• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BABYMETAL J-pop and Metal infused to form insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't sound very new or unique. Reminds me of a lot of past game and anime themes. I like it though.

I'm asking you legitimately, and not taking the piss or being an ass about it, to link me to some of these similar past game and anime themes. Because if there's more stuff like this, that I do believe is pretty new and unique, then I'd certainly like to hear it.

I don't recall watching any anime in the past 10 years that had a metal breakdown with a 15 year old girl singing over it in it's OP.

Edit: Er, let me temper that a bit considering the Watamote OP did have something similar. Less dancy though, more just normal metal.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I watch them live 6 months ago in Anime Festifal Asia.
It's enjoyable, and one of their producer is one of my favorite composer (Yuyoyuppe), so yeah, i kinda like them

Japan, by their own self admission, is prone to imitation.

This is basically the Perfume model. Take 3 mediocre aspiring pop idols, inject them into a challenging musical genre about which they know nothing, and slum it out for a few years until they blow up and fill arenas.

I heard about this a while back and I had no idea it would stick around. That's why whoever came up with this idea, which seems like the worst idea on the planet, is rich and I'm not.

Why has this gone viral all of a sudden? They've been around for a while.

There are probably researchers attempting to study things like that, actually. I'm sure we'll see some papers published on viral dissemination of crap on the internet in a few years.

I hope it's titleD exactly like that, too:

PRESTIGIOUS COMPUTER SCIENCE JOURNAL ISSUExivxivxivx

PAGE 1: Serious Business

Page 5: Screw the NSA.

Page 9: "Viral Dissemination of Crap on the Internet."

Sinistral

Don't care much for the the lyrical content (not that I understand Japanese), I don't listen to lyrics anyway but, the instrumentals(especially) and vocals(aside from the two side singers) are pretty enjoyable.

So I thought I heard "chocoratu" in the chorus and, sure enough, the song is about chocolate.

The lyrics translated into English are pretty hilarious: http://babymetal.net/babymetal-translation/babymetal-give-chocolate-english-translation/

Check-it-out chocolate. Can I have a bit of chocolate?
But my weight worries me a bit these days.
However, chocolate. Can I have a bit of chocolate?
But wait a while! Wait a while! Wait! Wait! Wait!

I did it so hard. I did my best.
So, a bit (heart). I ask you just a little bit.
Quickly chocolate. Please give me chocolate quickly!
Pass me chocolate! Chocolate please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jbEflL9uJU

English Translation:

Yeah! I want to eat a Hamburger!
I want to eat a Hamburger!
I want to eat Junk Food!!!

Yeah! I want to eat Cup Ramen!
I want to eat Cup Ramen!
I want to eat Cup Ramen!
I want to eat Junk Food!

It's just Junk Food
but I need Junk Food
You are al dente, al dente
al dente, al dente

Yeah! I want to eat Sausage
I want to eat Sausage
I want to eat Sausage
I want to eat Junk Food

Yeah! I want to eat Corned Beef 
I want to eat Corned Beef
I want to eat Corned Beef
I want to eat Junk Food

It's just Junk Food
but I need Junk Food
You are al dente, al dente
al dente, al dente

No More body fat
Oh No I got enough of that
No More gourmet shops
Oh No al dente Yeah! NO!

Yeah! I want to eat a Hamburger!
I want to eat a cheeseburger!
I want to eat Junk Food!!!

Yeah! I want to eat Cup Ramen!
I want to eat Cup Ramen!
I want to eat Cup Ramen!
I want to eat Junk Food!

It's just Junk Food
but I need Junk Food
You are al dente, al dente!
al dente! al dente! Yeah!

Zaptruder

Banned
I like the bit at the end of the OP's gimme choco vid.

Reminds me of a katamari damacy music, mixed with hardcore metal.

Also, this band makes me realize that metal with decent vocalization is pretty catchy. Not a fan of screamer metal where the lyrics are essentially inaudible.

Branson

As a metal fan, Baby Metal is super fun to listen to. Ive been bored with Metal lately and this is just different enough that I dig it a lot.

I followed Babymetal on and off since they debuted but never really thought of them as much more than a cute gimmick. Which it is! BUT! This thread convinced me to buy their new CD so... I guess I'm on board too. Choo choo!

Dimefan3

This is awesome!! The 'I only listen to metalz' metalheads will obviously hate it to bits, but if you're into a lot of genres like me, it's certainly grows on you. Leave it to Japan to try something completely left field.

They've got a bit of support from some folk in the metal community too...

BiEeQ3bIYAAs5AF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom