• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts - Demo on XBLM Now

Costanza said:
You're a professional cartoonist, BB?

I am proud to have been paid scale for my single page gag strip in an issue of Boom! Studios' Planetary Brigade Origins.

(Oh wait, and I was a paid webcartoonist too, once upon a time.)

(Also, if Rare wants an LOG weekly comic, I'm game.)

;D

Nicktals

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Actually, in all seriousness, as a professional cartoonist I have to take a bit of umbrage when it comes to character design. I wasn't kidding with my avatar. I truly believe that the Lord of Games is one of the most ingeniously designed characters, visually, in the history of gaming.

Yeah, that has always been rare's strong suit.

o_o

Googly eyes!

I agree though, I prefer the look of BK:NaB to that of LBP. I like both, but I love the style of BK:NaB.

Nicktals said:
Yeah, that has always been rare's strong suit.

o_o

Googly eyes!

It's Pong, man! How brilliant is that? And not only is it brilliant conceptually, the way it emotes in motion is just so phenomenal. I honestly have not been so enrapt with a cartoon character since, like, I don't know, Wall-E?

Chrange

Banned
Majora said:
You're right, it is possible on the races. I seriously doubt it on the football game though. Even using the easy method (putting the football in the shopping trolley and driving over the line) you don't get close to the number needed for the T.T trophy.

The easiest method is to make a launcher that uses springs to fire balls over the goal line from pretty much where you start.

legend166 said:
my name is andy :(

FUCK YOU! :D

Martinus

funkmastergeneral said:
Anyone else with an SDTV finding it impossible to read the text?

I do too, I'm thinking about cancelling my reservation, I got such a headache playing the game.

It's making me furious to see that developers are too lazy to adapt the resolution to sdtv too.

MMaRsu

Banned
Martinus said:
I do too, I'm thinking about cancelling my reservation, I got such a headache playing the game.

It's making me furious to see that developers are too lazy to adapt the resolution to sdtv too.

Have you read the thread? The community manager george who posts here will bring this back to the team.

Nicktals

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
This what I'm saying. I know I'm Mr. Hyperbole. I accept that. But in all seriousness, the Lord Of Games is a fantastic achievement in character design.

Yeah, he's definitely an awesome (and very cool looking) character.

I also loved the cat (what was the name?) No doubt Rare has some very talented and gifted writers.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
not sure i'm feeling this...

+ the graphics. OMG are they incredible
+ the music. loads of personality and after an hour plus in banjo land, i never grew tired of it
+ the tinkering on vehicles. genius. super cool.
+ the scale of the levels.
+ controls are spot on both on foot and in vehicles (unless the vehicle is poorly made...)

BUT...

- the games main elements, the jiggy quests, are utter shit. stupid fucking frustrating mini-games and garbage races. not very fun at all.
- the scale of the levels is so large that i feel completely overwhelmed in them. it doesnt help that with a quick made vehicle you can basically get anywhere in them in just a few minutes.

Prine

Banned
Yeah, i urge everyone to explore Showdown Town and get as many parts as they can. Then go in and make your own contraptions. So much fun

[Nintex]

I've found these new parts so far(3 boxes in total I think):
-2 propellers
-4 Springs
-8 Floaters
-Repair Bot Mumbo Thing

Did I miss anything?

op_ivy

[Nintex] said:
I've found these new parts so far(3 boxes in total I think):
-2 propellers
-4 Springs
-8 Floaters
-Repair Bot Mumbo Thing

Did I miss anything?

you can find wings and buy mirrors and spoilers :)

[Nintex]

BigAT said:
Is it just me or is the conversation text damn near impossible to read? Good god, I have 20/20 vision and even I can't decipher it unless I'm like 3 ft. from my TV.

Also, did anyone notice that sometimes the loading music is the AWESOME pause music from Battletoads?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhl9pJB-2Ak
I noticed this too, I actually thought I was insane because one of my friends didn't hear it.:lol

Linkhero1

If I were the one to reserve it and not my brother I'd have canceled my reservation by now. :(

Once I saw the text in the demo I turned off my 360 right away. Opened it an hour later and skipped all the text. Game is ok. I'm not digging the vehicles, but maybe if I spend more time with it I might like it. It looks beautiful and the music is awesome. Collecting stuff not so much.

If changes are made, at least to the text, I may play through it.

Wow. Didn't know mentioning anything about the price being 39.99 would lead to some down right scary responses from some posters. I read some of these responses and can only imagine the people typing them must be frothing at the mouth from a rabis outbreak because they are so damn furious. Even mentioning the fact that the game is at a budget price is seen as committing sacrilege. Nothing like spending some time in a thread like this to remind you why GAF has the sub-mental reputation it does.

All I was saying is there's a reason this game is 39.99. If you disagree with the fact that it may be because the game consists of only trial races and mini-games (as shown in the freakin demo), all you have to do is say so. Like in an adult discussion.

Besides, when did this place become so damn vitriolic?

CartridgeBlower said:
There's a reason this game is 39.99. If you disagree with the fact that it may be because it's just a lot of time trial races and mini-games (as shown in the freakin demo!), then all you have to do is say so. You know, like an adult discussion...
Fair enough... or could it possibly be because the notoriously hardcore 360 fanbase doesn't buy into Rare games so they need to do "something"? You see, it's full price over here in Europe so it's pretty clear they're not making out it's a budget game. Of course... I have an inkling of how it's going to sell in Europe too - but I don't think price would make a difference.

Besides all that of course... how many budget games look as polished as this does?

That's a valid reason (and thank you for a normal response).

The reasoning for the price could also be a way to revitalize the franchise, attract a more casual crowd, or to match more in line with a younger demographic. There are certainly lots of possibilities. I was just posting one I thought may also hold water because the demo didn't thrill me with it's content. So I was just curious if other's thought there might be a match between that and it's price. No secret agenda.

And by 'budget' title I didn't mean like a Carnival Games. Just meant it's substantially cheaper than the average game this generation. Clear that up before the next "Budget title?! Idiot! Do you even know what a budget title is?! LOOL!!" response gets posted.

op_ivy

wings (iirc) are behind a column when you are driving around the outside of the moat heading up to see LOG. the rest you can buy from the chick that looks like kameo (including some punching fist thingy as a weapon, better engine and bigger cap. fuel)

George K.

MMaRsu said:
Have you read the thread? The community manager george who posts here will bring this back to the team.

This much is true, but don't take that to mean a fix is guaranteed. I'll raise it for sure, but there might be some kind of intractable situation I don't yet know about. Stay tuned.

The Hermit

CartridgeBlower said:
Wow. Didn't know mentioning anything about the price being 39.99 would lead to some down right scary responses from some posters. I read some of these responses and can only imagine the people typing them must be frothing at the mouth from a rabis outbreak because they are so damn furious. Even mentioning the fact that the game is at a budget price is seen as committing sacrilege. Nothing like spending some time in a thread like this to remind you why GAF has the sub-mental reputation it does.

All I was saying is there's a reason this game is 39.99. If you disagree with the fact that it may be because the game consists of only trial races and mini-games (as shown in the freakin demo), all you have to do is say so. Like in an adult discussion.

Besides, when did this place become so damn vitriolic?

I believe xbox fanboys are just as bad or even worse than Nfans...

Also your question made me think about it too. I don´t believe its only because of the game content though...

Played the Demo, It was ok. I am kind of mad about using vehicle Also is the game going to be like the demo because I don't like doing certain missions to get jiggys, hopefully they make another Banjo game that is like the first 2 Banjo games. I am still getting this one though.

Pachinko

There's always 1 guy in 100 that complains about a lack of SDTV compatibility and seriously, prices are dropping, if you can afford to buy a 360 complete with hard drive and games you can afford to buy a 600 dollar television on credit. It's not hard, and if your family is rich enough to buy you an xbox with all that stuff they likely allready have atleast a 1080i capable television.

On the other hand it can't possibly be that hard to tell a games programming to auto detect the resolution and increase the font size depending on how the game is being run. Dead Rising I"m looking at you(DR was unique because the text was super tiny even ON an hd set)

op_ivy

wanted to add one more "-" to my impressions...

- no voice acting. this is really painful in this day and age. especially in a game with plenty of witty/funny/interesting dialogue

George K. said:
This much is true, but don't take that to mean a fix is guaranteed. I'll raise it for sure, but there might be some kind of intractable situation I don't yet know about. Stay tuned.

That would be great man, the text is ridiculously tiny on my SDTV. It wouldn't be so bad if there was voice acting, but without it I can barely tell whats going on.

Pachinko said:
There's always 1 guy in 100 that complains about a lack of SDTV compatibility and seriously, prices are dropping, if you can afford to buy a 360 complete with hard drive and games you can afford to buy a 600 dollar television on credit. It's not hard, and if your family is rich enough to buy you an xbox with all that stuff they likely allready have atleast a 1080i capable television.

On the other hand it can't possibly be that hard to tell a games programming to auto detect the resolution and increase the font size depending on how the game is being run. Dead Rising I"m looking at you(DR was unique because the text was super tiny even ON an hd set)

Sorry for being a poor college student? I can't throw away 600 dollars just to make the text of a video game look better.

Rlan

Pachinko said:

I would say the text is far too small for a HDTV as well.

Rlan said:
I would say the text is far too small for a HDTV as well.
I wouldn't say far too small... but it could certainly do with being a little larger. There's quite a bit of screen they could still work with without affecting what's being displayed too much.

Based on a lot of people's comments it wouldn't harm to have a text speed slider either. I know that there's no way my missus could read the text in the short time it's displayed (I usually have to notch it down for her in games).

Ding

Okay, I played the demo for a couple hours yesterday. I really, really liked it. Here's a few rants and raves:

Rants
The text. I sit about 9 feet away from a 58" display, and I still found myself having to concentrate on reading-as-fast-as-I-could in order to absorb all the dialog. The (dialog) text is definitely a little too small, even on an HDTV. (The text in, say, the vehicle editor is fine.) It's also too close (IMO) to the bottom of the screen. It's well below where most sub-titles are positioned. Worse, some (not all) of the text goes by too quickly. I think all the dialog should have those 'Press A to continue" prompts, although perhaps that won't always be possible. If a character is playing out a little skit, I can see why you wouldn't want to pause them in mid-scene. But most of the time, just pause the dang text. Please.

All the in-jokes are lost on me, since I never played any of the earlier games. But that's my problem, not Rare's. In-jokes are cool in theory. (That wasn't much of a rant. Frankly, I really only had that one...)

Raves
The graphics. Lovely looking, and the performance seemed great. I didn't see any slow down in the water. Maybe I need to find a bigger chunk of water. I only swam in LOG's moat. The art style is a bit wacky, and really busy, but still nice.

The physics. I have no freaking idea what people are complaining about with respect to the controls and vehicle handling. Stuff handled precisely how I expected it to. Cartoon-realistic. It just felt right. Yes, the shopping cart handled like a... shopping cart. It was still perfectly controllable though. It was easy to drive anywhere in town, and the only race I tried (that "Land, Sea but not Air" one) was laughably easy, even in a vehicle shaped like an giant inflatable sea serpent. (Was there another race in there somewhere? Oh yeah, there was that one where you had to drive up onto the wall at one point. It too was super easy.)

The air vehicles were even more awesome, even with the crap parts available in the demo. The helicopter "flight model" is great. Very intuitive and controllable. Of course, this is coming from a guy that probably spent 100 hours flying choppers in "Desert Combat". (An PC mod for Battlefield: 1942.) I can hardly wait to build myself a cartoon Apache. Winged vehicles were also cool. I love that your wheels retract when you get airborne.

The editor. Very nice. Ridiculously easy to use. The only thing that doesn't feel completely comfortable at this point is the use-triggers-to-change-level function. I always hit the wrong trigger. Still, it seems like a good mapping. I just need to commit it to muscle memory. The only confusion I recall having was when I was done editing and wanted to get back out to the "shop menu". The way I ended up doing it was to hit B to get into the parts-store mode, and then hit B again to exit all the way out. This was non-intuitive. Is there a more direct way?

Random thoughts
The only challenge that I tried but didn't easily "beat" was the eyeball one. No problem, I just need to build a better vehicle, or just develop some skillz. I wonder if this would work:

Build a vehicle with a big honking box on the front. A fort, basically. Position the box so it surrounds one of the eyes. Hop out and go defend the other eye on foot. Extra points if you make it so the "fort" can be detached from the vehicle. (Leaving you in some sort of tank-like chassis.) Even more extra points if the fort section is itself armed, and those weapons can be fired remotely.

That's probably too complicated for its own good. But it's still fun to think about....

Prine

Banned
The game oozes presentation at every level. The engines even have their own animation, i love the attention to detail (classic Rare).

"Banjo Smells" made me LOL

Rlan

The main problem with the text is that it doesn't appear to have any scrolldown effect like the original Banjo games did. Right now the talk dialog box has around 3 lines available for any talking.

If you're going to take up three lines of dialog, you're talking far too much.

An example:

banjo-kazooie-nuts-bolts-20080708033218203.jpg

Compared to Banjo XBLA:

bktext.jpg

This game is such a dilemma for me. I love all the touches to it and think it's awesome. The only problem I have is the actual "game". I can't control the vehicles and only beat Clanker's eye challenge on luck. I am curious how the game will end though. Will Kazooie get her moves back for Banjo-Threeie? :p

VGChampion said:
This game is such a dilemma for me. I love all the touches to it and think it's awesome. The only problem I have is the actual "game". I can't control the vehicles and only beat Clanker's eye challenge on luck. I am curious how the game will end though. Will Kazooie get her moves back for Banjo-Threeie? :p
I hope, I also want them to change how we get jiggys, I like how we used to get jiggys by finding them randomly.

Struct09

I finally got around to playing the demo.

Loved the music, loved the visuals, and I loved the humor...but I'm not sold on the gameplay yet. I'm a big fan of the first two Banjo games, but I'm going to wait to see reviews and impressions for this one.

Finally got to play this last night.

Awesome. I haven't even done a challenge yet. Too busy soaking the world in. Only been using the vehicle to get around quicker. Graphics are fucking phenomenal.

Rare are truly masters. The water is amazing, and it's the first time in a long time I haven't seen jaggies in a game. Amazing.

The only thing I couldn't work out was how I get to drive around the vehicle that I built.

I left LBP to give the game a try. I already have it reserved at Amazon for $37 so the demo really wasn't going to sway me, just give me a preview. I think the game looks amazing--probably the best looking game ever IMO. I'm totally cool with the direction Rare took with the game even though I was hoping for a straight platformer. What I didn't find cool was the Clanker eye challenge. Hard as fuck. I just ended up ditching the vehicle altogether and just beating the baddies down by hand...er wrench. There was just no way I could do it with the provided vehicle and it seemed like every couple of hits a piece would fall off or I'd run over something and get kind of stuck. I'm assuming I should have used the vehicle because that's what the game gave me, but I just couldn't do it. I think the game has potential and I can see how its going to progress and potentially get better. I'm not going to cancel my preorder because I would have bought BK on XBLA anyway, so its basically a $21 dollar game.

I loved seeing all the Grabbed by the Ghoulies boxes in the trash and covered by dirt in the tray. Good sense of humor Rare (...I actually liked Grabbed though...).

So I heard there's police in this game? I've been keeping away from info because I want to go in fresh pretty much. Anyone get a fast enough vehicle to see them yet? Annoying? Or am I completely wrong and there are no police.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Anyone else try the multiplayer yet? I didnt even know the demo had multi and its a blast. Was playing some water level and we were all in pirate ships fighting each other, Could also use your own built vehicles if you wanted. it was suprisingly fun.

Top Bottom