• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
11/02/2014 (02/11)

'Avengers: Age of Ultron' has started second unit filming in Johannesburg, South Africa. It will then move on to Italy and South Korea, with the bulk of photography to take place in Shepperton Studios in the UK.

There is also an unconfirmed report that some pre-production filming was done at Waterloo Station in London, in the old Eurostar terminal there. The suggestion is that if Joss Whedon is happy with the test footage they shot there, the 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' team will return later in the year.

Principal photography is to start next month with the film set to release May 1 2015.

Sauce: http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/avengers/232918/shooting-begins-on-avengers-age-of-ultron

Credit to richiek for the find in the 'Marvel Cinematic Universe' OT.

19/03/2014 (03/19)

According to The Chosun Ilbo, about 15 to 20 minutes of the Marvel sequel will make up major battle and chase scenes set in Seoul, South Korea. More specifically, "The headquarters of a Korean IT institute on a small islet on the Han River will also play a central role as villainous robot Ultron tries to acquire state-of-the-art technology." In addition to Korean actress Kim Soo-hyun (Claudia Kim) playing a scientist at the said institute, the report further reveals that "The core scene set in Seoul involves Ultron laying parts of the city to waste." However, South Korea won't be just portrayed amid the Ultron-inflicted calamity: "A scene in which one of the characters, Iron Man, flies over the Digital Media City in Sangam-dong and Han River Park will show the harmony of nature and the modern beauty of Seoul," says a city official.

22/03/2014 (03/22)

Photos and details from the Italy shoot, via AostaSera.it, reveal a battle sequence taking place amid an artificial blizzard at Fort Bard, where miltiary extras were seen firing at an unseen target. No word on who or what that target may be, but actors Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye), Elizabeth Olsen (Scarlet Witch) and Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Quicksilver) are all in town and will eventually take part in the shoot. In addition to the snow-covered rectagular fortress, there are two other sets being constructed which photos from Facebook & Cinefilos showcase an apparent cargo transport and Italy's Aosta Valley dressed with Eastern European storefront signs.

25/03/2014 (03/25)

CineFilos reports that the sentient robot is in fact the cause of all the chaos in the fictional Eastern European city of Sokovia. Apparently, Pietro Maximoff first takes on Ultron and his minions before he is joined by Wanda and Clint Barton, who are trying to rescue a bunch of refugees by getting them to a dropship. This is of course the cargo-like structure pictured on the set, and it is also why the Avengers actors were seen looking up while cameras were rolling. Anyhow, Wanda uses her powers to keep up with Ultron as the refugees head for the dropship.

08/04/2014 (04/08)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier may have influenced Joss Whedon to shoot Avengers Age of Ultron in 2.35:1 instead of 1.85:1 of the first Avengers film.

10/04/2014 (04/10)

Filming is under way at Hawley Woods for the upcoming Avengers movie.

Residents captured behind-the-scenes pictures of a winter battle scene set for the second Avengers film, Age of Ultron, which is due to be released next April.

Proposals were put forward to Hart district Council by Assembled Productions II UK Ltd in February to use the land temporarily for filming, and plans were approved on March 17.

Although the application did not indicate which movie would be filmed, the plans did state that a ‘small defensive bunker’ would be constructed in the woods to aid the filming of scenes in which principle characters are engaged in fighting with opposing forces.

The plans also stated there would be a simulation of bullets and debris hitting surrounding trees and it proposed covering the area with a light dressing of snow, achieved through synthetic materials that would be biodegradable and wood-based.

11/04/2014 (04/11)

Filming for Avengers: Age of Ultron picked up today at the Rivoli Ballroom in London, England, where several extras were seen dressed in 1940s military garb. Observation would suggest there will be a flashback in the 2015 Marvel sequel involving Steve Rogers, which Chris Evans himself hinted at during an interview last month. However, Evans was joined by his Captain America co-star Hayley Atwell (aka Peggy Carter) for the said scene(s), but they weren't alone. A reliable source reports that British actor Paul Bettany, whose longtime Iron Man voice role J.A.R.V.I.S. will become the humanoid Vision in Age of Ultron, was also on set today.

14/04/2014 (04/14)

Paul Bettany on Vision:

"Oh, [he] can do all sorts of things," said Paul Bettany on Jimmy Kimmel Live! of the Vision's powers in Avengers: Age of Ultron. "But I'm not allowed to really talk about them and what we're going to do because there might be a Marvel agent in the room who will actually wrestle me to the ground and fire me." After commenting that Marvel "pick and choose" powers and abilities from the comics, Bettany went on to discuss going from to just lending his voice to J.A.R.V.I.S. to now physically playing a character. "It's very exciting for me, but everything's a double-edged sword because I was playing JARVIS for years," he said. "My job was I would turn up at a recording studio for 45 minutes, do all my stuff, they would give me a huge bag of cash, and then I would go home. Now, it turns out they've found me out and they want me to actually, ya know, do something. It's not right," joked the actor.

15/04/2014 (04/15)

When Flaunt magazine spoke with Elizabeth Olsen last month, the actress was in Italy filming Avengers: Age of Ultron, which several set photos captured as she portrayed Wanda Maximoff aka the Scarlet Witch. Despite being in town for the Marvel sequel, Olsen kept mum on plot details, but she did address the completely new experience. “Any time they give us a call sheet or any time there’s a new draft, they have to shred our old papers," said Elizabeth of the secrecy surrounding Age of Ultron. “I don’t think I’m allowed to say anything! And I’m too terrified. I really just feel like I’m doing something that’s top secret and somehow has a lot more importance than anything else I’ve been around, so that alone is hilarious. I want to take a photo and send to my friends, not that I want to tweet or Instagram it, just for personal reasons—and I feel like I’m going to get in trouble if I take a photo on set!”

Elizabeth Olsen then went on to discuss her approach to playing a character while indicating that playing the Scarlet Witch as made herself confident physically. “I don’t approach things like ‘I am the character,’” she started. “I don’t think that would be healthy for me. I do think, doing things like The Avengers, I’ve noticed I’ve felt really confident recently. And I think it’s because I get to be very confident physically all day. I get to be a kind of grounded badass. And if that’s rubbing off on me, then that’s fun. But then when you’re playing someone who is weak, then you kind of walk around feeling weak without even realizing it. Anyone can bring that into their lives. It’s in our control to be positive or to be powerful or confident, even though people don’t think it is.”

In other Avengers: Age of Ultron news, an anonymous Twitter source has revealed that both Scarlett Johansson and Samuel L. Jackson were filming scenes recently in the basement of a private UK school, which was transformed into an old Russian hospital. Some other intriguing Age of Ultron nuggets come from Badass Digest, whose owner, Devin Faracii, has teased the Black Panther's presence in the Marvel sequel as well as the Vision's powers and appearance. While covering Paul Bettany’s confirmation that he’ll play The Vision, Faracii declares that the character will definitely fly in the movie and that, according to his sources, The Vision will look very similar to his regular appearance in the comics.

24/04/2014 (04/24)

Talking to Empire Magazine, Kevin Feige was quizzed on whether a character like the Scarlet Witch in Avengers: Age of Ultron could be used as a way of introducing a mytical side to the Marvel Cinematic Universe ahead of the big screen debut of Doctor Strange. "I would say that the Age of Miracles, as Strucker says at the end of that tag, could be a part of that, but the key to their origin is in that tag." So, what will the role of "The Twins" be in the movie? Well, as previously reported, they will indeed be clashing with Earth's Mightiest Heroes to begin with. "They're not very happy with The Avengers. Their powers are not insignificant and they're quite different from what the Avengers have faced before." Talk then turned to the possibility of Paul Bettany playing The Vision, to which Feige responded only with, "Paul Bettany as The Vision? You're confusing me with your mind games." However, the magazine continued to press him for details and asked if the theme of Avengers: Age of Ultron will be fathers and sons as J.A.R.V.I.S. is given his own body. "I wouldn't go that far, in terms of it being that direct a theme. Certainly humanity and humanity's place in our world plays a large part of it, but I think Thor's about fathers and sons, more than this. If one were to confirm anything about Paul Bettany and look at the arc and the line of what Paul has done for us, that's pretty unique and cool and exciting and spins right out of stories we've told in the past." So, should these comments be takes as confirmation that Bettany will indeed be playing the character? "I'm not at this point in time [Laughs]."

Finally, the Marvel Studios President was asked about the Hulkbuster concept art which made its debut during a Marvel special on ABC. What does it mean for Avengers: Age of Ultron? "That little tease was very intentional on our part. We found it a very compelling image to throw out there. The specifics around it we don't have to do for a while. It's a piece of armour we've wanted to see on screen for a long time, let's put it that way. What is the Hulkbuster suit built for?"

Kevin Feige was asked about recent reports that Thanos will indeed be making a physical appearance in James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy, and whether or not he will be a CGI creation as in The Avengers or if they actually have someone in mind to play him. While he wouldn't divulge any details about how the character will be brought to life in the movie, Feige did confirm that the role has ben cast. "There is an actor. I'm not sure we want to announce it yet." Comic-Con? Speaking of which, it was at last year's event in San Diego that Batman Vs. Superman was announced, and it has since been slotted in for release opposite Captain America 3 in 2016. How does the Marvel boss feel about people seeing their decision to not move as a sign of confidence in the franchise? "Well, I'm glad people think that way. We had the flag there first. What other people do and where has always been less of our concern. It's about keeping our head down and doing what we would believe would be cool for an audience to see. I wouldn't say that necessarily." Going back to Guardians of the Galaxy, Feige had this to say about the role of the movie in the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe. "Guardians will feel and seem the most separate. But in a summer where people are going to see a lot of sequels, some of which are ours, and a lot of reboots and familiar faces, we were excited about the idea of bringing something new and totally unexpected to the screen."

Joss, our Glorious Leader, talks Age of Ultron:

Age Of Ultron, of course, involves a certain criss-crossing of villainy. Baron Wolfgang von Strucker (Thomas Kretschmann), Quicksilver (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) and the Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) are all on hand to ramp up the menace levels for the Avengers, with James Spader's Ultron delivering megalomania galore. For Whedon, though, each character has a carefully designed place in the story; none is superfluous or there as fan bait. "I fiercely dislike the idea of just throwing in more people for the sake of doing that," he stressed. "But last time I had all of Earth's Mightiest Heroes versus one British character actor, and I needed more conflict."

So what of his uber-bad, then? "I'm having a blast with Ultron," Whedon said. "He's not a creature of logic - he's a robot who's genuinely disturbed. We're finding out what makes him menacing and at the same time endearing and funny and strange and unexpected, and everything a robot never is."

It's certainly a departure for a Marvel character who probably wouldn't list a 'GSOH' on his dating profile. Then again, we think he might scare potential Mrs Ultrons away anyway, what with the daddy issues and the pathological hatred of humanity.

As for the movie's UK locations, Whedon explained how he plans to use them to give his sequel a fresh aesthetic. "The number of different looks and textures and moods we're getting from the British locations is stupid awesome", he enthused, "because this, palette-wise, is very different. I'm trying to make a different film. Because why would you make one movie twice? That seems weird."

Concept Art

M4lyDteJ.jpg

SMAEtsWP.jpg

5328eb46e9cbd.jpg

JmGxIcu.jpg

5RdV7dM.jpg

0vEbBPb.jpg

Production stills

South Africa shoot
hulk-on-south-africa-set-of-age-of-ultron_1783.jpg

_1393283590.jpg

_1393283584.jpg

_1393283577.jpg

ipAI6HG.jpg

eGv5n9p.jpg

Italy shoot
kyx8.jpg

08ge.jpg

6aij.jpg

vr4k.jpg

tbly.jpg

aotb.jpg

jbf0.jpg

l27m.jpg

gop6.jpg

z4ad.jpg

er4p.jpg

dzgh.jpg

xi61.jpg

e7n5.jpg

Ultron
9b31.png

2c9t.png

w4nz.png

Bjg-wpHCcAAxleY.jpg:large

2epj.jpg

o4zq.png

z58z.jpg

Quicksilver
hgzi.jpg

3pl9.png

cdkr.jpg

tgpv.jpg

480329787-joss-whedon-and-aaron-taylor-johnson-are-gettyimages.jpg

480335417-aaron-taylor-johnson-is-seen-filming-on-gettyimages.jpg

480330103-aaron-taylor-johnson-is-seen-filming-on-gettyimages.jpg

jtmh.jpg

b4k2RFK.jpg

Gkr7Siq.jpg

Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch
BjgXmalCQAAt4Ok.jpg

pk54.jpg

shjr.jpg

480335399-elizabeth-olsen-and-jeremy-renner-are-seen-gettyimages.jpg

k5ui.jpg

23y4.jpg

lfma.jpg

qbbc.jpg

jwjh.jpg

eydd.jpg

v8mx.jpg

a3zi.jpg

dqu8.jpg

3x5f.jpg

TOUnZlM.jpg

ZXSjP3C.jpg

CNG8NF2V1092-k65H--640x360@LaStampa.it.jpg

YGX374CJ1868-674-k65H--640x360@LaStampa.it.jpg

weu2.jpg

dajo.jpg

1yz1.jpg

lx9o.jpg

l7qa.jpg

Iron Man
Xe2WaN7.jpg

The Maximoff Twins
oZkTMIt.jpg

92yWUpg.jpg

eNjnMuO.jpg

ut6gAQA.jpg

South Korea shoot
ppxu.png

Captain AMERICA YEAH
Mow6scr.jpg

C8TZAj0.jpg

2glf.png

lwes.jpg

6z9i.jpg

9oyy.jpg

k7kn.jpg

qf0f.jpg

tzh9.jpg

1c4k.jpg

kmjd.jpg

6nyo.jpg

3g6w.jpg

2z8e.jpg

vkuf.png

7pt1.png

me3j.png

9bq7.png

jzul.png

ookm.jpg

6v0e.jpg

i5pg.jpg

llel.jpg

kryl.jpg

Black Widow
Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Set-Photos-Black-Widow-7.jpg

A3kbBA2.jpg

Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Set-Photos-Black-Widow-14.jpg

Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Set-Photos-Black-Widow-8.jpg

Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Set-Photos-Black-Widow-3.jpg

England Shoot
2c6t.jpg

JS34711983.jpg

London
ipmt.jpg

vbhd.jpg

ip95.jpg

Set photo of Robert Downey Jr
Bl2g4QECMAAtavy.jpg

Credit to shield for some of the HQ images.

Brian Tyler ('Iron Man 3' & 'Thor: The Dark World') has officially signed on to score Marvel Studios’ 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'.
Source: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/03/19/brian-tyler-to-score-avengers-age-of-ultron/

Footage of Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch.

Robert Downey Jr. on Avengers: Age of Ultron

“This one is a very ambitious sequel. If you read it, it’s dense, it’s smart. Joss [Whedon] is a really smart guy. My 2-year-old is crazy about Hawkeye, and I think Jeremy [Renner] has a lot to do with the plot. There’s always so many plates to spin to get these things half-right, and I’m really excited about this one.”

Footage of new Captain America outfit, as worn by stunt doubles in South Korea.

Lou Ferrigno to voice the Hulk again.

Busty

Banned
In an unrelated matter a friend of mine was working at Pinewood last year. He was outside smoking a cigarette when a female voice behind him said "Can I borrow a light?"

He turned round to oblige the young lady and stunned to find a tall, bald, blue woman standing in front of him wearing a 'space dress' (direct quote) as she was an extra in Guardians of The Galaxy.

If I get any Avenger/smoking related anecdotes I'll be sure to share them.

It's scheduled to release next summer, right?

Updated post with release date.

In an unrelated matter a friend of mine was working at Pinewood last year. He was outside smoking a cigarette when a female voice behind him said "Can I borrow a light?"

He turned round to oblige the young lady and stunned to find a tall, bald, blue woman standing in front of him wearing a 'space dress' (direct quote) as she was an extra in Guardians of The Galaxy.

Could've been Karen Gillan who is playing Nebula in GOTG, but she isn't an extra. She fits the description, though.

Randdalf

Kind of funny how all these big budget Hollywood movies are actually Pinewood movies. Tax credits at work I guess.

Busty

Banned
Kind of funny how all these big budget Hollywood movies are actually Pinewood movies. Tax credits at work I guess.

What's weird is that the tax credits combined the great facilities in England has actually created a bottleneck with productions finding that there simply aren't enough sound stages to go around and accommodate everyone. Wales and Scotland don't have anything that can compare to what's on offer in England so space is limited.

It's the main reason that Warner Bros bought over the Leavesden facility and are (apparently) intending to aggressively expand it.

Updated post with release date.

Could've been Karen Gillan who is playing Nebula in GOTG, but she isn't an extra. She fits the description, though.

Actually I doubt my friend would have recognised Karen Gillan so it could very well have been her.

That thought never actually occurred to me. Good catch! :)

Actually I doubt my friend would have recognised Karen Gillan so it could very well have been her.

That thought never actually occurred to me. Good catch! :)

;)

Also, I want to add this in the thread but not the OP: Ant-Man will not be shot in the UK due to there being no space left in the studios.

Patryn

So has RDJ signed on for this yet? Last I heard he was holding out to try to increase his co-stars' paydays?

NekoFever

She's also a smoker.

It's funny how our film industry tries to claim them because they're shot here too. Like Gravity being nominated for Best British Film at the BAFTAs despite being written and directed by a Mexican (albeit one who lives in the UK) with an American cast for an American studio with American money.

RangerX

Banned
The hype machine has begun. I can't fuckin wait for this. Ultron on screen man. I was actually buzzing when I came out of the first one so hopefully this will be similar.

To comic readers, how strong is Ultron?
I thought he's just a robot.

-Adamantium plated armor, self-repair capabilities
-Superhuman strength, speed, stamina, reflexes
-Powerful concussive energy blasts and an "encephelo-ray" strong enough to induce a coma or mind-control effects
-Genius-level intellect, highly creative and deceptive.

He started as just a robot but became much, much more. He can lay the smackdown on the Avengers for sure.

Tobor

-Powerful concussive energy blasts and an "encephelo-ray" strong enough to induce a coma or mind-control effects

He started as just a robot but became much, much more. He can lay the smackdown on the Avengers for sure.

Not sure they can mention adamantium, not that it really matters. He'll be sufficiently hard to beat either way.

NotLiquid

I thought I was beyond teaser trailers that basically revealed nothing and were mostly composed of recycled material.

But the Avengers 2 reveal was mad fucking hype. That build up. That moment when you are not entirely sure what's going to be the main plot point. Then it bursts out, and that droning sound creates the ultimate crescendo.

What happened to Thanos? Wasn't it him at the end of Avengers 1 though?

Not that Ultron isn't awesome.

Thanos is the ultimate endgame villain. Thor 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy are already slowly building things up.

kurahador

Will fuck things and ppl up quick.

O..kay.....those seems ridiculous.

I hope captain Americas hield gets destroyed by Ultron/Thanos and that sets up him being sent to wakanda to meet black panther.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom