• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman and Harley Quinn |OT| Timm Animated Film, Digital (8/15) Blu-Ray (8/29)

Just watched this.

Man what is wrong with Bruce Timm? There's like a weird sex reference every two minutes.

Laughed my ass off at the
henchmen bar though

Teggy

Saw this on twitter

Beth Elderkin @BethElderkin
This is what happens when men have creative control.
A butt crack on top of another butt crack.

DHcd7VcV0AEF2BG

Just watched the movie.

It was really just a dumb flick, some parts made me cringe, the ending made me lol, but there was nothing so terrible about it.

I really think some people aren't taking this as the parody its is based on some reviews.
The opening credits, after credits, criminal doing the Batsui,
Booster Gold and Swamp Thing
scenes are clear signs.

Alienous

I really think some people aren't taking this as the parody its is based on some reviews.
scenes are clear signs.

It isn't a parody - it's a comedic take but it isn't parodying anything, excluding the post credits scene I suppose.

Penguin

scenes are clear signs.

Yeah, I think people expected an action movie

But it's more like a comedic road trip with superheroes.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The ending is so bizarre.

It's very abrupt.
You think Swamp Thing is going to come in and save the day and then he just says his piece and bounces. Then it ends on that double kiss.
It's pretty anticlimactic.

Alienous

Its a parody of BTAS imo, it blew so far past any level of humor ever in the DCAU.
The final battle makes it pretty clear as well.

Eh. I don't see what it parodies from BTAS. It doesn't parody the story structure. It doesn't parody the characters. Those are both played straight. It doesn't parody any iconic moments.

It has fun with them, but it isn't a parody. It's just a weak Batman story with weak attempts at humor that happens to use the same art-style and actors (mostly) as BTAS.

kunonabi

Fart jokes and rape should never be a part of anything batman related.

Rape has been part of batman comics for a while now. Id prefer it not be in them either since i still think comics should be for kids but that ship sailed long ago.

Aske

Watching it right now. It's so bad I have to communicate my displeasure with others before it's even finished.

Loved 90% of the other DCAU movies. The worst tended to be boring rather than bad. This is better than BvS, but I hit the fart joke and had the same sinking "this is a bad movie" realisation.

I don't think the fanservice was inappropriate or out of character for Harley. Nothing rapey about Harley and Dick; in fact I think she's quite sexually empowered in this portrayal. But Fluronic Man just put the whammy on Ivy, and I can see that getting creepy.

Yeah. That's rapey. And a totally unnecessary scene. I suppose it contributes to the portrayal of Woodrue as a total dirtbag.

Things I hate most though: the movie doesn't have a consistent tone. Too straight-laced to be Brave and the Bold, but the bottom-of-the-barrel buffoonery (which I do not sanction) undercuts any tension in the plot.

Dialogue is both awfully simplistic, and painfully try-hard. I've never seen a movie push itself to be giffable with such desperation, and I'm less cynical about that kind of thing than most.

I hate it when Batman is portrayed as a petty, arrogant jerk. He's a total tool in this. Feels like an utter waste of Kevin Conroy; the actor specifically famous for delivering the most nuanced portrayal of the character on screen.

I like the voice casting (especially Melissa Rauch), and the fight choreography. Dick vs Harley was solid. Great art direction, but hard to go wrong with the classic Timmverse designs.

Just finished. Ending was horrendous. For reference, I quite enjoyed Suicide Squad; my bar for enjoyment is much lower than most.

...Oh, fun post-credits scene. Made up for the lousy way they wrapped up the main plot. This should have been the whole movie.

In fact, know what would have been great? This movie, with everything but Harley cut out. The scenes she drove worked the best, karaoke moment aside. That would have delivered a fun, tonally consistent, unusual movie, with the wackiness couched in the context of a story told from Harley's POV.

Maybe next time. This was a swing and a miss for me, but the DCAU has delivered so much gold over the years, I just want them to bring on the next one.

Top Bottom