• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver (dir. Edgar Wright) |OT| All You Need Is One Killer Track

LionPride

Banned
I saw the movie tonight and I was disappointed unfortunately. Mostly by the tone of the movie... That was like Twilight with gangsters. I saw the french dubbed version and that didn't help at all. Oh my... That was super bad. I guess I expected too much... :-/
Nigga what

KDC720

Saw it last night and enjoyed it quite a lot. Don't think it tops Hot Fuzz or Scott Pilgrim for me, but its the most fun I've had in a movie theatre since Civil War.

Was tepid on the dude who played Baby intially but as soon as he starts jamming out in his car during the opening scene I was on board. The action, music, and editing were all great, and the performances were stellar across the board. Jamie Foxx in particular was kind of terrifying at times.

Holiday

Banned
I enjoyed it. The music was great, especially tied into the editing, and Jon Hamm playing a psycho was terrific. It was a little darker/more violent than I would have liked, but it was definitely a blast.

Realeza

Banned
I thought it was freaking good, but how on Earth did Debora not go to jail/prison for being an accesory? Even if baby said he coerced her to do it (escape), the testimony after that negates that.

Sir Doom

Did I just watch a musical action.

Great movie kept me entertained throughout. You think your typical bad guy is going to be that role but then it didn't. Excluding Jaimie

The ending kind of stretches but still good end.

valkyre

Without spoiling it for me, please explain why this movie is so unique?

I just went out of the Planet of the Apes and they showed the trailer for this movie and it looked completely trash to me, some Fast n Furious completely ridiculous and science fiction car stunts and one liners. I also felt like I watched the entire movie from watching that trailer. It really felt like a movie geared towards juveniles.

Then my company proceeded to inform me that this movie is greatly received and reviewed which had me wondering.

Obviously I am missing something, and if someone without spoiling it could fill me in I would appreciate it.

Mr. Sam

I just went out of the Planet of the Apes and they showed the trailer for this movie and it looked completely trash to me, some Fast n Furious completely ridiculous and science fiction car stunts and one liners. I also felt like I watched the entire movie from watching that trailer. It really felt like a movie geared towards juveniles.

I mean, in the latest Fast and Furious the crew race a nuclear submarine; the most ludicrous stunt (and they are stunts - not CG spectacles) in Baby Driver is probably the one in which Baby dodges between dumpsters in an alley. I'm not sure what part of the film is science fiction unless you're from the nineteenth century and haven't seen a car or a gun before. If you've ever seen Bullitt or The French Connection, or even Drive, it's much more comparable to that sort of crime film.

valkyre

I mean, in the latest Fast and Furious the crew race a nuclear submarine; the most ludicrous stunt (and they are stunts - not CG spectacles) in Baby Driver is probably the one in which Baby dodges between dumpsters in an alley. I'm not sure what part of the film is science fiction unless you're from the nineteenth century and haven't seen a car or a gun before. If you've ever seen Bullitt or The French Connection, or even Drive, it's much more comparable to that sort of crime film.

Maybe the trailer is not representative but when I saw him use his car to throw the nail spike thing and place it perfectly under the police cars, I saw some science fiction there. I can tolerate 1-2 such instances but that felt really Fast n Furious material to me at that moment.

Mr. Sam

I can see you saying it's unrealistic but precision drivers are a very real thing that exist. If that level of heightened reality irks you, maybe this isn't the movie for you.

valkyre

I can see you saying it's unrealistic but precision drivers are a very real thing that exist. If that level of heightened reality irks you, maybe this isn't the movie for you.

You are trying to tell me that precision drivers exist that are able to spin their car and at the same time calculate the force that they have to hit an object with their spinning tyre, in order to perfectly remove an object from on place and move it in another spot, all this in split seconds?

I am finding it hard to believe. But I would happily eat crow if you can point to some footage. This doesnt feel like heightened reality to me.

By the way the important thing out of my post was that I can deal with some limited Fast n Furious type of action material, as long as it is the exception and not the rule. If this scene is not representative of the overall action in the film I am ok.

Last good film I watched featuring cars was Rush.

LosDaddie

Banned
Finally got to watch this movie on Saturday.

Very fun. Killer soundtrack. I'm glad I got to see this movie in the theater.

Baby Driver is not a movie that I'll buy, but I'll definitely watch it a couple more times once it hit Netflix bluray.

SomTervo

You are trying to tell me that precision drivers exist that are able to spin their car and at the same time calculate the force that they have to hit an object with their spinning tyre, in order to perfectly remove an object from on place and move it in another spot, all this in split seconds?

I am finding it hard to believe. But I would happily eat crow if you can point to some footage. This doesnt feel like heightened reality to me.

By the way the important thing out of my post was that I can deal with some limited Fast n Furious type of action material, as long as it is the exception and not the rule. If this scene is not representative of the overall action in the film I am ok.

There are only 4-5 action scenes in the movie.

It's pulpy, including a slight measure of cartooniness. But most of the film has its head screwed on fairly tight. There's some fantastic plotting - lots of consequences, dramatic turns, character twists and development, etc.

The majority of the film is a solid crime comedy/drama.

That said, it plays its style VERY heavy handedly. The editing and cinematography is very intense. The way music meshes with the action in a tight, intense way.

The film has great reviews.

Personally, about 8/10 people i know like it, 1/10 thought it was ok, and 1/10 didn't like it but didn't think it was "bad".

Why don't you just go see it?

Not that the film is really that over the top, but I'm not sure why you hold action movies to such an intense regard. Most of the fun of Jackie Chan films, for example, is seeing what we thought was impossible made possible. That's kind of what's happening here.

Also, I'm just curious, but it seems you like Metal Gear games which are infamously over the top . . . what's different about those games?

Saw the movie just minutes ago and was greatly entertained. Also didn't think to ever hear Hocus Pocus by Focus in a movie. Awesome, totally underappreciated song. Elevated the movie to another level.

Maybe I was too hyped for this but I felt kinda let down. 6/10 for me. Plus EW doesn't seem to be able to write women characters well in his movies.

valkyre

There are only 4-5 action scenes in the movie.

It's pulpy, including a slight measure of cartooniness. But most of the film has its head screwed on fairly tight. There's some fantastic plotting - lots of consequences, dramatic turns, character twists and development, etc.

The majority of the film is a solid crime comedy/drama.

That said, it plays its style VERY heavy handedly. The editing and cinematography is very intense. The way music meshes with the action in a tight, intense way.

The film has great reviews.

Personally, about 8/10 people i know like it, 1/10 thought it was ok, and 1/10 didn't like it but didn't think it was "bad".

Why don't you just go see it?

Very helpful post thank you a lot, I will give it a try. It seems the trailer is not selling this film well to me. It has happened before with films I ended up loving while I hated their trailers.

Not that the film is really that over the top, but I'm not sure why you hold action movies to such an intense regard. Most of the fun of Jackie Chan films, for example, is seeing what we thought was impossible made possible. That's kind of what's happening here.

Also, I'm just curious, but it seems you like Metal Gear games which are infamously over the top . . . what's different about those games?

I dont think comparing interactive media with a movie is a proper comparison. Metal Gear has gameplay, which plays a tremendous amount in terms of my enjoyment of the product.

Having said that I dont take Metal Gear Solid seriously and even more so, its not that I am some kind of person that detests over the top narrative. The Jackie Chan films is a great example that you provided, and certainly I have watched many other crazy films that I enjoyed immensely.

When it comes to cars though I might be biased, because i hate the whole "Fast n Furious culture" that exists out there. 9 out of 10 car movies give me the impression that they focus on that particular culture and it just turns me off.

Seems though that this film has much more to give, which is why I will go ahead and see it for myself (i was gonna see it anyway eventually, but I asked here in order to go see it in a theater)

Your posts have helped, much appreciated.

Has Metal Gear avi

Complains about over the top

��
Really? We are back in the days where you could just about know everything from a person's avatar?

�� indeed...

GhaleonEB

I ended up seeing it twice, and the second viewing was kind of odd. On the one hand, I had a deeper appreciation of the editing and direction. I like how the ending action scene had many re-contextualized parallels to the opening. The beats of the film hit harder.

On the other, I disliked the story and the characters more. Wright's desire to subvert expectations as the film progresses results in some characters behaving strangely, and I don't like the direction the story goes, at all.
From the moment Baby's car gets stopped when he's trying to leave and pick up his girl onward, the story goes downhill big time.

So on a technical level I appreciated it more, but liked the film overall less.

eerik9000

I really hope this movie hits 100 mil domestically. That'd be so awesome

I do hope it crosses the symbolic 100 million line, but I expect it to be a little short of that. It's a huge success nonetheless, weren't the forecasts around only 50 million?

Saw it last night.. it was so good. On the same level as Mad Max and John Wick for sure (IMO). I'm so happy these amazing action movies are coming out.

The runaway scene after
Bats dies
is so well done, I need to watch that again but I can't find it on yt.

RBH

Just saw it tonight and loved it.

In addition, it was fun to point out the different areas around Atlanta in the movie.

zeitgeist

Oh man, that sucks because I think that Debora was literally the only song they actually mentioned in the dialogue. I hope it works out.

I saw the film yesterday and it was pretty great but nothing too new aside from the style.

For Fargo fans, it feels like the writers saw this film before it was released and tried to make one of the goons more like Baby with the dancing and earbuds. Either way, they managed to make that idea cool in this film for sure.

Davide

Just saw it, the theater was still packed. Fantastic movie. Never seen a movie by Edgar Wright before either. I was smiling for the majority of the first half, unfortunately the second isn't quite as enjoyable like people have said and I see what people mean about the writing for Deborah's character.

It was also cool because I have tinnitus and listen to music to drown out a hum in my ears.

One of the best action movies I've seen in years and I think very rewatchable.

Great flick. Lots of fun and knows just what it was and wanted to be be. Spacey, Fox and Hamm were all great. And of course the soundtrack and the way the music and sound were woven in with the action was stellar. Really awesome summer movie.

Obviously I am missing something

You definitely are. A whole movie, in fact.

Xun

I finally got a chance to see this.

Incredibly enjoyable, although I feel the ending fell a bit flat to be honest.

I'll have to watch it again...

Top Bottom