• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers 4 title is a spoiler for Infinity War, the phases concept might be ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't have an answer. I don't think Marvel Studios really gives that much of a fuck whether or not their titles come from good comics or not. They don't give that much of a fuck about adapting their contents anywhere near faithfully, either.

They care about taking the characters, and making good movies with them.

If they make a good movie with a good story that borrows a title from a shitty comic book, does it really matter if the comic is shitty?

Nobody's going to read it anyway.

I agree with you overall. Age of Ultron is proof of that.

But Ultimatum specifically is on an entirely differently level to the point where I believe Marvel as an entertainment corporation will absolutely never refer to it again. Whether it's a movie title, one of the straight-to-DVD animated films or an arc in an Avengers cartoon.

SpaceWolf

Banned
But Ultimatum specifically is on an entirely differently level to the point where I believe Marvel as an entertainment corporation will absolutely never refer to it again. Whether it's a movie title, one of the straight-to-DVD animated films or an arc in an Avengers cartoon.

This is basically where I'm at, much as I respect Bobby's opinion.

They could literally recast everyone and I would be okay with it as long as they leave my Chris Evans Cap alone. My least favorite comic book character of all time became my most favorite comic book movie character and led to me developing a serious man crush on ol Chris.

I would be all for him branching out to other movies like he's wanted to do for so long (although sometimes I question the garbage scripts he's picked) as long as he still dons the red white and blue once every 2 years.

Thanks Feige bye

wildfire

Banned
Considering the succes of Fast and the Furious I don't understand the handwringing Hollywood and Marvel execs would have about changing up the cast to a degree.

Maybe A/V is misinterpreting their concern and they aren't thinking about a reboot.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Considering the succes of Fast and the Furious I don't understand the handwringing Hollywood and Marvel execs would have about changing up the cast to a degree.

Maybe A/V is misinterpreting their concern and they aren't thinking about a reboot.

The Fast and the Furious franchise doesn't change up its central cast with each passing installment so much as add to it.

Shaanyboi

Banned

The only Fast and the Furious movies that changed up the cast were the first three. The third didn't have any familiar characters beyond a last-second cameo from Vin Diesel which he only did in exchange for the Riddick rights. 4 picked up with the first movie's characters and they've only added to the roster since.

That's the last franchise you wanna use as an example of mixing up the cast...

firelogic

Maybe I'm missing something but the phases right now haven't meant much in terms of a story through-line amongst all the movies. The phases simply divided up the slate so you didn't have 2 of one title before releasing an instalment of all the other solo movies. That's all I got from it. I didn't feel like, "oooh ok, all the stories will culminate at the end of phase 1 and a new thing will start in phase 2" and so on and so forth.

Call me crazy but I'm not looking forward to Infinity War because it's going to answer all of my questions and wrap up the phases in a neat little bow because there are no loose threads. Not because of incredible storytelling but because there isn't much material left up in the air once any movie ends.

Christian

Avengers: Superman Returns in Justice League.

And LOL, people acting like Ultimatum is a possibility. Not because of the comic event, but how is that title remotely a spoiler? Unless Magneto shows up in Infinity War and reverses the Earth's magnetic poles.

I'm very curious to see what Feige will come up with. Actors are getting older, their contracts are expriring, yet many of them are cornerstones of the entire MCU. At some point they will have to recast, so do they reboot the whole thing or do they just go on like nothing happened?

I bet Dr Strange's role will be pivotal. The MCU's soft reboot will have something to do with parallel dimensions, maybe Strange will pull alternate versions of some characters from a different dimension once the originals fall to Thanos.

Avengers x fast and the furious. When they lose all hope and the group breaks up. Only Dom and his message of family will be enough to help them win.

black070

Avengers: Resurruction

We get the Cap standing up to Thanos scene conclude the first movie, and him come back in the second using the time/soul gem wielding Mjolnir.

So much of this hinges on Thanos not being another forgettable Marvel movie villain.

I think given that he's pretty clearly getting two films (and more or less being the protagonist of the first one) they understand that he can't just be a throwaway like most of them have (unfortunately) ended up being.

I posit, though, that the MCU's Boring Girlfriend problem is worse than its Boring Villain problem. Pepper Potts and Peggy Carter need to come back.

kai3345

Banned
That the phase concept is ending might be the bigger news here.

With the Iron Man, Captain America and presumably Thor franchises ending, the formula of having each phase build up to an Avengers movie that serves as the culmination of that phase doesn't make sense anymore. They could continue with Strange, BP, CM, Spider-Man and so on, under a new name like New Avengers. They probably will. But at any rate I think their approach of the Avengers movies being event movies will change. I can see them doing a movie just called Secret Wars, instead of Avengers: Secret Wars, and have it be more of a one and done affair. We'll see.

I kind of hope it goes this route tbh. Calling it Avengers comes with the expectation that everyone will be in it, when some of these bigger event crossover stories could be done with half the cast.

The Kree

Banned
Avenger's: Disassembled, maybe?

This is a good guess probably. Since the three phases end with Avengers films and the idea of phases is potentially being discarded, there might be increased focus on different teams and crossovers going forward so that it's not all Avengers-centric.

I kind of hope it goes this route tbh. Calling it Avengers comes with the expectation that everyone will be in it, when some of these bigger event crossover stories could be done with half the cast.

I think Captain America: Civil War and Thor: Ragnarok are an excellent test bed for making this point to audiences. Crossovers should be defined largely by the scale on which they're happening/where in the universe they take place - dragging characters into stories that don't fit them (rather than being selective and telling the best story they can tell) is a dangerous idea that'll hurt the entire MCU franchise in the long run.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
They could literally recast everyone and I would be okay with it as long as they leave my Chris Evans Cap alone. My least favorite comic book character of all time became my most favorite comic book movie character and led to me developing a serious man crush on ol Chris.

I would be all for him branching out to other movies like he's wanted to do for so long (although sometimes I question the garbage scripts he's picked) as long as he still dons the red white and blue once every 2 years.

Thanks Feige bye

I don't expect Cap to survive the final Avengers film. He's going to be the martyr for the team for sure.

MoeDabs

These are the two best guesses, I'm thinking.

And if it is Ultimatum, how much you wanna bet the next series builds to "The Ultimates"

(obviously in-name-only, like most Marvel Studios adaptations)

They will never rebrand them "the ultimates". Agree with everything else though.

kswiston

I think some of you are overthinking things, and that the fourth film will be titled Avengers: the Infinity Guantlet.

I still think that the first film will end with Thanos wiping out half of the universe with a snap of his fingers after assembling the infinity stones. The second film will be the entire MCU vs Thanos as god

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom