• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Knight - "All Who Follow You" - Official Trailer

Apparantly in the foreign trailer, Azreal has a extra line saying that Gotham needs a new savior. A new Batman. Wonder why they took it out.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=161906329&postcount=17725

CDrkGhxUgAAGyMM.png

https://twitter.com/BatmanArkham/status/593037102700335105

Stiler

So wait, these characters (Nightwing/Robin/Catwoman) are merely used during "combat," kind of like "tag in's" in Marvel Vs capcom or such, rather then actually being able to play as them/control them?

That is really disappointing, I was hoping that they were finally going to allow you to play as them outside of the "challenge" mode crap ( never cared for that int he past games, felt like such a waste to regulate Robin/Nightwing to that and not make them part of the story/main game).

So wait, these characters (Nightwing/Robin/Catwoman) are merely used during "combat," kind of like "tag in's" in Marvel Vs capcom or such, rather then actually being able to play as them/control them?

That is really disappointing, I was hoping that they were finally going to allow you to play as them outside of the "challenge" mode crap ( never cared for that int he past games, felt like such a waste to regulate Robin/Nightwing to that and not make them part of the story/main game).

For the first time ever, watch Batman™: Arkham Knight’s exciting new “Dual Play” feature in action, which will allow players to seamlessly switch between The Dark Knight and his allies including Robin, Nightwing, and Catwoman in FreeFlow Combat.

That's in the description for the youtube trailer.

How is this dual play going to work? Will there be certain points of the game where someone tags along, or will this be restricted to only challenge maps? Maybe instead of switching to other characters like Catwoman, you have team-up moments instead. Given the batmobile feature, stringing an A.I. companion along is going to undermine the gameplay.

delSai

Are the Riddler challenges only for the Batmobile or is it still like in the other games? I mean the trophies that you can collect in Gotham.

How is this dual play going to work? Will there be certain points of the game where someone tags along, or will this be restricted to only challenge maps? Maybe instead of switching to other characters like Catwoman, you have team-up moments instead. Given the batmobile feature, stringing an A.I. companion along is going to undermine the gameplay.

I'm sure once Rocksteady releases a statement, someone will post about it here. Here's a post where I quote a whole article posted on Prima's website that describes some unrevealed game systems. That posting has since been removed from the site. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any further explanation of game systems than what's already been released.

I'm willing to bet your worry about it "undermining the gameplay" is unfounded. At most — going by the youtube trailer description — the player will be able to switch between character like in Arkham City. What the description sounds like is that during certain moments in the game, Batman teams up with another hero, then during that predator/combat sequence you can order around/switch to the other character.

Even if having A.I. companions tag along was possible, there are passengers seats in the Batmobile. Just have them flip into the Batmobile when the player calls it, follow the player when outside of the Batmobile and only engage enemies when the player does. That was the gameplay won't be "undermined."

That doesn't seem very clear though. My initial reaction was that you can switch to control them, but now after reading the above post, it could just be a tag in...which would be pretty disappointing.

You're talking about crackhead_bob's post? He is just speculating. Just go by the description in the video. If it's not clear enough for you, then wait for official instructions

A Riddler trophy was spotted in the latest trailer. As far as the bulk of the game, I have to assume that Rocksteady is going to go the same route they did with City. Tons of Riddler trophies, dozens of Riddler snapshots, destructible objects, and ability challenges.

I know Rocksteady got alot of heat over the vast numbers of challenges, but they felt compelled to saturate Arkham City with these challenges because they didn't want the map to feel empty and barren. Arkham Knight is supposed to be five times the size of Arkham City, so I'd expect more of the same.

As far as the Riddler rooms, I have to imagine that they'll be more diverse that just racing laps around obstacle courses. I imagine the more advanced areas may involve challenge rooms like the ones in Arkham City and maps that involve both Batman and the Batmobile in puzzle challenges.

Even if having A.I. companions tag along was possible, there are passengers seats in the Batmobile. Just have them flip into the Batmobile when the player calls it, follow the player when outside of the Batmobile and only engage enemies when the player does. That was the gameplay won't be "undermined."

But what about the times where players are using the grapnel boost to get around Gotham City. I know that Arkham City is smaller than the map in Arkham Knight is going to be, but I have to imagine there are going to be players who are more partial to aerial gliding once driving around in the batmobile begins to lose its novelty.

There's nothing requiring they occupy physical space while the player is gliding around. They can teleport around off-screen and if you wait long enough in one spot, they could meet back up with you, or there could be an option to summon them, similar to the Batmobile (which has been described as being able to "cheat" when it comes to summoning it; it doesn't drive to you form where you last left it in real time). If they actually followed while the player is gliding around, the AI could be running/leaping around below.

It would be really awesome if companion AI had good enough pathfinding to grapnel/run/leap right behind or beside the player. A good way around that would be to have free-roam co-op of some sort, of course.

Well, it would have been nice if Rocksteady had offered a press release along with the new trailer to give clarity to this new feature. I wish they made a few trailers in the same vein that Rockstar has done with their games -- informational pieces that double as development diaries for the purpose of marketing.

I know we just got a new trailer, but how long before Rocksteady drops a new trailer? And what themed trailers could Rocksteady produce in the weeks leading up to it's release?

I could see a Red Hood trailer, perhaps to elaborate whether or not he's going to be in actual story. Even though Rocksteady has gone all out on promoting him since last summer, it's still unclear if he's going to be in the actual story.

A Riddler trailer could finally shed details on the types of Riddler challenges are going to crop up in the game (Riddler Trophies, hostages, races, etc.)

A Harley Quinn trailer to show off what her DLC may offer.

A gadget themed trailer to showcase Batman's arsenal, along with new ways that the Batmobile will factor into combos and exploration.

Then finally a launch trailer to mark the official release.

Rocksteady has kept things tighter lipped this time around.

Well, it would have been nice if Rocksteady had offered a press release along with the new trailer to give clarity to this new feature. I wish they made a few trailers in the same vein that Rockstar has done with their games -- informational pieces that double as development diaries for the purpose of marketing.

I know we just got a new trailer, but how long before Rocksteady drops a new trailer? And what themed trailers could Rocksteady produce in the weeks leading up to it's release?

I could see a Red Hood trailer, perhaps to elaborate whether or not he's going to be in actual story. Even though Rocksteady has gone all out on promoting him since last summer, it's still unclear if he's going to be in the actual story.

A Riddler trailer could finally shed details on the types of Riddler challenges are going to crop up in the game (Riddler Trophies, hostages, races, etc.)

A gadget themed trailer to showcase Batman's arsenal, along with new ways that the Batmobile will factor into combos and exploration.

Well said but I have pre ordered already and don't want to see any more trailers

SJRB

Gold Member

I'm actually okay with that. We don't know shit about the game and I like that. We know it's an Arkham sequel, we know it's done by Rocksteady so we know it's going to be good.

Keeping things close to the chest is way better than spoiling everything through trailers and whatnot.

Rocksteady has been too vague on the details and have relied too heavily on the Batmobile. It wouldn't hurt if they explained how this single player co-op is going to work in the game.

To be honest, I'm really on the fence with this co-op. I wasn't really thrilled with how Resident Evil 5 shoehorned this into their gameplay.

GravyButt

This comes out in June right? Hmm I think I need to upgrade my ps4 hard drive. Not ready to delete a few games quite yet. (its ashame gta v takes up a decent chunk, I like to play that game just to vent haha)

They've confirmed the line-launcher, batarangs, REC and batclaw can be used from midair. Can't imagine that the disruptor will be able to be used that way though.

Top Bottom