• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Some puzzles are ridiculous. I'm like "ok, let's do THIS for shit and giggles even though it might not work cause it's ridiculous". Then it works and I'm like "BULLSHIT WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!".

And there are harder puzzles left.

I hate the Dick Mode in this. Why do I have to look through a filter to see the important bits?

It should keep everything the way it is normally and only highlight the enemies and objects of interest; I don't want to play the whole game looking through a filter, I don't understand why they do it the way that they do...

I also hate the ice-skating enemies: dude is 20ft away from me winding up a punch and slides all the way over to me to make a connection. BS. The Iceberg Lounge map really shows how broken it is, it's like they learned the melee-lunge from U2 MP.

If you're playing the whole game in detective mode you're doing it wrong. It's tempting because it might seem like a cheat mode of sorts but after a while you'll figure out you're better off just using in select spots.

Ridley327

If you're playing the whole game in detective mode you're doing it wrong. It's tempting because it might seem like a cheat mode of sorts but after a while you'll figure out you're better off just using in select spots.

I was very impressed with how well they handled being able to tell which guard does what, especially with all the different things they can do now. You really only need detective mode to figure out where the proximity mine guy is at if he isn't in your line of sight.

That plot point killed me for several reasons:

1) what possible water-soluble poison only works if you breathe it in but not drink it?

2) esp something not only water-soluble but vapor-soluble.

3) Even granting those two insane stretches, water can evaporate on its own even without the application of heat. No one's suffered from fear gas poisoning in the days that Ra's has been infusing the water supply with it?

4) A microwave gun that could vaporize most of the water in a water main would (a) kill everyone in its line of fire horribly and almost instantly, and (b) the resulting pressure in the water main would also cause mass destruction, which is kind of overkill for someone who just wanted to turn the residents insane and make them destroy the city themselves.

5) and why didn't Ra's just drop the poison from above? His evil organization has almost unlimited resources.

What's your scientific background?

I had 2 quick questions:

I played to 100% completion Arkham Asylum on PS3. Is there anything that carries over into Arkham City via save file (which I'm now playing on 360). Was wondering if there was carry over content (like full completion on riddler puzzles) etc. etc. Naturally, I'm hoping there isn't since I have AA on PS3 and now AC on 360.

And - I played AA on normal mode. Found it reasonable. How is AC? Is it easier, harder - or about the same in terms of default difficulty?

Thanks.

Ocaso

Definitely. One of the best things they did in this game was "fix" detective mode so that it's no longer always beneficial. It's a subtle change, but one that benefits the game, even if bad habits from Asylum might sour you on it at first.

Ridley327

Definitely. One of the best things they did in this game was "fix" detective mode so that it's no longer always beneficial. It's a subtle change, but one that benefits the game, even if bad habits from Asylum might sour you on it at first.

And they certainly punish you enough for trying to abuse it on New Game+, since the vast majority of the predator sequences will feature a scrambler.

Finally managed to pick this up yesterday (360).

What DLC is worth getting? I see a pack with the Robin, Nightwing and Skins is available. Is it worth the 1200 moon monies? What of the extra challenge maps?

Also, despite beating AA on Hard (still not quite sure how), I still can't seem to get into a combat situation without finding myself button mashing after a second or so. This leads to me getting a beat-down. Had to change from Hard to Normal just to get past the fight to get into the courthouse!

Anyone got any good tips to help get me out of this nasty habit? I tried Youtube, but all I seem to find is brag-clips for high combos or Perfect Knight. Not really all that helpful for someone who want's to learn the ins and outs of the combat system.

RivalCore

Rather than focusing on trying to do counters, you should be doing evades (A, A and direction, I think). You're actually invulnerable while doing it, and it's a great way to keep yourself from being boxed in. Plus you don't need to wait, you can do it immediately after a move and you can evade every single enemy (even the bigger ones)

Also try and get the critical strike timing down. Once you hit a 4x combo, it kicks in and after 12x you enter bullet time mode where everything gets easier. I stopped doing counters because it's too easy to lose your combo or get screwed over by someone off screen.

hiro4

Also, despite beating AA on Hard (still not quite sure how), I still can't seem to get into a combat situation without finding myself button mashing after a second or so. This leads to me getting a beat-down. Had to change from Hard to Normal just to get past the fight to get into the courthouse!

Anyone got any good tips to help get me out of this nasty habit? I tried Youtube, but all I seem to find is brag-clips for high combos or Perfect Knight. Not really all that helpful for someone who want's to learn the ins and outs of the combat system.

There was an article some time ago about the developers saying that the combat is actually like a rhythm action game. Perhaps if you take this approach it might work for you.
It did for me, I'm way better in combat in AC then I was in AA.

I also find it more easier to get big combo's with Catwoman then with Batman, perhaps of the way she moves in such a rythmic flow.

So try to get a rhythm during combat in which you press the buttons.

The Riddlers henchman is one of the lamest gameplay mechanics I have ever come across in all my years of gaming. It has completely taken the fun out of every fight.

AEREC

I had 2 quick questions:

I played to 100% completion Arkham Asylum on PS3. Is there anything that carries over into Arkham City via save file (which I'm now playing on 360). Was wondering if there was carry over content (like full completion on riddler puzzles) etc. etc. Naturally, I'm hoping there isn't since I have AA on PS3 and now AC on 360.

And - I played AA on normal mode. Found it reasonable. How is AC? Is it easier, harder - or about the same in terms of default difficulty?

Thanks.

Nope..no save importing or anything.

AC is hard at the beginning but gets easier as you upgrade and get the hang of combat. Id say it's harder than AA overall since AA was a breeze even on Hard.

Finally managed to pick this up yesterday (360).

What DLC is worth getting? I see a pack with the Robin, Nightwing and Skins is available. Is it worth the 1200 moon monies? What of the extra challenge maps?

Just put your first few upgrades into combat armor so you dont go down so fast in a fight...it is a rythm, so you shoudl get the hang of it eventually.

As for the DLC...if you like challenge maps then it is probably worth it for you to get the DLC, but I would still wait on a sale.

The Riddlers henchman is one of the lamest gameplay mechanics I have ever come across in all my years of gaming. It has completely taken the fun out of every fight.

It's not like they are mandatory and they will keep respawning until all the riddler items are shown on the map.

Really? I think it's a good way to make fights a bit more interesting. If they are troubling you, you can ultra stun them to send them down for a while. Plus putting the henchmen in different situations (over a railing, against a wall) yields cool results.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So just beat the game..can't help but feel the game is much more compact than Asylum. Way shorter. To be fair though, I thought Asylum got too long by the end. But it seriously feels like yesterday I was interrogating the Joker, then a few dungeons later you're pretty much at the end. It might also be because the buildings in Asylum felt very big with lots of off-shoot corridors/rooms while in city they're like 5 rooms. Look at the museum, or even GCDP. Still, I loved this game..now to clean up..

I absolutely love them. They give a great side-challenge to the fights which are already very easy anyway if you're fairly upgraded. And I seriously went through like 10 or 15 of them before I ever heard Batman repeat a line of dialogue. Very well done.

Really? I think it's a good way to make fights a bit more interesting. If they are troubling you, you can ultra stun them to send them down for a while. Plus putting the henchmen in different situations (over a railing, against a wall) yields cool results.
I agree -- I thought those fights were more interesting and actively sought them out.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Playing "Hard" in AC is only really challenging at the beginning, it doesn't scale much in difficulty over its duration compared to "normal". By end-game you'd be hard pushed to tell difference.

NG+ on "Normal" is substantially more challenging than "Hard" first-time once you get past the first couple of big fights.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

Far better than the Riddler leaving behind a bunch of fucking maps with wiggly question marks around for you. One of the things that bugged me, replaying AA: why leave a map Riddler? And how did you make vague, moving question marks on a paper map?

In AC, it made sense because he hired like a hundred guys to place his little question marks, and you could map their location by scaring the crap out of each and every one of them. I liked the added strategy of not beating up the glowing green guy, so I could threaten him real good for the info.

If only I had grenades that froze enemies thus removing them as a threat, marking them as a target that I don't want to hit and allowing me to finish them last.

Oh wait.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If only I had grenades that froze enemies thus removing them as a threat, marking them as a target that I don't want to hit and allowing me to finish them last.

Oh wait.

Haha I didn't even think of that, great idea. I always just avoided them/vaulted over them or countered them to put them on the ground. Considering you can choose exactly who you want to attack in a combo it's literally impossible to kill them unless you accidentally counter them too many times or blow them up with the gel or something.

Irish

Haha I didn't even think of that, great idea. I always just avoided them/vaulted over them or countered them to put them on the ground. Considering you can choose exactly who you want to attack in a combo it's literally impossible to kill them unless you accidentally counter them too many times or blow them up with the gel or something.

Actually, I think Batman just continually does his weak counters on them that don't really do any damage, even when he is in full free-flow mode. Not entirely sure about that though.

I thought the Penguin was really dumb in this game. A handcuffed Bruce Wayne beats down a bunch of his thugs, breaks out of the handcuffs, climbs up the side of a building to escape, and suddenly Batman appears later that night.

It's also known that Batman has to be either A)A rich person or B)Funded by a rich person due to the gadgets and vehicles he has. Bruce Wayne is a rich person.

Really how stupid do you have to be not to put 2 and 2 together?

its obvious once you know the answer.
I doubt anyone would ever really think a rich person would care deeply enough to clean up the streets swarming with murders, rapists and psychopaths especially when people see that same rich person being shallow in public.

Meier

What is this black screen nonsense when booting the game up? Scared the shit out of me.. how have they not fixed this like 4-5 months after the game came out? Three times in a row that it hasn't worked..

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
*sees riddler agent with gun is 50 yards from nearest enemy*
*sneaks up on them*
game display: Y - Silent Takedown
"oh, fucking hell..."
*sneaks away*
*grapples out*

jet1911

Just did the part with Ra's and I was curious. Is there an alternate storyline where Batman kill Ra's and lead the League of Assassin's? I'd be a pretty cool story to tell I think.

tjohn86

I just want to warn anyone playing on PC that GFWL will eat you save file.

I had 22 hours into this game and now it says I'm at 0%.

From various forums it seems the problem is popping an achievement and quitting before another save happens.

Fuck GFWL.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I am trying to download patch 1.03 but every time I do, my screen goes blank and my PS3 eventually restarts. I have tried googling it but found nothing. I rented this copy, should I return it? I rented it the day it came out so I have previous game data and save data present. Even if I decline the download it just logs me out then the same blank screen.

The challenge mode in this is amazing. It's like this generation's equivalent to The Mercenaries in RE4. The combat is just so amazing, and the Predator stuff ain't half bad either. Tempted to get the Robin/Nightwing DLC just based on how much fun I'm having with this mode.

Oh, and I got all Riddler riddles and trophies inc. Selina's, and just need to finish off the physical challenges and TYGER cameras. Basically, this game is gold, Jerry.

The challenge mode in this is amazing. It's like this generation's equivalent to The Mercenaries in RE4. The combat is just so amazing, and the Predator stuff ain't half bad either. Tempted to get the Robin/Nightwing DLC just based on how much fun I'm having with this mode.
I actually don't get that into the challenge modes typically, but I've played quite a bit just because Robin and Nightwing are a lot of fun to use. Really dig the Iceberg Lounge DLC that is just an endless stream of baddies until you finally get knocked out.

Yup I got Nightwing/Robin when it was on sale on Steam and don't regret a thing. They have their own moves and predator challenges. Also enemies address them by name but the characters themselves don't talk unlike Batman or Catwoman.

.GqueB.

Banned
I thought the Penguin was really dumb in this game. A handcuffed Bruce Wayne beats down a bunch of his thugs, breaks out of the handcuffs, climbs up the side of a building to escape, and suddenly Batman appears later that night.

It's also known that Batman has to be either A)A rich person or B)Funded by a rich person due to the gadgets and vehicles he has. Bruce Wayne is a rich person.

Really how stupid do you have to be not to put 2 and 2 together?

Thats more of a commentary on superhero alter-egos as a whole rather than just Batman. You can find out who just about anyone is just by putting 2 and 2 together.

Some puzzles are ridiculous. I'm like "ok, let's do THIS for shit and giggles even though it might not work cause it's ridiculous". Then it works and I'm like "BULLSHIT WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!".

And there are harder puzzles left.

That's how I feel all the time as well. Yesterday I tried something with the RC Batarang and it was supposed to be done exactly that way. I had to electrify it and fly backtracing through a shitload of obstacles just to open a door. WHAT. But it's so satisfying :)

Yup I got Nightwing/Robin when it was on sale on Steam and don't regret a thing. They have their own moves and predator challenges. Also enemies address them by name but the characters themselves don't talk unlike Batman or Catwoman.

Huh, that's surprising. I mean, Robin shows up in game so it's not like they didn't have a voice for him... odd.

I suppose the next game will probably have fully playable Bat/Cat/Dick/Tim, so yeah. Kinda wish there was some Talia DLC, that would have been cool to see.

Welp. My save file just vanished on the PC. That's pretty cool.

How the fuck do save files vanish! What the fuck. I was just playing a few hours ago. Went to jump back in for a bit... Go fuck yourselves game for windows and Rocksteady too for using it. Fuck that.

Bluth54

Welp. My save file just vanished on the PC. That's pretty cool.

How the fuck do save files vanish! What the fuck. I was just playing a few hours ago. Went to jump back in for a bit... Go fuck yourselves game for windows and Rocksteady too for using it. Fuck that.

Yeah my save file right at the end of the game disappeared.

From what I've read it's a problem all games for windows live games have, save files include a checksum based on your live profile, and if it doesn't save the checksum correctly then you're screwed.

According to the Rocksteady forums they are working on a patch because it seems to be happening a lot for people when they unlock an achievement but don't save again after it (your Live profile changes but the checksum isn't updated correctly on the save file for some reason), but they'll never be able to eliminate it completely because Games for Windows Live is a piece of shit.

That could be exactly what happened to me. I had finished the game and was going around doing all the side stuff and thinking about doing new game plus. I had just finished Azreal when I quit. So it is very possible it didn't save right after getting that achievement. What a piece of shit. All I had left was Zsasz (not doing Riddler shit).

My save file is there and everything, it just doesn't see it. No "file corrupt" or anything. I was able to roll back to a previous version of the file thanks to windows. So I only lost my progress last night (entire ID theft, Azreal, couple Zsasz calls, and a bunch of Riddler thugs to fill in my map for the hell of it). Oh well, at least it's back and I'll be making backups everytime I finish playing from now on.

Started new game plus. Felt like a god on normal by the end, getting fucking wrecked in new game plus.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I love this game and have played through it multiple times, but I never really ever finished Arkham Asylum (played a bit of it when it was first released but I didn't really dig it and sold it back). Do you guys think it would be worth getting Arkham Asylum and playing through it AFTER having finished Arkham City? Will I be annoyed that Batman can't do as much as he can in AC? Just wondering since AA GOTY is on sale for $15 today on Amazon.

If you didn't like it the first time, I'm not sure why you'd like it the second time. If you still have the moves down from Arkham City, I think it will be a super easy game, since it's simpler.

Does Batman and Gotham take place as a fictional city in the real world? I only ask this because the game makes references to places like [Las] Vegas, and the movies obviously reference places like China, Russia etc. Never knew for sure before.

^

Well, yeah. Just a made up city. Doesn't take place on mars or anything.

I've been playing through Arkham Asylum today for the hell of it. Game is super easy coming from City. Riddles are a fucking joke also. Have like 90 to go. Game is still awesome. Bad guys take a fuck ton more punishment in City.

Top Bottom