• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bannon told German envoy he views EU as flawed construct, wants per nation relations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almighty

Strong nationalist movements is what led to tens of millions dead and a war ravaged Europe. Not once, but twice. The idea that Europe should go back to that is the height of stupidity.

While the economic costs are undoubtedly to high to sanction the US it would be quite interesting to see how fast corporate america would kick Trump out of the white house when they can't sell in europe.

In theory if I were in state that wasn't a complete and utter piece of shit like Missouri and even shittier backwoods area that would absolutely be fucked up by this, I would be interested in it.

Wouldn't US veto that anyway?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man that wants the world to burn talks smack about a system put in place to prevent the world from burning.

Water is wet.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to see EU nations stand in solidarity and refuse to negotiate bilateral trade deals with the US.
Well you will get your wish, because this is simply not possible for EU members.

Imagine how this would work in reality. Single countries would basically be selling access to the single market. They would have to get thrown out of the union, because it's impossible.

I don't know. I consider the EU sort of a German fourth reich because it has dominated almost all spheres of influence. The EU expanded far too quick, and incorporated too many countries who do not have the same economic or social policies. Think of Greece and Spain and Portugal. A few months back there was talk of Germany wanting to sanction Spain and Portugal for not doing enough to decrease deficits.

An economic union makes sense if everyone shares the same mentality. Sure you can bring in different nations. One of the reason Germany wanted more Eastern European or Balkan countries was to get cheaper migrants and workforce to compete with the US/Mexico and China and India. Free movement both had benefits and disadvantages. Look how much the Brits hate the influx of Poles, how much French and Italian farmers hate how their industries have been affected by cheaper agriculture from elsewhere. Greece still hasn't recovered and it is struggling because as an EU nation, refugees and migrants think if they reach Greece they can get to Berlin and Paris and London easily. Without the UK though, and incressing fragmentation, we might see the decline of this super state back into a sensible union, with a more unified economic and possibly even military union.

As for OP, wtf is Bannon even doing meeting with these groups. Even worse is how the US is alienating their closest allies to cozy up to Russia.
You might want to check up how the EU actually works, because no single country can dictate anything. There are veto possibilities all over the place. If one country doesn't want to do something, there is a good chance they can stop that thing if they really want to. So no, Germany doesn't dominate everything. It does however play a major leading role due to their economic size and impact.

If I was an EU official, I would secretly draft up plans for sanctions against the US right about now. I agree with labeling the US government a hostile nation. and then start with freezing any bank assets of anyone associated with Trump in Europe. Then I would escalate this to tariffs on American goods. Then escalate from there

I would love to see Europe actually do this

But I live in southeast Missouri and good our economy sucks now and if the economy starts to fucking suck, Austerity rears it's ugly head and SSI/Medicaid would get cut :(

If I was an EU official, I would secretly draft up plans for sanctions against the US right about now. I agree with labeling the US government a hostile nation. and then start with freezing any bank assets of anyone associated with Trump in Europe. Then I would escalate this to tariffs on American goods. Then escalate from there

But I live in southeast Missouri and good our economy sucks now and if the economy starts to fucking suck, Austerity rears it's ugly head and SSI/Medicaid would get cut :(

The thing with this is that it would just hurt both sides immensely.

Acorn

No, sanctions are not warranted even without thinking about the enormous self harm it would cause.

Schnozberry

You really want a World War, then?

Moosichu

I don't know. I consider the EU sort of a German fourth reich because it has dominated almost all spheres of influence. The EU expanded far too quick, and incorporated too many countries who do not have the same economic or social policies. Think of Greece and Spain and Portugal. A few months back there was talk of Germany wanting to sanction Spain and Portugal for not doing enough to decrease deficits.

An economic union makes sense if everyone shares the same mentality. Sure you can bring in different nations. One of the reason Germany wanted more Eastern European or Balkan countries was to get cheaper migrants and workforce to compete with the US/Mexico and China and India. Free movement both had benefits and disadvantages. Look how much the Brits hate the influx of Poles, how much French and Italian farmers hate how their industries have been affected by cheaper agriculture from elsewhere. Greece still hasn't recovered and it is struggling because as an EU nation, refugees and migrants think if they reach Greece they can get to Berlin and Paris and London easily. Without the UK though, and incressing fragmentation, we might see the decline of this super state back into a sensible union, with a more unified economic and possibly even military union.

As for OP, wtf is Bannon even doing meeting with these groups. Even worse is how the US is alienating their closest allies to cozy up to Russia.

Germany would have way more pull without the EU system in place to give every country a voice.

Also, the Eastern European expansion was a thing driven by Britain, and has resulted in a lot of good. Britain's problems are a result of politicians here diverting blame to the EU for many things that have nothing to do with it.

It's pretty clear at the moment that the US is a flawed construct.

The defense spending is very misleading. It's not like these Europeans countries will be sending money to the US. Also most of the US spending is going towards Asia and the Middle East right now anyway.

kadotsu

Banned
The EU being attacked by the second most hated administration (Putin being first) is a great way to strengthen the EU. If the polls are correct, Germany is already moving away from nationalist populism. Maybe we can even get some non austerity governments elected to finally help the PIGS partners in the union.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The EU being attacked by the second most hated administration (Putin being first) is a great way to strengthen the EU. If the polls are correct, Germany is already moving away from nationalist populism. Maybe we can even get some non austerity governments elected to finally help the PIGS partners in the union.
Please don't use that term.

What the fuck am I reading?

Micael

That would be a pretty terrible idea in my opinion, the EU and the US are each other biggest trading partners by far, and they are the 2 largest economies in the world by far, a trade dispute between the two would quite potentially cause another economic crisis, which benefits no one, certainly not the EU which is a bit under assault right now, with the brexit, certain countries right wing parties gaining ground (brexit did wonders here though), certain EU countries not having fully recovered from the economic collapse, and more importantly trump presidency hinting at the possibility of lifting their sanctions on Russia, and who the hell knows not helping out on NATO if Putin decides to start a not so proxy war with countries on its border.
In the end the consequences of doing such a thing would almost certainly be way longer lasting than trump presidency, even if we assume trump goes for the 2 terms.

Besides having neo nazis talking shit about the EU is not something unfamiliar to the EU, we have the best neo nazis, they even use fake science.

Joni

Sanctions won't work, but it is the time for the European Union to strike and create trade deals with the major nations put off by the United States like they want to achieve with Mexico. Europe should brand itself as the only major reliable partner. It will be a lot more effective as a trade war.

Dingens

What exactly would the EU do to the US? Sanctions????

well... for a start just do the same things they do to EU citizens in the US... harass them at the airport.
There are lots of "soft" sanctions one could apply. Maybe apply some sort of eu-wide regulation that hits US companies extra hard, or apply Work-to-rule... the possibilities are endless!

well... for a start just do the same things they do to EU citizens in the US... harass them at the airport.
There are lots of "soft" sanctions one could apply. Maybe apply some sort of eu-wide regulation that hits US companies extra hard, or apply Work-to-rule... the possibilities are endless!

We shouldn't do that. With Trump going insane and generally speaking security measures in the US being crazy, Europe should position itself as a rational actor that won't do stupid stuff like harassing people at airports. Promoting cooperation, human rights, freedom etc. is the only way to make Europe and the world a better place.

The EU will stand up to Trump and Bannon. As flawed as it is in some respects, the EU is an immensely ideological brotherhood and I would expect that opposition from the Trumps of the world will only galvanise the will of the 27 to stick together.

Dingens

We shouldn't do that. With Trump going insane and generally speaking security measures in the US being crazy, Europe should position itself as a rational actor that won't do stupid stuff like harassing people at airports. Promoting cooperation, human rights, freedom etc. is the only way to make Europe and the world a better place.

never said we should, just that this would be a possible option without immediate economic repercussions.

Of course they want "per nation" relations. The US is bigger than any one nation in the EU so would be the dominant negotiator. The EU Nations together levels the playing field, it's one of the reasons the damn thing exists!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom