• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BABYMETAL J-pop and Metal infused to form insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbon

dahell2.png

I can appreciate some shit that's out there, but this is just unlistenable.

wildfire

Banned
Just like every other type of metal I came across, fantastic music.... putrid vocals.

The vocals are actually very good for this genre. Which makes this all the more out of place. Regardless this band doesn't measure up to Nightwish.

AAK

I stand by my statement. I only listen to instrumentals. My playlist is full of bands like Rammstein, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Cradle of Filth, Arch Enemy, Dream Theater, etc., but I make sure the vocals are out. The singing almost always makes the song worse for me. The only exception I can think of is early Korn, but even then it was a few exceptions, majority of the songs still sucked and their music wasn't all that good.

Ahasverus

I stand by my statement. I only listen to instrumentals. My playlist is full of bands like Rammstein, Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc., but I make sure the vocals are out. The singing almost always makes the song worse for me. The only exception I can think of is early Korn, but even then it was a few exceptions.

It's not our fault you listen to terrible bands.
bar iron maiden.
. And If you tell us with a straight face Floor Jansen is bad better leave this world now!
jk of course

This is so weird.. and terrible. It's pretty interesting to see how those j-pop bands are making shitload of money in their markets while they would get laughed out of the stores in Europe and the Americas. It's like the asian market (i know this is a rather wide range..) is living in their own plane of reality that is strangely 10-15 years behind current musical thread.

but eh, it's making them tons of money! more power to them

I don't remember seeing anything like BABYMETAL in the UK 10-15 years ago...

As someone who listens to a veritable cornucopia of metal and hardcore and most combinations thereof, who scours record shops to find local bands and see local shows, who visits foreign language metal websites to see if there is a band in countries not normally known for their metal that I have never heard of and tries to be like musical coral...

...I fucking love Babymetal. Come up on random between Insomnium and Anaal Nathrakh and I rock out just as hard.

Shit's just really fun. And it's all a marketing idol ploy and whatnot, but the lead girl Yui and one of the side girls actually are tiny little metal listeners. Kinda funny to hear them name drop bands they listen to in interviews.

Famassu

This is so weird.. and terrible.
Not any more terrible than Miley Cyrus, Nickelback, Avril Lavigne, Rihanna and other western crap (I'd even say much less so, at least the heavier part of the songs)

It's pretty interesting to see how those j-pop bands are making shitload of money in their markets while they would get laughed out of the stores in Europe and the Americas.
Uhh... you do know that a lot of these weirder Japanese artist do have their semi-sizable followings worldwide? Niche music of any kind gets eye-rolls from people who don't like/understand the music. Unless it's mainstream, most people will just scoff at your taste in music if it's even a little bit out of the inoffensive mainstream music.

Jarate

Banned
Also, I hate most Japanese metal because the language is too nice sounding for it. Just like i don't really like Italian Metal. Language is 2 pretty

Shit's just really fun. And it's all a marketing idol ploy and whatnot, but the lead girl Yui and one of the side girls actually are tiny little metal listeners. Kinda funny to hear them name drop bands they listen to in interviews.

Yup. Just because they are being marketed a certain way/have a look that people make automatic judgments means nothing. It's SUPER common that idols don't like their "own" genre of music haha.

But yeah, music is supposed to be fun. But like everything else, movies, games, ect. Its gotta be hipster personal to some people and everything else is garbage.

THERE IS NO FUN IN ENTERTAINMENT, GAWD!

Either way, this thread turned into every other music thread on the internet in nominal time as usual.

Jarate

Banned
Yup. Just because they are being marketed a certain way/have a look that people make automatic judgments means nothing. It's SUPER common that idols don't like their "own" genre of music haha.

But yeah, music is supposed to be fun. But like everything else, movies, games, ect. Its gotta be hipster personal to some people and everything else is garbage.

THERE IS NO FUN IN ENTERTAINMENT, GAWD!

People can generally separate "fun" and "artistic' though

If this were to play at a random get together with my friends, I may have a good time dancing/listening to it with them, but does that mean the music is artistic at all.

Is this a "fun" song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngLxOB-ZNuw , no but it's a much more rewarding and exceptional song then Baby Metal

Some people may really like baby Metal, and while that experience of fun, and simple metal music might be rewarding to the listener, you have to realize that a lot of people, especially enthusiasts need something more then just fun.

Yeah. I'd never call BM or any other idol group my muse for life and go to listening for artistic inspiration haha, it just annoys me that some people cannot see there can be a difference. :)

Sourcerer

Now, how does someone living the US legally get their album, or better still, a DVD?

Well you can get all their music on iTunes as with most Japanese/Korean music, or go to an import site like YesAsia or CDJapan. Japanese CDs/DVDs tend to be really highly priced though so iTunes prices are usually much lower.

I like physical CDs but it's about 50/50 digital because of the price.

Edit: Also, Babymetal are awesome!

Posting Norwegian Shining does little to dissuade my point. Though I am super excited that I'll be seeing them on this tour since I missed their first American tour by one goddam day. ARGH so pissed. Jorgen even responded to my tweet whining about it with "That sucks!" and that they'll be back around. Sooner than I thought.

If this were to play at a random get together with my friends, I may have a good time dancing/listening to it with them, but does that mean the music is artistic at all.

Is this a "fun" song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngLxOB-ZNuw , no but it's a much more rewarding and exceptional song then Baby Metal

Some people may really like baby Metal, and while that experience of fun, and simple metal music might be rewarding to the listener, you have to realize that a lot of people, especially enthusiasts need something more then just fun.

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaareful. You're getting into some muddy water here. Putting aside subjectivity of the subject (...ew) for the moment, let's not start equating certain iron hard terms with what determines something that is "rewarding" or "exceptional" or that either of those terms apply an intrinsic value to certain types of music. The only value in music is if you enjoy listening to it, whatever the reason for doing so is.

The existence of Babymetal as a band and someone's enjoyment of it does not erase the bands that you feel are more "worthwhile" or your enjoyment of them. I actually take some offense to the fact that you imply an enthusiast wouldn't enjoy or have use for this type of metal when I don't think there's another word to describe what I am.

lmpaler

Just like every other type of metal I came across, fantastic music.... putrid vocals.

Power Metal refutes this statement

On topic. This band his been blowing up the metal feeds for months. I have shown a few friends of mine. It isn't my cup of tea, but seeing this live shows and how crazy into it Japanese people are there is something else man. I almost envy that scene because the US scene is very hit or miss.

So I thought I heard "chocoratu" in the chorus and, sure enough, the song is about chocolate.

The lyrics translated into English are pretty hilarious: http://babymetal.net/babymetal-translation/babymetal-give-chocolate-english-translation/

Check-it-out chocolate. Can I have a bit of chocolate?
But my weight worries me a bit these days.
However, chocolate. Can I have a bit of chocolate?
But wait a while! Wait a while! Wait! Wait! Wait!

I did it so hard. I did my best.
So, a bit (heart). I ask you just a little bit.
Quickly chocolate. Please give me chocolate quickly!
Pass me chocolate! Chocolate please!

I don't even know what to think of this.
I'll be back in a bit.
Metal singing about chocolate. Yup.

EDIT: Hrm, it seems that they are taking more from the side of Jpop I don't like, but... well the end result is certainly better than that, so I'll see if it grows on me.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This doesn't sound very new or unique. Reminds me of a lot of past game and anime themes. I like it though.

Ahasverus

Floor is good, but Nightwish just isn't the same without Tarja IMO.

Yeah that's true, not that they're any bad though, the "magic" might be gone (Some would argue it was since 2003 or so) but they're at their peak of songwriting and instrumentation. And Floor is a powerhouse, who knows what the next album will sound like.

what's wrong with Blackjazz?

2deep 4 u?

Hmm..

That is actually pretty damn good.

<3. Thanks for this.

That shit is pretty bad ass.

&#1071;AW;102509543 said:
You crazy Norwegians :D
Edit. They have some good stuff on youtube. At least going by quick listen. I need to go deeper.

Glad you liked it. Saw Shining live a few years back. Heads were blown. The Blackjazz album is pretty bad ass, but try to see them live if you possibly can. Awsome skill.

Third and last edit: This is probably my favourite song from the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom