• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar sequels officially begin filming Sept 25. Are standalone sequels.

_Nemo

It's gotten to a point that any mention of news of these movies just pisses me off. I couldn't be more detached and uninterested at this point.

Best way to describe standalone sequel is to look at Cameron's other sequels.

Terminator 2 works as a standalone film, because it doesn't require anybody to have seen T1. It does the necessary legwork for new audiences.

Same with Aliens.

Mad Max Fury Road is a more recent example, though that definitely feels more like a reboot.

In past interviews, Cameron referenced the Matrix sequels as an example of exactly what he didn't want. Some bullshit cliffhanger that doesn't offer up a satisfying ending to the audience. So this also won't be like your Hunger Games movies where the films feel episodic.

All that said, I still have a feeling the last two of the 4 sequels will be one movie split in two, due to the odd release schedule.

Maddness

I'm just upset the greatness of James Cameron will be forever waisted with fucking Avatar sequels. This is it. We won't be getting anything else. Return to the ocean from which you came James. We barely knew ye.

I'm still waiting to hear which composer they'll bring in and if Horner did some additional stuff before he died.
Yeah big shoes to fill.

An obvious choice for many reasons on this specific production would be Howard Shore.

But I'm kind of hoping Cameron doesn't go with an obvious choice.

120v

expiration date on a straightforward "avatar 2" passed years ago. i've since expected the new movies to be their own thing

jett

D-Member
I feel like I'm actually never going to watch these movies.

Filming four movies at once is insane, and I'm not sure how fresh Pandora is going to seem after a couple of these things.

Original comment was about how Worthington hasn't been getting work. Which is not true. There's nothing to defend, just to correct.

That said, I'll happily defend his work in Avatar. He was even decent in Clash of the Titans, though I haven't seen anything he's been in since then. (He was also great in Rogue, before Avatar.)

Yeah he was fine in Avatar. I insist though that the animators did work to make his CGI-self emote more. :p

ZeoVGM

Banned
Finally, the Avatar cinematic universe!

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Cinematic Universe Universe, which combines the worlds of Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Avatar, The Mummy, Transformers, John Carter and Mars Needs Moms into one epic tale.

jett

D-Member
Best way to describe standalone sequel is to look at Cameron's other sequels.

Terminator 2 works as a standalone film, because it doesn't require anybody to have seen T1. It does the necessary legwork for new audiences.

Same with Aliens.

Mad Max Fury Road is a more recent example, though that definitely feels more like a reboot.

In past interviews, Cameron referenced the Matrix sequels as an example of exactly what he didn't want. Some bullshit cliffhanger that doesn't offer up a satisfying ending to the audience. So this also won't be like your Hunger Games movies where the films feel episodic.

All that said, I still have a feeling the last two of the 4 sequels will be one movie split in two, due to the odd release schedule.

Forget Matrix Revolutions, can you imagine going to the theaters to watch Matrix Reloaded without having seen The Matrix?

Some of my family actually did that, had to leave after 30 minutes due to not understanding a single fucking thing that was going on, lel.

I'm not entirely convinced these movies will be completely standalone. It would be a surprising achievement if he actually managed to do that.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hey neat.

Avatar is still the movie I pop in whenever I want to really enjoy my TV setup. Gimme more of that.

Sapiens

It's going to be absolutely insane.

Also, I can't wait for Sam Worthington to be able to have three square meals a day again.

Why dont the humans just develop some bioweapon to gas all the natives and then take the planet?

Or just glass the planet from orbit?

strafer

I thought they were almost done ;-;

wyJ0NJj.gif

Erv

SCULLIBUNDO Ive been seeing you post talk about this movie on here for years. you must really be a fan

jett

D-Member
It's going to be absolutely insane.

When you think about it, the visual effects should be completely ridiculous. By the time ABADAR2 drops, eleven years will have passed since the first movie. That's like two game console generations. Ten years before Avatar, this was the state of the art in CGI:

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dXGpQ0a.jpg[/IMG]

Gah.

Maybe there's a method to Cameron's madness. Eternally delaying these things just to be capable of blowing our minds again.

strafer

When you think about it, the visual effects should be completely ridiculous. By the time ABADAR2 drops, eleven years will have passed since the first movie. That's like two game console generations. Ten years before Avatar, this was the state of the art in CGI:

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dXGpQ0a.jpg[/IMG]

Gah.

Maybe there's a method to Cameron's madness. Eternally delaying these things just to be capable of blowing our minds again.

My god, that looks like crap, Lucas had all the money in the world and it still came out like garbage.

Why dont the humans just develop some bioweapon to gas all the natives and then take the planet?

Or just glass the planet from orbit?
It's been explained that nuking/glossing the planet would render the minerals they want to salvage uselsss.

It's also been explained that the tech the humans have on Pandora is relatively low-tech compared to what the humans use elsewhere, because the electro-mag field on Pandora fucks the more advanced equipment up.

Every decade, when popcorn tentpoles reach their most dire state, James Cameron surfaces to cleanse the Earth.

Transformers 5 and The Mummy were the tipping point.

wrowa

All of them are being filmed back to back, people.

4 films shot concurrently.

Can't wait for the promo tour for Avatar 5.

"Hey Sam, how was filming Avatar 5?"
"I've no fucking idea, we shot this film 8 years ago. I can't even remember its story. Something about green people or so."

It's been explained that nuking/glossing the planet would render the minerals they want to salvage uselsss.

It's also been explained that the tech the humans have on Pandora is relatively low-tech compared to what the humans use elsewhere, because the electro-mag field on Pandora fucks the more advanced equipment up.

We just fucking gas them all to death then!

firelogic

Exactly, Worthington is decent, it's just he's not leading man material.

It's not his fault Hollywood annointed him the next big thing and tried to make him a leading man. The hate should be aimed at Hollywood, not him. That said, I'm shocked they're still sticking with him. They could have easily recast the role considering the subject matter.

It's not his fault Hollywood annointed him the next big thing and tried to make him a leading man. The hate should be aimed at Hollywood, not him. That said, I'm shocked they're still sticking with him. They could have easily recast the role considering the subject matter.
Was originally supposed to be Matt Damon. Damon passed on it due to a scheduling conflict with some film that turned out to be something less than memorable... from what I remember.

Edit: It was The Greenzone. lol

Damon still kicks himself for missing it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Was originally supposed to be Matt Damon. Damon passed on it due to a scheduling conflict with some film that turned out to be something less than memorable... from what I remember.

Edit: It was The Greenzone. lol

Damon still kicks himself for missing it.
I think it's why he did Elysium

Yeah...lol

Busty

Banned
Talking of making money on Avatar did you know that Guy Ritchie made more money off Avatar's success than Sherlock Holmes, a film that was released at the same time?

Oh showbiz, you so crazy.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I don't see how correcting someone is a "defense force." I don't personally care about him but the idea that pops up from time to time that he hasn't done anything is simply false.

And even if he had done nothing to keep his schedule free for the Avatar sequels: Could you blame him when he has a $120 million payday coming up? I'd rather not have any other projects going on when Cameron calls.

Top Bottom