• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

Fucking awful if true

Seems to be very real

"Well SRG, another year is over. This AGDQ was a very successful one. I brought a friend with to help this year and we ended up splitting the loot. I already sold most of the system, controllers, and a bunch of games on the drive back home. This is what is let over.

So far I have made a profit of over $1100 and still have this to sell. I love free vacations and I love these events :)"

Someone asked if people just leave their games unattended in the open.

"A large part was from the multiple fire alarms. Mostly it was people just leaving stuff lie around. No one watches their stuff at these events. There was no security. It was just a bunch of trips back and forth taking a few at a time not to look suspicious."

"You can believe what you want. I have done this for the past 2 years now. I don't have people to donate me hundreds of dollars for a free vacation, so I have to fund it some other way. The only reason I'm showing it this year is because next year there will be too much security to steal anything. Romscout and others have already said that it has grown too large so more staff and security is needeed."

Someone in the thread noted at least one game (nba jam or something?) in that picture that he'd seen set up on a TV and then later on heard the people running complaining about their missing their cartridge.

So what games are really worth it to watch back. There's so much I dont know where to start. Watched the whole Yoshi's Island one which was amazing :D

yeah i can't help but feel like there'd be bigger uproar about moderately pricey stuff like conker being stolen. hell, i'm sure there'd be posts on twitter if even some cheap games were stolen.

but lol if someone went out of their way to steal a copy of vegas stakes. who would even bring that game to agdq

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
yeah i can't help but feel like there'd be bigger uproar about moderately pricey stuff like conker being stolen. hell, i'm sure there'd be posts on twitter if even some cheap games were stolen.

but lol if someone went out of their way to steal a copy of vegas stakes. who would even bring that game to agdq

Yeah, I'm not sure if I buy it. We'll have to wait for someone at AGDQ to speak out.

matm666

So what games are really worth it to watch back. There's so much I dont know where to start. Watched the whole Yoshi's Island one which was amazing :D
Mario lost levels, and 3, Megaman Race and Punch Out Nes/Wii I Need to watch a lot more though

I forgot, Shovel Knight was great too!

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any other runs were devs were present? I've seen Battleblock Theater and Shovel Knight.

Konomori

Neo Member
Sad that it is already over :-( . My favorite Run was definitely Vanquish one handed simply because he has the same handicap like me.

Wookieomg

I know I was a part of the Twitch GAF chat during most of the event. Think I only posted in here a couple of times. Great event overall, looking forward to sharing SGDQ with GAF again in the summer. :)

Minions

What was the final donation count (not included humble bundle etc); Did they hit a million without humble bundle? I went to sleep after the OOT glitch fest; right before the OOT 100% run.

evilalien

What was the final donation count (not included humble bundle etc); Did they hit a million without humble bundle? I went to sleep after the OOT glitch fest; right before the OOT 100% run.

$1,490,299.11 (and still rising a bit), and they easily broke $1M without the humble bundle contribution which was $191,547.21

Hmm, got more posts in the thread last year. Weird. Not many more, but more. Wonder why.

I think mostly because of Twitch chat. Many times I've stopped myself from posting in the thread because I didn't think my one liner warranted a post, and instead posted it in the chat.

TUSR

Banned
Woah woah woah... GAF chat was my favorite part of the event! What problems were there? Why don't you want another twitch GAF chat for SGDQ? :(

GAF chat was great, I just think there is potential for it to be even better. And to do so, we need to switch platforms. IRC is easier to connect to, and doesn't require an invite and the domain will be static. A decent amount of people got booted from the group chat randomly, and it wouldn't load the chat if there were page refreshes.

Hmm, got more posts in the thread last year. Weird. Not many more, but more. Wonder why.

Probably having a GAF Twitch chat sucked up some of the random "so cool!" type of posts.

More views this thread, less posts. GAF chat succeeded in some form.

Also, bonus stream was nothing this year. Last year we had almost a week.

Oidisco

I discovered a nice bunch of runners this year that I hadn't heard of before for whatever reason. Runnerguy, Michael Goldfish, Ysalamiri, Striker, Jakafur and a few more. In Strikers case, he didn't run anything but I went back and watched his Super Star Wars runs last year and they were really entertaining!

So yea, good haul this year!

I didn't get a chance to post in this thread to much, if at all, dive I was busy multitasking while watching the stream. However I was with Mobile Twitch chat which is considerably better than Event Twitch Chat. Looking forward to SGDQ.
And yeah That Boshy run made me for Witwix mid stream lol.

RedToad64

I guess every charity event needs to have a douchebag who steals shit.
Wow, that's absolutely awful. It makes it even worse when you see stuff like Bomberman, and you can assume it belongs to one of the guys who did that run.
EDIT: Now users are saying it's fake. I hope that is the case!

Tizoc

What games do you like to see in future GDQs?
My list include
Velocity 2X
Freedom Planet
Cadillacs vs. Dinosaurs
Final Fight

Off the top of my head atm :p

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My list include
Velocity 2X
Freedom Planet
Cadillacs vs. Dinosaurs
Final Fight

I'd love to see Cadillacs & Dinosaurs develop more of a following. Easily my favorite beat-em-up of all time.

Freedom Planet would be a solid choice, too.

RedToad64

My list include
Velocity 2X
Freedom Planet
Cadillacs vs. Dinosaurs
Final Fight

I'd be surprised if Freedom Planet didn't show up during SGDQ. It's perfect for speedrunning.

Top Bottom