• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailer #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

If someone is seriously injures or even dies, I'm betting he tried to stop it but couldn't.

That's something that could leave him haunted, that even with all the power of the Hulk, he couldn't stop someone he cares(?) about from being hurt/killed.

I'm guessing it's from having SW messing with his head. The shot of Hulk's hand out in front of Widow seems like a scene where Hulk might be getting confused/losing control of who he is and recognizes. Cue the Hulk/IM battle in the streets. After, Banner is all shaken up after having been fucked with and put out of control like that.

.GqueB.

Banned
Not a fan of the mouth at all... it ruins the menacing look he had. So we'll never see this shape of eyes/mouth in this incarnation.

Age-of-Ultron-Art-Marvel-Comicsjpg.jpg

They humanized the crap out of his eyes and mouth to the point where, the more I look at it, the more awful it actually looks.

*You now see his mouth as eyes*

Dai101

Banned
My theory:

Quicksilver gets his powers from Loki's Scepter. Tesseract=Time Stone - super speed

Hydra somehow gets ahold of some shards of the Aether left over from Thor and Malekith's battle in London and use it on Wanda, explaining the red bolts of magic. Aether=Reality Stone - Scarlet Witch can manipulate reality now.

Interesting. Even if we know it involved the Scepter Loki forgot.

Also in the whole Civil War stuff
I'm thinking that this will involve the World Security Council + USA and the Army vs. every other metahuman, including the Avengers team, Coulson's dollar_storeSHIELD and the other guys in the Netflix shows

GAMEPROFF

Banned
For someone who doesn't know much about the comics, is there any particular reason Iron Man is fighting Hulk?
We havent seen the movie yet, too ;)

The last time they fought with Tony in the Hulkbuster, Hulk declared War on a group of Heroes who shoot him into space. He fellt in love with warrior woman there who got killed as the spaceship exploded. He tought Tony and the others constructed the spaceship as a bomb and seeked for revenge.
Its very unlikely that a similar thing will happen in the movie ;)

You know the most hyped aspect of the first Avenger trailers were with Hulk and Ironman too. The scene in which Hulk caught Ironman in mid-air got everyone all sorts of giddy. Marvel knows what's up to tease Hulkbuster versus Hulk.

My theory:

Quicksilver gets his powers from Loki's Scepter. Tesseract=Time Stone - super speed

Hydra somehow gets ahold of some shards of the Aether left over from Thor and Malekith's battle in London and use it on Wanda, explaining the red bolts of magic. Aether=Reality Stone - Scarlet Witch can manipulate reality now.

Digging your theories, dude. Having a blah day but hanging out in this thread has been fun.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
As someone who doesn't follow Marvel much, this was quite a good reveal.

Looks much better than the first.

I'm telling you Marvel is getting their shit together. Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy were great! Hope they continue the tradition!

I'm guessing it's from having SW messing with his head. The shot of Hulk's hand out in front of Widow seems like a scene where Hulk might be getting confused/losing control of who he is and recognizes. Cue the Hulk/IM battle in the streets. After, Banner is all shaken up after having been fucked with and put out of control like that.

That does sound more plausible and something that would genuinely leave him shaken.

If memory serves, don't the twins start out as villains? If so, that could be seen as adding more weight to Scarlett being the reason he looks so haunted/shaken.

That does sound more plausible and something that would genuinely leave him shaken.

If memory serves, don't the twins start out as villains? If so, that could be seen as adding more weight to Scarlett being the reason he looks so haunted/shaken.

I have a feeling they aren't going to be outright evil in the beginning of the film. We know Hydra has held them captive for some time and has experimented on them and done some pretty horrible things. They're probably under extreme duress and forced to attack the Avengers even against their own will.

I'm thinking that confrontation is going to keep the Avengers occupied while Ultron is starting to become self-aware and fucking insane in the background, and the team will save the twins from him and they'll realize they're on the wrong side, and are safe from Hydra with the Avengers backing them up.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I have a feeling they aren't going to be outright evil in the beginning of the film. We know Hydra has held them captive for some time and has experimented on them and done some pretty horrible things. They're probably under extreme duress and forced to attack the Avengers even against their own will.

I'm thinking that confrontation is going to keep the Avengers occupied while Ultron is starting to become self-aware and fucking insane in the background, and the team will save the twins from him and they'll realize they're on the wrong side, and are safe from Hydra with the Avengers backing them up.

Actually from the trailer, it looks like Ultron recruits the twins to fight on his side.

Howard stark, tessaract, arch reactor? Holy shit, why did i never make the connection......be sick if its legit. Adds a shit ton of depth and retrospect. Damn.

That trailer was pretty epic... though the style kinda reminded me of the Iron Man 3 trailer.

Hopefully the twist isn't that Ultron is actually just an actor.

TWBBp2z.jpg

That's not at all why they did it. They did it because for top level actors like Spader, half the act is in the facial expressions. You can't get facial expressions if you have no face. I welcome the change.

If he was a top level actor he could've made do without the facial expressions. If Tom Hardy can act with a mask covering 90% of his face as Bane, Karl Urban with only his mouth visible as Dredd, and James Early Jones wearing a completely immobile mask as Vader, then Spader can make do with just his tone and inflections.

It's a weak excuse, for a "top level" actor

Personally, Ultron at the end of that trailer creeped me the hell out and not just his voice but his movement. A giant, wide open mouth that never moves would look silly on the big screen I imagine.

jmood88

Not a fan of the mouth at all... it ruins the menacing look he had. So we'll never see this shape of eyes/mouth in this incarnation.

They humanized the crap out of his eyes and mouth to the point where, the more I look at it, the more awful it actually looks.

I don't understand why people keep acting like this is what Ultron will look like for the entire movie. They used his face from the comics on a poster so it's pretty clear that this is just one of the many forms that Ultron will take over the course of the movie.

I'm big fan of it. He looks freaky in the trailer.

I like this much better as well, but I wonder if the humanization of his face has to do with creating a model that Spader could effectively emote and act through.

I like this much better as well, but I wonder if the humanization of his face has to do with creating a model that Spader could effectively emote and act through.

ding ding ding

it's stupid to get a great actor like spader to voice the character and just have a static robot face.

it's the kind thing that looks great in art/animation but would look silly in a live action film.

even if his "final form" looks less human and more like the classic comic style, I still expect him to have functioning eyes and mouth.

Sheroking

ding ding ding

it's stupid to get a great actor like spader to voice the character and just have a static robot face.

it's the kind thing that looks great in art/animation but would look silly in a live action film.

even if his "final form" looks less human and more like the classic comic style, I still expect him to have functioning eyes and mouth.

A good example of this would be Green Goblin in Spider-Man 1. One of the most expressive actors in the world with a power-rangers helmet covering his whole face. The dialog scene between him and Spider-Man in costume was ridiculous.

A good example of this would be Green Goblin in Spider-Man 1. One of the most expressive actors in the world with a power-rangers helmet covering his whole face. The dialog scene between him and Spider-Man in costume was ridiculous.

Or the 3 examples I posted who somehow managed...

Tom Hardy (Bane)
Karl Urban (Dredd)
James Earl Jones (Vader)

And, considering how imposing he sounds just listening to his voice over during the trailer, even without it being attached to anything, I honestly don't think it would have turned out as badly as you guys (or the people making the movie) seem to think.

In fact, the scene at 30 secs is how I'd imagine it to be. Seeing his jerky robotic movements and expressionless face combined with his eerily human mannerisms and emoting, actually contributes to the creepiness

Tom Hardy (Bane)
Karl Urban (Dredd)
James Earl Jones (Vader)

2 of those 3 characters, you can still see their eyes or mouth moving. And I love Jones/Vader but I don't think he was particularly emotive, just a really cool, intimidating character with an interesting story behind him.

Ultron isn't just a creepy robot, he's legitimately bat-shit insane and you really need to have the character able to portray those things in an expressive manner for it to be really effective. It works in comics with effective writing, but you can elevate the character to something further with CGI facial capture.

Sheroking's Green Goblin example is spot on. This is a character who is also mentally unstable, and he just looked stupid with that dumb helmet on. The acting didn't portray him as crazy outside of "wow this guy is fucking nuts for wearing something so stupid looking." Look at how effective Dafoe is at portraying Osborne's increasing insanity when he's unmasked, compared to him bouncing his head around and moving his hands around to emote like a fucking power rangers character.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

Tom Hardy (Bane)
Karl Urban (Dredd)
James Earl Jones (Vader)

And, considering how imposing he sounds just listening to his voice over during the trailer, even without it being attached to anything, I honestly don't think it would have turned out as badly as you guys (or the people making the movie) seem to think

wait a minute....Karl Urban had his mouth exposed and played a character that was the embodiment of the law , James Earl Jones was the voice actor, he had a guy in a suit doin Vaders body movements, JEJ aint that damn tall..., Bane had cool lines and fighting scenes what does Hardy's face have to do with his fame? he wasn't motion captured. What is the is the famous bane facial expression or pose? There isn't one besides trash talking meme screen caps. He has classic lines and beat Batmans ass.

Fiktion

Banned
Could also go in the opposite direction -
Ultron hijkacks the Hulkbuster armor

Can't be, we see Tony in his regular suit inside the Hulkbuster and you can see pieces of the Hulkbuster flying in like in Iron Man 3.

Probably Hulk goes crazy and Tony has to activate his Hulk contingency plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom