• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City Review Thread

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
cnizzle06 said:
I'll probably just upgrade my PS3 if I feel the graphics are superior on the PC version.
LOL

PC PC PC though

And Snuggler, knowing you have the NVIDIA part, can I run Physx on an AMD card? I tried it on AA and my frame rate went from 60 to around 26!

Amir0x

Banned
TheAtomicPile said:
Crap, didn't think of that. It'll probably be a pack of all of them for $20. Perfect.

Hopefully the Wii U version will have them all on there.

i forgot a Wii U version was planned. It seems like that system is forever away for some reason.

Wonder what type of enhancements that version will have. Prob all DLC included on day one, detective mode with the tablet?

Snuggler said:
...and here I thought you were all about high standards. How disappointing.

Come on you have to let me have my weakness! It's their fault! They said they would have it day one and delayed it! Now I can't wait because I am too hyped :(

overcast

Well damn.. Things got heated the past few pages. Too many personal insults there, unnecessary.

Lets bring it back. Batman is cool as fuck. This game will be da bomb.

moop2000 said:
What was the deal to get the Animated Series one? I bet that code will sell gangbusters on the secondary market. I want to see it in action too.
Can't really say for the US but here it was bundled with the Dark Knight Returns skin and Tim Drake, and was the bonus for pre-ordering through JB Hi-Fi (which I'm assuming is an Australia-only chain). The pre order bonus I got to going to EB (which I think is just a rebranded Gamestop here) was 1970's Batman, the red hood film, a metal case and the Joker's Carnival battle map.

If the costumes are sold in a pack I'll probably just buy that then, but if not then B:TAS Batman is the only one that has my interest (unless I'm misremembering whether Batman Beyond/Terry McGinnis Batman was realistic or also done in a similar animated style).

cnizzle06

Banned
overcast said:
Well damn.. Things got heated the past few pages. Too many personal insults there, unnecessary.

Would an avatar quote be considered racist in this situation?

Amir0x

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
I'm pretty sure he got high and just sort of wondered off.

it was amazing one would even make such an astounding claim. I was almost like impressed in a way because how do you make a closed architecture system do that? It's such a bold claim one almost HAS to sit and listen for the explanation out of sheer amazing wtf-ness

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
cnizzle06 said:
Would an avatar quote be considered racist in this situation?

Avatar quotes are above and beyond the confines of social decency.

cnizzle06 said:
I'm pretty sure he got high and just sort of wondered off.

His oft-posted intention to post proof never materialised, but his brief stay at GAF was brought to an end by the common combination of stupidity and bish's all-seeing eye:

bishoptl said:
rhubbard16 said:
Uh yeah gayzar we are in a recession! lol
oh man, that's how you go out? not in a blaze of glory, but a wet fart of casual homophobia?

boothisman.gif

Astrosanity said:
Can't really say for the US but here it was bundled with the Dark Knight Returns skin and Tim Drake, and was the bonus for pre-ordering through JB Hi-Fi (which I'm assuming is Australia only). The pre order bonus I got to going to EB (which I think is just a rebranded Gamestop here) was 1970's Batman, the red hood film, a metal case and the Joker's Carnival battle map.

If the costumes are sold in a pack I'll probably just buy that then, but if not then B:TAS Batman is the only one that has my interest (unless I'm misremembering whether Batman Beyond/Terry McGinnis Batman was realistic or also done in a similar animated style).

Yeah, the US one was with Gamestop but you needed to be part of their crazy program and stuff. I think that's why I blew it off. Still would have been nice with Kevin Conroy's voice to play in that style. In fact, a complete game skin that makes it all Animated series looking would've been just about the coolest thing ever. Sort of on topic, I haven;t seen any of the reviews really talk about the quality of the story or the voice work. I;d like to here what they say about Harley Quinn being replaced.

Jintor

Amir0x said:
it was amazing one would even make such an astounding claim. I was almost like impressed in a way because how do you make a closed architecture system do that? It's such a bold claim one almost HAS to sit and listen for the explanation out of sheer amazing wtf-ness

It was a little like the last few pages here, heh.

Kraftwerk

Damn, thread got ugly. Time to cheer things up;

GVXUi.gif

ovgY1.gif

cnizzle06

Banned
Amir0x said:
I could almost accept expedited load times, but enhanced graphics on a locked platform? Yeah...

moop2000 said:
I;d like to here what they say about Harley Quinn being replaced.
oh god I forgot about that, though I have faith in Tara Strong since she's a veteran in animation voice-work anyways. I guess most reviews are just lumping the VA-work with 'story' and 'presentation', so I would take it they think it's perfectly fine.

Jintor

Astrosanity said:
oh god I forgot about that, though I have faith in Tara Strong since she's a veteran in animation voice-work anyways. I guess most reviews are just lumping the VA-work with 'story' and 'presentation', so I would take it they think it's perfectly fine.

I didn't even detect it until someone told me, and I'm a huge DCAU fan.

Amir0x

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
I could almost accept expedited load times, but enhanced graphics on a locked platform? Yeah...

I almost wanted it to be real though just to see the crazy upside way the world would have been the next day lol

cnizzle06

Banned
Amir0x said:
I almost wanted it to be real though just to see the crazy upside way the world would have been the next day lol
This is me dreaming but if it ever was a reality, I could see it working just for portal 2 where I think Valve just kinda shoehorned an age old engine into a platform and slightly tweaked it. Maybe they left the ability for the engine to acknowledge the hardware and adjust accordingly. This is me just talking out my ass at 130 in the morning.

Maybe I should go ly dow

JaseC

Madrical said:
Has it been removed from Steam because the PC version was delayed?

The game hasn't been added to the Steam Store at all just yet, and I imagine that is because the PC release still has no solid release date.

Just buy a GeForce.com code from eBay. :p

Vire

overcast said:

Amen!

Not sure what happened in the past few pages but I'll act like it didn't happen.

We should all be super pumped/happy we get to play such a great game!

JaseC said:
The game hasn't been added to the Steam Store at all just yet, and I imagine that is because the PC release still has no solid release date.

Which is weird because they're perfectly willing to put games up on Steam without a solid release date.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Snuggler said:
Pssh, I'd rather wait for the real deal. 60FPS/1080P/DX11/Physx...you can't get that shit anywhere else.
Yeah, the console port isn't even an option for me. I wouldn't play it if someone gave it to me.

JaseC

krameriffic said:
Which is weird because they're perfectly willing to put games up on Steam without a solid release date.

Indeed. I think Payday would be the most recent example of that. Whether Arkham City's current no-show is Valve's doing or that of WB, who knows (stranger things have happened!) Maybe WB are pulling an EA. :p

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Amir0x said:
eh reviews could be better, kinda disappointed honestly. Arkham Asylum had a metacritic average of 92 and this game is only slightly better than that. After all the time they had to develop this game, that's the best they could do?

The best they could do turns out to be the best superhero game ever made and the best game I've played all year (so far). Go soak your head.

Kydd BlaZe

Man these last few pages have been utterly hilarious! Pure entertainment. Some folks just have absolutely no sense of humor. Must suck going through life like that :(

At any rate, these reviews have me pumped! I'm currently addicted to Gears 3 multiplayer, but if there's any game out there that'll pull me away for a bit I'm almost certain its Arkham City.

RagnarokX

MattKeil said:
The best they could do turns out to be the best superhero game ever made and the best game I've played all year (so far). Go soak your head.
I can't believe anyone took Amir0x seriously with that post. It's drenched in irony.

Madrical

Banned
JaseC said:

I've seen a few people say that they've pre-ordered it from Steam though, or at least I thought.

RagnarokX said:
I can't believe anyone took Amir0x seriously with that post. It's drenched in irony.
I miss seeing that dinosaur.

Yeah, I'm pretty bad with irony but that was pretty obvious. No one is gonna whinge about a game having a 95 metacritic.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
eh reviews could be better, kinda disappointed honestly. Arkham Asylum had a metacritic average of 92 and this game is only slightly better than that. After all the time they had to develop this game, that's the best they could do?

I mean I'm not saying the game is bad I'm just slightly disappointed that they couldn't put more effort. At this point any developer who can't even oust the horrendously overrated Zelda: ocarina of time N64 edition metacritic/rottentomatoes average could obviously stand to put a little more effort into the product. Maybe it was the fast turn around time but it's inexcusable imo.
GAF needs signature so that this can be attached to every post Amirox makes.

Sotha Sil said:
The fact that some people actually thought he was being serious is quite telling.
So is the fact that he thought it would be funny to derail this thread by being an attention whore

Though I must admit, even when Amir0x does shit like this it's impossible to argue that GAF isn't a more interesting community because of him

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
AstroLad is far better at it than Amir0x - or any of you, for that matter - will ever dream of being.

Seriously, it's like the Force or something.

bishoptl said:
AstroLad is far better at it than Amir0x - or any of you, for that matter - will ever dream of being.

I've never seen AstroLad's but the way Amir0x got me me worked up ( and I'm really sorry for participating in mucking up the thread and being a dick to him) I don't think I want to experience his workings as well.

RagnarokX

moop2000 said:
I've never seen AstroLad's but the way Amir0x got me me worked up ( and I'm really sorry for participating in mucking up the thread and being a dick to him) I don't think I want to experience his workings as well.
It's just so obvious he wasn't serious. You seriously thought he thought that the game would be disappointing because the metacritic score only INCREASED by 2 points from 93? Come on now. :p

RagnarokX said:
It's just so obvious he wasn't serious. You seriously thought he thought that the game would be disappointing because the metacritic score only INCREASED by 2 points from 93? Come on now. :p

No, I didn't think that he was serious.

out of all the comic heroes ye i.e. Spiderman, the hulk, dangerous Dan etc. batman is the best. i mean...he is the ultimate ledge! he's sexy, got a beautiful car and don't forget his bat powers. this game has it all!!! ye baby i rate this game.gettit

Vire

Batman Arkham City has now surpassed Portal 2 as the highest rated game this year and tied for the second highest rated game of the generation.

QTIYA.png

Holy fucking batmans!

pakkit

Banned
bishoptl said:

It's like after every single post Astrolad makes, someone has to remind GAFfer's that they're arguing with Astrolad.

Radec

Vire said:
Batman Arkham City has now surpassed Portal 2 as the highest rated game this year and tied for the second highest rated game of the generation.

QTIYA.png

Holy fucking batmans!

To be fair, Portal 2 has 66 critic reviews while B:AC has 34. :)

Top Bottom