• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BABYMETAL J-pop and Metal infused to form insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, i went to the NYC show last night. It was the fucking best, they demanded a wall of death during the encore, and they got it. Show was awesome, the Kame (backing) band got a few jam interludes where they got to really show off

They played the entire album,everything sounded great, even if i would have liked a little more live singing (i'd say 70-30 live to pre-recorded. Moslty backing tracks and some other random sections). Good amount of pyro which i dug too.

Really diverse crowd too, people from all
walks of life and music scenes. It was a pretty fucking great concert overall.
I was there too! It was definitely fun though that was more of a curb of death, hah. Kids today have no idea how to mosh; some jackass was doing roundhouse kicks and cartwheels which was thankfully dealt with relatively quickly.

BABYMETAL keeps turning metalheads, voted Best Metal Album of the Year

What’s cute, frilly and metal all over? BABYMETAL of course! From relative obscurity only two years ago, to doing various concerts around the world in 2014, the presence of BABYMETAL has been sudden, if not shocking. It’s hard to believe that the combination of idol music and hardcore metal has created something that many people are getting fired up over. In fact, BABYMETAL has such a fan base now that their self-titled first album was voted as the Number 1 Metal Album of 2014. Say what?!?

The online metal magazine MetalSucks asked in a poll to rate the best metal album of 2014. It was a close vote, with Ne Obliviscaris’ Citadel reeling in 539 votes and Behemoth’s The Satanist getting a solid 388 votes. Nothing though could stop BABYMETAL’s rise to the top.

So how did the readers of MetalSucks feel about the cute but metal-y girls taking the top spot?

“BABYMETAL is amazing!”
“It’s natural they got 1st!”
“The album is really great and the song ‘Akatsuki’ is especially great.”
“This is the future of metal.”
Right alongside negative comments like:

“BABYMETAL is NOT metal”
“This has to be a joke.”

It’s not just the readers of MetalSucks that are getting all uppity about BABYMETAL. We are sure One Direction fans were surprised when they discovered what Harry Styles meant when he tweeted

▼Also JC Chasez from *NSYNC seems to have taken a liking to them.

Being as this poll was conducted on “The Internet”, it’s hard to say whether or not this is a joke. One thing is adamantly clear though, BABYMETAL is the most divisive metal band of 2014. While purists might complain about any number of aspects about the band (idols, manufactured music, pop metal, etc.) BABYMETAL has proven that they have a large rabid fan base as they played to sold out concerts in three continents this year.

Whether you are a fan or not, if you want to be in “the know” in the music scene, get familiar with the name BABYMETAL. Their massive number of fans will ensure that this band will continue to play their particular brand of metal for a while to come.
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/12/...etalheads-voted-best-metal-album-of-the-year/

Babymetal is cute, but I wish they weren't doing beauty and the beast vocals.

It seems like a... gender role. Like, men are supposed to be more aggressive. I don't like music promoting gender roles. I would like to hear more harsh vocals and instrumentals from women in bands.

Like in Blood Stain Child, I really like the new vocalist. I wish Babymetal would do something like this.

Aklamarth

endresults said:
LikeABoss-41-nope_zps53d95445.gif

Basically this.

I dig the Dragonforce collab, so much so that this thread being bumped made me buy all their blu-rays and the new concert CD that comes with said song!

Anyone going to Wembley?

Just got my Ticket!

I was quite impressed to see (couldn't go unforunately) that they drew a pretty impressive crowd for the opening act on Saturday at Reading, and a good one for Leeds on Sunday.

I'm travelling to Japan in a few weeks, really hoping to be able to get tickets to see them at one of their Nagoya shows while I'm there ^_^

Can't listen right now, how does it compare to Road of Resistance?

Super excited for new album. Wish they were playing somewhere close on the US tour. Seriously contemplating traveling somewhere to see a show.

Love the intro to Karate, I should be used to hearing how heavy babymetal is - especially live, but even the studio version of Karate sounds savage - that intro riff! I can't imagine how awesome it will be to hear it live!

I remember first hearing Catch me if you Can on the album, and being indifferent, then hearing it live with the extended intro and it was like a different song.

Can't wait for the Wembley show!

VEVO blocks me from hearing that, so for others, here is the BBC Radio online link to Karate when it premiered. UK only I think;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b070wfhr#auto?t=01h01m20s

I'm actually seriously looking at going to the Maryland show. I'm not a fan but I've been listening to their stuff and I think it would be fun.

Hexa

Karate is really good. My second favorite by them after Megitsune.
Really not feeling the video at all though. Probably my least favorite by them. And yes I've seen line.

LowParry

This has got to be the most catchy type of music. Yet I have such mixed feelings. So much confusion yet....it's such a lovely sound. Ugh!

Dingens

wow... pleasantly surprised by this thread! I expected tons of paedophilia related crap comments, seeing how gaf usually reacts to girls performing.

edit:
well... gotta grab a few tickets I guess

edit2:
just checked... they are playing on the "rock in vienna" festival on june 3rd in between Rammstein, Slayer and Apocalyptica. I don't know why, but for some reason that amuses me to no end

RedFox85

I don't even like metal that much and this is kind of okay. Gimme Chocolate is hilariously catchy, I kinda dig it. This reminds me of like the super high energy pop songs you would hear in an anime intro. I don't know if it's something I would listen to all the time but in the right situation yeah sure.

MutFox

Banned
According to the tickets I just bought,
seems I'm going on a little road trip to Seattle...
To watch a BABYMETAL concert. :|

I was soo gutted I couldn't get Tickets to see them when I was over in Japan :( Hopefully they come to Australia one day.

Also trying really hard to not buy the Babymetal Funko Pops >.<

My friend paid $200 to see them in Tokyo.
They then hung out afterwards in a bar with some like minded fans whose age ranged from 8 to 80.

I think Karate is a good album song.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
edit2:
just checked... they are playing on the "rock in vienna" festival on june 3rd in between Rammstein, Slayer and Apocalyptica. I don't know why, but for some reason that amuses me to no end

I think they already played on "Rock in Vienna" last year. At least they were on schedule.
Too bad that they are not playing on 5th june, before Iron Maiden (Kreator and Nightwish also on that day), because that will be the only day that I will attend Rock in Vienna (been thinking about gettin there on Friday/Sunday, but hotel prices in Vienna are insane)

Kuroyume

Banned
Pretty nice song. Like the english at the beginning. Concert looks like a spectacle. Looks like they know how to put on a show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom