• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 Delayed Till December 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Speaking of which, this is from the Avatar Ride at Disney, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p4mn5BstQo

Yes, that's an animatronic Na'vi.

Looks incredible, and it feels like they've almost already traversed across 3/4 of the uncanny valley.

At the same time, it's kind of a bummer to see such expertise sunk into a franchise that may not really resonate with most park visitors. Here's hoping there are lots of Chinese tourists.

weshes195

The future of sexbots gettin brighter everyday

Can you imagine if Cameron decided to go into the sexbot industry after filming the Avatar films?

People would genuinely start to actually get excited for it lol The advancement in robosex industry would skyrocket!

Scarecrow

Can you imagine if Cameron decided to go into the sexbot industry after filming the Avatar films?

People would genuinely start to actually get excited for it lol The advancement in robosex industry would skyrocket!

Ya but I don't wanna have to wear 3D glasses for every ten years it takes him to produce anything.

_Nemo

It's been so long now, just cancel it. The first one only garnered popularity because of the new 3D tech at the time. Without that crutch it's a generic forgettable movie.

samn

It's been so long now, just cancel it. The first one only garnered popularity because of the new 3D tech at the time. Without that crutch it's a generic forgettable movie.

Generic forgettable movies are making huge bank right now.

Looks incredible, and it feels like they've almost already traversed across 3/4 of the uncanny valley.

Wouldn't that be the swerve?

The time he gets around to finally filming these things, we're expecting a CGI wonderland of 3D ridiculousness and it turns out Cameron's decided to go all the way back to practical effects, and they're the most convincing models and animatronics that have ever existed?

(CG augmented in places, of course)

m4st4

The time he gets around to finally filming these things, we're expecting a CGI wonderland of 3D ridiculousness and it turns out Cameron's decided to go all the way back to practical effects, and they're the most convincing models and animatronics that have ever existed?

Hmm, sure... but 'in places'? He also needs to create so much of the other stuff, the entire world, flora and fauna. I believe Na'vi will look even better this time round, next step in CGI evolution. The only part that will divide them from reality will be your knowledge of the fact that they are unreal. Similar to Planet of the Apes trilogy, Dawn was insanely good. Of course, they have a real life reference for apes but still, tons of progress in my opinion.

Why, because you won't show up... for a new film by James Cameron? How many times have I heard that one in my life time.

Hmm, sure... but 'in places'? He also needs to create so much of the other stuff, the entire world, flora and fauna.

Making plants and trees probably isn't as hard as making giant animatronic cat people

and yet

I mean, I don't think he's actually going to do it, but I'm trying to think of ways in which he could hook audiences on that same "how in the living fuck did he do that" level, and it amuses me to think "fuck it, I'm going practical again" would be the way back there.

m4st4

Making plants and trees probably isn't as hard as making giant animatronic cat people

and yet

I mean, I don't think he's actually going to do it, but I'm trying to think of ways in which he could hook audiences on that same "how in the living fuck did he do that" level, and it amuses me to think "fuck it, I'm going practical again" would be the way back there.

Got it. Seeing that insanely detailed and subtly animated Na'vi, I agree, but also highly doubt it. WETA and Co. are doing this and they will up the game no doubt. How exactly? I have no idea until that first trailer, probably during summer 2020.

Good thing we'll have so many good things on the horizon before it. We already have (currently counting three days until GOTG: Vol.2 and start of the summer season of 2017).

dabig2

How long until Disney Imagineering creates a literal Westworld? Considering Westworld was inspired by Disney theme parks, it's only fitting (and some would say inevitable).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Tylercrat

Banned
How long until Disney Imagineering creates a literal Westworld? Considering Westworld was inspired by Disney theme parks, it's only fitting (and some would say inevitable).

Theme parks aren't quite as profitable for Disney as movies are so I don't think they would invest too much in a new park like that (as cool as it would be). Obviously when the technology gets there in the future, then someone will I'm sure create a Westworld type experience. It will happen someday. Just not in the next 10-15 years.

Pizza

Jesus I feel like that tech is wasted on the avatar franchise

Gives me huuuge hopes for the Star Wars cantina and stuff they have in the pipline though

I think a lot of people need to watch the making of Avatar. Yes, there was a ridiculous amount of CG. But so much of it was still only used where necessary.

People don't realise how much practical work went into Avatar.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

It'd be like how Kubrick wanted the ai kid to be an actual android.

Shit rian johnson should remake ai now

I would have met my now wife and our kid would be old enough to see Avatar 2 in theaters with me in the time it takes between Avatar 1 and 2.

This is basically what happened to me. Firstborn in diapers when #1 came out, I'll take him with me to see #2. Just make Aquaman already, Cameron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom