• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition announced - Summer 2012 [Up: BG2:EE also announced]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drazgul

I just watched a gameplay video of it. Pause at the start of the battle, the guy selected a shitload of commands, unpaused for like 2 seconds, paused again, selected another batch of commands, unpaused for a couple of seconds, selected more commands, unpaused, battle won.

BG also had a lot of difficulty levels - the easiest ones are pretty damn easy.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
From Trent Oster's Twitter

I'm actually a little disappointed that it's BG1 only, as BG2 is generally the better game. As I just started a BG1/tutu game, I think I'll just stop where I am and do BG2+ToB, save the years of not having played through BG1 for the new shit.

Nairume

Banned
It is a shitty ruleset, and I am a long time d&d player. BG games are good in spite of the gameplay mechanics not because then.

2nd edition is still good as a P&P game, but it doesn't really translate well into video gaming. BG:EE would actually benefit by being translated into 4E, but, again, that's way too much effort for it to really be worth it.

Sentenza

It is a shitty ruleset, and I am a long time d&d player. BG games are good in spite of the gameplay mechanics not because then.
It could be even a steaming pile of bad smelling vomit, and it would crush Dragon Age without effort in any case.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster/status/180380099739267072
We knew #baldursgate was going to be popular, but we never thought it would trigger a DDOS shut down
Well, you are fucking clueless then.

The only change I'd like is for the inventory to be a unified screen across all characters. If you have to stick with the old weight system then have a giant grid sectioned off for each character so I can transfer stuff without going to each character sheet. Alternatively just get rid of weight all-together. I get that it's D&D rules but it only adds tedium to the game. There's already limited inventory space.

Also the vendor screen could be a lot better.

Durante

I just watched a gameplay video of it. Pause at the start of the battle, the guy selected a shitload of commands, unpaused for like 2 seconds, paused again, selected another batch of commands, unpaused for a couple of seconds, selected more commands, unpaused, battle won.
That's not the interface, that's the gameplay. And I don't see any problem with it.

Serialxp

Banned
2nd edition is still good as a P&P game, but it doesn't really translate well into video gaming. BG:EE would actually benefit by being translated into 4E, but, again, that's way too much effort for it to really be worth it.

A new edition of d&d was announced in January, if they will use new d&d rules it should be from this new version. It would be a great to get new d&d players.

AlexBasch

That's not the interface, that's the gameplay. And I don't see any problem with it.
Again, I wasn't criticizing it. It was merely an opinion of what I saw when I watched a gameplay video of a game I have never played, but that I feel interested on trying out.

dude

dude

2nd edition is a great system. I actually prefer it over 4e!

Anyway, they should gameplay, including D&D ruleset, intact.

Nairume

Banned
A new edition of d&d was announced in January, if they will use new d&d rules it should be from this new version. It would be a great to get new d&d players.
5th Edition is still at least a year off and is nowhere near being ready to be turned into a game.

But it'd at least make more sense than them updating it to 3E.

2nd edition is a great system. it's not like it's that hard to deal with...
They should gameplay, including D&D ruleset, intact.
I agree that they should just leave it as it is, but I'd be fine with them updating it to 4th.

Sentenza

2nd edition is still good as a P&P game, but it doesn't really translate well into video gaming.
I'm well aware of all the limits of D&D as ruleset, and yet I'm simply baffled when people makes these statements, considering how nine rulesets out of ten in videogames are worse than any incarnation of D&D by far (and in fact I have more a hard time listing better rulestes than worse ones).

trentosterkqkpu.png

Seems, there will be some surprises regarding platforms..

EDIT: lol @ mouse pointer fail

Nairume

Banned
Hmm, in light of that tweet, Minsc, would it be too close to port begging, if I suggested that a WiiU version is probably not all that unlikely?

dude

dude
Oh, console ports. Seeing how they butcher the controls should be entertaining at least :p

That said - I am very much for an iPad and WiiU versions. I'd like to see how they can adapt the interface to a touch interface, considering that's clearly the future.

Victrix

*beard*
Pre-order Bonus: Minsc the hero!

DLC Content: Power up your game with our exclusive DLC level 9 spells and High Power Magic Equipment!

If you download the resolution/widescreen fixes for Infinity Engine games, they already look amazing, as if the artwork was originally intended for those resolutions. Outside of actual "new" content, which I'm wary of, I don't see the point.

Serialxp

Banned
2nd edition is a great system. I actually prefer it over 4e!

Anyway, they should gameplay, including D&D ruleset, intact.

Well if they don't change the gameplay I will not buy it, I already have the original game and think that the graphics are fine.

Mitama

Oh, console ports. Seeing how they butcher the controls should be entertaining at least :p

Yeah... remember how in Dragon Age: Origins they had to move from an isometric view to a third person view and how you couldn't properly pause and issue commands like on the PC version? If this does make it to the consoles, I hope it won't suffer the same fate. DA:O's combat on consoles was fine I guess, but the pausing and commanding the entire party just adds so much more depth to the combat.

Nairume

Banned
So, next to no details? This is disappointing so far.
We have a timeframe, a slight bit of explaination as to what EE is going to entail, and that it is staying 2nd Ed.

Of course, I am now laughing that we are getting another 2nd edition game when there is still only the one 4E game for Facebook.

I'm not laughing :(

bengraven

What the fuck is Beamdog?

And why is the developer of the game a sub-division of this Beamdog?

And why does that make me feel really uncertain about this?

From what I've been able to find over the last 5 mins, it seems that Beamdog only have two ex-Bioware devs. Trent Oster, who was a modeler for the original BG, and Cameron Tofer, who was a programmer on the original BG.

EDIT: Oh, Trent lead the development of Neverwinter Nights and the expansions.

I did not enjoy what I played of BG1. So at least personally I don't see how this could possibly end up being worse.

Simply upping the resolution won't help what time has done.
Sure it will. Every infinity game is perfectly playable at a high widescreen resolution. You only need to tweak the UI and text.

From what I've been able to find over the last 5 mins, it seems that Beamdog only have two ex-Bioware devs. Trent Oster, who was a modeler for the original BG, and Cameron Tofer, who was a programmer on the original BG.

And that is the only thing left that gives me hope for this. :(

Nairume

Banned
What the fuck is Beamdog?

And why is the developer of the game a sub-division of this Beamdog?

And why does that make me feel really uncertain about this?
Beamdog is a group of ex-Bioware alums that have thus far worked on porting/rejiggering old Bioware games to be completely playable on modern systems/consoles. Overhaul is the specific team inside Beamdogs that specifically remasters the games.

bengraven

Beamdog is a group of ex-Bioware alums that have thus far worked on porting/rejiggering old Bioware games to be completely playable on modern systems/consoles. Overhaul is the specific team inside Beamdogs that specifically remasters the games.

Their website looks like a marketplace.

Is this kind of like GOG and CD Projekt...?

Tildom

Banned
A little bit dissapointed. Until the end I wished a Baldur's Gate III.

I'll buy it only because in Spain we never had Tales of the Sword Coast and I want to play full both games.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Does that imply that both games will be simultaneously available this summer?

Ventrue

Oh boy.

There will be two games. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition #bgee=BG+TotSC, bg2ee=bg2+ToB

From his twitter.

EDIT: Beaten, but new page I guess.

Cdammen

I'm OK with this. Even if it will be a bad "enhancement" I will still have the original... in it's five or six CD-ROM sleeve, and it's monster to manual, and the gigantic box it came in, and the color map :)

Nohar

I wonder if they will include the fanmod (well, not really a fanmod in fact) Ascension to ToB... We need the composition of the team ASAP, in order to know if the ones who made Ascension will contribute to this Enhanced edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom