• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver (dir. Edgar Wright) |OT| All You Need Is One Killer Track

Zen Aku

That and the white folks were also terrible people.

I don't think that people are going to react well. to this but...
Baby having the opportunity to go up to her apartment and likely sleep with her but declining rang super hollow and actually hurt the romance. That seemed like a completely bizarre decline and almost came off political.

baby didn't want to sleep with her because he thought he got out of the gang and no longer have to be a getaway driver. Life is going to be normal from then on, but now he's getting dragged back into it. It's a bit difficult to be in the mood when your boss who is this powerful guy just threatened your adopted father and girlfriend.

baby didn't want to sleep with her because he thought he got out of the gang and no longer have to be a getaway driver. Life is going to be normal from then on, but now he's getting dragged back into it. It's a bit difficult to be in the mood when your boss who is this powerful guy just threatened your adopted father and girlfriend.

also the fact that if he had slept with her, he wouldn't be in final girl/scream queen status against Jason "Buddy" Van Horn in the final fight. Think about it.

People saying the romance was flat? Wha? Do you guys really need stuff that on the nose? The romance angle was superbly handled.

Best movie I've seen this year, and in a very long time. Period.

Even though
Kevin Spacey's character makes no sense? He goes from threatening to cripple Baby to literally sacrificing himself for Baby over the course of a couple days just because he sees that Baby has a girlfriend.
The film felt like it rushed through a lot of things it should have taken time with (
his relationship with his foster dad, his time spent not working for Spacey's character
). Also, it struck me as odd that we're shown early on that Baby
has an aversion to violence that presumably stems from watching his mom die, and then kills Bats in a pretty gruesome way just days later.

I enjoyed the film, but there were a lot of huuuuge plot holes and a glaring lack of depth behind every character, Baby included.

Zen Aku

Even though
Kevin Spacey's character makes no sense? He goes from threatening to cripple Baby to literally sacrificing himself for Baby over the course of a couple days just because he sees that Baby has a girlfriend.
The film felt like it rushed through a lot of things it should have taken time with (
his relationship with his foster dad, his time spent not working for Spacey's character
has an aversion to violence that presumably stems from watching his mom die, and then kills Bats in a pretty gruesome way just days later.

I enjoyed the film, but there were a lot of huuuuge plot holes and a glaring lack of depth behind every character, Baby included.

what we saw with Baby spending time with his dad, dancing and making him food was good enough for me. I didn't need a day by day play. From the short time it was shown, you can see that his dad didn't want him being involved but he was powerless to stop Baby. Plus Baby being the provider for the two of them as well helps.

did you not see how far Bats pushed Baby? Even the most non-confrontational person like Baby would be pushed over the edge. Context man.

Theecliff

Banned
Even though

the doc relationship did feel quite sudden to me too, but i probably need to rewatch the film to come to a solid conclusion. i have a feeling that the
nephew scene
probably held more connective tissue than initial impressions let on.

i thought his relationship with the foster dad was pretty good personally, and i'm not sure what could have been added to make it better. what did you think was missing?

and i don't think baby necessarily has an aversion to violence, just that he feels deeply uncomformtable with innocent people getting hurt at the hands of bad people
(like how his mother suffered from domestic abuse). that's why he goes from just looking away from the crews killing innocent people to actively trying to stop them from doing so (knocking the shotgun away, giving the baby back, warning the bank worker, returning the purse) but conversely agrees to take the car with jd in to the pound and watches it get crushed even though he's initially slightly reluctant. it's only when innocent people that he is close to are hurt/threatened that he finally snaps. bats ransacked his apartment and possibly attacked his foster dad as well as threatened violence towards debora. buddy threatened to kill debora and killed doc. so i think it's less that he comes across as a pacifist who is uncomfortable with any sort of violence but more that he has a nagging conscious and doesn't want to see any more innocent people get hurt, and is pushed over the edge by the two people that threaten the people he cares for.

Metal-Geo

Fucking loved the
Hocus Pocus
segment.

Caught a lot more timed visuals and sound effects on the second viewing. Can't wait for this movie to hit Blu-Ray.

Watched it last night in a Dolby Atmos theatre, now that theatre experience was something else. Those reclining puffy seats and dat sound tho. It was like the VIP theatre in my local cineplex in Sweden turned to 11. So i get why tickets were $25 for that theatre its pretty much same for VIP ones there.

Also the movie it was great fun romp, loved the writing.
Who doesnt like hats tho?

lawnchair

Banned
This opinion is almost as bad as saying Batman v Superman is better than Civil War.

Also my group loved it, personally for me. It's this year 'John Wick'. We actually ended up going home and watched John Wick Chapter 2 together.

c'mon, it's a fine opinion. for one thing, pain and gain was actually funny. baby driver was more of an amused chuckle movie.

kmag

I loved the film almost in-spite of the story as strange as it sounds. Strip away the stellar film making and the central conceit and it's a pretty trite and an uneven story at the core of the film. Some of the character development was a bit all over the shop as well.

The other slight criticism I had was that it basically topped itself out on the first two car scenes and the car stuff never really hit those heights again.

How comparable is the style of the trailers and promotional material to the movie itself? Do they give an accurate representation as to what the movie is like or are they quite different? I ask as I really haven't liked the promotional material but I love Wright as a director (but I don't like Scott Pilgrim) and I'm torn over whether to see it as a result, especially when some of the opinions here are divided.

pantsmith

How comparable is the style of the trailers and promotional material to the movie itself? Do they give an accurate representation as to what the movie is like or are they quite different? I ask as I really haven't liked the promotional material but I love Wright as a director (but I don't like Scott Pilgrim) and I'm torn over whether to see it as a result, especially when some of the opinions here are divided.

So I'll say the international trailer is okay, but its really hard to do it justice with a trailer. A lot of what makes the actual movie work is in how deliberately set/paced/choreographed each scene is, and thats hard to convey in a two minute trailer. I was kinda iffy on promotional matetial too, but the movie itself really impressed me.

If you love Wright as a director you will love a lot about this movie. Its probably his best made film.

Also, it struck me as odd that we're shown early on that Baby

That's Baby's entire arc.
At the beginning of the movie, he's outright ignoring the consequences of his complicitness in violent acts. This is what the armored truck robbery was supposed to indicate - he pulls forward just a few feet to avoid having to look at the acts his coworkers are doing, but catches a glimpse of the aftermath anyways. Baby goes from believing in sanitized violence to realizing violence has consequences and those who wish to inflict it upon others must be stopped by violent means if necessary.

He's given a bit of culture shock when he's forced to humanize the lower-class post office worker, and then when he knows that Bats is going to harm her simply for being there (for being poor, essentially) he takes it into his own hands to stop him.

Fletcher

It really felt as if a lot of roles and motives were flip flopped in the end.
It felt like, to me at least, Bats should've been in the Buddy role, Buddy should've been in the Doc role, and as if Baby should've never killed anyone.

Fletcher

At the beginning of the movie, he's outright ignoring the consequences of his complicitness in violent acts. This is what the armored truck robbery was supposed to indicate - he pulls forward just a few feet to avoid having to look at the acts his coworkers are doing, but catches a glimpse of the aftermath anyways. Baby goes from believing in sanitized violence to realizing violence has consequences and those who wish to inflict it upon others must be stopped by violent means if necessary.

He's given a bit of culture shock when he's forced to humanize the lower-class post office worker, and then when he knows that Bats is going to harm her simply for being there (for being poor, essentially) he takes it into his own hands to stop him.

but he didn't learn about consequences, really? I mean to have him only serve five years for what really should've put him away for life and to come out to this picturesque ideal life. That's a strange message to send.

but he didn't learn about consequences, really? I mean to have him only serve five years for what really should've put him away for life and to come out to this picturesque ideal life. That's a strange message to send.

I'm not talking about the long-term consequences of crime, I'm referring to the immediate consequences of violence - in other words, that people die when they are killed. Baby attempting to believe that something like robbing banks can be done non-lethally is an example of this sanitized violence, where nobody really gets hurt and everyone is fine - a fantasy sold by your typical Heat speech, where everyone is refunded of the money they're stolen and nobody is permanently injured. (Heat itself is already a movie about how this ideology is wrong, but that's another discussion.)

The surprise is not that Baby gets violent, it's that he uses this violence to stop the ruling class who would inflict it upon innocent poor people.

Sean C

It really felt as if a lot of roles and motives were flip flopped in the end.
It felt like, to me at least, Bats should've been in the Buddy role, Buddy should've been in the Doc role, and as if Baby should've never killed anyone.
How could Buddy have ever been in Doc's role, when Baby's actions got Darling killed?

Toothless

Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I feel like Wright's just probably a guy with really eclectic taste, not a music snob or anything.

Frankly a good majority of that stuff was pretty obscure to me. But I really liked it quite a bit

Dudes music taste is pretty eclectic but enjoyable

@Toothless

I knew about a third of the soundtrack, which is good enough for me.

The music selection is good, and it's not really a knock against the film. It's just that for me, the most fun the movie gets is
during the "Tequila" gunfight
and I think with even just two more really recognizable songs like that, the film would be more fun, rather than constantly digesting new music with the awesome action.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

The trailer is borderline accurate - it shows too much of the car chases, and almost all of the car chase scenes are in the trailers. There's very few driving surprises left inside the movie, which bummed me out. It also doesn't show how tightly the first third hews to the score.

It's a great, fun film, but I'd have enjoyed it more if I'd read that the third act doesn't quite live up to the first two. Final act is a good act, but it loses energy and focus present in the first two. I'd also have really enjoyed
the 24 hour ATL police chase that was inferred in a line of dialog, but failed to happen.

Arttemis

That and the white folks were also terrible people.

I don't think that people are going to react well. to this but...
Baby having the opportunity to go up to her apartment and likely sleep with her but declining rang super hollow and actually hurt the romance. That seemed like a completely bizarre decline and almost came off political.

What kind of shallow projection is this?

Fletcher

How could Buddy have ever been in Doc's role, when Baby's actions got Darling killed?

Not verbatim, but he understood baby and was in love. His character and his interactions with Baby throughout the film do not match up with what he does at the end.

iddqd

Saw it last night, wife liked it more then me.
I'm not sure why, but while watching I kept thinking "this is nice but somehow is not connecting".

Would have never guessed this is a Edgar Wright movie without knowing.

Also had REAL trouble understanding anything Jamie Foxx was saying.

EDIT
Also think that Jon Bernthal should have had Hamm's role. Hamm is just TOO NICE

Sean C

Not verbatim, but he understood baby and was in love. His character and his interactions with Baby throughout the film do not match up with what he does at the end.
Baby got his lover killed.

I don't think there's anything remotely inconsistent about that. Very few people would "understand" that, and he was established to be highly protective of her.

Lijik

The music selection is good, and it's not really a knock against the film. It's just that for me, the most fun the movie gets is
during the "Tequila" gunfight
and I think with even just two more really recognizable songs like that, the film would be more fun, rather than constantly digesting new music with the awesome action.
I think its more on you and not the movie being niche in its taste if Tequila was the only song you recognized.

jmood88

Baby got his lover killed.

I don't think there's anything remotely inconsistent about that. Very few people would "understand" that, and he was established to be highly protective of her.
Yeah, I have no idea why people think that what he ended up doing was out of character. The Doc thing, on the other hand, made no sense.

orochi91

The music in this film seriously detracted from my overall viewing experience.

As someone who holds no affinity for what sounded like 70s/80s rock (???) music, it made segments of the film unbearable. The first 10-15 minutes of the film were so obnoxious with him spazzing out to random songs and etc. At one point, I was beginning to think he had some sort of autism, but that probably wasn't it.

The characters and plot were great, as was the stunt driving; Bats was a very menacing presence on screen, Jamie Foxx played him perfectly. Doc turning out to be a
genuine friend in the end was a very pleasant surprise.

The ending was upsetting though. It should have ended right where he was
posting Debora's postcards on the mirror, but instead it cuts to him being released a few years later and sharing a big fucking cliché kiss with her
(unless this was some dream sequence, lol). That moment completely undermined the emotional impacts of the preceding
capture/court house/postcard
scenes.

Verdict: 7/10; Edgar Wright should have exercised some restraint.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Huh, this one didn't land for me. Its phenomenally well directed, Edgar Wright showing that his style works incredibly well even outside of comedy, but the core Baby/Debora relationship just didn't do anything for me at all

The Technomancer

I think your reading of the violence arc is supported by the text, but I really think you're stretching to make this about class in any meaningful sense. The only character who seems to be "upper class" is maybe Spacey's character and even then its not super solid for me.

Jocund

Huh, this one didn't land for me. Its phenomenally well directed, Edgar Wright showing that his style works incredibly well even outside of comedy, but the core Baby/Debora relationship just didn't do anything for me at all
Their relationship was pretty much every "one last job" movie in existence, which is somewhat surprising, considering Wright's work in projects like Shaun of the Dead

The music in this film seriously detracted from my overall viewing experience.

As someone who holds no affinity for what sounded like 70s/80s rock (???) music, it made segments of the film unbearable. The first 10-15 minutes of the film were so obnoxious with him spazzing out to random songs and etc. At one point, I was beginning to think he had some sort of autism, but that probably wasn't it.

The characters and plot were great, as was the stunt driving; Bats was a very menacing presence on screen, Jamie Foxx played him perfectly. Doc turning out to be a
genuine friend in the end was a very pleasant surprise.

The ending was upsetting though. It should have ended right where he was
posting Debora's postcards on the mirror, but instead it cuts to him being released a few years later and sharing a big fucking cliché kiss with her
(unless this was some dream sequence, lol). That moment completely undermined the emotional impacts of the preceding
capture/court house/postcard
scenes.

Verdict: 7/10; Edgar Wright should have exercised some restraint.

Pretty sure that was a dream sequence as neither of them had aged at least 5 years for his first parole and it echoed his previous ones. Either way that was where he was heading in the future even if it was one, so it is more up to you if that bothers you.

I really enjoyed the music, and without that enjoyment I can see the movie being a little off. But really that is the crux of most musicals. If you don't like the beat, then you are not going to enjoy the synchronicity between the action and the songs.

I found Lily James super attractive in this movie. Makes me jealous of Matt Smith.

Fury451

Banned
Saw it last night, wife liked it more then me.
I'm not sure why, but while watching I kept thinking "this is nice but somehow is not connecting".

Would have never guessed this is a Edgar Wright movie without knowing.

This is pretty much exactly how I felt about it. Didn't really come together for me, and you definitely have some of his trademarks but didn't really seem to come alive in the same ways that his movies usually do. For me at least.

What kind of shallow projection is this?

It's not shallow at all.
It seems odd in a R rated movie with a love story at its core and where people get their heads shot off with shotguns, impaled, or run over but the two romantic leads are not allowed to be sexual. It comes off as simply being scared to do the scene and I'm curious why this is. Besides the slasher movie meta there isn't a good reason to keep that relationship oddly innocent.

It's not shallow at all.
It seems odd in a R rated movie with a love story at its core and where people get their heads shot off with shotguns, impaled, or run over but the two romantic leads are not allowed to be sexual. It comes off as simply being scared to do the scene and I'm curious why this is. Besides the slasher movie meta there isn't a good reason to keep that relationship oddly innocent.

This is a weird way of thinking about it. There's more to romance than just sex, and this movie's relationship comes from shared interests, not desire.

Jocund

It's not shallow at all.
Not every R-rated crime flick has to have porking just because there's a love story in the mix. The scene played fine -- Baby not wanting to sleep with a woman he likes (and recently met) isn't strange, and syncs with his character. Baby certainly didn't seem like the type to ditch courtship to get straight to the fucking.

Baby, despite his getaway shenanigans, was definitely "innocent". His and Debora's relationship was played with a kind of, I don't know, 50s bubble-gummy kind of twee-ness that was pretty endearing.

No but it does make it all the weirder then of how quickly they escalate to
seemingly being in love and running away forever.
Like, I get that that's sort of tropey and other movies do it too, but man it felt artificial here

I feel you on that, for sure. The romance was easily my least favorite part of the movie but I appreciate some bits of it. Artificial is totally the word for it, though.

The Technomancer

Not every R-rated crime flick has to have porking just because there's a love story in the mix. The scene played fine -- Baby not wanting to sleep with a woman he likes (and recently met) isn't strange, and syncs with his character. Baby certainly didn't seem like the type to ditch courtship to get straight to the fucking.

No but it does make it all the weirder then of how quickly they escalate to
seemingly being in love and running away forever.
Like, I get that that's sort of tropey and other movies do it too, but man it felt artificial here

Fury451

Banned
It's not shallow at all.

I'm pretty sure you entirely misread their relationship. Admittedly, I don't think it was particularly strong part of the movie either.

Also R doesn't mean boning.

Hot Fuzz was a romance at its heart and nobody had sex.

Top Bottom