• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

I can't believe that the guy(s) who wrote AssCreed could write a better story than Paul Dini.

I can't even believe.

took 6 tries or so. make sure to go free flowin' and attack guys with guns first naturally. The tricky part is counters because there are soo many enemies, but once you get a good combo going and reach x12 or w/e it is to go super speed (forgot its name), it gets easier. Focus on attacking guys with guns, get your counters. is doeable :p

Weird that there isn't an achievement or anything here.

I might not be able to do the same, but thanks for the tip anyway. :D

I can't believe that the guy(s) who wrote AssCreed could write a better story than Paul Dini.

I can't even believe.

5mrqknpk7kga.gif

Can anyone help me? I just beat Deathstroke and got back out into the city, did a couple Anarky bomb side missions and don't know where to go next. My current objective apparently is to "Locate Blackmask" but there are no waypoints or markers anywhere. Had a glitch earlier that prevented a door from opening and wasted a fair bit of time so I wouldn't be surprised if this is some sort of glitch again.

Hurley

Can anyone help me? I just beat Deathstroke and got back out into the city, did a couple Anarky bomb side missions and don't know where to go next. My current objective apparently is to "Locate Blackmask" but there are no waypoints or markers anywhere. Had a glitch earlier that prevented a door from opening and wasted a fair bit of time so I wouldn't be surprised if this is some sort of glitch again.

Head to
Lacey Towers
it's located in the Coventry section of the map.

Myself and some other users have had the same issue.

pa22word

I can't even believe.

Well, Dini had no prior experience with VGs and AC guys did. At least that's what I tell myself to make it make sense...

Because god damn City's story was so unbelievably bad....

Joei

Man, I was looking at waiting a month or two to pick this game up, but you guys are making it so unbearably hard. I'm playing through Mario U and WWHD right now, but I want Batman in my veins so bad

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, Dini had no prior experience with VGs and AC guys did. At least that's what I tell myself to make it make sense...

I think that's part of what it comes down to. I mean looking at TAS and Heart of Hush makes it obvious he's a good writer. As it is he had little experience with videogames and then writing a solid narrative for an open world game probably isn't easy.

yeah the open world stuff is pretty awful in this. soo many things you can't grapple and so much bullshit and towers and what not you'd think this was made by Ubisoft.

Been enjoying the other stuff though.

I think that's part of what it comes down to. I mean looking at TAS and Heart of Hush makes it obvious he's a good writer. As it is he had little experience with videogames and then writing a solid narrative for an open world game probably isn't easy.

It's definitely understandable. The set up for AC is really good... but the pacing is fucked, and it feels like the ending can't breathe and begins to collapse in on itself. Just too convoluted.

AC's structure for the narrative certainly doesn't help. Feels like it meanders a lot. This is why Rocksteady's next game should abandon the 'single night' premise and have the story take place over a longer, uncompressed period of time, so they can pace it well and let the story breathe.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's definitely understandable. The set up for AC is really good... but the pacing is fucked, and it feels like the ending can't breathe and begins to collapse in on itself. Just too convoluted.

AC's structure for the narrative certainly doesn't help. Feels like it meanders a lot. This is why Rocksteady's next game should abandon the 'single night' premise and have the story take place over a longer, uncompressed period of time, so they can pace it well and let the story breathe.

I agree. It might also give us the chance for some espionage style stuff as Bruce. Have certain things available during the day and the rest at night.

AC's story wasn't bad, per say, but you are right about it needing better pacing. That said, it wasn't bad considering it was their first shot at an open world game. For all the complaints, AC's story was still far better than what we usually get in videogames.

lol yeah it was 3 bad plots/stories clashing together and the result was a complete and utter mess.

It was bad compared to Origins and Asylum, but compared to the rest of the drek that videogames try to pass off as story? Compared to that shit it was poetry.

still not entirely sure what the concussion grenades are for. Alfred made it seem like it could take out folks less painfully or something, but it still seemed like i had to beat the shit out of folks anyhow.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
still not entirely sure what the concussion grenades are for. Alfred made it seem like it could take out folks less painfully or something, but it still seemed like i had to beat the shit out of folks anyhow.

I think they can be used to sneak past people. They never seem to notice they've been hit with them until they go off. I've been using them as an opener with the glue grenades and remote claw against big mobs of guys.

Significant mid-game spoilers.

The Joker masquerading as Black Mask wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. People in other threads had dropped one sentence about it and then just started laughing, but to be frank it was handled well, foreshadowed more than adequately and was not trying to be some kind of shocking twist. It felt quite logical after the investigation work that you did leading up to it.

In general I think the investigation/detective stuff in this game is handled a lot better than the other two. I'm feeling much less like an errand boy than I did in AC especially, nor do I feel purely reactionary like in AA.

Eusis

Well, I think it's also because the games weren't handled quite the same as other standalone episodes as it were, I imagine if we had, say, a Telltale-style adventure game for Batman that he wrote he'd do a great job, or if the games just kept the scale a bit lower to be more like a two parter in a TV show or something. As is both games were probably trying to cover far too much ground, far more than can be done justice without being crazy long anyway and that'd probably require a full format change IE going into being an RPG... which actually sounds like a good idea.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Significant mid-game spoilers.

The Joker masquerading as Black Mask wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. People in other threads had dropped one sentence about it and then just started laughing, but to be frank it was handled well, foreshadowed more than adequately and was not trying to be some kind of shocking twist. It felt quite logical after the investigation work that you did leading up to it.

In general I think the investigation/detective stuff in this game is handled a lot better than the other two. I'm feeling much less like an errand boy than I did in AC especially, nor do I feel purely reactionary like in AA.

Yes, glad I'm not the only one feeling this way about the investigation stuff. I hope Rocksteady brings it over to the next game and refines it. Hunting for clues during a reconstruction is a lot of fun.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, for those deep into the game, or finished, this were released alongside Arkham City, or their placement was reversed, which do you think would be received more favorably?

I suppose it's hard to judge because the leap from Asylum to City or Origins would be greater than City/Origins to Origins/City. And the map size is x2 in Origins. But considering all other elements of the game, like the fights, boss encounters, level design and progression, open world exploration, side quests, collectibles, puzzle solving, and story, how are people finding Origins in comparison to what City did?

Does the game lock out fast travel at some point. I just left (approximately 1/3 of the way through spoilers)
GCPD
and all of the fast travel points are grayed-out.

*Never mind- restarting the game fixed it.

Goddamn this man get's it

I LOOOVE Paul Dini, but that don't excuse Arkham City's ass of a "story"
The comics they made around the game are even worse... I know, I read them all (thank goodness for public libraries!)

pa22word

So, for those deep into the game, or finished, this were released alongside Arkham City, or their placement was reversed, which do you think would be received more favorably?

I suppose it's hard to judge because the leap from Asylum to City or Origins would be greater than City/Origins to Origins/City. And the map size is x2 in Origins. But considering all other elements of the game, like the fights, boss encounters, level design and progression, open world exploration, side quests, collectibles, puzzle solving, and story, how are people finding Origins in comparison to what City did?

I'd rank AO above AC, personally. I like the aesthetic and map design of the city more, I like the combat more (it's much more engaging due to them ranking you and tying upgrades to said ranks, which actually encourages you to do well, plus enemies are much more aggressive this time around and thus actually pose a decent threat), and the story is a lot better. I'd say the bosses are on average better here, but doesn't soar as high as AC's highest (ie nothing here is as good as Mr Freeze). IMO, this is pretty much another BioShock 2 situation except the valley between AO and AC is much smaller than the one between BS2 and BS1.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

mid game here (I think) and I prefers AA to AC. I'd say if Origin was the sequel to AA it'll be consider one of best sequels of all time and might even beat Skyrim in 2011 awards, it's better paced and got better story and do open world better than AC(better map design). where AC felt unfocused, Origin feel it know what to do and it don't feel cluttered with villains and plots. I think they are about the same on sidequest so far.

demolitio

I've been looking in this thread the past few days but it's hard to sort through all the SP talk (which I know I'll love anyway) and the unmarked spoilers, so I guess I'll just ask:

How is the MP? Is it something you see yourself putting time into or is just a check-mark on the box?

Thanks.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

As far as bosses go, Origins has the better fights in general but Freeze is still the best fight by far. City has better collectibles and riddles, the combat is the same in both as is the stealth. Side quests are better in Origins though, if only because of the new detective stuff. Origin's story is probably the best in the series though. Items are a wash, City has the better disrupter but the mobile claw in origins is amazing.

Really if they could somehow combine what makes both games great, we'd come close to a perfect game. Something for the ages.

I'm just starting the final areas now, and the narrative is seriously impressive; it's closing as strong as Arkham City began. AC starts off amazing and losses its step in it's final hours due to pacing problems, and this game is the opposite, with an adequate if not very interesting beginning that gets very gripping and filled with great character moments the first half sorely lacked.

Hats off to WB montreal. Good stuff.

ScrubJay

I just hit a pretty bad glitch. I got rank 4 of Silent Vigilante or whatever it's called, but freeflow focus didn't unlock. Am I boned or is there a way to fix this?

Nori Chan

I've been looking in this thread the past few days but it's hard to sort through all the SP talk (which I know I'll love anyway) and the unmarked spoilers, so I guess I'll just ask:

How is the MP? Is it something you see yourself putting time into or is just a check-mark on the box?

Thanks.
I like it. It's neat and fun. Controls get some time to get used to. Only 4 maps though.

I think Origin is a better game, but it's also janky and rough. Personally encountered several glitches and just everything about it feels like it needs another few months of polish. A lot of animation transitions are awkward, Batman bumps into level geometry a lot more often, and I think it's a bit of a step down in UI terms. I think that critics value polish quite a bit so it's hard to say whether they would have rated it more highly or not.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think Origin is a better game, but it's also janky and rough. Personally encountered several glitches and just everything about it feels like it needs another few months of polish. A lot of animation transitions are awkward, Batman bumps into level geometry a lot more often, and I think it's a bit of a step down in UI terms. I think that critics value polish quite a bit so it's hard to say whether they would have rated it more highly or not.

I'm not entirely sure the bolded is true, it seems to change from developer to developer.

You are right about it needing another month of polish. I really hope that there's a patch soon.

SRTtoZ

I still think AC is the better game even though AO does some things better. I do not like the city as much, it seems more barrens and I cant stand the low visibility, yea I know its snowing like a bitch but still. As for AO, it has a lot more jank than AC and its pretty bug ridden. The cutscenes are much better, I like the story better and also the voice acting of batman (yea call me crazy whatever). They both do certain things better but its very hard to know if I would have liked this better since I've played AC to death (beat it on PS3/100% it on Xbox and just beat it on PC again).

jackdoe

took 6 tries or so. make sure to go free flowin' and attack guys with guns first naturally. The tricky part is counters because there are soo many enemies, but once you get a good combo going and reach x12 or w/e it is to go super speed (forgot its name), it gets easier. Focus on attacking guys with guns, get your counters. is doeable :p

Weird that there isn't an achievement or anything here.
I just ended up grinding to get that multiple enemy take down move, setting up explosive gel before initiating the fight, luring all 19 guys into the trap, and then knocked out 17 of those guys out at once. Worth it.

Smash88

Banned
I have the PC version, and the sound randomly cutting out is extremely annoying, coupled with random crashes, this game is turning out to be extremely frustrating.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just ended up grinding to get that multiple enemy take down move, setting up explosive gel before initiating the fight, luring all 19 guys into the trap, and then knocked out 17 of those guys out at once. Worth it.

Ok that's totally badass.

Ahasverus

It's official, this game has the highest highs and lowest loww of the franchise. Holy shit. The highs.
Stay for the credits. Please.

I wonder how the Wii U version compares to the others (360 and PS3). I played the first two on 360, but would consider going Wii U with Origins if there was compelling reason to do so. Everything I heard about the port of Arkham City was that it was pretty awful. :-/

I played through AC once on PS3 and once on Wii U. I didn't feel the Wii U version was worse at all...and the GamePad stuff was great. Setting waypoints on the screen was perfect.

This is making me wish AO had those features :-/

PaulloDEC

Enjoying this a lot so far. It seems like more Arkham, which is no bad thing as far as I'm concerned. If we hadn't already had Asylum and City, I've no doubt this would've been getting stellar reviews across the board.

One thing that always blows me away is how good these games look. The next generation being so close only serves as a reminder of how old the current gen hardware is, which makes the visuals even more impressive.

Sober

I only ever did the critical story ones but are any of the sidequest ones really elaborate? I mean, in AO they are pretty elaborate in scope but it still felt like hover over and hold A and listen to Batman. I was hoping you had to scrub and examine the scene from a bunch of angles to find certain clues. Sure it helps for some but I felt like for the most part Batman finds it for you pretty quickly.

Are "Crimes in Progress" required for 100% completion, or can I go ahead and ignore them?
I think I've seen one repeat, I could be wrong. They probably do since one of the Dark Knight ranking systems requires you do a crime in progress after something. I'm somehow still behind on that (it's like rank 4 or something, god).

Thanks.
I like it. It's neat and fun. Controls get some time to get used to. Only 4 maps though.
Thanks for the info. But only 4 maps? wowowow

Just finished it. I'd rate it even with city. The improvements like fast travel are mitigated by a fair bit of jank, and it moves the amazing half of the game to the back, instead of the front.

So all in all, an incredible game. Fantastic fun.

Thanks.

I hate it. Gunmen move slow as hell normally and dash like a lightning bolt when sprinting. Feedback is very poor so it's hard to tell what's happening to you. Camera feels too zoomed in. Matchmaking is atrocious with no option for parties to be on the same team. Lobby has to be full to start and multiple times I sat for minutes on end waiting for that last player to show up. Objectives aren't clear and I found the overall experience to be very muddy. On-screen objective prompts and such get in the way frequently. Also only four maps and one game mode. Stealth killing as Batman or Robin is fun though, but more fun in single player since the game is tuned better around having those abilities. You could probably derive some enjoyment out of it if you really stick with it and learn everything, but the lack of content diminishes any staying power the game might have in the first place.

It reminded me of Gears 2 with its slow ass movement speed and matchmaking problems.

idk what I'm going to do about single player. Losing my save file only a few hours from the end of the game kills my motivation to play it. Heard about some other freezing issues on another forum. Maybe I'll just wait for another patch.

Jesus, I waste so much time in these games, I gotta get a move on with the story before everyone's done having discussion over it haha. Played about 14 hours now and the % is saying 19% haha. Last night I sat down with the intent of just doing some story misisons and I ended up doing all bar two crimes in the top challenge in the Gotham Protector track instead. Storywise I've just did the
Hatter
sequence. I absolutely love the story to this game so far. I love the CSI crime scene stuff both as a gameplay mechanic and s way of revealing what's really going in in the plot. As much as I love Conroy, I love this guy's take on a younger batman.

Top Bottom