• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bands/artists that had a massive change in genre from their debut album/early career?

Page 5 and no Pink Floyd? smh Gaf

From, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn to Atom Heart Mother, there is too much difference and even more to meddle, from psychedelic Rock to Prog Rock, damn King Crimson really change a lot of bands.

Another example but i don't know if counts, Miles Davis sound from the late 50's to late 60's and 70's was really different (Jazz fusion).

The post right before yours was in response to a post about Pink Floyd.

kalgore

Neo Member
The Offspring was the first band that came to mind. I really liked Smash and Inxnay but when Americana came out I hated the new ultra poppy sound.

-shadow-

Vangelis when he was part of Aphrodite's Child he composed together with someone else the entirety of 666 and these days does mostly modern classic with his latest album Rosetta being another example of him doing that.

In all fairness, he has done some ridiculous amounts of different genres, but I'm personally disappointed that he never returned to the more rough and experimental style that he always used to have. Earth, Spiral, Mask, Oceanic, Blade Runner and more. They're all so different from each other, but going through his work in order does show a very clear line of him working his way towards where he is today.

choodi

Banned
Nah. I mean, I know it's common to think shrieked vocals = "blackened", but it's still not even that shrieky, and outside of vocals, there's pretty much nothing "blackened" about it.
I'll give you that, there might be at least a hint of the influence from 90's Norwegian BM (though incredibly minor, it's more a generic "Scandinavian sound" so to speak, not really black metal itself, but I admit they're often confused/unfairly lumped together), at least, unlike in, say, Tristania or Sepultura. xD

Compared to the doom/death of the period, they had more similarities to the black metal sound for my ear.

Either way, metal subgenres...meh! There's only one subgenre for Katatonia and that's Fucking awesome!

Top Bottom