• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad gaming habits you have that you'd like to improve on

Using walkthroughs so quickly and so often.

I have the opposite problem: never using a guide or walkthrough if I can help it, and only use one in a narrow situation only if it's been hours of me trying to figure it out myself.

That, and my habit of trying to 100% every game I touch, means I don't experience as many games as I could. And as a grown man with adult responsibilities, lots of hobbies, and a busy life, I don't have time for this approach to gaming anymore, so I have to get out of that habit.

I used to have a bad habit of buying games I would barely play or not play at all, only to sell them later. Thankfully i got around to not doing that anymore, and I got lucky because in that process I didn't lose very much money at all doing that.

Daria

Buying a lot of games because of the cheap price but then never playing them.

I also always flip flop between games too fast, even after a couple hours of playing.

Zareka

Yup, buying games and then not playing them. I recently bought Ocarina 3D and Kid Icarus: Uprising, and I have a giant stack of games from the past couple christmases and birthdays that I've yet to play for more than half an hour (*cough* Tales of Xillia). I also have a PS4 sitting under my TV.

I've been playing The Sims 2 for almost a week straight.

RiggyRob

Using walkthroughs so quickly and so often.

It's not particularly a bad habit of mine, but I told myself that I wouldn't use any walkthroughs while playing Virtue's Last Reward and the feeling of finally solving a puzzle on your own is fantastic.

Sigma even says 'Oh yeah! I solved the shit out of that puzzle!

Kart94

Banned
I i find myself tending to buy older gamers from PSN like the PSN Classics because they seem like safer bets. not sure if it is a bad habit or not...but i really need to give the newer games a chance.

Guilty of buying too many games that I'll never play. I have stopped buying those PWYW bundles and the various other cheap bundles so I've started correcting that recently. I have 400 games on Steam and I'll probably only ever play maybe 100 of them. I still can't control myself when it comes to the actual Steam sales but hey...baby steps.

Zareka

It's not particularly a bad habit of mine, but I told myself that I wouldn't use any walkthroughs while playing Virtue's Last Reward and the feeling of finally solving a puzzle on your own is fantastic.

Sigma even says 'Oh yeah! I solved the shit out of that puzzle!

It's for that reason I stay away from guides for puzzle games unless I get stuck for an entire day or something. I love it when the devs/writers predict how you're gonna feel afterwards and that example with
Sigma
is great. He said exactly what I felt when I finally solved that one.
00:19 AM: Should I go to bed, or play a quick game first...?

04:06 AM: ...shit.
Hahaha, me 100%.

Sometimes it takes me quite a long time to figure out what I want to play. With a 200 game steam library, 20 some games in origin, and another 30 not on either platform (like blizzard games), I am sometimes overwhelmed by the amount of choices I have.

The bad habit is how indecisive I am about it. Sometimes I am just browsing forums for 30 minutes to an hour before I even start gaming because I can't make up my mind. Right now, not a huge problem... thanks divinity original sin.

But most of the time I am thinking about hearthstone, firefall, titanfall, a single player fps, or another one of my steam games. Another thing that factors in is whether I can play it in windowed mode so I can watch netflix at the same time... xcom, civ5, dead island epidemic, hearthstone, and several others work really great for this.

Anteater

I like to criticize the shit out of my friend's favorite game(s)

Edit: actually in general I'd just like to stop looking only in the negative side for some games, because sometimes it feels like I might miss the forest for the trees when I'm too busy hating on one or two bad designs, when there are many things I can appreciate.

Jinko

Quitting JRPGs when I'm about 95% way to the end. Sometimes I go back and finish them but most of the time I don't.

I kind of have a bad habit of....uh. How do I explain it?

When im playing a game and see my friends playing through the same game and beating it.
I lose motivation to continue my own playthrough.....I guess I really dont spoilers? trying to improve on it though.

Especially with handhelds: if a game doesn't blow my mind in the first 2 hours but can still great, I'm always just like "cool. i'll play this later." and never do.

Top Bottom