• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron |Spoiler Thread| Thanos Dies in This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone re-explain Vision's origin from the movie, for me? How organic is he? He had vibranium? Was his consciousness literally just Jarvis+Mind Gem=vision, or was there more to it?

What was it that determined his morality? I was sort've distracted by how good he looked and sounded that I don't think I absorbed the words fully.

Blader

It wasn't just you. His transformations/upgrades were pretty poorly handled.

He goes from zombie robot to basically his final form, design-wise, in about 10 minutes. Every "upgrade" after that just looked like he got bigger.

The Vibranium body was the only upgrade after that.

I really liked Hawkeye's speech to Scarlet Witch.

"We're fighting an army of robots on a flying city! You have psychic powers! I have a bow and arrow! None of this makes any sense!"

Or something along those lines.

Sobriquet

Sorry if this has been frequently covered, but the thread is huge. Is there a pic of Wanda in her costume? I totally missed that at the end.

Sorry if this has been frequently covered, but the thread is huge. Is there a pic of Wanda in her costume? I totally missed that at the end.
0upiTH7.gif

That's mainly what they were. Just fodder to keep the Avengers busy while Ultron completed his plan. Ultron made it clear that he wanted to be the one responsible for the Avengers' deaths, not his minions.

But Ultron was all of them - hence his conversation with Vision through the weaker drone at the end of the battle as it was trying to escape.

Carbonox

Loved Wanda's little entrance at the end in her new gettup. My favourite character of the film I think and can't wait to see more of her. Do we know if Olsen's signed up to more than just Civil War? She's gotta remain as a primary character now. :p

a916

Anyone else have an issue with how stupid and convoluted Ultron's final plan was?

What the hell was up with him and his fascination with an asteroid that made THAT plan so important?

And if he was able to make a giant drill of Vibranium, couldn't he have taken like 1% and coated himself with it?

For an AI awakening and going full on Skynet, that was such a terrible execution for an AI hell bent on "protecting by destroying humanity."

Chuckie

Loved Wanda's little entrance at the end in her new gettup. My favourite character of the film I think and can't wait to see more of her. Do we know if Olsen's signed up to more than just Civil War? She's gotta remain as a primary character now. :p

I agree with you mate! I think I read somewhere she would show up in Civil War, but I don't know if that is a rumor or confirmed.

Carbonox

Anyone else have an issue with how stupid and convoluted Ultron's final plan was?

What the hell was up with him and his fascination with an asteroid that made THAT plan so important?

And if he was able to make a giant drill of Vibranium, couldn't he have taken like 1% and coated himself with it?

For an AI awakening and going full on Skynet, that was such a terrible execution for an AI hell bent on "protecting by destroying humanity."

Probably saw that it was so successful based on history that it would be again. He was going after nuclear launch codes as well though (either as the primary plan initially, backup plan should the asteroid thing not work or as an additional salvo against Earth) so it may not have been his ONLY plan to strive for.

Can anyone re-explain Vision's origin from the movie, for me? How organic is he? He had vibranium? Was his consciousness literally just Jarvis+Mind Gem=vision, or was there more to it?

What was it that determined his morality? I was sort've distracted by how good he looked and sounded that I don't think I absorbed the words fully.

I think it's just like you said. I guess the Gem gave him extra powers, hence he could shoot a laser out of his forehead, but I took it to simply be a version of JARVIS, probably with some extra knowledge from his encounters (and victories against) Ultron, and his pre-existing code controlling stuff like morality and loyalty. JARVIS was pretty much already there, as he controlled the Iron Legion already, it's just that he got the body from the hot Korean doctor's lab.

jmood88

He was obsessed with God ending life and starting everything over. I don't know why he was fascinated with meteorites specifically but I guess he just liked how the dinosaurs were wiped out and wanted to emulate that. He was an insane robot, though.

His last body was made with Vibranium but Vision was supposed to be his ultimate form.

Neoxon

I need to rewatch this ASAP.

Fucking brilliant flick.
I need to rewatch it to be sure of any critiques I may have had. My little brother hated the opening scene but enjoyed the rest of the film, I guess the 2nd viewing may open my eyes to that if at all.

E the Shaggy

It kind of seems weird that they didn't go into why Stark came out of retirement from Iron Man 3. That seemed like the definitive ending for him.

I need to rewatch it to be sure of any critiques I may have had. My little brother hated the opening scene but enjoyed the rest of the film, I guess the 2nd viewing may open my eyes to that if at all.

I don't want to do a total 180 on this movie on the second viewing, but it might happen

I totally loved the opening scene when they're storming the base. Thought it was great

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
It kind of seems weird that they didn't go into why Stark came out of retirement from Iron Man 3. That seemed like the definitive ending for him.

That's actually one of the things I liked the most about this movie, they spent absolutely no time explaining how the Avengers came back together, just that they reunited to hunt down HYDRA. I'm sure there's a tie-in comic that explains it, though.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
It is really good. Its funny, touching, and has impressive action; everything you could want in a blockbuster movie. I liked Ultron's motivation and creative plan, but he isn't as much of a physical threat as I had hoped. Other than that, the new characters are good additions to the cast. Despite a lot of reviews I read, I think the story stands on its own and isn't too bloated with world-building. Overall I'd say Marvel did it again: crafting a large scale superhero movie with beautiful character moments and unbelievable action. I'm excited to watch it again very soon.

Renekton

Nothing about IM3 said he was retiring.

All he did was destroy the suits he made during post-Avengers1 PTSD era.

There was even a "Iron Man will be back" at end of movie.

I think it's just like you said. I guess the Gem gave him extra powers, hence he could shoot a laser out of his forehead, but I took it to simply be a version of JARVIS, probably with some extra knowledge from his encounters (and victories against) Ultron, and his pre-existing code controlling stuff like morality and loyalty. JARVIS was pretty much already there, as he controlled the Iron Legion already, it's just that he got the body from the hot Korean doctor's lab.

Well, it's supposed to be a mix - as he says himself in the film. He has the personality base of JARVIS but the sentience and powers of the Mind Gem (which itself is basically one of the most sophisticated programs in the universe). I gather some vibranium was involved in the body construction (plus the skin provided by K-Doc) to enable his phase powers and generally make him relatively invincible (by Ultron standards).

Ultron's final form was comparatively disappointing because it didn't seem that different or "vibranium strength"

Kinyou

Didn't even know she'll be in Civil War. Really interested where they'll go with her character. She seems actually very fine in that shot but I imagine that she's more broken inside
after QSs death

HeySeuss

I was a little disappointed that the movie didn't divide the team more to set up Civil War. Seems like the public will have more influence on the teams split than of their own beliefs.

For somebody that doesn't know the comics and gets my info from here, I wouldn't have even known that a split of the group is on the horizon based on the events of the movie. Yeah they were mad at Tony for creating Ultron, but it wasn't something they really dwelled much on.

E the Shaggy

And bravo to Whedon for making the Vision so cool.

That final conversation between Vision and Ultron was probably one of my favorite scenes of the flick.

Also, heard quite a few gasps in my theater when Vision lifted the hammer.

Neoxon

Though I have a feeling that War Machine may switch over to Stark's side for Civil War.

That final conversation between Vision and Ultron was probably one of my favorite scenes of the flick.

This. Vision & the Twins definitely delivered.

Sanctuary

Prior to the film's release, there was that quote from Whedon about there being a scene that was intended for Captain Marvel that was changed to Scarlet Witch at the last minute. I'm willing to bet it's the very last shot where the "Cap Avengers" are together. Whedon said it was "a shot where a character flies in for a signature moment" and they changed because they didn't think it'd be a proper introduction.

Edit: Yep, that's the scene.

http://badassdigest.com/2015/04/14/joss-whedon-shot-fx-plates-for-captain-marvel-in-age-of-ultron/

That ending scene was really odd. It actually looked to me like they were introducing a new character in the first shot, but then I kind of assumed it was just Wanda...with her hair suddenly dyed blonde?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
What was the big deal with not letting Cap say "Assemble"? The first one was chuckle-worthy, but it seemed really odd at the end there.

Ithil

That ending scene was really odd. It actually looked to me like they were introducing a new character in the first shot, but then I kind of assumed it was just Wanda...with her hair suddenly dyed blonde?

It's just a lighter brown. It's the hairstyle change to curls that makes her look different.

a916

People really liked that Vision makeup? It looked so terrible to me. Red face paint, hated it.

Yeah, Vision grabbing the hammer got the loudest OOOOHH,

DeathyBoy

Banned
Thought I should share, but here's a video of a bunch of people sticking around until the very end of the credits and (as many of you know) getting fucking nothing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrG-nxZ17qw

It's lame as shit that they're ending that tradition.

I mean how hard would it have been to have Nick Fury walk into Avengers HQ, see Vision, the two trade a look, and Nick Fury gets pissed off that Vision has three eyes and he's only got one.

NICK FURY: Gonna have to get me one of those gems.

I can't imagine they hire anyone for these movies without the option for at least a couple of sequels.

I was a little disappointed that the movie didn't divide the team more to set up Civil War. Seems like the public will have more influence on the teams split than of their own beliefs.

For somebody that doesn't know the comics and gets my info from here, I wouldn't have even known that a split of the group is on the horizon based on the events of the movie. Yeah they were mad at Tony for creating Ultron, but it wasn't something they really dwelled much on.

I took this to indicate that there are cracks forming in the team, and the catalyst, like the comics, will be the New Warriors blowing up a town when fighting a villain or villains.

Sanctuary

It's just a lighter brown. It's the hairstyle change to curls that makes her look different.

The lighting made it look more than just a lighter brown. It was lighter than dishwater blonde too when they had a shot of her on the ground. Anyway, it took me a few seconds to realize that it was even the same character. But yeah, the curls didn't help matters either.

Hey look, it's the new Jennifer Lawrence character!

This. Vision & the Twins definitely delivered.

The Twins were...okay. Not bad, but not great. Weak/brushed over character motivations, but both actors did a lot with what they had.

Still unclear on what Scarlet Witch's powers are. She's got the power of Scarecrow's nightmare gas, which can also blow up robots.

What was the big deal with not letting Cap say "Assemble"? The first one was chuckle-worthy, but it seemed really odd at the end there.

Ugh, it was so fucking stupid.

E the Shaggy

Still unclear on what Scarlet Witch's powers are. She's got the power of Scarecrow's nightmare gas, which can also blow up robots.

Hill explains that she can manipulate peoples' minds and has telekenesis.

She's basically Jean Grey from the X-Men rather than having reality altering powers (which are way too difficult to explain anyway)

The Twins were...okay. Not bad, but not great. Weak/brushed over character motivations, but both actors did a lot with what they had.

Ugh, it was so fucking stupid.

I believe she can bend space and he can bend time. He is fast and she is weird.

kurahador

The same can be said about Ultron. First we see him firing lasers which makes sense I guess considering he's a robot, then in Korea we see him levitate roads.
I mean wth??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom