• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BABYMETAL J-pop and Metal infused to form insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seems like cheap pop slapped on top of cheap metal.
I disagree, it has some interesting instrumentation. The guy behind it, if what I read is true, us from a damn good shoegaze band. Coaltars of the Deepers.

Just bought the album. They blow me away, honestly. It's weird.

Same here, it's so stupid if you look at it from a highbrow but it's catchy. Honestly it is no worse than Lacuna Coil or something super cheesy like that. It's fun and oddly compelling. I'm not saying it's the best and the Savior of metal. Also, some songs are worse than others.

My favorite is Megitsune.

Guiberu

Had a work colleague introduce me to Babymetal a couple of weeks back.

They're ridiculous. But awesome.

Peru

They're breaking thru big time, performing at the main stage for Sonisphere UK

2666563952.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
I've gotten completely addicted to Babymetal to the point where I haven't listened to anything else for like a week or so. They really need more songs heh.

Honestly I don't know what it is about this band. The combination of Idol + Metal is completely hypnotizing.

Carcetti

I'm a lapsed metal fan. New bands don't really interest me. But I want to buy this album. Catch Me If You Can live version on youtube is godly. Is that on the cd?

The band playing is decent, the vocalist is also decent and the dancers seem to enjoy what they are doing and fit in with the jpop crowd. sounds like anime music which people also seem to like on this board.

Will be big.

Maybe people just don't like their beloved "genre" being bastardised. It's like a religion to some fools.

if it wasn't for mixing of genre's we would not get artists like nujabes come out once in a lifetime.

When I go to Tokyo in August I'll be going to the first day of the Summer Sonic festival. I will probably try to catch their set out of curiosity even though my enjoyment of metal basically starts and stops with Iron Maiden and my enjoyment of J-Pop is nonexistent.

Anyone seen Death Rabbits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4OqXdkHWhk

3 teenier girls with a male vocalists. Quite interesting and catchy.

I'm not sure how they would be live, at least in BABY METAL the main girl vocalist is pretty grand and carries the other two.
I might be able to get behind this trend.
When I go to Tokyo in August I'll be going to the first day of the Summer Sonic festival. I will probably try to catch their set out of curiosity even though my enjoyment of metal basically starts and stops with Iron Maiden and my enjoyment of J-Pop is nonexistent.
You will start that way and then something will happen. You'll see, and you'll be back!

clem84

Gold Member
I'm tempted to go see them for Heavy-montreal but this is kind of a festival thing. 1 ticket is for the entire day and I don't feel like paying 100$ just to see 1 show. Metallica is on at the end of the day though so... maybe I should go.

wondermega

They are playing in my hood in like a month or so. God damn it but I suspect it might be some kind of an insane show. Am I a bad person if I go to see this

I'm tempted to go see them for Heavy-montreal but this is kind of a festival thing. 1 ticket is for the entire day and I don't feel like paying 100$ just to see 1 show. Metallica is on at the end of the day though so... maybe I should go.
Have you seen Metallica live before? If the answer is no, you MUST go.
They are playing in my hood in like a month or so. God damn it but I suspect it might be some kind of an insane show. Am I a bad person if I go to see this
No, you are an amazing person. Babymetal is LOVE.

I think I'm going to this. I kinda wanna catch Babymetal when I'm there.

Qvoth

so i've finally listened to a few of these, jesus christ this is AWESOME
especially megitsune, THAT'S MY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

very heavy asian flavor, which reminds me of chthonic which i also like
any other suggestions for these kinds of music?

I saw them a bunch of times but the last time was 15 years ago I think. But I hear they're just as good as they were, live.
They most certainly are, and the rest of that Heavy Montreal lineup looks pretty fantastic. I'd definitely go if I were local, very jealous of anyone attending!

That one, Megitsune, Ijime, Dame, Zettai, Head Bangya!! and Babymetal Death are pretty much the best of the album imo.

And yes, I realize I just listed off half of the album.

Am I really the only one who's favourite song is uki uki midnight?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Bf_fRNq9g
I like them all in their own ways though my favorite is probably Onedari Daisakusen. Everything about that song is amazing.

clem84

Gold Member
10488121_702570936456842_198853935580074655_n.jpg

"Thank you for amazing fans in Paris!!
We were impressed very much!!
Happy 15th birthday YUIMETAL!!"

pablito

i've heard this band described and knew i would hate it. listened to it and...i hated it. curiosity satisfied i guess.

Qvoth

asked already but was ignored, any other music that's similar to chthonic and babymetal's megitsune? metal but very distinct asian vibe?

nicolajNN

Rosur

very heavy asian flavor, which reminds me of chthonic which i also like
any other suggestions for these kinds of music?

Maybe Crossfaith? Check out the Songs Eclipse or Outbreak (I'm kinda addicted to Outbreak atm). There a Japanese metal band, though they might be too electronicy/ Synthy if your into Chthonic but then I like both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom