• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I am really pissed right now. I just got the Arkham Knight's Identity spoiled on Wikipedia of all places.

I just purchased a couple Batman books on Amazon (Year One and Killing Joke) and was just checking out a couple character's wikipedia pages and went to Jason Todd and right there was Arkham Knight under his aliases.

I guess shame on me, I should have just put my head in the sand on all Batman until I beat it but I have not had a lot of time to play lately with my three month old taking all my time right now.
Oh my lord i'd be so pissed. Avoided youtube like the plague for my playthrough, and checked after I beat the game, just certain letters i the search box would lead to spoilers, not to mention assholes putting the spoiler in the title and a specific thumbnail. We should be able to block channels on youtube from ever appearing for you.

hbkdx12

I am really pissed right now. I just got the Arkham Knight's Identity spoiled on Wikipedia of all places.

I just purchased a couple Batman books on Amazon (Year One and Killing Joke) and was just checking out a couple character's wikipedia pages and went to Jason Todd and right there was Arkham Knight under his aliases.

I guess shame on me, I should have just put my head in the sand on all Batman until I beat it but I have not had a lot of time to play lately with my three month old taking all my time right now.

If it's any conciliation, the game doesn't handle the lead up into the reveal very well at all IMO and after a certain point they pretty much beat you over the head with the possibility of who it could be.

I was thinking today, I read somewhere that Rocksteady originally wanted to call the game Batman: City of Fear or something like that, but WB wanted Arkham in the title. It made me wonder whether at any point in the development, the Arkham Knight
character was originally going to be just the Red Hood throughout the game, but changed to Arkham Knight for marketing purposes. It would have still been a reveal to show him as Jason Todd at the end of the game.

Fjordson

Man I loved the side quests in this (at least the non-Batmobile ones). Just finished the Pegnuin stuff.

I've done literally everything now except for the Riddler's questline. Kinda tempted to go for it for 100% (and the true ending) but I dunno. What I've done so far has been the opposite of fun.

FranXico

P
yg
's Voice Actor is amazing. Holy hell, he's freaky.

And how do I beat him?

Counter his cleaver attacks until you take down all the mind controlled mutilated people (you need to attack them while they're down or they'll get up again), then proceed to take him down - you do it via an environment takedown.

GrazGamer

Some dickhead posted it as a topic title on Steam and spoiled it for me
i guessed it was him though

Chopper

I'm trying to find what I assume is the first Riddler challenge. The map points me here, and I get this message. What the FUCKING fuck?!

l9kB2jS.jpg

How is this game STILL installing?! I already waited hours for the update to download and install. I waited and watched progress bars that refused to move for hours until I turned the console off and went to bed. I managed to eventually play half an hour the next day and then get an IN-GAME message that the game is STILL FUCKING INSTALLING! I bought the fucking disk. Let me play the fucking game, you dicks!

I was driving at a group of patrolling militia and launched out of the Batmobile. It skidded to a stop in front of soldiers as I landed silently behind them. They thought Batman was still inside since they were only alerted just after I launched out, so they started firing at it. I snuck up behind one of them and initiated a fear takedown sequence , knocking them all out.

Chopper

I was driving at a group of patrolling militia and launched out of the Batmobile. It skidded to a stop in front of soldiers as I landed silently behind them. They thought Batman was still inside since they were only alerted just after I launched out, so they started firing at it. I snuck up behind one of them and initiated a fear takedown sequence , knocking them all out.
I WANT TO DO THIS, FOR FUCK SAKE!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm trying to find what I assume is the first Riddler challenge. The map points me here, and I get this message. What the FUCKING fuck?!

l9kB2jS.jpg

How is this game STILL installing?! I already waited hours for the update to download and install. I waited and watched progress bars that refused to move for hours until I turned the console off and went to bed. I managed to eventually play half an hour the next day and then get an IN-GAME message that the game is STILL FUCKING INSTALLING! I bought the fucking disk. Let me play the fucking game, you dicks!
I don't think the game installs while the console is off.

l9kB2jS.jpg

This happened to me the first time I played it got stuck on 8%, you need to end the application and restart it and it will start installing correctly, if this is from disc of course. If you try to look at AR challenges or Showcase in the menu, you can see how far it's progressed. Shouldn't take long at all, it just messed up.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Having problems with the Weird War Tales trophy in the Batgirl DLC...

Yeah that one didn't unlock for me as well. I actually had to restart the episode after I beat it and made sure I did as many hack takedowns as possible. I'm thinking some types don't count. Electricity and lights out definitely count towards it.

But yes, this is one is missable, because even though you can return to the park after you're done, you can't hack enemies again.

Itachi87

P
yg
's Voice Actor is amazing. Holy hell, he's freaky.

And how do I beat him?

I felt that villain was done much better in this game than mainstays like penguin, two-face, and deathstroke, who all felt like they were added in as an afterthought to increase the number of total side missions.

Dabanton

Ok I was defending the bat mobile as a great addition and tank battles a minor annoyance , even after the knight sewer section, but the last tank battle is straight up bs and has completely changed my opinion of the game, I've died about 25 times now on hard and I've found the rest of the game up until this point pretty easy.

Any tips because if I stay in a corner I get wrecked and if I try run and hide they just endless come from all directions.

Game was a 9 out of 10 but now it's a 7 purely based on the last tank battle .

I loved that part. The thing with the tanks and drones is trying to hide means they'll take you apart very easily. I always go on the offensive against them and basically keep moving non stop. Zooming in on turrets gives lots of one shot explosions. Have you been upgrading your Batmobile?

Fjordson

Well...finished the Catwoman / Riddler stuff. Am at like 94% now. Kinda want to shoot for 100%, but I don't think I can do the 220+ Riddler items I still have left.

Oh well. Still an amazing game. I absolutely hated most of the Batmobile sections, but everything else was so strong that this somehow still feels like my favourite Arkham game. I never felt compelled to finish every last quest in Asylum, City or Origins. Thought the main story and missions were pretty strong as well and the city looked amazing. Had so much fun exploring.

It's a bit sad that this is probably Rocksteady's last Batman game, but better to end it on a good note than burn people out. Excited to see what they work on next.

Cindro

Guys - GUYS. I ONLY HAVE 12 AR STARS LEFT TO GET AND 100 MORE RIDDLES TO SOLVE
UNTIL I START MY NG+ RUN

Here's something I've always hated about the Arkham games - you can only do New Game + ONCE... and if you want to do it again, you have to replay the vanilla mode first on a new file to unlock it! Is there anyway to backup your save on modern consoles now to workaround that? I replay the Arkham campaigns a lot (comparatively, at least), and I'd like all future play throughs to be NG+. If there's a way to do this though, I sure don't know about it :( Really dumb design choice that I can't believe hasn't been addressed yet in the series.

You can hack escalators? Man, wish I'd done that. Although that's a sh*tty way for a major villain to be defeated....

But it's entirely consistent with the character. Two-Face isn't a physical threat to Batman. Even in the comics he is often defeated with a single punch.

While I wanted better boss battles in AK, I appreciate that they they didn't artificially pump up the power levels of villains who just don't stand a chance against Batman in a straight up fight. Much better than the multiple takedown nonsense that they used in the Two Face and Harley battles in AC.

The game must needed more unique bosses that could have posed more of a 1 on 1 threat to Batman which is something I thought that AC did a good job with in the case of
Grundy, Ra's, and Clayface
. But I think I'm in in the minority for having enjoyed those boss fights in AC.

But it's entirely consistent with the character. Two-Face isn't a physical threat to Batman. Even in the comics he is often defeated with a single punch.

While I wanted better boss battles in AK, I appreciate that they they didn't artificially pump up the power levels of villains who just don't stand a chance against Batman in a straight up fight. Much better than the multiple takedown nonsense that they used in the Two Face and Harley battles in AC.

The game must needed more unique bosses that could have posed more of a 1 on 1 threat to Batman which is something I thought that AC did a good job with in the case of
. But I think I'm in in the minority for having enjoyed those boss fights in AC.

Agreed on all counts

antitrop

I hate the last mission of this game with a burning passion. I just want it to end and it keeps throwing waves of shit at me.

EDIT: OH MY GOD THAT WAS ONLY THE PENULTIMATE MISSION

I hate this game

SlickVic

Well I sure am rusty at the combat. Died a good 7 or 8 times in the first encounter they throw brutes and waves of enemies at you. These encounters have never been my favorite part of the Arkham games, and I can only assume they'll get tougher from here on out.

GeoGonzo

Well I sure am rusty at the combat. Died a good 7 or 8 times in the first encounter they throw brutes and waves of enemies at you. These encounters have never been my favorite part of the Arkham games, and I can only assume they'll get tougher from here on out.

If the encounter is right after tracking the AK knight into some tunnels
and getting shot by him in a cutscene
then I wouldn't worry much, that is indeed a surprisingly hard encounter. It doesn't get much harder than that when it comes to melee combat, specially if you still haven't upgraded it much (And you shouldn't, focus on upgrading the car first)

-edit-

Actualy there's only one other fight with waves of enemies that I can think of, and it is right at the end of the game.

SJRB

Gold Member
then I wouldn't worry much, that is indeed a surprisingly hard encounter. It doesn't get much harder than that when it comes to melee combat, specially if you still haven't upgraded it much (And you shouldn't, focus on upgrading the car first)

-edit-

Actualy there's only one other fight with waves of enemies that I can think of, and it is right at the end of the game.

I was dreading that sequence in my NG+ playthrough but I got it first try.

Environmental takedowns are key in this fight, they insta-K.O. everyone in close range.

SlickVic

-edit-

Yeah that's the exact part I'm at, and it's actually a relief to hear that. Been enjoying the game otherwise up to this point (including the batmobile) so I'm glad there's not a whole lot of wave based combat to worry about.

Makikou

I've nearly completed the game and i have yet to figure out how to use enviromental takedowns (PS4), can anyone explain to me?

Yeah i cleared the Professor Pyg fight without using enviromental takedowns..

GeoGonzo

I've nearly completed the game and i have yet to figure out how to use enviromental takedowns (PS4), can anyone explain to me?

Yeah i cleared the Professor Pyg fight without using enviromental takedowns..

When near a valid enviromental object, like a lightbox, searchlight or lamp, if an enemy is nearby both the object and the enemy will turn blue. Pressing square+cross (X+A) takes the enemy out instantly. This does not require being in freeflow or having any combo meter.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Guys - GUYS. I ONLY HAVE 12 AR STARS LEFT TO GET AND 100 MORE RIDDLES TO SOLVE
UNTIL I START MY NG+ RUN

Here's something I've always hated about the Arkham games - you can only do New Game + ONCE... and if you want to do it again, you have to replay the vanilla mode first on a new file to unlock it! Is there anyway to backup your save on modern consoles now to workaround that? I replay the Arkham campaigns a lot (comparatively, at least), and I'd like all future play throughs to be NG+. If there's a way to do this though, I sure don't know about it :( Really dumb design choice that I can't believe hasn't been addressed yet in the series.

Origins had I am the Night mode, which was NG+ with permadeath. Seemed unecessary at first but it was a good way to replay the game multiple times without having to start a new save file. Maybe Rocksteady can bring it back if there's enough demand

Rogan

Banned
Finished the game today.

The part when you play with Batman and Robin was really great, enjoyed it very much.

Great game overall, I only hate the jump-scares. Sometimes I black out when I get scared and it almost happend again when
the Man Bat and Joker popped up on the building.

9/10

mandiller

Just finished the game on PC.

(spoilers)
My biggest highlight:
When the batmobile got destroyed by the digger. I was cheering that that shit was over.
My biggest letdown:
When they choppered in a new batmobile.

Don't know why I never thought of it, but simply avoiding destroying the computer consoles and radios at the militia outposts will cause all soldiers to respawn if you want to replay them repeatedly.

stn

I'm 80% done. Currently as follows:

Doing the firefighter quest, have finished the others. The militia quests, however, are stuck for me. I finished them all but nothing is happening. How do I get Deathstroke to appear?

Thanks.

ZeroX03

Banned

Doing the firefighter quest, have finished the others. The militia quests, however, are stuck for me. I finished them all but nothing is happening. How do I get Deathstroke to appear?

Thanks.

Keep finishing up story and side quests if you haven't been given a mission marker. The unlock conditions are a bit glitchy and sometimes you have to finish up other stuff.

vladdamad

Thanks.

Are you sure you finished all the quests relating to that character? So that would be

Towers, Bombs, Road Checkpoints, APCs, Flying Drones

When you finish the last one of those you should have had a conversation between Batman and that character, where Batman says that
he will face him at Grand Avenue.
Maybe try going to that area to see if he will appear?

Ohhhhhhhhh, you have to take down all the air drones? Ok, still got that left. Thanks!

The problem is you have to continue the story, the militia sidquest is tied to the story, the more main missions you complete it unlocks more sidequest stuff. Taking out the drones flying around help the GCPD put helicopters in the sky which spot sidequest stuff.

I'm about a third of the way through this so far and I just want to say I'm loving it, best Arkham game yet. I do have one serious point of contention though and that is
the Joker? Again?! This is fanservice of the worst kind. Even in death they still find some bullshit means of bringing him back.

Reule

Did anyone have a glitch with the final Most Wanted mission for
Jack Ryder
? I was able to initiate the mission but
the tape that you listen to didn't play any audio.

Loving the game wondered how far I am
ivy just died after I took down cloudburst

Love
jokers
little chats with bats in this game. Also another q
when robin wants to lock un in a cell, I let him around 5 times and eventually bats locks him in, can you actually stay in there for a different ending5/game over

Still can't believe
ivy and barbs died though actually shocked at that lol

Korezo

Beat the game and going to stop playing @75%, worst batman game to me, the game felt more tedious than enjoyable. I don't even remember any fun moments.

Agreed.

I will say they dropped the ball on
Man Bat, Deathstroke, and Arkham Knight, though.
Those were creative boss fights waiting to happen.

Now that I'm near to beating the game I gotta get this off my chest I really really hate all the batmobile sections there is too many of them and they are not fun at all for me brought the game down for me would have been much better with less of the batmobile ...

Johndoey

Banned
I'm about a third of the way through this so far and I just want to say I'm loving it, best Arkham game yet. I do have one serious point of contention though and that is
the Joker? Again?! This is fanservice of the worst kind. Even in death they still find some bullshit means of bringing him back.

I think the story justifies it well enough and uses him in some interesting ways.
Especially the last bit.

Alienous

Loving the game wondered how far I am
ivy just died after I took down cloudburst

Love
jokers
little chats with bats in this game. Also another q
when robin wants to lock un in a cell, I let him around 5 times and eventually bats locks him in, can you actually stay in there for a different ending5/game over

Still can't believe
ivy and barbs died though actually shocked at that lol

You've got a solid chunk to go. Hours left, I'd say.

Top Bottom