• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver (dir. Edgar Wright) |OT| All You Need Is One Killer Track

Just got back from seeing it. I loved it. Probably beats out The World's End as my favorite Edgar Wright movie simply because I identify with Baby slightly more than Gary. I always have headphones, always listening to something. Always.

Need to see this again, like now.

Just got back from seeing it. I loved it. Probably beats out The World's End as my favorite Edgar Wright movie simply because I identify with Baby slightly more than Gary. I always have headphones, always listening to something. Always.

Need to see this again, like now.

Yeah it's one of the reasons I love it so much.

jmood88

Question about the character's names:

Were any names revealed, other than Baby, Darling and Bats's?

Baby was Miles, Darling - Monique, I think, and Bats was Luis.

Any other that I've missed?
Darling was (I don't know why we're using spoilers when the names have no bearing on the story but I'll do it anyway)
Monica
, Bats was
Leon
, and Buddy was
Jason

Didn't like the movie. Cool scenes at times but overall was disappointed even though I came in not expecting much. Characters were all really bad except Jamie foxx

TheRed

Really enjoyed this movie. It was a ton of fun. Though a lot of it didn't make sense at times, especially the ending to me. It was just too enjoyable of a ride for me to not get hung up on the ending.

Though like someone else said in here, thinking back on it I don't really know why Jamie Fox's character was part of the crew. A couple other minor complaints I could come up with but overall I still think it was great stuff.

Kacar

Was really good, the last act kinda struggled a little bit to me with the plot and the story.

Also,
Nothing shown/said about doc in the movie would suggest he would sacrifice himself/protect baby at that moment, especially after he ruined the heist. He just sees the girl and says "well I was in love once" and that's that.

Skeeter49

Was really good, the last act kinda struggled a little bit to me with the plot and the story.

Also,
Nothing shown/said about doc in the movie would suggest he would sacrifice himself/protect baby at that moment, especially after he ruined the heist. He just sees the girl and says "well I was in love once" and that's that.

I guess he figured the place was discovered, and he was most likely fucked, so might as well help. Maybe he got a call from Buddy threatening him.

Also,

For me, it was clear Doc
had a special place in his heart for the kid. He likely saw him as a budding project of his. He also knew he took advantage of Baby, making him run a /ton/ of driving missions to payback for one misstep. Maybe he figured he could do one small thing to pay him back.

TheRed

Also,

Yeah I wasn't a fan of how quick that turn happened either.
I could buy that he saw Baby kinda as a son or something. But they never showed him express any extra care towards him outside of his solid benefit to the business and he even ropes him back into the game when Baby finally had a chance to go live a normal life. If he cared for him enough to die for him he wouldn't have done that. Also Baby and Deborah didn't even talk or anything in front of him to at least plead their case of how for real in love they were. She just walks out and clings to him a bit. I feel like Doc's character would've seen that as foolish puppy love/infatuation and that he didn't have time to waste dealing with such foolish people especially one that just brought all of his plans crashing down.
I agree it seemed slightly out of character but still not a huge deal to me.

kaskade

Really enjoyed it. It was such an adrenaline ride that I feel like I gotta digest it and really think about it. Definitely seems like a movie that warrants multiple viewings.

Random thoughts:

So was the ending Baby getting out after 5 years? I figured it was just his fantasy until the color showed up.

I wonder if Buddy was basically who Baby would've become if he stayed in that life. Obviously baby ended up being capable of violence in regards to Bats. If Buddy's origin was true then he wasn't much of a bad guy either. He also had Monica who stayed with him and he would do anything for with Deb would've done if Baby didn't stop her.

pantsmith

Also,

I just saw it again tonight, and had some time to mull it over.

Dude is actually responsible for dragging Baby into it, and you have to parse through the fact that:
1. He's totally fucked now after Bats mucked up the gun deal (the survivors ambush him during the finale) and the post office robbery went South.
2. Baby is a surrogate son - yes one he abusively uses and mistreats - but one he respects a great deal and bears some measure of responsibility for (note the number of times he steps in to defend Baby from shit talk).
3. Baby shows up in his hour of need, and while Doc tries to be a jerk, he sees this kid who he has been exploiting for however many robberies just trying to get his tape back and escape with his girlfriend. He's an honest kid, unlike all of the criminals (with neck tattoos, lol) he has worked with, and I saw Doc's moment of weakness as somewhat of a surrogate parent and less a criminal mastermind.

It's not that Doc was in love once, its that Baby is young and naive and Doc is caving to his "baby face," so to speak. Plus would a truly bad guy watch Monsters Inc with Sam that many times?

Doc
had a kid, clearly he had someone he loved in his life at one point.

Also y'all acting like Edgar Wright doesn't take massive liberties with suspension of disbelief lol.

TheRed

I just saw it again tonight, and had some time to mull it over.

Dude is actually responsible for dragging Baby into it, and you have to parse through the fact that:
1. He's totally fucked now after Bats mucked up the gun deal (the survivors ambush him during the finale) and the post office robbery went South.
2. Baby is a surrogate son - yes one he abusively uses and mistreats - but one he respects a great deal and bears some measure of responsibility for (note the number of times he steps in to defend Baby from shit talk).
3. Baby shows up in his hour of need, and while Doc tries to be a jerk, he sees this kid who he has been exploiting for however many robberies just trying to get his tape back and escape with his girlfriend. He's an honest kid, unlike all of the criminals (with neck tattoos, lol) he has worked with, and I saw Doc's moment of weakness as somewhat of a surrogate parent and less a criminal mastermind.

It's not that Doc was in love once, its that Baby is young and naive and Doc is caving to his "baby face," so to speak. Plus would a truly bad guy watch Monsters Inc with Sam that many times?
This how I ended up rationalizing it but still my initial reaction was what I posted above. It didn't seem right to me after how we had seen him act through the whole movie. Idk possibly the hints towards that in his character were a little too subtle at least for my liking.

Well, you should. Scott Pilgrim is not a good movie. Scott Pilgrim is an okay movie.

It would have worked a lot better as a tv show.

Hot Fuzz is a perfect movie.

Hmm. Seeing people put World's End above Baby Driver is making me nervous. Still going to see it but tempering my expectations now.

I put Scott up there because I find it incredibly rewatchable. I don't know if I could say it's actually a better movie. But that's kind of beside the point in a mostly arbitrary list.

Also, I find World's End to be one of Wright's best made movies even if I don't enjoy it as much as I feel like I should. Which is why the middle three movies are kind of all over the place. But Hot Fuzz has always been my least favorite, even though it has grown on me a lot.

Edgar Wright low isn't terrible.

This is quite true.

border

Yeah I don't understand why
Doc went from being so angry and petty that he wouldn't even let Baby retrieve a casette tape to being willing to risk/sacrifice himself for Baby.

Doc went from being so angry and petty that he wouldn't even let Baby retrieve a casette tape to being willing to risk/sacrifice himself for Baby.
Disappointed father figure deciding to not let his anger influence his judgement and the respect he has for his ward

border

Also,
why does everyone cover for Bats after the shootout at the gun deal? I suppose it could be argued that Buddy/Jason needed the money, but he seems to be making a ton of cash anyway and there's no shortage of jobs to go around. It still doesn't make a lot of sense for Baby not to rat him out. Why does the Post Office heist to go forward at that point? Even if Doc assumes that Bats' story is true and it was some kind of undercover sting that they shot their way out of, there would have been video/audio surveillance that compromised the entire team.

Also,
why does everyone cover for Bats after the shootout at the gun deal? I suppose it could be argued that Buddy/Jason needed the money, but he seems to be making a ton of cash anyway and there's no shortage of jobs to go around. It still doesn't make a lot of sense for Baby not to rat him out. Why does the Post Office heist to go forward at that point? Even if Doc assumes that Bats' story is true and it was some kind of undercover sting that they shot their way out of, there would have been video/audio surveillance that compromised the entire team.
It wasn't an undercover sting; those were dirty cops on Doc's payroll.

Also, "honor" among thieves

God the soundtrack is so good. Already downloaded and have been listening to it since I got home. And it's not the usual type of music I listen to either. Great stuff.

Also,

I got the impression Baby was afraid that if he disagreed Bats would snap and just kill all of them as it'd been proven he didn't give a shit about other people's lives.

Enjoyed the heck of the movie, but something bothered me about it.

If Baby was re-recording all of this evidence why didn't they just use that to get him out of jail? I thought it was going to be used as a way for him to get out if he ever got too deep and they just threw it away.

Loved the long single shots in this movie. It's by far one of Edgar's best thought out scenes. I'm surprised he was able to make this movie on the lean budget he got. And with most scenes being all practically shot it was very impressive.

I don't know if it was true but did all the major talent come on board just so they could be killed off?

OG Loc

Fantastic movie. I thoroughly enjoyed
how everything fell apart with the post office heist. And correct me of i'm wrong but was Baby's awful driving inthe Blue Toyota in the parking lot because he was without his music?

border

It wasn't an undercover sting; those were dirty cops on Doc's payroll.

Also, "honor" among thieves

It's clear that the gun deal wasn't a sting. But for some unknown reason Doc just chooses to believe Bats' story that "They shot first". Buddy/Jason backs up this false account of the events even though he's already vowed to kill Bats.

Chairhome

Doc
had a kid, clearly he had someone he loved in his life at one point.
Sam was his nephew, not his son

Also,
They cover for him cause he's crazy and they don't want to die. Same reason Baby also agreed. Doc wasn't holding a gun to him, so they didn't want to risk it

Enjoyed the heck of the movie, but something bothered me about it.

If Baby was re-recording all of this evidence why didn't they just use that to get him out of jail? I thought it was going to be used as a way for him to get out if he ever got too deep and they just threw it away.

the recordings would only help incriminate Doc and the crew, which was pointless cause they were already dead.
He would also just be affirming that he wasn't doing it against his will. There's nothing on the tapes that would get him out of jail

I can't fucking believe after poring over the soundtrack, READY, they fucking sneak "Run The Jewels", "Holy Calamity" and a fucking SLIVER-ASS BOARDS OF CANADA TRACK.

FUCK IS MY SOUNDTRACK VOLUME 2

Skeeter49

Does
Doc buy Bats story that they shot first? I took it as Doc not wanting to push Bats too far, and it being too close to the heist for more drama to start, even though it started anyway.

Cuburt

It was a lame, nonsensical character/plot point in a film with way too many sloppy moments like that, but this was definitely one of the biggest offenders for me if for no other reason than
that they gave no real foreshadowing of a turn as if to make it more of a surprise. Didn't feel earned or natural at all. Doc's only loyalty for Baby was as a good luck charm/driver who made him money. What made it worse is that it seems like the film no longer had an antagonist at that point and didn't know how to resolve it so they made Jason unkillable so there would be a big action finale.

Good God that was a cool fucking movie. Some people begrudging the third act but i thought that was so strong. The cast of criminal was flames, Jon Hamm and Jamie Foxx in particular are just monster presences in here. The music was...whew. the jokes all landed nicely. Loved how some of the characters subverted expectations near the end and just how R-rated this movie surprisingly ended up.

If this isn't at least nominated for best editing then the next Oscars are a fraud

The two big shootout scenes timed to the music...wow. And the on foot chase scene was really exciting too. Man really knows his action filmmaking.

GhaleonEB

My take on the events, regarding Doc at the end:

He's only giving Baby and his girl a way out, to go live a normal life together. Then the doors open and he's ambushed. He got shot straight in the back by a shotgun, and I think in the front by a pistol, though I'm less sure about the latter.

I figured he was dying at that point and decided to say fuck it, might as well help them as I go. He didn't decide to sacrifice himself until he was already almost gone.

At any rate, fun movie. Third act went off the rails a little too much, but I enjoyed how unpredictable it was. I did not like
how Baby's tapes came into play, that whole plot development was kind of pointless,
but the rest worked for me.

Cuburt

I think I realized what is one of the biggest things that bothers me about this film: I must not like Edgar Wright's writing. This is one of the only films of his I've seen that he wrote by himself; the Cornetto trilogy was written with Simon Pegg, The Adventures of Tin Tin and Ant-Man was with Joe Cornish, and Scott Pilgrim was with Michael Bacall.

This could have used another set of eyes.

HotHamBoy

My friend sent me these texts a few hours ago (no spoilers):

You'd be proud. I just saw a movie. At the theater. "Baby Driver"

(I didn't like it)

Nothing added up. Not stylish enough (glossy, but not stylish), gimmicky, no characters worth caring about, paint by numbers yet still full of nonsensica
(1/2)

l--or at least inconsistent or oddly motivated--decision-making by characters. Really just a fast cars and guns movie
(2/2)

I was really disappointed because the ads were enticing! It looked different. But K Space is pure K Space, the main guy is boring, Jamie Foxx is Generic
(1/2)

Tough Guy, Hamm is Hamm, etc
(2/2)

Can't believe Baby Driver is at like 98% on RT. I have to say, Siskel and Ebert would not be having this shit.

I mean. I will never think about this movie again

Ending is stupid too

Also if that's how all action movies are edited these days. Holy shit. I never believed anything I was seeing, the cuts were so hyperactive

Yeah but no shot lasted longer than like 1.2 seconds

So now I am concerned.

Just watched it. Loved it.

Did anyone notice
the colors red/blue/gold? Objects were usually red when they were bad, blue when it was signaling running away, or Debra and gold when it was his mom.
I guess it's kind obvious?

GhaleonEB

I agree with those texts about the editing. I really noticed it on the opening chase. There were a couple of cool shots, but a lot of the action was both shot badly and cut way too fast. Stylistically I got what Wright was going for, but I don't think he got there. But the film compensated in some other ways, enough that it wasn't a fatal flaw (and it could have been, given how much action there was).

I liked the main character, his girl, adoptive father, and Spacey's character. I felt invested in the story.

undrtakr900

the recordings would only help incriminate Doc and the crew, which was pointless cause they were already dead.
He would also just be affirming that he wasn't doing it against his will. There's nothing on the tapes that would get him out of jail
Baby was absolutely forced to work, remember at the restaurant after Doc paid the bill for Baby & Deborah, Doc explicitly said something like "I could break your legs & kill everyone love".

Tookay

Starts off with great promise then runs out of gas by the end.

Technically, it's very impressive from a direction/editing/acting standpoint. But the narrative is a mess; Wright has all these great plot threads set up and it's like... that's where you decided to go with them?

I'm fine with filmmakers subverting your expectations, but it just got progressively less interesting and nonsensical in the third act, especially with
Doc sacrificing himself for Baby and Buddy going full Jason.

The more I think about it, the less I like it, which is probably a first for an Edgar Wright movie.

Top Bottom