• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Veelk

Banned
Makes sense. Would be cool if it had been explored more fully, but the pacing of Season 3 is what it is, so it's like "P'li died? Okay, earthly attachment gone, level up."

Granted, this is one sin that TLA is guilty of too. Aang was pretty quick to give up his attachments in the season 2 finale.

So...it works, like much of Book 3.

Toa TAK

Banned
That's actually pretty cool. Hadn't thought of it like that but the logic works (for Avatar).

Almost as good as everything in book 4.

Makes sense. Would be cool if it had been explored more fully, but the pacing of Season 3 is what it is, so it's like "P'li died? Okay, earthly attachment gone, level up."

Granted, this is one sin that TLA is guilty of too. Aang was pretty quick to give up his attachments in the season 2 finale.

So...it works, like much of Book 3.

Yeah my counterargument to that is I was just seeing it as a campy cartoon concept and not as a 1:1 correlation to actual Buddhism, to which he replied he would accept that if TLA didn't stay true to it. I don't remember exactly what went down in the season 2 finale of TLA. What's that about?

That's actually pretty cool. Hadn't thought of it like that but the logic works (for Avatar).

Almost as good as everything in book 4.

I don't know if I'm reading you wrong or if I didn't get my point across well, but the quote is why he thinks Zaheer "letting go of his earthly tethers" after P'li died doesn't make sense.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah my counterargument to that is I was just seeing it as a campy cartoon concept and not as a 1:1 correlation to actual Buddhism, to which he replied he would accept that if TLA didn't stay true to it. I don't remember exactly what went down in the season 2 finale of TLA. What's that about?

I mean, maybe not staying true to it isn't exactly the right phrase, because the motions of it are technically right. It just came off as a little too easy. "You have to let go of the sorrow you feel for the genocide for your people." "Okay.....done."

And then there's the part where people contended the final release of the chakra(the season 2 finale). Where he has to let go of his love for Katara to activate the avatar state, but he could only do that in her moment of greatest danger where only the avatar state could save her. That seems similar to the 'motive as earthly attachment' notion since he's letting go of his love for her in order to save her.

That said, I don't mind it because the tenets of buddhism tend to involve confusing and self contradicting ideas, but it's definitely one of the more contentious elements of the show, along with the finale where the pressure from the rock unlocked the avatar state again.

tumblr_oro5yysfz31qhvkspo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oro5yysfz31qhvkspo2_500.jpg
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/161912065243/unrelated-panels-but-good-faces-i-liked-while

I mean, maybe not staying true to it isn't exactly the right phrase, because the motions of it are technically right. It just came off as a little too easy. "You have to let go of the sorrow you feel for the genocide for your people." "Okay.....done."

And then there's the part where people contended the final release of the chakra(the season 2 finale). Where he has to let go of his love for Katara to activate the avatar state, but he could only do that in her moment of greatest danger where only the avatar state could save her. That seems similar to the 'motive as earthly attachment' notion since he's letting go of his love for her in order to save her.

That said, I don't mind it because the tenets of buddhism tend to involve confusing and self contradicting ideas, but it's definitely one of the more contentious elements of the show, along with the finale where the pressure from the rock unlocked the avatar state again.

Interesting points.

That reminds me of another thing he brought up. He asked me if Zaheer's obsessive plans to throw the world in chaos are earthly and selfish, and if it goes against his goal of "letting go of earthly tethers"

caliph95

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06G0KeG.jpg[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]http://38.media.tumblr.com/7af7476eda13ad8d056adbf55680ee97/tumblr_n1pqi0k42f1qjsrbmo1_400.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://orig07.deviantart.net/3023/f/2014/300/f/8/korra_la_kill_by_strunza-d84f4fz.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/663/680/f3a.png[/IMG]

That reminds me that I haven't seen the english dub of KLK! I only liked the first 3 episodes of the sub but seeing a highlight video of the dub made me want to rewatch it since it seemed better.

-Deimos

That's obviously her winter outfit for Republic City since it isn't as cold to her as the south pole :p. I honestly like it and could see her using something like it without her belly showing if Platinum Games gets another chance at a Korra game... which has the same chance of happening as a new Soul Eater game that I want T_T.

It's actually a great outfit besides that.

Who argues for Mako, he is the worst character in Team Avatar

This is like the opposite of damning by faint praise. "Praising by faint criticism", maybe?

I mean, all of Korra's Team Avatar was really bad. Mako being the worst doesn't really mean much (I'd also disagree with that; I think Bolin was the worst member of the team.)

This is like the opposite of damning by faint praise. "Praising by faint criticism", maybe?

I mean, all of Korra's Team Avatar was really bad. Mako being the worst doesn't really mean much (I'd also disagree with that; I think Bolin was the worst member of the team.)
Bolin should've had his arc ended by Tonraq throwing his ass out of the airship while he was being an ass during critical strategic planning.
Didn't you love repeating the same character development for Korra in season 1

Mako knew he wasn't shit and wanted to die during the Book 4 finale.

That was Mako's time to shine. Everything fell to shit for him the moment he kissed Korra.
It was more like when Korra forced a kiss on him, god I hate the love triangle in Book 1. If it wasn't for that and the "Korra just gets all her powers back" ending Book 1 would've been perfect (imho). Mako suffers because he was thought as Korra's crush/boyfriend first and a character second and although I thing he started becoming more likable in Book 2 he fucks it up by cheating Asami with Korra at the end. Also I only liked Bolin in Book 1, he later becomes too annoying so to me is no surprise that everyone wanted Korra to end with Asami since she at least stayed likable from beginning to the end but that might just be because she got the least screen time of all Team Korra.

I like how this thread gets active whenever we need to shit on something

How about something more positive?

46Ihjl6.gif
How about Amon and his crew:

I do love a villain who is a real threat that also has competent henchmen. Like I can't give enough credit to the Equalist group, Korra was introduced as a good fighter but even on a 1v1 fight she has trouble dealing with them. I also love that Amon wasn't defeated on a epic battle filled with explosions, he lost when his survival instincts kick in and without knowing he exposes himself as a fraud and runs away because he has nothing to gain by continuing the battle with Korra.

Veelk

Banned
What Overwatch characters would the Krew play?

Korra would be Doomfist because she's a brawler.
Mako would pick Hanzo. Because hanzo.
Bolin would be Reinhardt because he wants to be obnoxious, yet well liked.
Asami would play D.Va because she's the one with the mech and is the best character in the game.

What Overwatch characters would the Krew play?

Korra would be Doomfist because she's a brawler.
Mako would pick Hanzo. Because hanzo.
Bolin would be Reinhardt because he wants to be obnoxious, yet well liked.
Asami would play D.Va because she's the one with the mech and is the best character in the game.
Who would Kuvira be?
I can remind you.

tumblr_njm68wduaX1txajwdo2_500.gif
Mortal Kombat Kuvira and Cape Kuvira are the best Kuvira's.
tumblr_nv9caihaON1ro0n55o6_1280.png

Amon is just too good. Best villain by far.

I know not everyone liked the waterbender reveal, but I thought the Tarrlok murder suicide was heavy.

Someone posted a gif of it in another OT thread about moments that cartoons were crazy and it still made me feel that way.

I still can't believe they did it! Fuuuuck season one was so good other than the deus ex Aang.

Man the waterbender thing could have been so cool if he truly believed in his ideas enough to convince his followers to keep on with the regime in spite of that. Could have removed his mask in front of the crowd, revealed this just visceral scar, dropped this tragic backstory about how he and his family was taken advantage of by benders (maybe he was a late bloomer to waterbending or something and lowkey hated himself for it at first). Then you could have another group of bad guys appear who split off from Amon after his bending reveal, stirring up their own trouble. Someone write this fanfiction pls

Didn't you love repeating the same character development for Korra in season 1

Hmm maybe? i don't remember but she hardly had any in that season as is anyways.

The best and worse parts of that season was the villain. Dude was such as threat but turned out to be a huge fraud of the highest order with a shitty last minute story.

Remember way back at the end of 2015 when I said I drew a thing for a thing? Well, that thing is finally *almost* done. The fine folks at Mondo approached us back then about doing a Korrasami statue, and sent over a 2D concept by Eric Siebenaler. I did my revision pass, going for more of a tender moment, resulting in the black & white sketch above, which was used by sculptor Joe Jung. The photo at the top is the first pass on the paint, so there may be some tweaks before this is released. I’m pretty sure it will be on display at Mondo’s booth at San Diego Comic Con this week, and pre-orders will start soon. Thanks to Mondo for the cool project and to Nerdist for the SDCC preview!

http://nerdist.com/mondo-brings-batman-korra-the-rocketeer-and-more-to-sdcc-exclusive/

Just posted by Bryan on Tumblr.

Top Bottom