• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts - Demo on XBLM Now

JRW

Man the Clanker game where you have to protect his eyes is absolutely frustrating, I got the other 3 jiggys in the level fairly easy but this part is friggin ridiculous!

Dabanton

dirtmonkey37 said:
The bipolar response to this has been confusing. With my 360 in Microsoft's repair center, can people expand a bit on the imprecise and "floaty" vehicle controls? This seems to be the only downside of the game as even a few previews from reputable sites mentioned it.

The controls felt fine to me. You are after all riding a tray with wheels attached to it. It's not going to be the most precise ride until you upgrade.

PseudoKirby said:
ok now I know I am definately where I am not supposed to be in the game.... I just got into one of those towers that has a parts box.... now to get out with the parts box and see whats inside..
I have to try this!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, maybe once you get badass parts etc.. the game becomes fun...
But in the demo.. with the limited parts you have.. the game is SUPER frustrating.

Jtwo said:
Yeah, maybe once you get badass parts etc.. the game becomes fun...
But in the demo.. with the limited parts you have.. the game is SUPER frustrating.
Did you get the crate on mumbo's roof? It doubles the majority of stuff in your building inventory.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Dabanton said:
The controls felt fine to me. You are after all riding a tray with wheels attached to it. It's not going to be the most precise ride until you upgrade.

Has it been confirmed by George K. or other members of Rare that this is indeed the case-- that the upgrades will reduce the floaty nature of the driving controls? If this is the case, I don't see what all the fuss is about; it seems like it will be only a matter of minutes or hours (in the final game) before you'll get better parts that will allow your vehicle to function more smoothly.

Brashnir

dirtmonkey37 said:
The bipolar response to this has been confusing. With my 360 in Microsoft's repair center, can people expand a bit on the imprecise and "floaty" vehicle controls? This seems to be the only downside of the game as even a few previews from reputable sites mentioned it.

I think a lot of the problems with the vehicle controls are coming from one of the missions where you have to drive around on the top and sides of a pretty steep mound. The vehicles are exceedingly tough to control on this kind of surface, and you tend to slide around a lot.

I know that one of the items you unlock later in the game is stickier tires, and it seems that those will improve the vehicle handling a lot once you get them - but they're not in the demo to my knowledge.

It's also a bit tough to control the vehicles on the bumpy soccer field mission. I didn't find this one quite as frustrating, since it seemed that the field was specifically designed to throw off your ability to drive. It was just part of the challenge that had to be overcome.

JRW

Ah ok I finished the demo and it shows that 10fps choppy game play footage montage, They couldn't use smoother video? Anyhow I'd have to call this game a mixed bag but Ill probably end up buying it :D

Chris R

Already planning on buying it. Demo was fun but hard (granted I was rushing through everything). After I really learn how to play it I can see this being a great game. Kinda angry at the frame rate drops here and there though.

Rlan

Brashnir said:
I think a lot of the problems with the vehicle controls are coming from one of the missions where you have to drive around on the top and sides of a pretty steep mound. The vehicles are exceedingly tough to control on this kind of surface, and you tend to slide around a lot.

I know that one of the items you unlock later in the game is stickier tires, and it seems that those will improve the vehicle handling a lot once you get them - but they're not in the demo to my knowledge.

It's also a bit tough to control the vehicles on the bumpy soccer field mission. I didn't find this one quite as frustrating, since it seemed that the field was specifically designed to throw off your ability to drive. It was just part of the challenge that had to be overcome.

A handbrake would have been nice.

I played the demo again during lunchtime at work and I am warming up to it a little. A had more of a chance to fuck around with the editors and make a copter, and I screwed around with the Wumba's Grabbing machine to give it more motors and a propellor in the front to make it faster, which certainly helped with the soccerball game.

I am sick of this, I can only get into Tower 1 by going in through the bottom doors... and I was only able to do that 3 times, now for some reason it doesnt wanna work... I want those damn crates..

I'm glad the missions are challenging. The game would be fairly lame if you could plow through all the missions with one vehicle. Building vehicles for very specific challenges is going to be a blast.

Brashnir

Rlan said:
A handbrake would have been nice.

I played the demo again during lunchtime at work and I am warming up to it a little. A had more of a chance to fuck around with the editors and make a copter, and I screwed around with the Wumba's Grabbing machine to give it more motors and a propellor in the front to make it faster, which certainly helped with the soccerball game.

yeah, a handbrake would be nice. where to map the control though? is LB used for anything? Making the handbrake an upgrade part you could put on your vehicle could work too.

Chrange

Banned
JRW said:
Man the Clanker game where you have to protect his eyes is absolutely frustrating, I got the other 3 jiggys in the level fairly easy but this part is friggin ridiculous!

It was pretty easy with a custom machine - built with a low stance and wide wheelbase so the hill didn't bother me. Use the egg thrower and just keep shooting and driving through the groups to bash them with the vehicle too.

saunderez

Chrange said:
It was pretty easy with a custom machine - built with a low stance and wide wheelbase so the hill didn't bother me. Use the egg thrower and just keep shooting and driving through the groups to bash them with the vehicle too.
Interesting. I'm still getting my head around the builds, I tried to make a motorbike type build but it turned out useless due to the fact it fell over so easily. Wide wheelbase makes sense for Clanker though, thanks for the advice.

eso76

might be one of those cases where a demo will satiate my hunger for nice graphics without having to buy the game, unless i end up really liking the game.

Chrange

Banned
saunderez said:
Interesting. I'm still getting my head around the builds, I tried to make a motorbike type build but it turned out useless due to the fact it fell over so easily. Wide wheelbase makes sense for Clanker though, thanks for the advice.

I used a motorbike for the race that called for a 'nimble and quick' machine. The first motorbike was an abomination though, you really need to think about 'balance' when putting engines and all that stuff on the machine. It wound up being a wheelie monster, but not much good for racing.

The second one was far better and I got my first TT trophy.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It would be insanely fun to have a multiplayer mode where you first go out and fight over parts, and then use what you've managed to scrounge to build a machine to accomplish some challenge. Didn't someone already make a hit tv show on that premise?

Brashnir

SapientWolf said:
It would be insanely fun to have a multiplayer mode where you first go out and fight over parts, and then use what you've managed to scrounge to build a machine to accomplish some challenge. Didn't someone already make a hit tv show on that premise?

yeah, a Junkyard Wars mode could be awesome.

VALIS

PseudoKirby said:
found a glitch

find brown box, put brown box in cart, stand on brown box, highlight cart, use magic wrench on cart = Flying in showdown town.... now to get around that barrier..

Awesome tip. I haven't found a way around the demo barrier, though. Have you?

To the people disappointed there isn't much on foot platforming, go find every musical note in the two worlds and then come back and tell me there isn't much on foot platforming. Jumping on narrow ledges, awnings and walkways, balancing yourself on wires... have you climbed all the way up to the top of L.O.G.'s house? Lots of classic platforming there. Or climbed on the other houses in town? I've found I think six parts boxes in Showdown Town, and there might be more. The lazy will find two or three. The game is definitely not all vehicles. I'd say (based on the demo anyway), it's more like 70/30.

I wish they would've given Banjo the Flap Flip and the Feathery Flap back, though. He doesn't have many moves.

Kafel

Banned
FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT

a4ce48fe1dfdf382f01fa10394ca204120081030061213.jpg

:D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
VALIS said:

To the people disappointed there isn't much on foot platforming, go find every musical note in the two worlds and then come back and tell me there isn't much on foot platforming. Jumping on narrow ledges, awnings and walkways, balancing yourself on wires... have you climbed all the way up to the top of L.O.G.'s house? Lots of classic platforming there. Or climbed on the other houses in town? I've found I think six parts boxes in Showdown Town, and there might be more. The lazy will find two or three. The game is definitely not all vehicles. I'd say (based on the demo anyway), it's more like 70/30.

I wish they would've given Banjo the Flap Flip and the Feathery Flap back, though. He doesn't have many moves.

I did climb up on his house, but it just...wasn't really fun. There are parts where you can platform to get notes or find a box, but Banjo has a basic jump and nothing more, and for some reason it's just really easy to fall off ledges now.

The problem isn't really the fact that there aren't many platforming areas, it's more that the game just isn't refined as a platformer. Mumbo also kept popping up basically asking "Why are you on foot? That's what vehicles are for!" multiple times, didn't really help. In the first level most/all of the platforming is circumvented be flying to the area, and being on foot felt more like an ant in a giant world so it felt like you were getting nowhere.

After a second play, I warmed up a lot to the building though. You can do some cool stuff, and it isn't hard at all. Things like putting a spring on the front to knock back enemies is creative, I can just imagine what people will make with everything in there hands...but the rest of the game is just a big meh so far for me.

Most of the missions were just not that fun, and the ending video looked like there will be a ton of racing. Being able to fly is always nice, but it seems like it may limit the levels, I'm assuming they'll all be like boxed rooms so you can hit some sort of boundary. On top of that, and it might just be the first level in general, but it felt like another hub world with a few enemies where you found people to do some objective for a jiggy. The enemies also did nothing but bother you, they didn't pose as a threat at all. Drowning(my vechicle got stuck in the mast laying in the underwater tunnel so I ended up dying) led to Kazooie slapping you back to life, but I'm guessing that won't actually be in the retail game without lives of some sort. If it stays like this you can't actually die, and if your vehicle breaks holding RB will instantly fix it up.

soco

i'm looking forward to this game, but it was kinda hard to play the game. i wanted to build lots of things but the parts in the demo seem so restrictive. i enjoyed the mini-games, and like others just hope there's a lot of diversity.

the one thing that annoyed me was the egg gun and shooting seemed really wonky. i found ramming the bad guys to work better -- if only the vehicle controlled better there. i also wasn't able to read most of the stuff in time. after playing fable 2 where there's voice for nearly everything it's really hard to play this. they should've just made banjo talk his gibberish and have a new pal that translates for him ;)

VALIS said:

nope, but I will find a way, I have discovered alot of glitches for halo 2 (one of the first to do the superjump, not going to take credit for it though), and I wanna see the rest of showdown town

VALIS

GreekWolf said:
I must do this immediately, if not sooner.

I just built it, it's quite awesome. I figured you'd spring about 10 feet in the air. Nope. Hundreds. :D

I just tried to add a propeller, motor and fuel tank to the back of the spring chair.... not working well. Needs wing-like appendages to stay aloft.

I gotta say, I really enjoyed the overall feel of the demo. The music rocks and don't get me started on the graphics. I'm so day one-ing this :D

With that said, I'd rather have a pure platformer than to have to put up with the vehicle mechanics. They just feel... tacked on.

VALIS

Papercuts said:
Mumbo also kept popping up basically asking "Why are you on foot? That's what vehicles are for!" multiple times, didn't really help.

If you go into Banjo Land and come back with a jiggy, no one bothers you with pop up messages anymore.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
VALIS said:
If you go into Banjo Land and come back with a jiggy, no one bothers you with pop up messages anymore.

Oh, I was always go for all 4 in one swoop, so that's good to know.

Anyone else think the 39.99 pricetag might be a sign that there isn't really much of a 'game' here? There's a good chance the entire thing will revolve around these challenges (mini-games), and maybe that's why Microsoft knocked down the price. The platforming in the demo is certainly bare-bones.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
They didn't charge full price because Viva Pinata's sales show that the XBox 360's fanbase is adverse to anything heavy in primary colors and light on chainsaws and shooting people in the face. Yet I don't think there is anyone here who hasn't owned or used a set of Legos, K'Nex or other construction toy. It's basically a trojan horse.

CartridgeBlower said:
Anyone else think the 39.99 pricetag might be a sign that there isn't really much of a 'game' here? There's a good chance the entire thing will revolve around these challenges (mini-games), and maybe that's why Microsoft knocked down the price. The platforming in the demo is certainly bare-bones.
Yes. MS knocked down the price because there wasn't enough platforming.

*slams head on desk*

Are the nostalgia whiners really this lame?

Chrange

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:

Jesus FUCKING Christ people are trying as hard as they can to knock this game. You're spinning a lower price tag as a BAD THING for fuck's sake. Give your head a shake and if you feel your ass moving, stop fucking posting.

Ok so I finally got round to playing the demo and I'm conflicted. I still like the idea of vehicle based platforming but we don't really see much of it in the demo (Where are the jumping challenges for the vehicle?!) Also as I feared, the controls and physics are far too realistic, that clanker challenge was ridiculously hard because of the physics, I ended up just getting out of my machine and beating up the enemies with a wrench which doesn't really bode well for the rest of the game.

However I am riding in what is essentially a glorified shopping cart so I'm hoping that I can make something that handles decently in the full game. Also the levels (Well Banjoland demo version at least) feel more like a sandbox then an actual Banjo style level, it feels like GTA with missions scattered around the map. I hope that the full game has more variety in it's jiggy challenges, I can see the races getting really boring really fast!

I can see potential but I'm not sure if the idea of vehicle platforming will be capitalized upon fully. Seems like they've relegated platforming to Banjo on foot and left the vehicles to just be about driving and racing.

Tiktaalik

I was going to play the demo, but I couldn't skip cutscenes or speed up text, and after just 30 seconds that drove me crazy enough to just stop playing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nuclear Muffin said:
However I am riding in what is essentially a glorified shopping cart so I'm hoping that I can make something that handles decently in the full game.

You can get more blueprints in the demo (from Humba), or build your own.. Humba has blueprints that are pretty much tailor made for the challenges in the demo..

I only used those in the challenges (i.e. never used just the shopping cart), but still found them frustrating and often tedious. I can only imagine what they'd have been like with just the shopping cart.

That might just be the early challenges though.

Top Bottom