• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition announced - Summer 2012 [Up: BG2:EE also announced]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nairume

Banned
But I don't wanna remember how THAC0 works.
Roll a d20, add any modifiers, subtract that total from THAC0, and then compare it to the target's AC.

If it's equal or less than the AC, you hit. If it's more, you miss. THAC0 is a lot simpler than people remember.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Biggest thing to add are tooltips for understanding what exactly all those flashing auras and lights surrounding mages are, especially in BG2. Too often fights became a clusterfuck guessing game of casting various 'Breach-type' spells in hope they properly counter whatever swirling magical effects were at work on mages especially. The single biggest complaint I had during my replay last summer off GoG.

Mitama

Wait, who are those ugly cartoon characters? Pretty excited for this, but wonder how it'll be enhanced exactly. Hope it's just a polishing of the graphics and not touching the gameplay.

AlexBasch

It's going to be dumbed down for casual console gamers.

I haven't played BG ): and the above statement was a joke. Someone will say that in a serious manner I suppose.

Perkel

Banned
This is my thinking.

If it sucks I can always make my own Enhanced Edition by loading the BG1 campaign in the BG2 engine + the widescreen mod.

Ot they did saw how modders done that and now they rerelese as Enchenced edition (bg1 and 2 on 2 engine as one game with working multi), if that's the enchanced edition then i will buy it day one.

Lancehead

Enhanced Edition was a very positive thing for The Witcher.

BG1 already has a lot of extra content over the years. I imagine they updated the graphics. Even if the updated graphics are inoffensive, it wouldn't be a huge selling point to me. Especially considering the way they built this up.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Haven not played these due ot the interface/gfx

Yup.

tumblr_ligk3x9igF1qe7tl7o1_400.jpg

Gelry

aka Bastiaan
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is going to have new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members
Hurrah!
https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster/status/180376741154529280

AlexBasch

Really? The game still looks great.
I just watched a gameplay video of it. Pause at the start of the battle, the guy selected a shitload of commands, unpaused for like 2 seconds, paused again, selected another batch of commands, unpaused for a couple of seconds, selected more commands, unpaused, battle won.

It's almost how I play Dragon Age Origins (hear me out, before you people rip me apart), but this game looks a lot more tactical than any modern games, I can see some people not really feeling interested on getting to play it. I might, one day.

Varna

I'll keep my eye on this... But baldurs gate already has a ridiculous amount of fantastic mods that it will be hard for whatever this is to not look like a ridiculously inferior version.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've somehow never played the Baldur's Gate games, so I'm cautiously optimistic. If this sucks, I'll probably go ahead and play the originals.

dude

dude
I just watched a gameplay video of it. Pause at the start of the battle, the guy selected a shitload of commands, unpaused for like 2 seconds, paused again, selected another batch of commands, unpaused for a couple of seconds, selected more commands, unpaused, battle won.

It's almost how I play Dragon Age Origins (hear me out, before you people rip me apart), but this game looks a lot more tactical than any modern games, I can see some people not really feeling interested on getting to play it. I might, one day.

And they better keep it this way.

Sentenza

Yeah, well, it plays *exactly like an improved version of Dragon age, with better ruleset and more tactical combat.
About pausing every two seconds... that's up to the player, actually.

Alwares

Neo Member
Modifiying an almost perfect game is always a risk.
If they made a simple HD version remake is good enough for me. Just dont change the graphic style, only enchant it!

But over all, dont change the original audio files! **** or Bioware should face the wrath of Boo!

Do you understand that in between those "unpaused for like 2 seconds" and everything else comes a lot of thinking, strategy and "oh shit"s?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
But over all, dont change the original audio files! **** or Bioware should face the wrath of Boo!

Truth. I'd say the BG series is an example of the audio actually being more important to the "feel" of the game than the graphics.

dondarm

Banned
Changing the ruleset would require profoundly changing the game. No way that's going to happen.
3rd Editition sholdn't be that hard though, Icewind Dale 2 was using that too. (And I think there are some mod projects for BG trying to achive the same thing.)

Serialxp

Banned
If they aren't stupidy it would be a great start for the new (2013) edition of d&d, like some of the last ad&d titles had some d&d 3e rules (icewind dale 2 is one of then).

ultron87

Roll a d20, add any modifiers, subtract that total from THAC0, and then compare it to the target's AC.

If it's equal or less than the AC, you hit. If it's more, you miss. THAC0 is a lot simpler than people remember.

I suppose that isn't that bad. D20 + mods >= AC => hit is still vastly superior of course.

Shanks

Are any of these games playable on a newer Mac? I was under the impression they used a rosetta wrapper which isn't on Mac since Lion.

dude

dude
Modifiying an almost perfect game is always a risk.
If they made a simple HD version remake is good enough for me. Just dont change the graphic style, only enchant it!

This is basically what makes me so pessimistic - I see almost no chance of them nailing the feel and style of the original game... BG has so much charm, that pretty much any change could ruin. That said, the game could use some modernization in term of UI, which I hope is pretty much all they change.

szaromir

Banned
I hope they add new areas and not increase the quest/character density in existing areas. The wilderness in BG1 is supposed to be empty for the most part, finding characters/items/secrets every two minutes would break the spell.

AlexBasch

Yeah, well, it plays *exactly like an improved version of Dragon age, with better ruleset and more tactical combat.
I'd like that. I know I found Origins to be an awesome game when I played it in PC and found it a horrible, boring mess on consoles when I played it first in there.

Do you understand that in between those "unpaused for like 2 seconds" and everything else comes a lot of thinking, strategy and "oh shit"s?
Maybe by looking at it it doesn't look that way, I'd need to experience that firsthand. I wasn't criticizing the gameplay, but mostly of a "I don't know what the hell is going on" thing.

Nairume

Banned
3rd Editition sholdn't be that hard though, Icewind Dale 2 was using that too. (And I think there are some mod projects for BG trying to achive the same thing.)
Whether it'd be hard or not for them to change it to 3rd or 4th edition (and let's be honest, if they are going to change it, it's going to be 4th Edition) isn't the issue here. The issue is just the amount of work it'd require for them to go back and rework everything to fit within the confines of the new system. Again, not hard, but it's a lot of effort when it'd be much easier for them to just focus on updating the visuals and adding new content.

Icewind Dale 2 was a game built from the ground up for 3E. This wasn't.

Serialxp

Banned

It is a shitty ruleset, and I am a long time d&d player. BG games are good in spite of the gameplay mechanics not because then.

Nairume

Banned
I suppose that isn't that bad. D20 + mods >= AC => hit is still vastly superior of course.

Oh definitely. While THAC0 is simply just an extra step of math above that, it's still an extra step and entirely unnecessary in the face of what 3rd and 4th went with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom