ok with that.

Your post unintentionally highlights a problem with Nintendo. This idea that they "need extras" to keep up.

It leads to innovation just for the hell of it, and not innovation that addresses a common problem or desire in the market.

In this case, it doesn't matter that the gamepad is an "extra." Nobody wants it. And there are better and more flexible devices on the market. This "extra" is actually holding Nintendo back, not allowing them to keep up.

I think his post also highlights a bigger problem with Nintendo: This idea that they just have to keep doing what they are doing and people will randomly start to want the Wii U. The problem isn't that so many Nintendo fans believe this, it's that the way Nintendo has handled the last 6 months leads me to believe Nintendo themselves believe this.

"Just lop $50 off the price and release Mario and everything will be okay!" It's totally Gamecube deja-vu. I remember. I was there. And as much as you might try and convince yourself, Wii U being Gamecube all over again is NOT a good thing. Not by a long shot. If it was okay, Nintendo wouldn't have punted their entire business model after the first GC and taken a left turn into casual-ville with the Wii.

Skyzard

Banned
I think some of you are over-estimating hardcore interest in Nintendo, and [underestimating] just how much money they can make off these families. Families are everywhere, especially poorer ones these days, dedicated gamers aren't everywhere and they're pretty broke too.

Those families, will want the gamepad. The price the wii u is at now isn't targeting those families, it's targeting hardcore.

If gamepad isn't appealing enough, it will be the ps3 that kills it. and that they didn't invest through iOS enough.

I think some of you are over-estimating hardcore interest in Nintendo, and just how much money they can make off these families. Families are everywhere, especially poorer ones these days, dedicated gamers aren't everywhere and they're pretty broke too.

Nintendo's not getting the families. Not the ones from last gen. That ship has sailed. Those families have tablets and mobile phones now. Wii Sports/Fit/Music was the shit they played before Words With Friends (and they consider Words With Friends old news now) to that group. It's very simple really. The wii-mote, as goofy as it was sometimes, was fresh and novel. We really hadn't seen anything like that. The Wii-pad doesn't have that appeal.

Hell Nintendo is already realizing they aren't getting the casual/family market back. Look at the last few Nintendo Directs. It's all targeted at hardcore old school Nintendo fans because they know that's the only market they still have a hold of.

it's free in the sense that it comes with your gaming purchase for your kids. these people, new parents, they only have a wii. maybe a ds or 3ds. They don't have expensive apple devices other than maybe an iphone, but their kids certainly don't. A device that lets them browse the internet or share the tv better can really help these families, when the price is right - and when they've been shown the advantages.

I think you're really underestimating the tablet market. A Nexus 7 is $200, cheaper if you buy used or refurbished, and as a tablet it's much more versatile than the Wii U. A family strapped for cash is going to get a cheap Android device before they get a pricey game console that kinda sorta doubles as a tablet.

I think some of you are over-estimating hardcore interest in Nintendo, and just how much money they can make off these families. Families are everywhere, especially poorer ones these days, dedicated gamers aren't everywhere and they're pretty broke too.

Those families, will want the gamepad. The price the wii u is at now isn't targeting those families, it's targeting hardcore.

If gamepad isn't appealing enough, it will be the ps3 that kills it. and that they didn't invest through iOS enough.

Why do they want the gamepad? The Wii U is $299 MINIMUM, not including state tax. Throw in a game and it's $350. Guess what families can do for $350. They can buy a capable Android tablet or an iPad mini that will do much more than the gamepad will and for a lower price. We're not talking about a $200-250 Wii situation, we're talking about a $300-350 Wii U without a successful gimmick.

Nintendo was late to the tablet craze and it's showing.

Nintendo's not getting the families. Not the ones from last gen. That ship has sailed. Those families have tablets and mobile phones now. Wii Sports/Fit/Music was the shit they played before Words With Friends (and they consider Words With Friends old news now) to that group. It's very simple really. The wii-mote, as goofy as it was sometimes, was fresh and novel. We really hadn't seen anything like that. The Wii-pad doesn't have that appeal.

Hell Nintendo is already realizing they aren't getting the casual/family market back. Look at the last few Nintendo Directs. It's all targeted at hardcore old school Nintendo fans because they know that's the only market they still have a hold of.

I don't know why this has to be said so many times for people to understand. The Gamepad ISN'T nor will it EVER be as successful as the Wiimote. It's seen as a tablet device and a shitty one at that.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Actually, I am talking about a pricedrop, there's no way they are already targeting these families this early on and with that lineup/price.

I think you're really underestimating the tablet market. A Nexus 7 is $200, cheaper if you buy used or refurbished, and as a tablet it's much more versatile than the Wii U. A family strapped for cash is going to get a cheap Android device before they get a pricey game console that kinda sorta doubles as a tablet.

Not if their priority is a kid's present, which is always what Nintendo has relied on. Tablets just broaden that appeal to the parents - and is more relevant in this age. Motion controls again wouldn't have cut it for nintendo.

Not if their priority is a kid's present, which is always what Nintendo has relied on. Tablets just broaden that appeal to the parents - and relevant with this age. Motion controls again wouldn't have cut it for nintendo.

If they're priority is buying their kids a present, a $300 'upgraded Wii controller'* isn't going to be it. Sorry. Even with a pricedrop it's not going to move like Nintendo wants. Why? The gamepad isn't a Wiimote type of hit.

*This is what many people think the Wii U is

Skyzard

Banned
pricedrop bro, how many times :p

I bet wii U is DIRT cheap for nintendo to make. I'm not worried.

I'm actually worried it will beat PS4 in this economy. But that shouldn't have too much effect on what games we get on each console, just how many!

^ Actually, I am talking about a pricedrop, there's no way they are already targeting these families this early on and with that lineup/price.

Not if their priority is a kid's present, which is always what Nintendo has relied on. Tablets just broaden that appeal to the parents - and is more relevant in this age. Motion controls again wouldn't have cut it for nintendo.

Kids are getting tablets for presents now. Tablets that basically fill the console and handheld void. Tablets that can play a bunch of shitty free/trial games so that parents don't have to buy $50 games. Tablets that are ACTUALLY portable so they can take them on long road trips. Tablets that parents can use too to play games, check email, browse the web, do shit like Facebook/Instagram/Pinterest. The market has completely changed and Nintendo hasn't evolved. The Wii was released before the iPhone. Think about that. When the Wii came out the fucking RAZR and Blackberry phones were hot shit. We are in a completely different time. You can't assume Nintendo just has to be Nintendo and sales will magically come to them because they always have. That has fucked over so many companies in the last 5 years (blockbuster, blackberry, circuitcity/best buy, Sony...) and Nintendo is not immune to that. Especially not in the console space.

royalan

pricedrop bro, how many times :p

I bet wii U is DIRT cheap for nintendo to make. I'm not worried. I'm worried it will beat PS4 in this economy. But that shouldn't have too much affect on what games we get on each console, just how many!

Ok, now you're just trolling.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Think about how the specs compare to ps360, and when ps360 tech came out. Sure it got more efficient, but that was just companies keeping their range fresh, the price doesn't go up, only down with faster powered products.

They may have invested in gamepad tech...but that doesn't directly relate to how much things cost to make.

Kids are getting tablets for presents now. Tablets that basically fill the console and handheld void. Tablets that can play a bunch of shitty free/trial games so that parents don't have to buy $50 games. Tablets that are ACTUALLY portable so they can take them on long road trips. Tablets that parents can use too to play games, check email, browse the web, do shit like Facebook/Instagram/Pinterest.

That's true, tablets are useful, people know that. People don't always make the best purchasing decisions, but providing the functionality only helps nintendo, extra graphics won't. These people can't always afford or (know about cheaper) tablets, especially if their kids also want "the new wii."

^ Think about how the specs compare to ps360, and when ps360 tech came out.

That's true, tablets are useful, people know that. People don't always make the best purchasing decisions, but providing the functionality only helps nintendo, extra graphics won't. These people can't always afford or (know about cheaper) tablets, especially if their kids also want "the new wii."

Nintendo takes a loss on the hardware... this has been confirmed.
Also the problem is their kids don't want the new Wii. They want the iPad. They want the iPhone. They want a 3DS.

That's true, tablets are useful, people know that. People don't always make the best purchasing decisions, but providing the functionality only helps nintendo, extra graphics won't. These people can't always afford or (know about cheaper) tablets, especially if their kids also want "the new wii".

Cheaper? You can get Tablets for fucking $50 regularly at supermarkets and discount stores nowadays.

And what kids will want "the new wii"? Again, I think you are underestimating the passage of time. The Wii came out in 2006. 10 year old kids that grew up during the Wii era are getting ready to graduate college this year. 10 year old kids these days were 3-4 when the Wii broke out. Where is this brand recognition going to come from?

cloudyy

Kids are getting tablets for presents now. Tablets that basically fill the console and handheld void. Tablets that can play a bunch of shitty free/trial games so that parents don't have to buy $50 games. Tablets that are ACTUALLY portable so they can take them on long road trips. Tablets that parents can use too to play games, check email, browse the web, do shit like Facebook/Instagram/Pinterest.
Are you sure about that? Don't they get a tablet because they want a PC to be in touch with their friends and do all the things you mention? I don't remember PCs filling the console and handheld void before tablets/smartphones.

Are you sure about that? Don't they get a tablet because they want a PC to be in touch with their friends and do all the things you mention? I don't remember PCs filling the console and handheld void before tablets/smartphones.

No kids are getting tablets because they are cheap as fuck and parents are on to the fact that you don't have to spend a dime on software and your kid can kill sufficient time downloading free apps and games. Giving your kid a cheap tablet or hand me down android/ios cell phone is a big thing.

^ no one knows what to do with an android tablet. I'm not talking about people who bought the wii on day 1 either, infact, probably only 6 years ago or less, when it was popular.

The Wii has not been popular since 09/10. Nintendo sat on the damn thing. That's a fucking lifetime in the world of tech and fads. The audience Nintendo cultivated with the Wii are not diehards. They are not loyal. They are also not exclusively gamers. They have a million other things they can move on to to fill their time if you don't keep them coming back. And Nintendo basically told them "Sit tight for 3 years while we work on Wii U". That was never going to happen.

Skyzard

Banned
No kids are getting tablets because they are cheap as fuck and parents are on to the fact that you don't have to spend a dime on software and your kid can kill sufficient time downloading free apps and games. Giving your kid a cheap tablet or hand me down android/ios cell phone is a big thing.

In the absence of new 3D mario and its ads. Still a chance, wouldn't be so sure and against the gamepad. You yourself are admitting how popular tablet devices are. Nintendo announced some sort ios thing itself. Providing the functionality will help sway people interested in both for an affordable price.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Could Nintendo have released a ps4 lite with just the pro controllers and wiimote compatible for 350?

Maybe save money on the hard drive, blue-ray, and ram?

Could Nintendo have released a ps4 lite with just the pro controllers and wiimote compatible for 350?

Maybe save money on the hard drive, blue-ray, and ram?

They needed to release a Wii HD in 2010. It was their only hope of extending things. It might not have worked and maybe the Wii would have just fizzled out on people but it would have given them a better shot than waiting 2 years and releasing an underpowered, unappealing, disjointed system with mixed messages and no games.

cloudyy

If they're getting tablets because they are cheap, does that mean they're not asking for tablets in the first place then? What I'm discussing is why do kids ask for tablets/smartphones, are they asking a tablet/smartphone for it's content that is available or for the device itself?

If they're getting tablets because they are cheap, does that mean they're not asking for tablets in the first place then? What I'm discussing is why do kids ask for tablets/smartphones, are they asking a tablet/smartphone for it's content that is available or for the device itself?

It's both. The content and the device itself are linked. The cheapness factor only makes it easier for parents to get their kids what they want. If all tablets were $500, kids would still want them but parents would be much more reluctant to buy them what they want.

Top Bottom