• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City - Fall 2011 - Update: Has Multiplayer

Ermac said:
Guys keep in mind they can still change the title, still plenty of time.

Add me to the list of needing to play the first one. Are there any differences between the PS3 and Xbox versions?

Throw yourself into the game and enjoy.

Arkham Asylum is one of the best-paced games I've played in years. Some say it's on the slightly short side, but I'd rather be left wanting more than feeling the game last an hour or two too long.

It's beautifully paced and offers a challenge while never becoming frustratingly difficult. Rocksteady understood that many people (like me) cared just as much about the story as they did the gameplay experience.

It's a wonderfully polished and moody experience. I just started Assassins Crred 2, but plan to replay Arkham (for the fourth time) once I'm finished.

Saty

hamchan said:
and what were these glaring issues?

Well, non-existant A.I that made the game ridiculously easy, plain combat that often feels clunky (mostly because of the stiff\wooden animations and look) and with no challenge as you pick thugs off with ease eventhough you're outnumbered.
As a superhero that uses stealth and sneaking as primary M.O, what was offered in AA was rubbish. 'Hey, gargoyles', swinging from one to another un-noticed, enemies don't give a damn. Got spotted? 2 swings and they forget and they don't seem to mind their dangling friends.

Boss battles were crappy and recycled throughout. Stun with the Batrang and move out of the way. The 'Hand-holding' was astrocious, if the player takes his time, or fails once in those battles, the game blasts you with help prompts that give away the solution and how to handle the enemy, ffs. What about letting the player spend a time figuring out what needs to be done, experiment? Nope, can't afford that.

denomes

I feel the naming of the game is slightly misguided.

I can understand that they felt the need to tie it to the first game, but I feel they are undermining the importance of "Gotham" city to the Batman mythos. Gotham City is way more widely recognizable as an element of the Batman universe than Arkham Asylum is.

Following the first game, the thing fans clamored for the most was a chance to explore Gotham, Batman in his element: stalking from rooftops, taking down villains in alleyways, etc. If they really HAD to to make the new game recognizable as a sequel to the first, they should have just went with "Gotham Asylum" as people have already suggested in this thread. It's a stronger title, more evocative, and more widely recognizable as Batman-related.

I am currently playing through the first game, and I am enjoying it. The pacing is excellent and it makes me feel like I can't put it down. Although, I agree with Danielsan about the exploration.
Danielsan said:
I wish the game allowed me to enjoy the exploration more, sadly I found myself annoyed by the fact that I had to play most of the game in x-ray vision. I wanted to enjoy the locations and exploration without everything being in a shitty blue hue, sadly gameplay dictated otherwise. Hopefully they'll implement a more elegant solution in the sequel.

Ermac said:
Guys keep in mind they can still change the title, still plenty of time.

Add me to the list of needing to play the first one. Are there any differences between the PS3 and Xbox versions?
And Mr. Ermac beat me to this comment. They very well could change the title, everything is tentative this far in advance, especially the title.

Chavelo

Game For Windows?

Ugh... I'll prolly pick it up for the PS3, then... Unless they messed up on writing down the platform and just meant "Windows PC" in general...

/hugs steam

dionysus

Yaldog
Chavelo said:
Game For Windows?

Ugh... I'll prolly pick it up for the PS3, then... Unless they messed up on writing down the platform and just meant "Windows PC" in general...

/hugs steam

Games for Windows is not the same thing as GfW Live, how many times does this have to be said.

gdt

I wish more companies would adopt the Nintendo model of announcing/showing off games ~6months before release. These super early teases just fucking suck.

BobTheFork said:
The sequel to AA needs to have Arkham in the title, what else is there?

Arkham Acres?
Arkham Anarchy?
Arkham Aftermath?

What about Batman: Gotham Asylum?

Quick, someone pay me for these great idea :p

Does it really need Arkham in the title? Does it even need Batman in the title? See: The Dark Knight.

Rez said:
Arkham City, as a concept, sounds like the most creatively bankrupt way of expanding on what made Arkham Asylum so surprisingly cool, but I'm still super-interested.

But, I mean, Arkham City. Arkham City. Yeesh.
This is the reality people are afraid to admit

vg260

Danielsan said:
I wish the game allowed me to enjoy the exploration more, sadly I found myself annoyed by the fact that I had to play most of the game in x-ray vision. I wanted to enjoy the locations and exploration without everything being in a shitty blue hue, sadly gameplay dictated otherwise. Hopefully they'll implement a more elegant solution in the sequel.

I recall seeing an article recently where the developers had the same feeling regarding detective mode and the environments. Sounds like it will be addressed somehow.

ColonelColon said:
Does it really need Arkham in the title? Does it even need Batman in the title? See: The Dark Knight.
If it doesn't have Arkham in the title then it needs to have Asylum.

Like Batman: Gotham Asylum.

Maybe 'needs' isn't the right word, but after perhaps the best Batman game ever, I'm sure they want to brand these game somehow. They want people to know that these 2-3 Batman games were all made by the same devs and had a connected story in them.

I would like to see Nightwing or Tim Drake if they are going to have co-op. I'm going back to read some of the old 90s Tim Drake Robin comics, and he is actually a really cool character and an excellent detective.

I'm really excited for Arkham City! The Asylum was huge in the first game, and now we have a city?! Count me in!

Edit: Wow, people are complaining about the subtitle... Go figure....

Hopefully it's a little more metroidvania this time, so I can play it slightly differently on a replay.

Not games for windows "live"? :( looks like it's the console version for me.

dLMN8R

Chavelo said:
Game For Windows?

/hugs steam
Metro 2033 is Games for Windows
Just Cause 2 is Games for Windows
Aliens vs. Predator is Games for Windows
FEAR 2: Project Origin is Games for Windows
Empire: Total War is Games for Windows
Napoleon: Total War is Games for Windows

You know what all of those games also are?

Steamworks enabled, with not a single hint of Games for Windows Live integration anywhere to be found.

Read up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_for_Windows_titles

Danielsan

2&2 said:
I recall seeing an article recently where the developers had the same feeling regarding detective mode and the environments. Sounds like it will be addressed somehow.
That's good to hear.
I'll definitely be a whole lot more interested in the game once they confirm that this issue has been addressed.

Catwoman co-op, that's going to be a pretty cool addition. I doubt they're going to make her play the same way as Batman, after all.

sflufan

Banned
I still cannot believe that after all this fucking time, my fellow PC gamers STILL CANNOT tell the difference between "Games for Windows" and "Games for Windows Live" enabled.

Seriously, what is WRONG with you people?

LiK

sflufan said:
I still cannot believe that after all this fucking time, my fellow PC gamers STILL CANNOT tell the difference between "Games for Windows" and "Games for Windows Live" enabled.

Seriously, what is WRONG with you people?
What's the difference? :)

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Hope Robin is playable.

Did anything come out of that rumor?

.la1n

santi_yo said:
As always, I made a 1080p clean-cover Wallpaper:

Hope you like it!

don't suppose you would be able to make one for iphone4 specs of just batman and catwoman? puhhhleeeeasseee.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If this game had story based coop that would be the greatest thing.

I loved Arkham Asylum, I recommend to everyone because it's so well paced and one of the best games I've ever played.

Hopefully they tone down Batman a bit in this one. He was ridiculously huge in Arkham Asylum. It looked really stupid.

EDIT: Nice wallpaper.

eshwaaz said:
Kudos to Eidos for giving Rocksteady two full years to make this the sequel it deserves to be. When they announced it on Spike, I was really worried they would rush it out in Fall 2010.

Pretty sure this a WB game now as they acquired Rocksteady.

fernoca

For some reason I was expecting this game like early next year. :lol
Been checking a limited edition of the first one for $60, but avoiding it because "the sequel was coming soon". :lol

Guess this and Mortal Kombat will be WB's big games for next year. This on Fall and Mortal Kombat planned for Spring, though it wouldn't surprise me if MK is delayed till Summer. Like how WB is not putting pressure on their newly acquired devs (for now) into rushing the new games.

szaromir

Banned
Was there blood in Arkham Asylum? I don't remember, but the cover teases it in Arkham City,so I guess the game will get more brutal. :/

DrBo42 said:
I didn't even realize until just now that the bat symbol is in the smoke. Wow.

Oh wow! You're right!

Could someone make the other picture into a wallpaper? I like that one a little more.

Dabanton said:
Do you have a fetish about the M rating? I see you in film threads saying the same thing...:lol
Honestly all you would have to have is someone saying 'fuck' twice for no reason and it's M-rated...pretty badass.

Ridley327

szaromir said:
Was there blood in Arkham Asylum? I don't remember, but the cover teases it in Arkham City,so I guess the game will get more brutal. :/

There wasn't a whole lot of blood, but it was still a very violent game all things considered. Some stuff in that game really, really stretched the T-rating for all it was worth.

Crazy Bats eating a rat was one giant WTF

EekTheKat

I don't think Catwoman being there is indicative of coop - it looks more like your usual Catwoman is playing with Batman while Batman just broods scene that's in a lot of Catwoman - Batman encounters.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Catwoman becomes playable in some variation of challenge mode.

Ceebs

Saty said:
No Nvidia-exclusive AA this time i hope. I wasn't one of those who went all crazy about the first game - it had glaring issues- but it was an enjoable game.
They can count me out if they pull that shit again. That pissed me off more any game related purchase last year.

Going by that artwork, they might have slimmed down Batman somewhat which is good.

panda21 said:
wait so this is arkham asylum 2? i thought that was supposed to be this year :|
Uh, Arkham Asylum came out about a year ago. This doesn't need to be a yearly franchise.

Top Bottom