• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: AA/AC Steam Patch Live. Mac Version, Achievements, and GFWL/Securom removal

So no more limitations on installs as of right now? I've been waiting for this update to go live to reinstall both games.

Now we just need Dark Souls and GTA 4 to remove GFWL and I will be happy.

Storm360

So no more limitations on installs as of right now? I've been waiting for this update to go live to reinstall both games.

Securom is definitely gone from Asylum, so I assume City is the same, I installed it last night, saw the securom box, got todays update, and went in game with no additional DRM

BasilZero

+1 to this post completely.

SecuROM was the main reason why I didnt want to buy the series - now that it is gone I will be buying both games this holiday.

And yes I hope they remove GFWL on both GTAIV and Dark Souls - and secuROM on GTAIV.

Kabuto

I'm debating if I should uninstall Arkham City vanilla version or not. I think I will since I was going to replay this game anyways before Origins comes out.

Veal

Has there been any word on the Origin version of the games? It would suck if those versions are stuck in purgatory just because they happened to be on the wrong vendor.

Lunaniem

Has there been any word on the Origin version of the games? It would suck if those versions are stuck in purgatory just because they happened to be on the wrong vendor.

You can just redeem the GFWL keys that came with them on Steam.

Grief.exe

This is awesome

ibpPQ2H9DdP6zl.png

Siddiqui

Wow. The game loads up so much faster for me as well now. Previously the game took almost a minute to load even from my SSD and even with intros disabled [40s just to boot, 15 for GFWL sign in]. Now it only takes me about 12 seconds to get to the select save screen.

Ahhhhhhhh huge thumbs down

Texmod no longer works with the GOTY version. I can't use use my Batman Begins or Dark Knight Bat Suits anymore :(

Ce-Lin

so when I bought AC GOTY last year on Steam (75% sale) Steam added to my library the vanilla version + every DLC (it was called simply Batman Arkham City in the library too) which was weird but made it GOTY after all at least in content, for some days now I got "upgraded" to the proper GOTY version and there's still a CD-Key visible for it, so my question is, do I need this CD-Key for anything at all now ? is that a Vanilla CD-Key then ? I don't know anyone else in the same situation.

Grief.exe

Someone on the Reddit thread found this save fix in the Steam forums.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/200260/discussions/0/810938810549705289/

[How to!] Use old GFWL savegame in Steamwork version
Backup C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\200260\remote
Your GFWL savegame have your GFWL username as prefix.
<GFWLusername>-save#.sgd
Delete all files EXCLUDING these files: (remember the folder backup)
profile.bin and <GFWLusername>-save#.sgd
Open with a HEX editor the savefile you want <GFWLusername>-save#.sgd
Lets say Sharkiller-save0.sgd
Image Search Type HEX: 00 00 00 03 00
Image Select all the text BEFORE the searched text
Image And delete.
Save and remove your gfwl usename from the file. "save0.sgd"
Open the game and you have your working savegame there.

Tips
Don't mix patched with unpatched savefiles or the game could crash.
I'm using Hex Workshop but here's a free one:
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/tiny-hexer-Download-35737.html

Another posible locations for the savegames
Arkham City
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\57400\remote
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\200260\remote
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\WB Games\Batman Arkham City\SaveData
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\WB Games\Batman Arkham City GOTY\SaveData

Arkham Asylum
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\35010\remote
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\35140\remote
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Square Enix\Batman Arkham Asylum\SaveData
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Square Enix\Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY\SaveData

Final location of patched savegames
Arkham City
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\200260\remote
Arkham Asylum
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\35140\remote

Fuck sake. I'm the only guy on the planet who is hating this change. All through this gen I've had a really cool rivalry with some mates over gamerscore, these GFWL games allowed me to continue this while playing with awesome graphics on my pc. I'm now not able to do this, steam achievements mean jack shit to me as most of my friends don't use it. Brilliant. Fucking MS, dropped the XBOX like a stone, dropping GFWL like a hot turd, they really are totally unreliable. Watch them drop the 360 within a couple of years.

Gotta say - thanks for all those updates and good news Grief!

Btw, is it just me or some kind of placebo, or does the game run slightly better than before, when it was shackled with that... thing?

Grief.exe

Fuck sake. I'm the only guy on the planet who is hating this change. All through this gen I've had a really cool rivalry with some mates over gamerscore, these GFWL games allowed me to continue this while playing with awesome graphics on my pc. I'm now not able to do this, steam achievements mean jack shit to me as most of my friends don't use it. Brilliant. Fucking MS, dropped the XBOX like a stone, dropping GFWL like a hot turd, they really are totally unreliable. Watch them drop the 360 within a couple of years.

I would argue that the 360 was dropped after Halo 4 was released. Halo fans would argue that it was well before that.

I would like to add my thanks as well. Cheers Grief :)

Gotta say - thanks for all those updates and good news Grief!

Btw, is it just me or some kind of placebo, or does the game run slightly better than before, when it was shackled with that... thing?

Appreciated guys!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

yes, you are the only one.

Nokterian

Man playing AA/AC without GFWL and Securom is a blessing a goddamn blessing runs butter smooth. Why is DX11 still a mess with AC..sigh well DX9 still looks nice though but a shame that they never fixed this.

Hope they put AC and AA up for sale again now that DRM is removed, I already have them for ps3 but I'd love to have it in my steam collection.

Ce-Lin

lol what is this ? somehow I have unlocked every achievement on both games, I must be some sneaky genius while in my sleep. Prior to this I had around 90% of achievements for both games unlocked on GFWL but none of them unlocked on Steam... until now.

Someone needs to upload their saves. I was 40% through AA (in that sewer place with a bunch of Poison Ivy vines/plants) and I would rather start AC than AA all over again. It's a serious problem.

Oh it gets better! The AA patch has wiped my saves, and the guide posted above doesn't seem to work (haven't tried for AC but it has positive feedback, AA however is having issues for a few people).

Fuck this I'm off to bed. Seems like my plan to revisit AA is going to be a lot more long winded than I imagined. Why is everyone so happy to have sacrificed their saves just for the sake of swapping the DRM? It seems crazy to me! Never had any problems with GFWL and could add to my xbox acheivements. Now I can't do that and seemingly will have to start again from scratch, with AA at least. Great. Roll on Origins.

dEvAnGeL

hey, did they fix something on the game with this patch as well? im playing the game again and im not getting those massive frame drops while gliding, is so smooth im scared lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh it gets better! The AA patch has wiped my saves, and the guide posted above doesn't seem to work (haven't tried for AC but it has positive feedback, AA however is having issues for a few people).

Fuck this I'm off to bed. Seems like my plan to revisit AA is going to be a lot more long winded than I imagined. Why is everyone so happy to have sacrificed their saves just for the sake of swapping the DRM? It seems crazy to me! Never had any problems with GFWL and could add to my xbox acheivements. Now I can't do that and seemingly will have to start again from scratch, with AA at least. Great. Roll on Origins.

Because they can play the game without fear of saves disappearing?
Because they can play the game without having to worry about losing functionality even if Steam is down?
Because they can play the game at all as Steamworks doesn't have arbitrary regional restrictions?

Cross-platform gamescore is literally the only objectively good thing about GFWL and I'm sure, given the user experience of GFWL by all accounts heavily skewing towards the negative, the positives here outweigh the bad.

Already had the good dlc, and two entries = ffffffffuuuuuuuu

I, on the other hand, couldn't be more pleased. ;) Now, if only my Asylum vanilla key would activate...

Grief.exe

Why is everyone so happy to have sacrificed their saves just for the sake of swapping the DRM? It seems crazy to me! Never had any problems with GFWL and could add to my xbox achievements.

Its crazy to everyone else that you would think the alternative is better.

At least this way, people actually have access to their games now and into the future, no matter what region they are in.

Because they can play the game without fear of saves disappearing?
Because they can play the game without having to worry about losing functionality even if Steam is down?
Because they can play the game at all as Steamworks doesn't have arbitrary regional restrictions?

Cross-platform gamescore is literally the only objectively good thing about GFWL and I'm sure, given the user experience of GFWL by all accounts heavily skewing towards the negative, the positives here outweigh the bad.

And Mac version

Top Bottom