• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts - Demo on XBLM Now

Whoo damn this is one amazing looking game and I'm still stuck in SDville.
Soundtrack is awesome as well.
Can't say much about the game itself since most of the time I was just tooling around taking in the sights.

So I finally sunk my teeth into it.

When I first played, it was kind of meh.

Now that I spent some time with the vehicle custimization (FUCKING AWESOME) I have really begun to like the game alot more. I have created a flying vehicle, a water based vehicle, and one for all around purposes. They're just fun to drive around and mess with their physics. I have only gotten one jiggie so far because I have been too busy messing with vehicles.

When it comes to the platforming in this game, it's still there just without all of Kazooie's moves. For instance I had to find a way ontop of a building but the only way to get up there was to find items to stack up ontop of one another. I'm sure there was a "proper" way but I did it this way, and it was satisfying. It's so open ended platforming wise. Could I have gotten up there with a vehicle? I dunno, unless the game allows you to have flying vehicles in Showdown town later on in the game.

Another instance in which I was platforming was when I got to the top of LOG's factory, that was like a mini level in and of itself of me trying to find the right path to the top and jumping my way there.

Showdown town in the demo is kind of small, but if you get ontop of LOG's factory you will see how huge it will be when you get the full game. It is giagantic and there are huge buildings in the faaaaaaaaaar off distance. I wonder if you'll be able to reach them in the full game.

BanjoLand is rad. When you first go in you'll be blown away by all the locals crammned into it. The music will bring you back to the N64 days. There's alot of exploration to do there still. It really opens up when you get a flying vehicle and you're able to get to all the little parts of the very huge level.

Mumbo's training grounds are also sweet. I must have wasted 30 minutes in there just flying my vehicle around and testing it.

I'm really glad I preordered it and I can't wait to play the original again.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
qirex99 said:
The hate in this thread is amazing.
It's GAF. There would be just as much hate if it was a true platformer.

If other people don't like it, that's fine. But I know that I'm going to like it.

I did four jiggys in Banjo-Land last night and this game is pretty good. The graphics are great and the soundtrack is amazing (both trademark Rare). It's like somebody mixed a Banjo + Lego + GTA. It's fun. The only thing I don't like is the wonky physics. They're not a huge deal but if you vehicle hits the tiniest thing it spins out of control. This is especially evident when doing the one race in Banjo Land where you need to drive that dragon-car thing that also floats. If you run into another vehicle the two of you get locked up and it's nearly impossible to disconnect. Very annoying. Overall a very enjoyable experience though.

Also I love when you leave a car and the inflatable Banjo takes your place in the driver's seat. Brilliant! This game's sense of humor is typically odd British humor and I love it.

Dabanton said:
Has anyone done that barrier glitch yet?

I know someone posted a link earlier in the thread but here it is again.

Cheating the Barrier

The guy is able to fully explore the town and play the first proper mission.

Just did it. Takes a bit of practice and watching he vide carefully.

:lol Don't go to the GYM on the otherisde, it'll give you a disc read error.

Michan

Dabanton said:

Cheating the Barrier

I spent ages yesterday trying to get past the barrier, but gave up. I'll give this a try once the TV is free.

Blablurn

well, i hated the demo and i canceled my preorder at amazon. this game has nothing to do with the old Banjo games, damn rare!

shII_caps_207.jpg

its awesome.

(but why does it have circle-water-effects. they look a bit out of place)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
solid2snake said:
well, i hated the demo and i canceled my preorder at amazon. this game has nothing to do with the old Banjo games, damn rare!
I did the same mind you. Left 4 Dead is all that we need after Gears 2. I wanted this to be like the original. On the plus side, a buddy hooked me up a with a voucher for the XBLA Banjo. Is it up yet or is there a date on it?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Sadly I wanted to love this game, but I can't. I want old school Banjo with some vehicles mixed in, not the other way around. As someone else mentioned, I kept wanting to get out and just explore and jump around, but everything in the world seems twice as big as it should be since they chose to focus on vehicles. I really wish it had more in common with BJ apart from the style. Also I'm not into tinkering in the garage at all. (Yes I know I can use pre-made vehicles.) Physics are a bit wonky too.

Oh well, I'll still be getting the XBLA release though.

Ramenman

pj325is said:
game seems really unfocused, from graphics to gameplay to missions. Also the art style has no coherency. Why is it snowing in the museum?

Wow dude. Fly up to the top of banjoland, and you'll see not only a snow machine, but the whooole transformation mecanism from the giant snowballs going through fans to make little flakes.

And yet you still get to ask "why is it snowing".

The world goes wrong because of you, that's for sure :p

op_ivy said:
wanted to add one more "-" to my impressions...

- no voice acting. this is really painful in this day and age. especially in a game with plenty of witty/funny/interesting dialogue

Hell no ! I've never played a Banjo game before this one, but to me this one screams "please no voice acting". What does it have to do with day and age ? So games like Katamari and Zelda should get voice acting just because it's 2008 even though we know it would ruin the characters ?

I don't agree :mad:

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I don't see why using the vehicle editor, the game's main selling point, is such a revelation to most people.

Because 75% of the game's haters only saw the two first screens and went "WTF MAH BANJO THREEIE VEHICLES VEHICLES RACING GAME GUMMI SHIP" and left, only to come back in every thread saying the same thing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm a little tepid about the demo, but for reasons that are the exact opposite of Banjo fans in this thread. I want them to go all the way with the vehicles. The best part of any (non racing) vehicle based game is usually the combat. And that was easily the weakest part of the demo. So maybe there will be more combat focused challenges in the full game, but if not, the game will be in this uncomfortable no-man's land between a platformer and a sandbox game.

I'm also more optimistic about multiplayer, which isn't in the demo. There was a phenomenal game called Team Buddies that focused on gathering resources to build vehicles and weapons so you could destroy the other player's bases. That entire game would just be one mode in Banjo.

I've never been a fan of Banjo, I tried both on n64 but it was always over shadowed by Mario 64.

The graphics in the demo are the best I've seen from the 360, but I don't like the gameplay both on foot or in vehicle.

Michan

"Break past the barrier" glitch

There's plenty more of Showdown Town to explore, but not really much else to do. Some small amounts of platforming here and there, but you'll probably find yourself driving around most of the time.
The Klungo mini game is a laugh, but it's literally just a 5 or 10 level where all you do is press a single button.

You'll also find
King Jingaling, a crashed UFO, the Rusty Bucket Bay crates with a control panel
(which has been disabled for the demo),
the chief of police, the Gym
(which you can't go into), and some other eye candy.

Take my advice and don't try it; wait for the game to be released before you attempt to explore the rest of the town. At least that way you'll also be finding musical notes, vehicle parts, and challenges whilst exploring.

Firestorm said:
Will the stuff we do in the demo carry over to the full game?
I'm guessing the vehicles will be transferable.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ramenman said:
Hm ? I'm pretty sure you can chose multiplayer in the demo.

Edit : And Team Buddies was awesome.
Wow, the more you know.

From what I've heard, there wasn't a "junkyard war" multiplayer mode yet, but I really hope they add one in. I feel like that is what the physics engine and extensive vehicle customization would be best for.

Woffls

Was Banjo really that much of a platformer in the first place? I just remember running around grassy patches collecting shiny things. Which was awesome :D

Demo is brilliant imo.

Michan

Woffls said:
Was Banjo really that much of a platformer in the first place? I just remember running around grassy patches collecting shiny things. Which was awesome :D

Demo is brilliant imo.
Your memory must be a bit foggy. There's tons of platforming and exploring to be had in the original, coupled with flying and adventure elements. It was compared to SM64 when it should have been appreciated as its own game, regardless of whether or not it borrowed elements from the former. Banjo-Kazooie really was in a class of its own.

Woffls

I generally think of the early levels when I think of the game, I suppose when I think about later levels there was some heavy platforming. But I'm still reluctant to call the game a platformer, because it wasn't really. Especially when you compare it to the likes of Mario or even Crash Bandicoot. As you say, a class of its own.

George K.

Woffls said:
I generally think of the early levels when I think of the game, I suppose when I think about later levels there was some heavy platforming. But I'm still reluctant to call the game a platformer, because it wasn't really. Especially when you compare it to the likes of Mario or even Crash Bandicoot. As you say, a class of its own.

I personally reckon there was more of an emphasis on exploration and puzzle solving than precision jumping. Others will disagree, I'm sure. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, natch.

I don't know... this demo has kinda pushed the game into the "when it's super low priced used" category.

It's really cool with a lot of character.

But the actual missions are just meh.

Surfheart

I had some platforming fun in the demo scaling LOG's tower. No doubt there will be more of that to be had in the full game.

One thing i noticed was some pretty chronic slowdown in Banjoland. Anywhere near water plus over the back near the igloo. Any idea if the demo will be representative of the final game with this?

But later...
Protect Clanker's eyes challenge is at controller breaking frustration level for me. Anyone got any advice for this?
If they are going to stick vehicles in the game they could at least make them enjoyable to control. This game is a fucking mess, ugh so frustrated.

Dabanton said:

Cheating the Barrier

wow he was doing everything I was doing, cept he found the right spot..

dejay

Banned
Surfheart said:
I had some platforming fun in the demo scaling LOG's tower. No doubt there will be more of that to be had in the full game.

One thing i noticed was some pretty chronic slowdown in Banjoland. Anywhere near water plus over the back near the igloo. Any idea if the demo will be representative of the final game with this?

But later...
Protect Clanker's eyes challenge is at controller breaking frustration level for me. Anyone got any advice for this?
If they are going to stick vehicles in the game they could at least make them enjoyable to control. This game is a fucking mess, ugh so frustrated.

Make a vehicle that's stable (a little bit wide). Add a torpedo launcher and an egg launcher on it. Took me two attempts once I made a suitable vehicle.

It needs repeating - the default vehicles aren't as good as the ones you can make yourself.

(edit) I wouldn't call the slowdown I witnessed as "chronic".

Surfheart

dejay said:
Make a vehicle that's stable (a little bit wide). Add a torpedo launcher and an egg launcher on it. Took me two attempts once I made a suitable vehicle.

It needs repeating - the default vehicles aren't as good as the ones you can make yourself.

(edit) I wouldn't call the slowdown I witnessed as "chronic".

I've tried using the "Y" shaped blueprint with the Egg launcher, but I just keep slipping off Clanker's smooth, curved head and/or getting stuck on his eyes or random objects.

As Amirox pointed out earlier, the trial and error based construction is just bad design in my opinion unfun for me. I fail some frustrating challenge, then have to go into the tedious process of sticking bits and pieces onto a vehicle in the hope that it may turn the failure or success of the challenge from one that's beyond my control due to game design to one that lies with player skill.

Nuts and bolts never feels like it's a game of player skill.

wow (beign outside the demo barrier) I ran into a polar bear that is running a gym, he says if I collect enough notes I can work out there and Earn more ability's then my system tells me the disc is unreadable... in a demo...

so those of you that complains about banjo's jump and all that, it seems that we may still get the old moves after all

Salmonax

Surfheart said:
I've tried using the "Y" shaped blueprint with the Egg launcher, but I just keep slipping off Clanker's smooth, curved head and/or getting stuck on his eyes or random objects.
Since I really don't have any interest in customizing vehicles, I used Humba's stock tank design and got the jiggy on my second try using the included egg gun. The sequence will not end until you kill a certain number of the bad guys, so just keeping them off the eyes isn't enough.

VALIS

PseudoKirby said:
wow (beign outside the demo barrier) I ran into a polar bear that is running a gym, he says if I collect enough notes I can work out there and Earn more ability's then my system tells me the disc is unreadable... in a demo...

so those of you that complains about banjo's jump and all that, it seems that we may still get the old moves after all

The disk error is likely because it's looking to load from the disc and not finding one, and yes, ther gym in the game will give Banjo more moves! :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Salmonax said:
Since I really don't have any interest in customizing vehicles, I used Humba's stock tank design and got the jiggy on my second try using the included egg gun. The sequence will not end until you kill a certain number of the bad guys, so just keeping them off the eyes isn't enough.
I strongly encourage you to try the vehicle customization. It is the lifeblood of the game.

Surfheart

Salmonax said:

I finally did it. Zero satisfaction. Challenge mechanics in and of themselves were frustrating. It was a "thank fucking god I've done it, I never want to experience that again" type feeling.

Now for some checkpoint races! Can't wait.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The challenges are undoubtedly the weakest aspect of the demo (game?). Everything works so well outside of it, and the possibilites for amazing ideas and implementation seem endless, and then all of a sudden you're doing uninspired monotonous tasks.

I feel that in the final game, when we're given most customization options, the challenges will make more sense. It's not so much about the task at hand then it is about the way you go about achieveing it.

...if that makes sense.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Played some King of the hill gametype in multi. Was insanely fun, The hill is constantly just sliding around the level and it occasionally gets faster. Interesting take on King of the hill unless another game has had a moving hill (Not teleporting hill but moving around the level)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So my friend and I are fooling around in the "Test" area of MP, just running around in a large map... with no vehicles? We can't use our vehicles when fooling around in the Test area?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
George K. said:
I personally reckon there was more of an emphasis on exploration and puzzle solving than precision jumping. Others will disagree, I'm sure. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, natch.
Rusty Bucket Bay likes to have a word with you.

George K.

Yoshi said:
Rusty Bucket Bay likes to have a word with you.

I knew I shouldn't have made that post… ;)

Hey you're totally right, I'm not saying precision jumping or exact navigation is absent from Banjo Classic, far from it, just that there was far more to the game than that and to shrug off the exploration and puzzle solving aspects doesn't allow for a full appreciation of the game.

But hey, there was a whole load of collecting, too. It was a big game!

Darkman M

I didn't really get into the gameplay mechanics of the demo(just wanted to see how it looked) but i must be missing something because this is definitely not the best looking 360 game graphically, not even close like some of you are saying.

The game itself might be awesome though but graphically im not amazed or impressed by it Fable II is graphically superior imo and people don't think that game looks great.

Ramenman

Speaking of Gears Of Banjo, we don't need any photoshops, I just saw Grunty panting Banjo with his head going off and big fat red blood going out off it :lol :lol

Surfheart said:

As Amirox pointed out earlier, the trial and error based construction is just bad design in my opinion unfun for me. I fail some frustrating challenge, then have to go into the tedious process of sticking bits and pieces onto a vehicle in the hope that it may turn the failure or success of the challenge from one that's beyond my control due to game design to one that lies with player skill.

Nuts and bolts never feels like it's a game of player skill.

I'll say it again because I spent a whole afternoon trying to actually DEFEND the eyes : the instructions for this challenge suck, you actually have to kill a set number of gruntbots to win.

Woffls

The clanker mission is just retarded. I've tried it about half a dozen times. I think i'm going to build a Y shaped vehicle and put a egg cannon or punching arm in the middle so i can trap the balls then damage them. That mission is broken though.

On a positive note, the following things about this game are amazing.
Character design
Humour
Art direction
Graphics
Sound/Music (not Banjo's voice ¬_¬ which sucks)
Level design
Vehicle building

Darkman M said:
I didn't really get into the gameplay mechanics of the demo(just wanted to see how it looked) but i must be missing something because this is definitely not the best looking 360 game graphically, not even close like some of you are saying.
You talking about art style? Because on a technical level it's definitely one of the most impressive games I've seen this gen.

EagleEyes

Psychotext said:
You talking about art style? Because on a technical level it's definitely one of the most impressive games I've seen this gen.
I definitely second this. Banjo easily has the best graphics this gen so far from a technical stand point.

Dabanton

Psychotext said:

Yep everything is solid, i don't see any Jaggies at all, a big achievement in these days of sub HD resolutions, no noticeable slowdown and very quick loading times.

Top Bottom