• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Balatro is the best deck builder since Slay The Spire.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Awesome. I’ll probably grab it on Switch.

tommycronin

Banned
CT7PlVo.jpg

bender

What time is it?
Pretty neat but I something caused my drawn cards to be face down for a series which frustrated me and I turned it off. Don't really love the music either.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Honestly, if you like these kinds of games, it's absolutely brilliant.

The demo is available on Steam right now during Next Fest, and the game is out on the 20th. I will definitely be buying it. Sunk a good 10 hours into it just on the demo!

I love Slay...so I'll give this a whirl.

amigastar

Looks interesting, i really appreciate deck builder games
Question: whats the goal in this game, do i play against other players or what?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Looks interesting, i really appreciate deck builder games
Question: whats the goal in this game, do i play against other players or what?

Each round gives you a point total you must exceed and you get five (I think) hands to reach that point total with varying conditions. Each round increases the point total that must be achieved.

Neon Xenon

Balatro was easily one of my top favorite demos from Steam Next Fest. Simple to get into, very easy to get hooked. Buying it as soon as it releases on Steam, which should be under an hour from now.

bender

What time is it?
Played some more last night and it has it's hooks in me so I'll be there day one. These types of games usually aren't my cup of tea.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm loving this so much. Starting to play around with the tarot cards to rig the deck towards certain suits, and want to try out thinning the deck to get rid of low value cards.

Managed to win with the green deck but didn't last much longer in Endless.

Billbofet

Bought this after seeing the overwhelmingly positive feedback here, and if it's even 40% as good as Slay the Spire, it will be my game of the year.
Haven't even watched a video or know anything about it, but thanks all for the recommendation!!!

Hmmm, I love Slay the Spire and still do the daily runs, but my knowledge of poker is surface level at best.

As is mine, that's really all you need. As long as you know what the basic scoring hands are (and there's an easy menu to get reminders of anyways) you're good to go -- if you draw the right cards you can even build a strategy around playing just single high cards. It's a really fascinating game.

Billbofet

Dumb question: What is the ante?
My poker knowledge is low.

For example, I have played a few rounds and the current ante is 3/8
What does that mean? Also, what is a blind?

bender

What time is it?
Deep poker knowledge really isn't needed as the scoring system inverts and reverts itself as you level up planet cards, build your jokers and use your tarot cards. All you really need to know is what makes a valid poker hand (high card, pair, two pair, three of kind, etc.). For example, in the run I posted above. Playing a pair far outclassed any other hands in poker based on my upgrades that run.

Dumb question: What is the ante?
My poker knowledge is low.

For example, I have played a few rounds and the current ante is 3/8
What does that mean? Also, what is a blind?

Think of Ante as floors in the dungeon. Ante 1 is the first floor. Ante 8 is the last floor. Each floor has three blinds. Subsequent Antes have stiffer point total requirements. Small blind is the lowest point total needed. Big blind is the middle point total needed. The final blind is the boss of the floor and comes with the highest point total needed and also has a condition (-1 Hand Size, Hall Face Cards are dealt face down, Each Card Play Subtracts $1, etc.).

Last edited:

Billbofet

Deep poker knowledge really isn't needed as the scoring system inverts and reverts itself as you level up planet cards, build your jokers and use your tarot cards. All you really need to know is what makes a valid poker hand (high card, pair, two pair, three of kind, etc.). For example, in the run I posted above. Playing a pair far outclassed any other hands in poker based on my upgrades that run.

Think of Ante as floors in the dungeon. Ante 1 is the first floor. Ante 8 is the last floor. Each floor has three blinds. Subsequent Antes have stiffer point total requirements. Small blind is the lowest point total needed. Big blind is the middle point total needed. The final blind is the boss of the floor and comes with the highest point total needed and also has a condition (-1 Hand Size, Hall Face Cards are dealt face down, Each Card Play Subtracts $1, etc.).
Excellent explanation. Thanks! Putting it in those terms helps a lot.

This gives me one more question on the planet cards: Are they passive and permanent upgrades/conditions or relevant to the next round of play? I bought a planet card and it dissolved, and I really had no idea what I had done.

This truly does have the magic that Slay the Spire has for me!!

bender

What time is it?
Excellent explanation. Thanks! Putting it in those terms helps a lot.

This gives me one more question on the planet cards: Are they passive and permanent upgrades/conditions or relevant to the next round of play? I bought a planet card and it dissolved, and I really had no idea what I had done.

This truly does have the magic that Slay the Spire has for me!!

The planet upgrades are there for the run and what they do specifically is upgrade one (well, there is a rare card that will upgrade all) type of hand (high card, pairs, two pairs, etc.). Each type of hand has a level that governs their base point value and multiplier (the harder the hand type, the higher hose values are by default) which doesn't appear to have a cap. So you want to upgrade thee hand that you will be playing most which is entirely dependent on what jokers you are getting. In the run I screenshotted earlier, my pair level was around level 31.

Last edited:

Bridges

Got this on a whim last night and melted hours away. Holy shit is it addicting.

Still haven't completed a run yet but got up to the Blind Boss for Ante 7 so I've been close. Really unique take on the genre.
Wtf does the blank voucher do?
Wondering the same thing

POKEYCLYDE

I've beat it with 2 decks. I'm enjoying it, but it can also be very frustrating. Some boss battles are just insta-lose if they happen early.

If you don't get some good Jokers early run, you'll lose by the 2 or 3rd ante.

As you unlock more and more jokers, the odds of getting a good synergistic deck get lower and lower.

I think they need to make the game a tad easier early game.

begotten

Think I need to get good and start watching people because I'm 20+ hours in and have only beaten the default difficulty with like 5 or 6 decks so far - and it's usually just been bruteforcing the same strategy despite the more unique deck perks later.

It's a fun game and I'm loving it but can't help but think STS has more flexibility and adaptability to how you play outside of early game.

Feels like if I get lucky with the tags + first voucher I snowball (I always play for a suit / flush), otherwise you get destroyed by boss modifiers. I've tried doing low played hand builds too but they never work out.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I've been completely ignoring the tags - mostly seem to offer a free pack or some free money, and less than you can usually make from winning a round.

bender

What time is it?
You had the ripped Joker? I got to the 7mil ante by playing pair. Pair was like level 15 by the time I got up there.
GG9k73XW8AAADG8

I screwed up my point potential early on as it is important to focus on one hand type to better build multi-plies. I still think Ante 11 would have stomped me as my best hand, even if it wasn't optimal, was just shy of 300K. I do think it is important to experiment as I was getting frustrated by not getting the cards I wanted and my most successful deck only had one card () that I absolutely love. That deck added a stone card every round, gave bonuses for deck size, playing the same hand in a round, repeated playing of the same hand throughout the run, and playing hands that consisted of four cards. By playing high card, you could assure that you were playing the same hand each time.

Last edited:

donkey_oaty

I've been completely ignoring the tags - mostly seem to offer a free pack or some free money, and less than you can usually make from winning a round.
I ignored tags until I got a joker that gives a double tag. Doubled my money twice and I was set for the rest of the run.

Billbofet

What do the chips on the cards do or when you can select a glass card or multi-colored card?

I am starting to focus on the planet cards to level up basic hands, but there are a few things I know I'm missing out on exploiting.

So fun!

Top Bottom