• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Balatro is the best deck builder since Slay The Spire.

Finally beat the black deck yesterday.

Man has anyone ever gotten the Wheel of Fortune card to trigger? Always a Nope for me.

Almost never, my last run made me think of this. I must've attempted it 6 times and not a single one. Yet in the same run I had lucky cards trigger their 1 in 20 chance of giving $20 twice in a row. Just seems like the odds of that happening while also missing out on a 1 in 4 chance six times in a row must be enormous.

ReyBrujo

I managed to slay the spire for the first time a couple of days ago and been reading about Balatro for a while already. I will give it a chance, thanks for the catchy thread title.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never played Slay the Spire, but watching vids have an idea what happens. Not sure what the craze about it is. It looks like a modern day tidied up version of Maganic Wars from 20 years ago.

Beat a couple more decks.

I wish I knew what the blank voucher did sooner, I passed on it so many times.

Spoiler

Apparently after you buy it ten times, it unlocks an extra joker slot?

I had a pretty great run this morning with like nine jokers.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Cant believe how good this is, never played a deck builder before, any others that play similar to this?
Get Slay the Spire. It’s a completely different style of game, but it’s the granddaddy of roguelite deckbuilders. There’s a reason why people clock thousands of hours in that game.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Had a great run last night with hands hitting 100+ million. I still haven’t crossed the billion threshold, but I’m also still pretty bad at the game.

I kind of wonder what the endgame of this will be like. Since the game is primarily a score attack, and at some point it becomes difficult if not impossible to calculate the score of any given hand with all of the crazy modifiers and extreme numbers, I wonder if my interest will start to wane. But as of now, it’s an endless dopamine machine.

Beat a couple more decks.

I wish I knew what the blank voucher did sooner, I passed on it so many times.

Spoiler

Apparently after you buy it ten times, it unlocks an extra joker slot?

I had a pretty great run this morning with like nine jokers.
Yea, only downside is to play that new voucher, you still need to buy the blank voucher in that same run.

T-0800

Get Slay the Spire. It’s a completely different style of game, but it’s the granddaddy of roguelite deckbuilders. There’s a reason why people clock thousands of hours in that game.
Don't listen to this person unless you want to lose hundred of hours to it. I'm mean it is fantastic but I regularly delete it just to stop myself from playing it. It might not click right away (didn't for me) but when it does.....

So I finally made it to the last boss and I need 300000 to beat it. How? I just managed to score 100000.

Last edited:
Balatro has sucked me in good. You can keep your AAA 'blockbusters' when I can lose many many hours to a game like this.

Anyone got any tips for beating the bosses that cut your bonuses though? The Flint is bad enough, but The Arm is even worse, hampering your run into the future as well as there and then.

Obviously with Bones or Luchador it's not a problem and if I can reroll then I do so, but as for tactics if those don't apply then I struggle to see the light.

bender

What time is it?
Balatro has sucked me in good. You can keep your AAA 'blockbusters' when I can lose many many hours to a game like this.

Anyone got any tips for beating the bosses that cut your bonuses though? The Flint is bad enough, but The Arm is even worse, hampering your run into the future as well as there and then.

Obviously with Bones or Luchador it's not a problem and if I can reroll then I do so, but as for tactics if those don't apply then I struggle to see the light.

Hope you get them very early in a run or late enough into a run that your deck/jokers/hand upgrades can overcome them. Sometimes RNG just destroys you. There is a challenge called Jokerless that I'm banging my head against and one of the final bosses is the one that prevents you from scoring until you sell one Joker (which you obviously don't have). If you aren't lucky enough to buy the VHS Tape or have a skip blind with reroll boss, you are just boned.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I still haven't made managed to beat blue stake with any deck, but I did finally crack 100m!

UwTB71l.jpg

Man I don’t how people get such high scores and then I see videos of people just getting incredible joker synergy that I never experience. I should see how many jokers I have unlocked, it can’t be that random.

Bridges

A lot of it is down to luck, but there are directions you can steer in early on to get the upper hand:

If possible get the Luchador Joker. If you sell it, it disables the boss blind ability. There is a legendary joker that does this as well but the odds of you getting it are slim.

The VHS Tape voucher let's you reroll the boss blind, so if you get that and keep $10 in reserve that's another way.

Diversify your hand upgrades. Odds are you won't get the planets you want out of every pack anyway, but if you focus into multiple you can potentially brute force your way through. Like if you're running a flush deck but have been leveling up two pairs on the side, it might be easier to get your points for the two pairs and let's that reduce, and then for the last one or two hands of the round use your flush and just eat the -1 level and get as many points as you can from it. Still sucks but it's better to barely feel out the win that way than to move onto the next Ante with a lvl 0 Flush when all your synergy is based around Flushes.

The Arm was intimidating at first but I usually manage to clear it now keeping in mind the above. Every once in awhile the RNG fucks me by giving it at the worst time but it's for sure a filter that can be overcome. I used to bitch about the facedown cards Boss Blinds (even posted here about it I think) and now I don't think twice about it.

Gold stake is kicking my ass. I got up to it in a couple decks but can't beat them. Anyone find what was the easiest deck and/or build for them? To get up to gold, the easiest for me was checkered deck but I feel that's one of the toughest for me in gold. Playing the game more, flush (which I would think is the most common strategy to beat that deck) really doesn't seem to scale well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bought this today and really got into it. I’ve never been a poker player. I’m still learning the game, but it’s been a lot of fun.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Patch has hit the PS version. Black stake has swapped with blue and The Arm can no longer zero your played hand.

Black is way easier to clear than blue!

Last edited:

Fbh

Got this a couple of days ago and I'm really enjoying it.
That addictive "one more run" feeling is definitely there, I stayed up longer than I should have yesterday but at least managed to beat the most basic challenge for the first time with a build all about using only pairs.

Man I don’t how people get such high scores and then I see videos of people just getting incredible joker synergy that I never experience. I should see how many jokers I have unlocked, it can’t be that random.

I was feeling good about getting almost 200.000 yesterday...then I came into this thread lol

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So I never got into slay the spire, but a game like inscryption is awesome. I love MTG too, and hearthstone to an extent.

This game the major selling point so far is I like the soundtrack.

I to this day do not know how to play poker. Will I be totally lost to try this?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
So I never got into slay the spire, but a game like inscryption is awesome. I love MTG too, and hearthstone to an extent.

I to this day do not know how to play poker. Will I be totally lost to try this?

Not really. Poker hands are very simple to put together. One pair. Two pair. 3 + 2 is a full house. So on and so forth. A whole lot easier to wrap your head around than MTG.

You play MTgA btw? I feel like the only person on earth who plays it still.

Arsic

Not really. Poker hands are very simple to put together. One pair. Two pair. 3 + 2 is a full house. So on and so forth. A whole lot easier to wrap your head around than MTG.

You play MTgA btw? I feel like the only person on earth who plays it still.
I come back from time to time to MTGA when the mood arises.

I think their inability to add commander is a large part of its downfall. I get it from a technical reason but it’s the most popular way to play by far and large in the IRL format.

If it had it I would be there always.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I come back from time to time to MTGA when the mood arises.

I think their inability to add commander is a large part of its downfall. I get it from a technical reason but it’s the most popular way to play by far and large in the IRL format.

If it had it I would be there always.

Historic is still fun but yea idk why they never added commander

ReyBrujo

I never played Slay the Spire, but watching vids have an idea what happens. Not sure what the craze about it is. It looks like a modern day tidied up version of Maganic Wars from 20 years ago.

And GTA6 will be just a modern day tidied version of Vice City. It's not so much about the gameplay but the balance and staggering number of combinations you can get. And the fact that every run is unique, you might have the greatest cards ever but they just don't synchronize or you might be having a so-so draws and suddenly everything aligns. Oh, and the fact that you can reuse seeds from older runs to emulate or become better at them (pretty much like chess study).

Fbh

You don't really have to know how to play Poker to enjoy this.
It uses the poker hands, most of which are pretty self explanatory (pair, two pairs,three of a kind, etc) and you can always check what they are with a single button press.
But after a couple of rounds you'll have altered or destroyed cards, multiple modifiers, unique cards, etc so it doesn't really resemble poker anyway.

As for other games, I don't know if you have played it but this reminds me more of Dominion than MTG or Hearthstone. Each run you create a new deck, and a lot the strategy revolves around how you manage to synergize the various upgrades that become available to you

Arsic

Historic is still fun but yea idk why they never added commander
Commander I believe lets you use any card ever in the history of MTG, and arena only has like 30% of all cards ever made in it.

To add all those cards they claim is too big of a task.

Freeman76

Man im shit at this. I beat the blue deck with a fluke combo that was doing stupid combos and i didnt really know how, then today I spent 6 hours straight trying to beat the red deck, finally did it and when I did I beat the last boss in my first hand it was a real rush! Again though, I got lucky with 2 jokers that gave a multiplier on the entire score, and I got another joker that copies the one to the right. I was getting over 100k scores just off one pair of 10s, was a lot of fun. Cant believe how good this game is

Ahh this game can be so cruel. Had a build in which I was going to go endless with. Was hitting 11+ mil on ante 6 with the abstract joker in my build and doing next to nothing. I end up not even beating ante 7 as I was only playing kings and queens due to my legendary joker and got the boss that didn't allow me to play face cards. No chance for a reroll via tags or voucher. You win or lose a lot in this game but this was by far my biggest hurt of a loss. Was such a fun build.
9a287DO.jpg

Man I can’t beat Purple stake. I can’t get good joker synergy. If I get some good multi+ and multiX going, I get no chip jokers. If I get some good chip jokers, I get trash multi jokers. Seems I am yet to unlock some of the better jokers still, as well.

But I did just do my first build utilizing high card and got the closest I have come yet. High card builds are the best imho.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm just getting started - played about an hour and got up to ante 4. Seems pretty dope, will definitely keep playing. I assume that like most rogue-likes, the more stuff you do the more you'll unlock to eventually get higher and higher scores / synergy? I unlocked a few new Joker cards that sounded really good.

TwiztidElf

I had so much success early with the Nebula deck and two-pair builds that I actively push hard for it rather than adapting to conditions, and it's really hurting my game now.
I need to wipe the slate clean and try new things.

GermanZepp

The game is fucking me up to the point is not funny. Couldn't win with any card deck yet. I'm starting to think that I'm losing something on translation. Some good jokers that I don't know how to use?

Boosting pair hands don't let past 8 ante.
Boosting straight either.
Boosting face cards tampoco.

I'm getting out of ideas I'm already out of luck.

The game is fucking me up to the point is not funny. Couldn't win with any card deck yet. I'm starting to think that I'm losing something on translation. Some good jokers that I don't know how to use?

Boosting pair hands don't let past 8 ante.
Boosting straight either.
Boosting face cards tampoco.

I'm getting out of ideas I'm already out of luck.
Not sure how much you have played but some quick tips.

1) Make sure you read the jokers fully. I felt really stupid as I didn't realize this until about 10+ hours in, but some jokers give you times multiple (xMult) and some give you plus mult.

2) To piggyback off of point one, you can move the jokers around. You can also do this before AND during a round. Some builds can get wacky which require you to have to move jokers around constantly for max efficiency. But typically, make sure flat mult and added chip jokers are first and xMult jokers are last in your build.

3) You mention "boosting" pair and straight. I'm assuming you mean the celestial packs? Builds leveling them up are def viable with certain jokers but in my experience, arcana packs/ Tarot cards are stronger and if given the choice of celestial or arcana, I would go arcana more than not (but again, it really does matter in your build). Specifically, steel and glass cards are REALLY strong as you get to higher antes.

GermanZepp

Not sure how much you have played but some quick tips.

1) Make sure you read the jokers fully. I felt really stupid as I didn't realize this until about 10+ hours in, but some jokers give you times multiple (xMult) and some give you plus mult.

2) To piggyback off of point one, you can move the jokers around. You can also do this before AND during a round. Some builds can get wacky which require you to have to move jokers around constantly for max efficiency. But typically, make sure flat mult and added chip jokers are first and xMult jokers are last in your build.

3) You mention "boosting" pair and straight. I'm assuming you mean the celestial packs? Builds leveling them up are def viable with certain jokers but in my experience, arcana packs/ Tarot cards are stronger and if given the choice of celestial or arcana, I would go arcana more than not (but again, it really does matter in your build). Specifically, steel and glass cards are REALLY strong as you get to higher antes.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Yes i'm like 20hs in easily.

from 1) Yes i noticed that diference
from 2) for f*cks sake i noticed this yesterday, i moved and sold jokers but i didn't though multiplier get affecter ¿by the order? cause always get them triggered. (i think maybe this is what my runs need).
from 3) Boosting from celestial packs and especific jokers to play early hands. But apreciated your imput.

Last edited:

Bridges

I would to see this come to Android/iOS.
I desperately need it on Gamepass so I can keep playing through Xcloud. No Play Anywhere support either. I'm out of the country right now and kicking myself for not getting it on Steam, now I have no way to get my fix unless I buy it again haha

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Quick tip for plasma deck. Thats one of the later unlockable ones that balances chips and multiplier.

So let's say your hand traditionally scores 40 x 6 = 240 pts

It will make it 23 x 23 = 529 pts, where it's (40+6)/2 * by that again.

So what you want to do is load up more on lots of high scoring blue chip scoring cards and jokers that do +50 or +80 chips etc.... because splitting that /2 gets you more points calculations than picking a card that is x10 multiplier /2.

Last edited:

DrFigs

great game. really enjoying it on ps portal. not sure it'll have the staying power of slay the spire for me because it is a little basic, but we'll see.

Mercador

Purchased this game this week, I got my first win after 3 runs. Now though, I'm still going for two pairs level up all the time. Is it me or I'm missing something?

Top Bottom