• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azealia Banks is trying to define "faggot" on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like some of Azealia's music, but her co-opting ballroom culture for her music has always seemed suspect and like a well timed marketing gimmick. I remember reading something about how she tried to get Leyomi Mizrahi, who is a really well known ballroom performer, to perform at the Mermaid Ball and Leyomi canceled because she didn't like what Azealia was saying about ballroom culture.

She also had some stupid beef with all the seapunk kids when she released her last video because she was biting their style and then rubbing it in their face.

She's an opportunist and will do or say whatever to get some publicity. It's sad, I wanted to like her, but she acts like a moron.

I like some of Azealia's music, but her co-opting ballroom culture for her music has always seemed suspect and like a well timed marketing gimmick. I remember reading something about how she tried to get Leyomi Mizrahi, who is a really well known ballroom performer, to perform at the Mermaid Ball and Leyomi canceled because she didn't like what Azealia was saying about ballroom culture.

She also had some stupid beef with all the seapunk kids when she released her last video because she was biting their style and then rubbing it in their face.

She's an opportunist and will do or say whatever to get some publicity. It's sad, I wanted to like her, but she acts like a moron.

I had to google Seapunk.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/sea-punk

What the fuck? This shit is beyond stupid.

Seapunk is a subgenre of electronic dance music, fashion trend and design style created online by a small group of social media enthusiasts. Seapunk gained popularity as it was shared, forwarded, and linked across the internet.

tumblr_mevze3gDDv1r8u2r3o1_500.jpg

#mess

She's certainly defined moron accurately!

oneils

Maybe Hicks? Jesus. Yes, people like Clay play a character. Louis CK also sometimes plays a character. You seem to have missed the point. So you you think he did not feel that way about the words cunt and faggot? And yet you are using it as an example of why people shouldn't be offended? You need to stop and think for a bit.

Watch C.K.'s set to the end, again. By the end you will see that the whole set was leading up to one point, and joke.

People should be responsible for the shitty words they use.

He kind of subverts all of the laughs he got up to that point.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Well she can kiss her career goodbye. She turned off the more traditional hip hop crowd (which doesn't even check for her much) long ago, and now she has pissed off her bread and butter: gay men and straight female pop fans.

tumblr_m7pgpjhJAP1qzw3rlo1_250.gif

yea...

if a rapper uses the word 'faggot' , their career's over.

smh

oneils

I don't get how it's a weak argument.

It's kind of a cheap way to put all of the responsibility on the offended party.

I think a lot of people missed the actual joke in Louie C.K.'s set. He is actually pointing out that people should be responsible for the words they use and not the other way around.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I think a lot of people missed the actual joke in Louie C.K.'s set. He is actually pointing out that people should be responsible for the words they use and not the other way around.

Exactly.

Dead Man

Watch C.K.'s set to the end, again. By the end you will see that the whole set was leading up to one point, and joke.

People should be responsible for the shitty words they use.

He kind of subverts all of the laughs he got up to that point.

Yeah, I'll buy that, which just reinforces the point more. He was making a point, and it is a shitty argument to present that routine as an argument in favour of being able to say the words faggot, cunt, or nigger with impunity.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Even though she comes off as a complete and utter idiot/asshole. There is a small nugget in what she is saying.

Slurs only make sense if they apply to a more specific subset of the group that is being insulted. If Faggot= all gay men, then the slur literally means nothing besides the fact that the speaker does not think highly of gay men.

White trash - Does not apply to all white people when used as an insult.

Faggot - Flamboyant gay man

Nigger - Someone who fits the "ghetto black" stereotype.

Bitch - Female who is mean to others for no legitimate reason.

That said I don't think calling someone a slur is ever appropriate, but in my experience they have always been words to describe someone as an example of a bad stereotype of their sex/race/sexual orientation/nationality etc.

The same can be applied to many insults that are not necessarily slurs.

Bible thumper - Religious person who tries to impose their beliefs on others. Aka not all Christians.

Whore - Would by definition be someone who has sex for money. Is used as an insult for anyone who uses sex to have their way whether it be emotional abuse, better standing career wise, etc etc.

Cracker - Someone doing something in a very stereotypical white way. Usually used for comedic effect. I've never heard anyone take a real insult to "cracker" just laugh at the joke.

Even though she comes off as a complete and utter idiot/asshole. There is a small nugget in what she is saying.

Slurs only make sense if they apply to a more specific subset of the group that is being insulted. If Faggot= all gay men, then the slur literally means nothing besides the fact that the speaker does not think highly of gay men.

That said I don't think calling someone a slur is ever appropriate, but in my experience they have always been words to describe someone as an example of a bad stereotype of their sex/race/sexual orientation/nationality etc.

Bible thumper - Religious person who tries to impose their beliefs on others. Aka not all Christians.

Whore - Would by definition be someone who has sex for money. Is used as an insult for anyone who uses sex to have their way whether it be emotional abuse, better standing career wise, etc etc.

Cracker - Someone doing something in a very stereotypical white way. Usually used for comedic effect. I've never heard anyone take a real insult to "cracker" just laugh at the joke.
Dude... No

Oh ok, so which part of the south do you reside in? This is very informative information.

Yikes.

I really like 212 and Liquorice (mostly because it completely lifts Lone's Pineapple Crush) though.

Despite the Gaf hate, which I can understand, she's very promising artist indeed, 212 and liquorice are just different and irreverant enough to raise curiosity of anyone open minded.

(it's probably the same Gaf who loved David Bowie new song, simply because it does not bother anyone, it's 'nice' :p).

David Bowie's new song was boring as hell, I'm just happy to know that he's coming back to music again though.

And Angel Haze is much better than Azelia imo but there needs to be better female emcees out there because these ones aint too interesting.

Dali

Smh. Omg dude. Just wrong. You're acting as though Chris rock's usage of derogatory terms and racial epithets was the norm before he did his "love black people but hate niggaz" skit. It's not. They''re generally used to show a lack of respect or animosity towards an entire group.

SaintZ

She's doing it again.
So, Azealia continued with her MESS this morning on twitter. Seems you have to update your thread Superman (via ONTD):

igUGdSOCumYuM.png

iwSGZnlLm07IK.png

iefTDU3DlQRXx.png

ibiCJrN7XZGVui.png

iqTI7Nfpbo5pq.png

iufWeRcSVREdl.png

I liked when she goes and has beef with people because it is entertaining but ugggggghhhhh she need to stawhp with this.
MESS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom