• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman [Mafia] |OT| The mafia game Gafia deserves , but not the one it needs

The fact that you had to jokingly cough while giving two off the wall examples shows that I'm not revealing enough for good guesses to be thrown out :p

But no, it is a wind-up in the purest sense of the word. I don't know if that helps massage your worries but I haven't actually taken any type of action (like copying someone, throwing gas on someone, or delivering a doll). I've been effectively a vanilla townie for N1 and N2 in terms of sitting at home and picking my nose for the whole night phase.

Not going to pull a Launch here, but I think it's fairly obvious what Sorian is if you think about it

I really don't have enough mafia history
To figure out what's with this role claim mystery.
I don't need to know
what you can get to go....
But Is it positive/negative twistery?

Fireblend

Banned
Come on guys, don't despair, let's keep our head in the game. Kark dropping out sucks, but we're playing a game, we're here to have a fun time. Roy took his time to make this cool game for us, so let's give him and the specs a good show. No getting demoralized. Looking at you Xam.

And, we're gonna win, anyway.

---

Still busy, will chime in with more substance later, hopefully (I don't really have anything grandiose to say to continue what seems to be today's theme, but I'll be happy to throw in my 2c on ongoing affairs :p)

Sorian

Banned
I really don't have enough mafia history
To figure out what's with this role claim mystery.
I don't need to know
what you can get to go....
But Is it positive/negative twistery?

Ty4on is hinting/joking that I am either a disguiser or arsonist (he mentions dolls because we had a role that was the exact same as an arsonist in functionality but the person gave out dolls that had bombs in them).

A disguiser is someone who scans another player and then can become them, sometimes copying their abilities, sometimes just showing up as them when investigated.

An arsonist is a (usually) neutral killing role. You spend a bunch of nights doing a thing (dousing people in gas is the normal flavor) and on any night phase you may choose to ignite that gas, killing everyone who has been doused.

Past the history lesson, it's not negative but I can't promise amazing results though I'm hoping for the best.

Ty4on is hinting/joking that I am either a disguiser or arsonist (he mentions dolls because we had a role that was the exact same as an arsonist in functionality but the person gave out dolls that had bombs in them).

A disguiser is someone who scans another player and then can become them, sometimes copying their abilities, sometimes just showing up as them when investigated.

An arsonist is a (usually) neutral killing role. You spend a bunch of nights doing a thing (dousing people in gas is the normal flavor) and on any night phase you may choose to ignite that gas, killing everyone who has been doused.

Past the history lesson, it's not negative but I can't promise amazing results though I'm hoping for the best.

This is weird to me. I'm afraid of mentioning it in case there's a buzzer that goes off when I type it out, but I've not seen the indication of the 7/10 on the Crab scale
*bzzzt*
yet in terms of roles. Are all the crazy roles mafia/neutral?

Sorian

Banned
I'm at odds with my curiosity of what characters are in the game and actually playing this game effectively.

I really am Azrael for your curiosity. No fuckery there. The Toymaster question does make me laugh though since I did keep saying wind-up. I went with the same wording in a post from earlier today when Xam brought up abilities being on cooldowns and I purposely brought up abilities that may need a warm-up period because of my own.

Sounds like Sorian is no vigilante.
A shame; it could really up the ante
To lynch one scum,
Shoot another one.
We'd have two tries to find the right man. Heehee.

Sorian

Banned
This is weird to me. I'm afraid of mentioning it in case there's a buzzer that goes off when I type it out, but I've not seen the indication of the 7/10 on the Crab scale
*bzzzt*
yet in terms of roles. Are all the crazy roles mafia/neutral?

There was a debacle in Love Boat where discussion in a particular day phase devolved into super meta narrative on what could and could not be in the promised 5/10 for that game. It was decided that going forward, mods would be more vague with the numbering so Roy is saying this game is a 6-7/10 which is just basically, there might be some weird stuff but nothing bastard. Something to keep in mind before you start trying to guess what is and is not in the game based on Crab's aging system.

There was a debacle in Love Boat where discussion in a particular day phase devolved into super meta narrative on what could and could not be in the promised 5/10 for that game. It was decided that going forward, mods would be more vague with the numbering so Roy is saying this game is a 6-7/10 which is just basically, there might be some weird stuff but nothing bastard. Something to keep in mind before you start trying to guess what is and is not in the game based on Crab's aging system.

I wouldn't want to waste too much time on it, anyway. I'm just musing.

Maybe the best thing to start on right now
Is seeing what happened to talky talks vote. How
Bout everyone vote.
We quickly devote
Some time to picking our options to lynch. Meow.

Camjo-Z

Please tell me that was some more RL stuff and not a ragequit.

Either way, still voting Kark. It's between him and Sorian for me at this point and I'd rather get rid of the guy who's been literally and figuratively barking up the wrong tree at every opportunity the entire game. Even if he somehow flips town, just about any night kill mafia tries to make will confirm my suspicions of somebody else.

Sorian

Banned
Bout everyone vote.
We quickly devote

The hoops you are jumping through for these votes is amazing.

Back on topic, I am curious if I am the only one that was screwed with vote wise but with all of this....err....let's say varying activity levels (I'm calling out you quiet people), I'm not sure how we'd do a mass vote and unvote. What I would rather say is people should start putting their money where their mouth is. We have a number of votes out already and there was nothing weird last time Roy posted a vote count, as long as everyone participates then we will see any issues

Coppanuva

The thing I don't get about Kark is what was up with his play early on in D1? He kept claiming Batman things with his statements about "Batman doesn't kill" (admittedly, I'm not sure if Ace the Bathound kills or not), and going way out of his way to make his presence known. If he really is a roleblocker, why did he try to make himself such an obvious target to scum so early? Was he simply banking on scum letting him live for his questionable behavior in forcing ties or was it really a gambit to watch moves?

Bout everyone vote.
We quickly devote

I'm having trouble deciphering these..

Please tell me that was some more RL stuff and not a ragequit.

Either way, still voting Kark. It's between him and Sorian for me at this point and I'd rather get rid of the guy who's been literally and figuratively barking up the wrong tree at every opportunity the entire game. Even if he somehow flips town, just about any night kill mafia tries to make will confirm my suspicions of somebody else.

I won't be following through with this until I see who the replacement is and what they plan to do. For right now, I am back to AB, Coppa, and Ty4on for my vote.

UNVOTE

Ty4on

The thing I don't get about Kark is what was up with his play early on in D1? He kept claiming Batman things with his statements about "Batman doesn't kill" (admittedly, I'm not sure if Ace the Bathound kills or not), and going way out of his way to make his presence known. If he really is a roleblocker, why did he try to make himself such an obvious target to scum so early? Was he simply banking on scum letting him live for his questionable behavior in forcing ties or was it really a gambit to watch moves?
Was he really an obvious target? He was very visible and kinda scummy with that behavior. Power roles are also more likely to be quiet.

Sorian

Banned
I'm having trouble deciphering these..

I'm talky talks (as a part of retro's april fools, he changed my name on OG to Mister Talky Talks) and I think she is getting at that she is wondering if someone stole my vote, as in they now have a vote that counts as a double. The Joker logic seems sound so I highly doubt it'll be as easy as someone having two votes and they are the scum but hey, who knows.

roytheone

Day 3 votes

sorian (0)
pop-o-matic 1934 (1993)

launchpadmcq (1)

ty4on 1990

ty4on (0)
launchpadmcq 1939 (2031)

coppanuva (1)

xamtheking 2030

el topo (1)
ty4on 1989 (1990)
pop-o-matic 1993

karkador (2)
weemadarthur 2042
camjo-z 2050
launchpadmcq 2031 (2169)

Why did the owl like coding? Because of the bugs!(1)
Sorian

8 votes are needed for majority!
bla_1459976400.png

I'm talky talks (as a part of retro's april fools, he changed my name on OG to Mister Talky Talks) and I think she is getting at that she is wondering if someone stole my vote, as in they now have a vote that counts as a double. The Joker logic seems sound so I highly doubt it'll be as easy as someone having two votes and they are the scum but hey, who knows.

Oh, I see. So she's telling us to all vote and see who the odd man out is.

I'm also back at looking at Absolut again (again because I have to accept him as the sequel to Flux). This is his only real post from the day so far. He's in the shuffle with Launch's "ability" so he is obviously a person of interest from that perspective but this post rubs me the wrong way. It presents scenarios but is careful not to choose a side, it even probes a bit to see what the climate looks like on Launch. Obviously, if he were scum, he could just ask him teammates what the climate is like but like it or not, subbing into a game gives a little bit of a cushion. Play it up a bit in that you are caught up but might have missed some nuances and people might sympathize with you. It certainly wouldn't be the first time. He could also just be the neutral which would explain away the "why ask us when you could ask your team" question. The post just reads to me like trying to push that Launch might be suspicious or that the list might hurt more than help because it is a rabbithole to take Launch at face value and just lynch from his list until we find something. It throws more suspicion on the whole exercise which would be in his best interest if he is non-town.
I readily admit I was questioning the whole exercise, and gauging the temperature on Launch. As I said, even reading a game thread in progress isn't really a substitute for being there from the start. I'm looking back with biased knowledge; not much, admittedly, in this game but biased nonetheless. I know the alignment of several people (Fluxwave and the dead players) whose alignments were unknown at the time. Launch hasn't really done anything to make me suspicious of what he says he did, for what that's worth.

And I questioned it for the exact reason I said: it's a list of 4 players with one supposedly "not-town" in the mix. If we, as town, hunt down that list without question we could possibly waste several lynches on town players while scum players are getting night kills further diminishing town numbers.

Incidentally, this answers the question of "why would scum want to jump on that vote/plan?": because if it comes back as an all town list then we have a MUCH smaller pool of lynch targets.

I'm willing to go through with a vote on one of the players on that list. I'm town, so for me that narrows it down to Coppa, Ty40n and not-Karkador.

I don't get real strong feelings from Coppa or Ty40n, but before throwing my vote on not-Karkador I'll wait for someone to fill their shoes as it were.

I am Harvey Bullock. My ability is a sort of stakeout ability where I choose someone during the first night phase, watch someone over the day phase, and receive a message during the following night phase. This message tells me whether or not there were any non-town players who voted for this player.

Question: You say you "choose someone during the first night phase, watch someone over the day phase, and receive a message during the following night phase."
What does "watch someone over the day phase" actually mean? Is it just fluff?

I readily admit I was questioning the whole exercise, and gauging the temperature on Launch. As I said, even reading a game thread in progress isn't really a substitute for being there from the start. I'm looking back with biased knowledge; not much, admittedly, in this game but biased nonetheless. I know the alignment of several people (Fluxwave and the dead players) whose alignments were unknown at the time. Launch hasn't really done anything to make me suspicious of what he says he did, for what that's worth.

And I questioned it for the exact reason I said: it's a list of 4 players with one supposedly "not-town" in the mix. If we, as town, hunt down that list without question we could possibly waste several lynches on town players while scum players are getting night kills further diminishing town numbers.

Incidentally, this answers the question of "why would scum want to jump on that vote/plan?": because if it comes back as an all town list then we have a MUCH smaller pool of lynch targets.

I'm willing to go through with a vote on one of the players on that list. I'm town, so for me that narrows it down to Coppa, Ty40n and not-Karkador.

I don't get real strong feelings from Coppa or Ty40n, but before throwing my vote on not-Karkador I'll wait for someone to fill their shoes as it were.

Hmm. I'm not sure if you're getting at this point from what you said, but maybe putting a pin in the list would be for the better. The list does give us a small pool to work with, but you're right; we can spend multiple lynches on it. It may prove more useful later on in the game. For right now, the townies on that list are probably safe because scum knows I'm telling the truth about my claim and they wouldn't want to expose their allies; also, I'll probably be safe for now as they don't want to confirm my role to town. However, if we can get to any of the scum on that list by other means (by proving causality between roles and actions), it would give town an overall higher degree of certainty for a lynch later on.

Question: You say you "choose someone during the first night phase, watch someone over the day phase, and receive a message during the following night phase."
What does "watch someone over the day phase" actually mean? Is it just fluff?

It's fluff. I just receive a list; I stake the player out.

Sorian

Banned
I won't be following through with this until I see who the replacement is and what they plan to do. For right now, I am back to AB, Coppa, and Ty4on for my vote.

UNVOTE

So, from your perspective, one of these 4 is non-town and you are now backing out of the Kark one until the replacement pops in. What do you plan to do from here?

Camjo-Z

Was looking back through Karu's posts and I noticed this:

Now... about Kark...

I think as Scum he might have gotten cold feet as it became apparent Launch doesn't to give it all (his reasoning was sound in my estimation, which is why I'm inclined to believe him) and wanted him specifically on his list and thus Sorian might have a case.

Is he Town, though, him questioning Launch like that is nothing more than imperative. At that point Launch's wonky claim came "out of nowhere" and you don't want to follow such a set-up blindly - one scum did, though. Besides Kark the other Votes were quite confident going along with the plan, which is the one thing that takes me back a bit.

Indeed, you wouldn't want to follow such a set-up blindly... yet previously, when Launch asked if there could be a fourth vote on me yesterday:

i would be willing to participate, but I'm also the sixth vote on Mazre...

What made you suddenly change your opinion on Launch's plan? Yesterday you were ready to switch your vote to be on it if someone would take your place on Mazre, but today you're "taken aback" by others who were also eager to join in?

Ty4on

VOTE: Coppanuva
Vote: Camjo-z

I may pull it off if I don't like where this is headed, but in the meantime, you have my vote. Unfortunately I'll be a bit sparse this morning since I'm answering calls until like... an hour before deadline but I'll try to participate as my schedule allows.
Meh, I needed a vote down. I'm still not sure I want either lynched today, but if I have to pick one of the two I'd honestly prefer Camjo. I'm also curious where Launch's thing goes.

Now that we know, can you be more open about your thoughts behind yesterday's vote? I don't like how you jumped in.

So, from your perspective, one of these 4 is non-town and you are now backing out of the Kark one until the replacement pops in. What do you plan to do from here?

I'm going to have to go back through things and find something. I'm not really sure I want to drop off these 4 suspects, but we need to find something before we even begin dwindling them down.

Sorian

Banned
Was looking back through Karu's posts and I noticed this:

Indeed, you wouldn't want to follow such a set-up blindly... yet previously, when Launch asked if there could be a fourth vote on me yesterday:

What made you suddenly change your opinion on Launch's plan? Yesterday you were ready to switch your vote to be on it if someone would take your place on Mazre, but today you're "taken aback" by others who were also eager to join in?

I like this line of inquiry and while I'm not going to move my vote from Kark because 1) it doesn't matter since my name doesn't even show as a token vote where I want it to be anyway and 2) I'm drawing a line in the sand because with or without Kark sitting in that role, I think it is scum, I'll be watching this conversation intently.

Coppanuva

VOTE: Coppanuva

Now that we know, can you be more open about your thoughts behind yesterday's vote? I don't like how you jumped in.

What specifically do you not like? Launch had asked for a 3rd person to jump in, nobody was jumping in, and I decided I could fill that role. As I said, I wasn't able to be around at day's end. I figured since I might not be able to react to any last-minute claims, I might as well put myself on the person who Launch had requested he have votes on since that wouldn't change.

Ty4on

What specifically do you not like? Launch had asked for a 3rd person to jump in, nobody was jumping in, and I decided I could fill that role. As I said, I wasn't able to be around at day's end. I figured since I might not be able to react to any last-minute claims, I might as well put myself on the person who Launch had requested he have votes on since that wouldn't change.
Back then you said you would pull out if you didn't like where it was heading and that you would try to be there for the day's end. You even said "but in the meantime, you have my vote." I'm pushing on this because with this reply to my question you made the vote look like it was set in stone, but it didn't look like that back then.

You also seemed to voice some concern which I'm curious about.

Ty4on

Fixed phrasing:
I'm bringing this up because you make it sound like the vote was set in stone when you seemed very uncertain yesterday.

Fireblend

Banned
Ok, I'm super sleepy and don't have that much to say, but I still feel like I owe you guys putting my thoughts on writing so here goes.

I think trusting Topo is a safe move, as well as pursuing Launch's group of 4. I wouldn't say I'd be particularly sad about any of the players in that group getting lynched, either. I had my very strong doubts about Flux, who AB represents now, and despite me not having a very strong read on him there's the fact that Flux acted in really funny ways D1. Ty is pretty much a null-read for me, Coppa I haven't particularly followed (maybe I wrote a short post on him yesterday?) but I can definitely see why people are voting him now and know Sorian has been on his trail for most of the game so I can get behind that.

Kark is a weird scenario. I sided with him yesterday and thought the batcomputer stuff was a clever way to fish for reactions and have something to look back on, and he even got serious yesterday when he dropped his roleplaying act and started backing up what he'd done with arguments I found appealing, but I find it difficult not to side with Sorian's argument early today pointing him as the most suspicious, and his hostility is also off-putting, trying to put aside my thoughts on what it would mean if he was scum who exited the game so suddenly... I would rank Coppa or Ty as better lynch alternatives today because I'd like someone to come in in Kark's place and give them a fighting chance, but as I said I wouldn't lose any sleep over a Kark lynch. Specially the Ty-Coppa argument that's going on would seem to give us a good 2-for-1 read on half of the group, and gives ty some credibility.

Outside that group, Pop and Karu stick out as the obvious low-hanging alternatives. But then again I don't think there's any reason to venture outside of those 4.

Xam is starting to grow on me; he seems to be genuinely trying now and that's good. Sorian... I feel like he'd be a lot more driven today if he was scum, but he seems a little lost and truly doing his best to generate discussion so I see no reason to suspect him.

I know I'm placing a ton of faith in Launch, but his claim feels well thought-out. Still, that's hardly any confirmation of anything. It also worries me that he was arguing for Camjo being cleared by TL instead of Topo, agreeing with Coppa early today, but I'm not sure why he'd have done that whole "trust me" bit yesterday as scum if scum chat was indeed disabled.

Generally unsure about Camjo.

Wee is a little too good at her limericks.

Coppanuva

Back then you said you would pull out if you didn't like where it was heading and that you would try to be there for the day's end. You even said "but in the meantime, you have my vote." I'm pushing on this because with this reply to my question you made the vote look like it was set in stone, but it didn't look like that back then.

You also seemed to voice some concern which I'm curious about.

I mean, I was a bit unsure then if I would keep it on when I placed it, but as the days have progressed I feel more comfortable with it. As for the slight hesitation, yes I admit I was. Mafia is a game about lying and being able to tell who's telling the truth or not. As such, I wasn't 100% sure I could trust Launch, hence the slight concern. Now, he seems ok.

I have a few questions for you:
Why were you so willing to comply with Kark's wishes yesterday? You asked if he wanted to swap out, then when he said "No, come in the group instead" you went along with it. Prior to that, you hadn't talked about your opinion of him much in this game.

Sorian

Banned
Just wanted to pop in before I go to bed. I've been following (all 6 lol) of the posts since my last one but was a bit busy. Fire's post is a good one. It mirrors a lot of my sentiment except I'm still on board with Camjo probably being town and I'm still hesitant to trust Launch though cases where his list intersects with already shady individuals is hardly a waste of time. Still waiting patiently for Karu to get back to Camjo. Although I won't have vote say in the matter, I do believe our time is best spent lynching Kark, Absolut, Coppa, or Karu. All of them are good shots IMO but I think I would prefer Kark or Absolut only because one being scum clears the other in my mind (post that went out right after Roy announced Kark's departure details why I think that). I honestly think Kark is the scum but turning the crowd on an empty role will probably be difficult, you all know I'll try anyway though.

I'm not just asking the vodka bottle.
But why does the emptiness kill your throttle?
If we would lynch kark
Then, meaning no snark:
Lynching his corpse saves Roy time, Aristotle.

Karu

i would be willing to participate, but I'm also the sixth vote on Mazre...
I didn't change my mind "suddenly". If you look deeper into my history (I can dig it up later, though myself), when Launch first came up with the plan I already mentioned that I was willing to participate - depending on how the rest of the Day goes.

Now we definitely now what Launch's power was and that there is Scum in the group. Now I have to evaluate that situation based on those information. Just because I was willing to participate, doesn't mean it should eliminate my options to judge what we do have now.

roytheone

Effective immediately, gryvan will be replacing Karkador!

In order to help him catch up with the thread, the game will be temporarily suspended for a 24 hour period. Posting is not allowed during this period!

However, I will allow people with their vote currently on Karkador to recast their vote on gryvan to fix the vote tool.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Day 3 resumes in:
bla_1459933200.png

You sure?

Alright guys, I think it comes down to what we want to do today: go down my list or pursue other targets. I'll adjust my strategy based on the discussion.

Sorian

Banned
You sure?

Alright guys, I think it comes down to what we want to do today: go down my list or pursue other targets. I'll adjust my strategy based on the discussion.

They aren't mutually exclusive choices. You have people on your list that are also suspicious and would make good lynch candidates.

VOTE: gryvan

Something's bugging me... the 24 hour hiatus. Why was this done for one specific player? For the record, I'm not looking for an answer to this nor do I want discussion past "it's best not to think about it", but it's bugging me.

Also, yeah, I don't think I have to bring up that Kark was a suspicious cat to begin with. We've already discussed this, he was on my list, nothing's changed.

Karu

Something's bugging me... the 24 hour hiatus. Why was this done for one specific player? For the record, I'm not looking for an answer to this nor do I want discussion past "it's best not to think about it", but it's bugging me.

I guess you can't just drop players in at this point especially if gryvan told him, that he doesn't want to just pop in. Wouldn't read too much into it, especially since it seems shady to begin with.

Top Bottom