• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aziz Ansari’s New Standup Tour Is a Cry Against Extreme Wokeness

Dunki

Honestly I do not know where to put this,. Is it too political? Or should it be in the off topic section? I this is wrong please put it in the right section moderators.

In his latest set, Ansari suggests that collective anger has overcorrected; now, rather than hold power to account, it targets the slightest and least consequential controversies. “Why is everyone weighing in on this shit?” Ansari asked of the Twitter users who flocked to debate whether an American teen-ager’s choice of prom dress constituted so-called cultural appropriation. “Everyone weighs in on everything. They don’t know anything. People don’t wanna just say, ‘I don’t know.’ ” The amused but progressive spirit that once informed Ansari’s commentary on current events seems to have crusted into suspicion about wokeness and its excesses.

At least with the Trump people,” he joked, “I kinda know where they stand.” On the other side, reacting to our current Administration, are zealous and performative leftists who can’t seem to resist competing with one another in what Ansari calls “Progressive Candy Crush.” This punch line landed as a subtle, if unintentional, reference to a small group of Yale undergraduates who had congregated outside the venue earlier that evening, before the first of the night’s two performances, to protest the comedian’s appearance. “Boycott Ansari’s show,” the description of a local Facebook event read.

An early riff in the show centered on a pizza chain that Ansari said had come under fire for arranging pepperoni slices in the shape of a swastika. He described rumors that the image of the toppings had been digitally altered, then admitted that he had made the whole story up. Hearing this, the crowd erupted in laughter at its own gullibility. “You people that are clapping,” Ansari shouted. “You’re the fucking problem.”

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/c...against-extreme-wokeness?mbid=social_facebook

Good for him going for it and he is absolutely right in this regard.

Atrus

Gold Member
He got condemned for escalating sexual advancement by not reading non-verbal and ill-defined cues. Once he realized that she was simply not interested period and not interested for the time being, he stopped, and even called a cab to get her home. He didn't drag her into the house and start tearing off her clothes, this misunderstanding arose after oral sex, something one could say could send a mixed signal of sexual interest.

That was worth protesting? Hopefully, he can now salvage his career.
I'm also glad I'm have no idea what this prom dress issue is about because even listening to his description makes it sound stupid.

I'd still like to hear his side of the story, beyond the BS PR response that we got. He never denied any claim that she made, and if they're true, he really did cross a line in my opinion. That's not to dehumanize him as a person, just criticize the shitty things he did. And if true, he should probably own up to that, and change his behavior.

Luckily for him, a lot of people still believe that same "how is he supposed to read non-verbal signals" line that I believed when I first heard it. Then I actually read the article.

Regardless, I'd still like to hear his new material.

He got condemned for escalating sexual advancement by not reading non-verbal and ill-defined cues. Once he realized that she was simply not interested period and not interested for the time being, he stopped, and even called a cab to get her home. He didn't drag her into the house and start tearing off her clothes, this misunderstanding arose after oral sex, something one could say could send a mixed signal of sexual interest.

I've posted this before, but here it is again:

“After he bent me over is when I stood up and said no, I don’t think I’m ready to do this, I really don’t think I’m going to do this. And he said, ‘How about we just chill, but this time with our clothes on?’”

They got dressed, sat side by side on the couch they’d already “chilled” on, and he turned on an episode of Seinfeld. She’d never seen it before. She said that’s when the reality of what was going on sank in.

While the TV played in the background, he kissed her again, stuck his fingers down her throat again, and moved to undo her pants. She turned away. She remembers “feeling in a different mindset at that point.”

“I remember saying, ‘You guys are all the same, you guys are all the fucking same.’” Ansari asked her what she meant. When she turned to answer, she says he met her with “gross, forceful kisses.”

Tell me again how much you care about and respect women, Aziz. Tell me how important it is to be a feminist, and what a good person you are. Tell me how wrong the people are who don't identify as feminists are.

People who got caught up in the "how is he supposed to read non-verbal cues?" narrative missed the point. I don't blame you, because until I actually read the article myself, I thought the same thing. But there were clear verbal cues. She flat out said no, and he wouldn't leave her the fuck alone. Not even for the length of a 30 minute episode of Seinfeld that she hadn't ever seen!

I have no choice to believe what the woman says, because he never said she was lying or that anything she said was untrue. While there are two sides to every story, his seems solely focused on interpreting the situation differently, which seems absurd when hearing her story. If you haven't yet, you should read the article yourself.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
I've posted this before, but here it is again
Tell me again how much you care about and respect women, Aziz. Tell me how important it is to be a feminist, and what a good person you are. Tell me how wrong the people are who don't identify as feminists are.

People who got caught up in the "how is he supposed to read non-verbal cues?" narrative missed the point. I don't blame you, because until I actually read the article myself, I thought the same thing. But there were clear verbal cues. She flat out said no, and he wouldn't leave her the fuck alone. Not even for the length of a 30 minute episode of Seinfeld that she hadn't ever seen!

I have no choice to believe what the woman says, because he never said she was lying or that anything she said was untrue. While there are two sides to every story, his seems solely focused on interpreting the situation differently, which seems absurd when hearing her story. If you haven't yet, you should read the article yourself.

There exists room for miscommunication in sexual advancement, especially when sexual activity has already taken place. Sex can and does exist by gaming for it and that happens by both sexes. Is that no for a particular activity, no for right now, or no for tonight etc. Real human beings assent or consent to sex, and therein lies room for miscommunication.

If there is a problem, I'd say it certainly lies with those on the anti-Anzari bandwagon. By their standard, I might as well bill myself a sexual assault survivor myself.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

That was worth protesting? Hopefully, he can now salvage his career.
I'm also glad I'm have no idea what this prom dress issue is about because even listening to his description makes it sound stupid.
Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but when a chick goes down on me, I assume they're into me.

Atrus

Gold Member
Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but when a chick goes down on me, I assume they're into me.

Nowadays people want to adopt a concept of affirmative consent; which is to obtain consent for every action taken but there is no outlining what a discrete action consists of. Ultimately, since there is no universal record of proof even in such cases, it boil down to a he said/she said scenario and society must take a position of "believe the victim" even though we don't take this position with much more heinous crimes.

The basic lesson is "Don't be a jerk" but people take this to such extremes that they believe every action is infinitely culpable and that there is no room for significant error.

There exists room for miscommunication in sexual advancement, especially when sexual activity has already taken place. Sex can and does exist by gaming for it and that happens by both sexes. Is that no for a particular activity, no for right now, or no for tonight etc. Real human beings assent or consent to sex, and therein lies room for miscommunication.

If there is a problem, I'd say it certainly lies with those on the anti-Anzari bandwagon. By their standard, I might as well bill myself a sexual assault survivor myself.

Seeing as we're talking about miscommunication, let me clear up a few possible things.

I'm fine with the idea of non-verbal consent, and I also support the belief that no means no. I do agree that there is a problem rushing to judge anyone who has been accused of something, and if he denied her story I simply wouldn't believe either of them. If everything she said is true, I don't feel it fits a legal definition of sexual assault, nor does it fit my personal definition. I wouldn't call him or think of him as a sexual predator or anything of the sort. There is a subjectivity here for everyone, and I'll admit that.

However, he never said "no, that never happened" to any part of her accusation, so that's what I'm left with. This isn't he said / she said. This is she said / he essentially said "I didn't think of it that way," so all I have is her story.

Despite receiving oral sex, he was declined when it came to actual sex. He then agreed they didn't have to take their clothes off, and they could just watch some TV. As they sat there, he soon attempted to remove her clothes again. She then stopped him again, and said "You guys are all the same, you guys are all the fucking same."

If that happened with you on a date, and you were him, what would you do next? Honestly, think about that.

Because "immediately continue to be physical" isn't where I'd be going. I'm not about to dehumanize him as some trash human being because of this, but this is someone who lectured people on national television about the importance of respecting women, and I think he was a complete hypocrite. I also think people are allowed to be critical of his choices here, and he definitely crossed a line for me.

Yes, people can misread a situation when someone says doesn't say "no." Saying "I really don’t think I’m going to do this" and "You guys are all the same, you guys are all the fucking same" isn't an example of such a situation.

Dunki

The thing is that he was not aware of it and when she told him he also apologized for it the other day. And most important she stayed. It should have been a private matter and I think Ashleigh Bandfield says it way better

Last edited:

HarryKS

Guess he finally realized that it's much better to see the hand that throws rocks at you from the front rather than the one who pretends to be your ally and back stabs you.

I really do hope the culture is going start to shift against this bullsht soon and people lighten the fuck up.

People can only take so much, people also get bored and want change, there's no way people are going to want this cultural moment of getting offended over every little thing to last forever, no matter how "woke" they themselves may be everyone's going to eventually get bored of it

It's the silver lining of any toxic cultural element, people always get bored, remember all the terrible reality TV that used to be popular? Remember Jerry Springer? Well, people eventually got bored and moved on.

Nymphae

Banned
Can't stand him or his comedy, the only thing I kind of enjoyedhim in was Parks & Rec, because he was great at playing an asshole you want to punch in the face.

I really do hope the culture is going start to shift against this bullsht soon and people lighten the fuck up.

People can only take so much, people also get bored and want change, there's no way people are going to want this cultural moment of getting offended over every little thing to last forever, no matter how "woke" they themselves may be everyone's going to eventually get bored of it

It's the silver lining of any toxic cultural element, people always get bored, remember all the terrible reality TV that used to be popular? Remember Jerry Springer? Well, people eventually got bored and moved on.
I am sick and tired of politics having to be a part of everything. I cannot read about a movie without some hack journalist complaining about it being full of problematic, offensive gender roles/stereotypes/tropes. I am not white, but I don't go out of my way to look for outrage or complaining that people of my background/ethnicity aren't in every comic/movie/tv show. If they are, great! I hope they aren't a walking cliche of empty slogans and making their entire character be about their background/upbringing or sexual orientation. Insane how the once progressive folk turn against the comedian they admired post-allegations. I doubt Louis C.K. will do that, but all this outrage is tiresome.

Renoir

This is a sensitive subject.
But damn... these instagram sex dolls look good right about now. /s

I just feel that the whole romance, looking into each others eyes, feeling up on each other, grinding on one another, making out, having the girl grab your meat while she tongue your throat THAT was consent.... Man all that is going out the window because you need to pause before everything and ask if its ok.. OR! Asking permission for everything at every step is a new thing to be accustom with. I remember when pulling out a condom was like this long pause. It was definelty awkward.I used to think, I hope she dont feel insulted.. I hope im still getting this wet-wet.. But after a while, you just dont care. If she want to pack up and go because you got a condom out, because you think her pussy is poisoned.. then its really not a loss. All this to say that maybe were in a transition phase and things needs to be laid out with a yes and no for some. As people are sometimes dense and cant catch a clue.
Remember the song blurred lines... There would be no blurred lines if women were raised back then to say what they want, and not to be quiet and look pretty. But that used to be how it was, women even now labeled as hoes for wanting to fuck. So, of course they did not flat out say. YES dik Me down. There were hints to catch. codes to decipher.. and it was so satisfying to get to the X on the map. It was also crushing to get told no you got it wrong, I see you as a brother, that why i get naked around you. You live, you learn. I did. But maybe that's just me..

