• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts - Demo on XBLM Now

JSnake said:
Just to let you guys know, I'll be making the official thread for this game. :)

Question: Are the official threads allowed only one week before the game comes out, or two weeks before? I can't remember.
From last page.

[Edit - Technically the page before last now! :lol ]

Brashnir

EricDiesel said:
25hzt5v.jpg

I call it Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts of War

Metal Bear Solid 4.

Ding

2 Minutes Turkish said:
The only thing I couldn't work out was how I get to drive around the vehicle that I built.
I believe the skull-headed fella mentions at some point that you can only use the shopping cart in town, and that other vehicles are only usable in the various "game worlds". (In the demo, you can open up a single game world by going up and getting a game globe thingie from the LOG.)

Once you are in this other world, you can change vehicles whenever you want. Well, almost whenever. There's at least one "event" that requires that you use a particular, pre-made vehicle.

Oh, and of course you can test your vehicle right inside the shop. (At the awesomely fast-loading test facility.)

Firestorm said:
wtf. I just started up the game and the first message I see is in Comic Sans. It felt like a Flash game.

It's not Comic Sans.

Anyways, I realized something about the game.

Unlike Galaxy which instead went for a more linear approach, this game takes the "Open World" idea of Mario 64 and expands it to its logical extreme.

Firestorm

PataHikari said:
It's not Comic Sans.

Anyways, I realized something about the game.

Unlike Galaxy which instead went for a more linear approach, this game takes the "Open World" idea of Mario 64 and expands it to its logical extreme.
The in game stuff isn't, but that seizures etc. warning sure as hell looked like it.

Meh, doesn't feel like Banjo in the gameplay department. However, the music and dialog are top-notch. The music feels 100% like a Banjo game and again, outstanding dialog and humour. The square nose and fan outrage quote was amazing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Firestorm said:
The in game stuff isn't, but that seizures etc. warning sure as hell looked like it.

Meh, doesn't feel like Banjo in the gameplay department. However, the music and dialog are top-notch. The music feels 100% like a Banjo game and again, outstanding dialog and humour. The square nose and fan outrage quote was amazing.
Correct, it doesn't play like Banjo.

It's an entirely different beast and a damn fun one in my opinion. I like the feeling of playing something unique, it doesn't happen too often.

eso76

Heh, first time i played the demo i loved the graphics, character design (love banjo's new look, all characters are awesomely designed and animated and feature hilarious facial expressions) the mighty orchestrated soundtrack and the humour.
Rare definately still has some magic.
Too bad i found the game unfunny and the mnigames pretty much unplayable.
At some point i too, as someone who hates platforms, thought i would probably have picked it up if it was a more traditional platform, i really loved everything about the game, except the gameplay itself.

THEN i went back to the demo and tried to mess with vehicles construction. Damn, that thing is FUN. It's like playing with Lego, and seeing your vehicles weight, balance etc being translated in the game was mad. Hmm...

The challenges aren't even close to being "unplayable." I don't see why using the vehicle editor, the game's main selling point, is such a revelation to most people. If you stick with the blueprints you're given you WON'T have fun.

Did some multiplayer tonight. The games were kinda fun, but the best part of the whole thing is getting a party together and just dicking around together on the test track, making crazy vehicles and showing your stuff off.

Surfheart

Beautiful looking game, I feel really dissapointed that it was wasted(for me) in the direction they took.

I don't want to be a "vehicle" I want to be Banjo. I kept wanting to get out of the vehicle and explore on foot, but with the world size and design geared towards the vehicles it just wasn't particularly exciting.

I see some notes I want to grab on top of something, so I jump out of the vehicle, ugh realise I can't get up there from where I am, so I have to jump back into the vehicle and deal with it's macro level control and drive around looking for another way to get up there.

Just not fun or enjoyable to drive. Not because of bad handling it's just that vehicles have been done in a hundred other games while there are very very very few character platformers this gen.

My girlfriend was pretty stoked when I told her I had he new Banjo demo. She's not a gamer at all but she played Banjo all the way through on the 64. Nuts and bolts bored her in about 5 minutes. Pretty telling IMO.

I really came into this open minded, because I thought it looked good from some of the trailers, but it simply lacked fun for me.

Not for me I guess.

acm2000

tried out the demo, beautiful game, rare show they are masters of texture work yet again, sheer amount, detail, and variety of texturing is incredible, and the colours are so vivid and eye meltingly bright they make mario galaxy look bland, but, the games just not for me, i dont like platformers, i dont have the patience to build vehicles.

I do wish that Banjo would run a little faster, there are times when you just want to explore the world on foot, but he seems to get along at such a languid pace you end holding Y to spawn a vehicle to get around a little quicker. (Although I only find I want to walk around in Showdown Town, when I have planes/copters available I'll always choose that option)

Made some fun vehicles yesterday, helicopters are great fun, as is the seat + 2 springs. I tried to see how far I could get around the test track by not technically landing.

p3tran

Banned
sionyboy said:
I do wish that Banjo would run a little faster, there are times when you just want to explore the world on foot, but ..
I think there is a 'gym' where you can go and workout and become bigger-better-more badass etc
haven't found it yet (maybe not in the demo?) but I read about it on the loading screen tips.

p3tran said:
I think there is a 'gym' where you can go and workout and become bigger-better-more badass etc
haven't found it yet (maybe not in the demo?) but I read about it on the loading screen tips.

Shit, completely forgot about the gym. I've read that several times on the loading screens as well.

I retract my previous comments and will go back to building my spring-launched helicopter :)

edit: Dang, dunno how many hours I've put into the demo but I've just exited the garage and its night-time.... I thought there was only a daytime/sunset cycle. Shame there aren't streetlights and neon signs lighting up this part of Showdown Town.

Surfheart said:
She's not a gamer at all but she played Banjo all the way through on the 64. Nuts and bolts bored her in about 5 minutes. Pretty telling IMO.

I really came into this open minded, because I thought it looked good from some of the trailers, but it simply lacked fun for me.

Not for me I guess.

Pretty telling indeed. I never got into any of the previous Banjo-Kazooie games, but I had a lot of fun in the 40-something minutes that I spent in the demo. I like how they poke fun at the Banjo's ugly square nose. Admittedly I'm not usually a fan of Rare's designs, but there's something very cohesive about this one.

Think I'll get it at Christmas..

Chinner

Banned
One small thing that annoyed me is the that vehicles seem to suffer from "PGR3 syndrome". I was in a race and if I ever so lightly tapped another vehicle mine would do go off in a random angle.

OK, one little thing that is annoying me; whenever I build myself a spring-launched vehicle it will not escape water, its like the surface is acting like a glass ceiling. I'm trying this in the test track, and even in shallow water that just submerges my vehicle the springs launch and I just seem to 'bounce' off the surface.

George K? :)

George K.

sionyboy said:
OK, one little thing that is annoying me; whenever I build myself a spring-launched vehicle it will not escape water, its like the surface is acting like a glass ceiling. I'm trying this in the test track, and even in shallow water that just submerges my vehicle the springs launch and I just seem to 'bounce' off the surface.

George K? :)

Hmm… I'll put this on my to-do list when I get back to work on Monday.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I had a ton of fun with the demo, and I only got to play like 15 minutes. The world is gorgeous. As a former Nintendo fanboy, I couldn't help but smile and dream of the day Nintendo goes HD.

Yeah, I wish they'd gone for a straight up 3d platformer, but this is fresh and new, and I imagine the folks at Rare can use this graphics engine to build a platformer. I really hope they do, or it'll be a huge wasted opportunity.

I'd prefer a new game, but even a platformer level pack dlc would be good enough for me.

Played the demo last night. I've been closer to a Banjo hater than a fan, as I didn't care for the N64 version. This game is nice. Good graphics and cool concept on the vehicle design. I could see myself enjoying this one.

PSGames

VanMardigan said:
I'd prefer a new game, but even a platformer level pack dlc would be good enough for me.

That really is a fantastic idea. I'd pay 20 bucks for it at that seeing as I'm only paying 40 for Nuts and Bolts. It's a win-win for everyone.

Kuroyume

Banned
How far can you get there? I know there's a cord or pipe you can climb on the back but I can only get so far on there. The pipe breaks off and there's electricity shooting out of it.

painey

I tried to get into the demo but forcing me to go through boring, unvoiced, unskippable storyline is no fun so i deleted it and played the much better Mirrors Edge demo which is put together much better.

JSnake

Kuroyume said:
How far can you get there? I know there's a cord or pipe you can climb on the back but I can only get so far on there. The pipe breaks off and there's electricity shooting out of it.

Go to your left.

painey said:
I tried to get into the demo but forcing me to go through boring, unvoiced, unskippable storyline is no fun so i deleted it and played the much better Mirrors Edge demo which is put together much better.

That annoyed me so much. And Mirror's Edge isn't much better in that regard.

painey

TheGreatDave said:
That annoyed me so much. And Mirror's Edge isn't much better in that regard.

In Mirrors Edge I skipped all the main scenes including the intro, and it even gives you a start menu option to skip training.

ecierif

The ME demo is worse. If you play the tutorial you're forced through unskippable scenes every time you mess up.
It's trying to help you though. And considering the game's somewhat unorthodox nature and controls, it's fairly helpful.

Has anyone tried multiplayer in this demo?

Dabanton said:
My plane. I attached a spring to the bottom for easier takeoffs.:lol

I've made a few planes like that, the last one had 2 small engines, 1 medium, two propellors at the front and then I stuck 4 springs on the underneath for a 'harrier style' vertical take-off. Then I stuck some flaoters on for sea-landing and submarine goodness.

I'd love to see the vehicles people make when they have all the items available in the garage, I'm impressed by the depth of variety in the demo, the fact there are a shitload more boxes to find only makes me more curious what is possible.

painey said:
Y button skips pretty much everything in this game. There is maybe 15 seconds total of unskipable dialog in the demo. You people just don't want to like this game.

madara

Surfheart said:
Beautiful looking game, I feel really dissapointed that it was wasted(for me) in the direction they took.

I don't want to be a "vehicle" I want to be Banjo. I kept wanting to get out of the vehicle and explore on foot, but with the world size and design geared towards the vehicles it just wasn't particularly exciting.

I see some notes I want to grab on top of something, so I jump out of the vehicle, ugh realise I can't get up there from where I am, so I have to jump back into the vehicle and deal with it's macro level control and drive around looking for another way to get up there.

Just not fun or enjoyable to drive. Not because of bad handling it's just that vehicles have been done in a hundred other games while there are very very very few character platformers this gen.

Exactly what I've been saying since the photos leaked. It would have been more daring to find a way to keep the native abilities and natural move & settings instead of "360"ing this game. I'll keep the preorder so far for the original at very least but man in a time when platforming genre could use a Banjo we get this.

qirex99

Banned
The hate in this thread is amazing.

great looking game that's sure to add more diversity to the undiversified 360 line.

Actually, as it stands the 360 has a lot of diversity now. Bravo!

Top Bottom