• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Depeche Mode rejects claim by Richard Spencer that they're 'band of alt right'

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/depeche-mode-reject-alt-right-leaders-band-praise-w468558

Richard Spencer, the white nationalist and unofficial Alt-Right leader whose previous connection to music was getting punched in the head repeatedly to different songs, perhaps unwittingly picked a fight with Depeche Mode at the annual conservative gathering CPAC on Thursday.

When asked if he likes rock music, according to New York magazine's Olivia Nuzzi, Spencer joked, "Depeche Mode is the official band of the Alt-Right." Though the "lifelong Depeche Mode fan" later told Rolling Stone, "My tongue was firmly in cheek," the 38-year-old speaker-provocateur expounded on his love of the group, prompting a quick rebuttal from the left-leaning band.

"They aren't a typical rock band, in terms of lyrics and much else," he tells Rolling Stone. "Depeche Mode is a band of existential angst, pain, sadism, horror, darkness and much more. It's not bubblegum pop, with frontmen who sing about 'luuuuv' and sugarplum faries [sic]. There was a certain Communist aesthetic to an early album like [1982's] A Broken Frame as well as titles like Music for the Masses but then there's a bit of a fascist element, too. It's obviously ambiguous, and as with all art, everything is multi-layer, contradictory and ambivalent."

When reached for comment, a rep for the band told Rolling Stone, "Depeche Mode has no ties to Richard Spencer or the Alt-Right and does not support the Alt-Right movement."

Hopefully not too many people run out and bash these guys. DM has been an outspoken critic of the Trump WH and if you listen to their music (ex people are people) you know they preach tolerant.

I hope at the very least from all of this, DM gets some new younger fans.

"Provocateur" is quickly becoming just another sugar-coaty bullshit buzzword because racist white supremacists are too fragile to be called racist white supremacist.

IrishNinja

KMFDM in the studios right now

Enjoy their silence

ahaha, masterfully done

"Provocateur" is quickly becoming just another sugar-coaty bullshit buzzword because racist white supremacists are too fragile to be called racist white supremacist.

yeah, can't remember if james o'queef or whoever was the first person i saw with it, but it's basically troll with overtly racist tendencies, yeah

ascii42

The alt-right should listen to the lyrics of "People Are People"
People are people
So why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully

So we're different colours
And we're different creeds
And different people have different needs
It's obvious you hate me
Though I've done nothing wrong
I've never even met you so what could I have done

I can't understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand

Help me understand

Now you're punching
And you're kicking
And you're shouting at me
I'm relying on your common decency
So far it hasn't surfaced
But I'm sure it exists
It just takes a while to travel
From your head to your fists

.JayZii

Banned
It's unfortunate that artists and creators don't really get a say in whether their work becomes a hate symbol/anthem of the alt right or not.

D i Z

MarionCB

I like Rolling Stone, they usually have great articles, but I'm disappointed in them for using the sympathetic description of "speaker-provocateur" for this guy. It needs to be "Neo-Nazi" or "White Supremacist" or "Fascist Fuckboy". There's a disturbing trend in the media of humanising and normalising these pieces of shit.

Also, I'm glad Depeche Mode squashed this. Reminds me of when David Cameron said he was a fan of The Smiths, and both Morrissey and Marr publicly told him he is not allowed to be.

Also, I'm glad Depeche Mode squashed this. Reminds me of when David Cameron said he was a fan of The Smiths, and both Morrissey and Marr publicly told him he is not allowed to be.
Lol how did I forget about this? This definitely sounds like something Morrissey would say.

Alt-Right all about stealing things to claim as their's. From cartoon frogs to alternative 80's bands. Next they're going to be claiming ancient Indian religious symbols.

yeah, can't remember if james o'queef or whoever was the first person i saw with it, but it's basically troll with overtly racist tendencies, yeah

Even "Troll" is putting it mildly. It gives the assholes the benefit of the doubt of them being able to "detach" themselves from their statements by saying "it's a troll".

These are assholes who say asshole things. Sugarcoating these people as "provocateurs" is just playing their game. Oh they're just being assholes on purpose! They're trying to get people riled up! BS. Rolling Stone and anyone else using that "term" should be ashamed of themselves for doing their part in normalizing this behavior.

I am so tired of these profile pieces on freaks of nature like Milo Y. and R. Spencer.

What do they like?
How do they think?
Do they think this shirt makes me look fat?
lol at their beliefs -- so silly! Oh, Richard. Sigh!
What's their favorite fast food?

It's the only avenue of discussion for cults of personality who only have attention for being insane, and giving that attention to them is giving their shitty message lifeblood.

Fuck Richard Spencer's musical taste.

This makes me so mad. One of my favorite bands. Makes no fucking sense.

I don't think you have to worry that this will hurt DM (at least I hope it doesn't?) I think it might actually be a positive, People that have never heard of this band (Younger people) might go out and check them out.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Though the "lifelong Depeche Mode fan" later told Rolling Stone, "My tongue was firmly in cheek," the 38-year-old speaker-provocateur expounded on his love of the group, prompting a quick rebuttal from the left-leaning band.

Honestly, no need to incite and make this shit into a headline. Because the asshole clearly admits he was being facetious.

Die and enjoy hell, Spencer.

Nightbird

Alternative discographies?

They listen to the song with its Alternative Lyrics

thats-good.gif

wandering

Banned
"They aren't a typical rock band, in terms of lyrics and much else," he tells Rolling Stone. "Depeche Mode is a band of existential angst, pain, sadism, horror, darkness and much more..."

Those aren't really rare themes in rock music...

yagal

Has he... heard their new single?

That was a cover band for a CNN's show about the protests in the US airports after the Muslim ban

It's midnight here and i'm listening The singles 81-85... I will not sleep tonight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom