• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

CryptiK

Ok I'm getting super frustrated now I think my game is buggy as hell. I just finished the ship and met
Anarky and destroyed the bomb after that there is no longer a green maker on the map to find the murder scene :S and my Objective is just "Find Black Mask"
WTF!

Played maybe the first 2-3 hours and it's very clear that the Rocksteady team had much better taste/sensibilities. The dialogue is awful, as are most of the non-Batman voice actors. Seems like they've given every final goon in an encounter some horrifically unfunny line. And where the score of Arkham City felt like it was up there with Zimmer, this sounds more like one of those direct to video DC animated soundtracks.

Gameplay is fine, if it's just more of the same I'll be happy. But in my limited time with the game it seems like most of the non-mechanical elements that I loved about the last one are gone.

DrBo42

Played maybe the first 2-3 hours and it's very clear that the Rocksteady team had much better taste/sensibilities. The dialogue is awful, as are most of the non-Batman voice actors. Seems like they've given every final goon in an encounter some horrifically unfunny line. And where the score of Arkham City felt like it was up there with Zimmer, this sounds more like one of those direct to video DC animated soundtracks.

Gameplay is fine, if it's just more of the same I'll be happy. But in my limited time with the game it seems like most of the non-mechanical elements that I loved about the last one are gone.

I feel the complete opposite on everything you've described.

The dialogue, at least from bruce, gets better. I disagree when it comes to the music, however. The music is fantastic, and barely edges out the arkham city score, which I thought was also very good. The christmas motif helps a lot.

Vitor711

I feel the complete opposite on everything you've described.

I think the City's kinda of horrible. I liked the visual design of AC, but here everything looks drab and the levels feel like fighting arenas connected by corridors instead of actual places, something that Rocksteady never had problems with.

I do love the new crime scene stuff and the story seems more coherent (although I annoyingly caught a spoiler for the first 4 hours a few days ago) but there's something about the look that I just find so bland.

The city completely lacks personality and every district looks identical. Also really wish that the random crimes were more than just 'go here to fight dudes'. The lack of civilians really makes it feel like Arkham instead of Gotham too.

Siegmeyer

Apologies if this has been answered already, but how is the combat in this game? How much has been altered since AC? New animations? Any new mechanics? Is it better/worse/more of the same?

Played the shit out of AA and AC, putting ridiculous amounts of hours into the combat rooms. No doubt I'll be buying this at some point, it's just a question of when. If they've improved it a lot, I need it TODAY. If it's more of the same I can hang on until after xmas.

Dr Dogg

Alright a day late but finally got my hands on this (yeah cheers postie!). Would have got cracking this morning if it wasn't for the bazilliion dlc codes in the box. Been hiding from this thread as not to spoil anything but like any curios so and so been peeking my head in now and then. Initial impressions sound good though.

SJRB

Gold Member
I was wondering - who are all these thugs I keep beating to a pulp? Some of them are Black Mask's thugs, some Penguin's and some corrupt SWAT officers. Most haven't got any affiliation though. In fact, most of them aren't doing anything illegal besides standing outside.

The thought of a random group of neighbours standing outside and suddenly having Batman swooping down and beating them into submission just because they broke curfew cracks me up haha.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
Really annoyed... played about 8 hours yesterday and went to resume my save today only to find whenever it loads batman is falling on the spot, and keeps falling through the architecture and glitches out. I cant immediately rb to grapple anything, and I cant use fast travel somewhere as I am in a building. Very disheartening as I qas enjoying it up until now. Not too psyched to start another save slot just to have it do it again later.

SkylineRKR

I think Origin is a better game, but it's also janky and rough. Personally encountered several glitches and just everything about it feels like it needs another few months of polish. A lot of animation transitions are awkward, Batman bumps into level geometry a lot more often, and I think it's a bit of a step down in UI terms. I think that critics value polish quite a bit so it's hard to say whether they would have rated it more highly or not.

City is better polished for sure. My main issue with Origins is how rough it is compared to Asylum and City.

Nabs

Ok I'm getting super frustrated now I think my game is buggy as hell. I just finished the ship and met
Anarky and destroyed the bomb after that there is no longer a green maker on the map to find the murder scene :S and my Objective is just "Find Black Mask"
WTF!

I had the same problem.
fast travel to Coventry and look for the roof with the mobile dish. It should be right there.

Eusis

But what I dont understand is where is Rocksteady taking this game next?

It cant be Gotham City again.
It can be, but we can't be just grappling and gliding all over the place. They already realized a good chunk of the promise Batman & Robin PS1 couldn't fulfill, next-gen we can probably get a full Gotham City we can drive or even fly around.

... They probably could've done that this generation, but I'm guessing it'll help to have more system resources on hand to keep performance good without compromising gameplay.

AHA-Lambda

Has there been any word on a patch or fix to correct the tower bug?

The Riddler story is impossible to complete the way this is.

strafer

It can be, but we can't be just grappling and gliding all over the place. They already realized a good chunk of the promise Batman & Robin PS1 couldn't fulfill, next-gen we can probably get a full Gotham City we can drive or even fly around.

... They probably could've done that this generation, but I'm guessing it'll help to have more system resources on hand to keep performance good without compromising gameplay.

Oh shit.. that's right, drive around in your Batmobile. HELL YEAH:

SJRB

Gold Member
Oh shit.. that's right, drive around in your Batmobile. HELL YEAH:

That would be the next logical step: a fully-fledged Gotham City with civilians, vehicles, everything.

Keep the verticality from Origins and the gothic art and design from Asylum/City, and just make it a proper sandboxer. Because I agree with others - Gotham in Origins just feels "off" because of how empty it is.

strafer

That would be the next logical step: a fully-fledged Gotham City with civilians, vehicles, everything.

Keep the verticality from Origins and the gothic art and design from Asylum/City, and just make it a proper sandboxer. Because I agree with others - Gotham in Origins just feels "off" because of how empty it is.

Grand Theft Batman <.<

I want to see a ridiculously large crowd running in the streets from
Scarecrow's fear toxin
. And interactive, at that.

ekim

I suddenly got 3 steam trading cards for this game in my inventory. I have no idea how I earned them. The characters from the cards I haven't even met yet in the game.

Remmy2112

Which bug?

The Burnley comms tower has a bug. Once you disable the jammer you get locked in and have to use the batclaw on a very high grate. Problem is once you grapple up to the grate you CANNOT climb into it, causing you to get stuck in the area.

I suddenly got 3 steam trading cards for this game in my inventory. I have no idea how I earned them. The characters from the cards I haven't even met yet in the game.

That is the Steam trading card system. Many games on Steam have trading cards. Get all of them and you can craft a badge. The cards are awarded randomly by spending time in applicable games, even if you aren't doing anything, and are randomly assigned so you can get duplicates. Each game has a set number of card drops you can get, usually half the total number of cards for the game. You can also sell them on the marketplace.

The Burnley comms tower has a bug. Once you disable the jammer you get locked in and have to use the batclaw on a very high grate. Problem is once you grapple up to the grate you CANNOT climb into it, causing you to get stuck in the area.

Yeah it wasn't the tower I was thinking of. Cant remember which district but there's another tower that locks you inside after deactivating the jammer and I couldn't find a way out except for fast travelling from the roof. I think the bugged tower is a different one.

O.DOGG

I hate the combat in this game. Can't seem to get a hang of it. Getting my ass handed to me by the
second group of Bane henchmen when I'm following his signal down in the sewers.

I hate the combat in this game. Can't seem to get a hang of it. Getting my ass handed to me by the
second group of Bane henchmen when I'm following his signal down in the sewers.

Stun (B/O) is a powerful tool if you aren't dealing with ranged attacks. Stun an enemy and beat on him with strikes. If an enemy approaches, counter them, then resume beating on the stunned enemy. For ranged attacks, keep evading over enemies until you can strike them and make them drop their weapon.

SkylineRKR

Ugh, this needed more time in the oven. The Ps3 framerate was diving into the single digits when I went for the second bomb. The fast travel scene doesn't even show properly and the music starts to skip as well. HDD is constantly loading, which seems to cause it.

Its a great game but the performance is really bringing it down..

pa22word

Stun (B/O) is a powerful tool if you aren't dealing with ranged attacks. Stun an enemy and beat on him with strikes. If an enemy approaches, counter them, then resume beating on the stunned enemy. For ranged attacks, keep evading over enemies until you can strike them and make them drop their weapon.

He can also use quick batclaw (lt+Y on 360 pad) to close the distance on ranged mooks by pulling them towards him, but be careful, because batman has a few frames where he's vulnerable and can't counter during the process. Alternatively, you can throw a concussion round (lt +b) at them from afar and stun them temporarily, but they take a few secs and thus aren't as immediate as the batclaw.

Played for an hour or last night and what really stuck with me is how much of an asshole Bruce/Batman is in this. The talk with the warden at the beginning was just pure grade A asshole. No sympathy, no attempt to console him, just pure asshole.

Gameplay is fantastic though and the visuals seem to be even better than those in City. Hopefully I'll have more time to play today between sessions of Blackgate and Beyond...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Played for an hour or last night and what really stuck with me is how much of an asshole Bruce/Batman is in this. The talk with the warden at the beginning was just pure grade A asshole. No sympathy, no attempt to console him, just pure asshole.

That's funny, I thought that Conroy in AA/AC was a smug twat, myself.

So why the hell did they swap the shoulder buttons in the PS3 version? Here I am in combat, there's a guy on the other side of the room and I can't reach him so I'll just whip out a batarang. "Environment analysis, no subject detected." Combo reset. Fuck.

ekim

So I just beat the guy who has thrown that other guy from the roof at Jezabel Plaza. What now? There is no story icon on the map...

Chariot

OMG, can somebody help me? At one point in the game the framerate just drops down so hart, its not playable. Had no problems so far, smooth 60 fps gameplay until now. I set everything down I could, but I think it just got worse.
Its after defeating Firefly.
In Blackgate. First parts worked good and in the room with the first Joker Goons framerate started to drop. After that it got worse and worse. The fight with the many prisoners was then unbereable. Anyone got similiar problems?

Origins definitely feels better than City, other than some really cringeworthy one-liners from Batman.

I am playing the Wii U version (my PC ran Asylum and City like shit, so I didn't trust Origins), and while it's unstable as fuck, it's still really good.

Ragus

Banned
Man, why did they even bother with making such a big city, when it feels so lifeless? Quality, over quantity, dear WB.

Arkham Asylums still has the best hub from all 3 games.

On the other hand, closed locations are very stellar and so far I really like this game.

Oh, and it may be the best looking game which I have ever played.

ipOGLn8WJsuOB.png

Oh yeah, I've a question for those who've finished:

I
s there another Deathstroke fight? I'd be pretty disappointed if we only fought him that one time that early in the game.

Hixx

So the (side mission character)
Mad Hatter
mission is bugged, right? I get on the platform on the water, shoot my hook and the platform will not move when I pull. Restarted checkpoint 4 times and no progress.

Or am I missing a trick?

witness

Bought this off Amazon, ps3, this morning. I was going to wait for black friday but this thread convinced me to not wait. Any chance the Deathstroke code is still included?

So the (side mission character)
Mad Hatter
mission is bugged, right? I get on the platform on the water, shoot my hook and the platform will not move when I pull. Restarted checkpoint 4 times and no progress.

Or am I missing a trick?

Nah, it's buggy. I had to menu, restart checkpoint a few times to get the platform to land in the water right.

JakeD

I was wondering - who are all these thugs I keep beating to a pulp? Some of them are Black Mask's thugs, some Penguin's and some corrupt SWAT officers. Most haven't got any affiliation though. In fact, most of them aren't doing anything illegal besides standing outside.

The thought of a random group of neighbours standing outside and suddenly having Batman swooping down and beating them into submission just because they broke curfew cracks me up haha.

haha i had that same thought. its like "why do i want to glide kick those guys? they are just standing around." at least in arkham city it made sense. they were in the middle of a prison riot technically

it would be great to drop into a group of "thugs" and start punching only to realize to just knocked out grandma doing some last minute christmas shopping

bryehn

Any notable differences between PS3/360?

I played the others on PS3 because of the extra content, but will be packing it away soon to make room for my Xbone.

Top Bottom