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is a sensitive subject.
But damn... these instagram sex dolls look good right about now. /s

I just feel that the whole romance, looking into each others eyes, feeling up on each other, grinding on one another, making out, having the girl grab your meat while she tongue your throat THAT was consent.... Man all that is going out the window because you need to pause before everything and ask if its ok.. OR! Asking permission for everything at every step is a new thing to be accustom with. I remember when pulling out a condom was like this long pause. It was definelty awkward.I used to think, I hope she dont feel insulted.. I hope im still getting this wet-wet.. But after a while, you just dont care. If she want to pack up and go because you got a condom out, because you think her pussy is poisoned.. then its really not a loss. All this to say that maybe were in a transition phase and things needs to be laid out with a yes and no for some. As people are sometimes dense and cant catch a clue.
Remember the song blurred lines... There would be no blurred lines if women were raised back then to say what they want, and not to be quiet and look pretty. But that used to be how it was, women even now labeled as hoes for wanting to fuck. So, of course they did not flat out say. YES dik Me down. There were hints to catch. codes to decipher.. and it was so satisfying to get to the X on the map. It was also crushing to get told no you got it wrong, I see you as a brother, that why i get naked around you. You live, you learn. I did. But maybe that's just me..

The journey was the best part of the adventure/destination.

Nowadays I do not know about anyone else, but it is a turn off when certain girls are overbearing and telling you they want the D. The subtleness and buildup was far more exciting than, swipe right; fuck and chuck.

Maybe it comes down to the era you were born in. One where you had to put in work to get rewarded, not participation trophies all around. There is no fun in that.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Ironic considering he is best friends with Kanye.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Now is the time for comedy considering everything going on in the world, ample amount of content

The journey was the best part of the adventure/destination.

Nowadays I do not know about anyone else, but it is a turn off when certain girls are overbearing and telling you they want the D. The subtleness and buildup was far more exciting than, swipe right; fuck and chuck.

Maybe it comes down to the era you were born in. One where you had to put in work to get rewarded, not participation trophies all around. There is no fun in that.

This sounds more bitter than anything else.

People get married later, and hook up more. They also have much lower divorce rates than boomers so *shrug*.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

People get married later, and hook up more. They also have much lower divorce rates than boomers so *shrug*.

Not bitter, lol, just personal preference. I did say maybe, since I tried both, and while I did have fun with those FWBs, it was not as fulfilling personally.

oagboghi2

They have lower divorce rates because by the time they get married, they have already been used and abused. They settle in their first marriage instead of their second and third.

cryptoadam

Banned
He is just doing this because he got busted for his Metoo. He has no problem with wokeness, he was all about the "problem with Apu" even though he is a F'n comedian and should be able to understand comedy.

Just looking to make a buck since his former bread and butter have all probably left him because he couldn't take a hint that a chick wasn't interested in him even though he is a "celebrity".

They have lower divorce rates because by the time they get married, they have already been used and abused. They settle in their first marriage instead of their second and third.

I'm just glad that you're being sarcastic and don't actually view the world this way.

It's good to have more prominent voices addressing this problem but it comes off as largely opportunist since this is clearly the result of his #MeToo scandal. He's made several public statements defending SJW narratives. Downplaying the idea that anyone could have problems with the modern feminist movement. The charitable interpretation is that his experience was a wake up call and genuinely alerted him to the excesses of far leftists. Although the cynic in me makes it hard to believe he wasn't aware of them beforehand.

Still, he's a good voice to have expressing these concerns. It allows people to point to a decidedly non-right wing voice and that can help left leaning people acknowledge these issues without having to break their partisan boundaries. Partisan boundaries that are increasingly fortified these days. So i'd say ultimately this is a good thing.

The one thing nagging at me is that he seems like he's hedging. It's something a lot of left leaning people do when they're critical of the far left and I really hate it. I'll withhold final judgement until I see the set -- but if we're talking about a white girl wearing a Chinese dress -- the criticism shouldn't be "why are people weighing in on this." As in "this is such a small problem and they just let it go." The criticism should be: this isn't a problem at all. Big or small. It's a completely illegitimate concern manufactured by authoritarians to control people through shaming tactics.

Might come across as a nit-pick but I see this kind of hedging often from certain commentators and I think it makes them less effective. It allows people to cling to the notion that "oh the SJWs have a point but they're just taking it too far." No, they don't have a point. No one owns style. Shut that shit up.

Top Bottom