• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman R.I.P.: an Official Thread for Speculation, Discussion, and "OMGWTF" Hysteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ephemeris said:
I just thought it was just some random hero or something. First, it's a cemetery in Metropolis [IE, why would he be buried there].

Oh yeah I do remember noticing that and noting that it probably wasn't Bruce then, being that it was in Metropolis. Thanks for reminding me. So it probably isn't Bruce then.

ZeoVGM

Banned
jla_cv31.jpg

March's JLA.

So what does this mean? I'm thinking it's three characters walking away from the DCU. Superman is going into space. Batman is "dying". Wonder Woman is..?

Penguin

omg rite said:
http://i.livescience.com/images/jla_cv31.jpg

March's JLA.

So what does this mean? I'm thinking it's three characters walking away from the DCU. Superman is going into space. Batman is "dying". Wonder Woman is..?

It could have something to do with the recent JLA where Black Canary called the Big Three for electing her to "lead" the JLA while they still met in their secret location controlling the group.

Or it could be that, but if they really wanted the impact should have tied into the end of Trinity which deals with the importance the big 3 have to the DCU.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Penguin said:
It could have something to do with the recent JLA where Black Canary called the Big Three for electing her to "lead" the JLA while they still met in their secret location controlling the group.

Maybe, but the solicitation says it deals with the fallout of Final Crisis (finally). And since that's after R.I.P, I assume this will be the first post-R.I.P. JLA.

I never really thought about how someone new being Batman would affect the Justice League. I can't see Dick playing a big role in JLA. He'll have his hands full in Gotham.

Tamanon

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
I never really thought about how someone new being Batman would affect the Justice League. I can't see Dick playing a big role in JLA. He'll have his hands full in Gotham.

Eh Batman always had his hands full with Gotham and was still in the JLA. He'll probably be one of those part-time members.

Penguin

ToyMachine228 said:

I don't know I see Dick being a more graceful member of the JLA.

Batman has that attitude about him and the whole lack of trusting people.

omg rite said:
jla_cv31.jpg

March's JLA.

Wasn't this the exact plot of 52?

MisterHero

silly question time

but has Batwoman made any sort of real impact on the Batfamily yet? I honestly haven't seen her since 52. :lol

Ephemeris

Spike Spiegel said:
Isn't there supposed to be a new Justice League team anyway?

e04g9g.jpg

No one's commenting on the, er.. GIANT GORILLA in the picture? :lol
Because there is one.
MisterHero said:
silly question time

but has Batwoman made any sort of real impact on the Batfamily yet? I honestly haven't seen her since 52. :lol

The answer is No. :lol

MisterHero said:
silly question time

She's in Rucka's FC crossover (barely) but they've had her on the shelf until they know what to do with her. Hopefully that includes some real quality time with Rucka!

Yeah, I'd really guess than Batman, Robin, and Nightwing will all be missing from the JLA and Teen Titans for the immediate future with all the changes coming.

That said...Robin #181 this week, and Batman #683 the week after that!

FRANK’S BACK ON BATMAN

Grant Morrison is indeed writing a monthly Batman book after “Final Crisis"/"Whatever Happened To…"/ "Battle For The Cowl" and the like have wrapped.

And the penciller?

Get ready.

DC people tell me it’s one Frank Quitely.

Quite, quite excellent. I’ve got a couple of Frank’s art pages from his previous Batbook “The Scottish Connection" hanging in my hall. I doubt I’ll be able to afford any more now.

Yes, he is already working on it. Obviously.

FFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKK

Viewt

Mmm. Am I the only one just isn't that big a fan of Quietly's? I mean, I can respect him for being a talented artist, but his style really does nothing for me. Didn't care for it in All-Star Superman, didn't care for it in WE3 (well, didn't care for WE3 at all, to be honest), and I didn't care for it in New X-Men.

Oh well.

Frank Quitely eh? I've never read anything done by him although I am considering picking up All-Star Superman sometime in the near future. And I do think his All-Star Batman cover variant is pretty interesting. Here it is.

frankquitelybat.jpg

In other news...Battle For the Cowl #1 solicitation is out. Posting it in a second...

bftc_cv1-cv.jpg

BATMAN: BATTLE FOR THE COWL #1
Written by Tony Daniel
Art by Tony Daniel & Sandu Florea
Covers by Tony Daniel
"Batman: R.I.P." and FINAL CRISIS saw the end of Batman. Now, months following the disappearance of her protector, Gotham City sits at a precipice and it may be too far gone for Nightwing, Robin, Commissioner Gordon and the rest of the city’s heroes to save the day. Amid the fires, rioting, looting and gang warfare, one question rings out from the souls of Gotham’s desperate citizens: Where is Batman?
With guest-stars galore, the destruction of a sacred Gotham City institution and an ending that will have everyone talking, this 3-issue miniseries event written and drawn by Tony Daniel (The Tenth) features the battle to take on the Mantle of the Bat. Who has earned the right? Who thinks they deserve it? Robin? Nightwing? Jason Todd? Two-Face? Catwoman? Batgirl? Who will ultimately win the BATTLE FOR THE COWL?
Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. For every 10 copies of the Standard Edition (with a cover by Tony Daniel), retailers may order one copy of the Variant Edition (with a cover by Tony Daniel). Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.

Also solicitations for Azrael's new series, a Battle for the Cowl side-story about Gordon, and Oracle's new series as well. All over at Newsarama.

Blader

LiveFromKyoto said:
Is that a Rich Johnston quote? Because his batting average has been reeeallly poor lately.

You got to pay attention to those traffic lights he has next to every article.

Tamanon

Banned
GOTHAM GAZETTE: BATMAN DEAD? #1
Written by Fabian Nicieza
Art by various
Cover by Dustin Nguyen
A city looking to kill itself. A population without its dark avenger, without answers, without hope. A cop looking to save Gotham from its own madness. A reporter looking to reclaim her career by revealing that it's no coincidence the city's top billionaire and its urban legend are missing at the same time. A doctor seeking to regain her soul by stepping back into Hell. One hero who can't quite get it right no matter how hard she tries. Harvey Bullock. Vicki Vale. Dr. Leslie Thompkins. Stephanie Brown. What do all these people have in common?
Without Batman, Gotham City continues to fall apart, and these extraordinary "ordinary" people try to mend the city's wounds, looking into a dark night for answers. This one-shot special explores the effect a missing Batman has on the citizens of Gotham City.
On sale March 4 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

This might actually be great. I'm also interested in the Gordon side issues.

Image/Wallpaper request for any of you avid comic fans who are good at this sort of stuff...At the end of Batman #681, Nightwing is standing by the water clutching the Cowl of Batman. Can anyone find that picture for me? I can edit it and turn it into a wallpaper myself I suppose if someone could just find it, that'd be amazing.

So it looks like the first character transformation in the post-RIP/Final Crisis Gotham City is underway...

Judging by the events of Robin #181 which came out today,
Tim Drake will become Red Robin. Or has already become Red Robin.

Epcott

wow... so much has happened since I've stopped reading DC.

I think the last thing that transpired before I took a long vacation is Superman being killed by Doomsday. How did that work out, by the way?

IGN has a feature up about Azrael's return to Gotham and the DC Universe. I know nothing about him. He's getting his own three issue mini-series in the fallout of RIP and Final Crisis though. So for those of you interested, head over to IGN Comics and check it out.

Blader

Epcott said:
wow... so much has happened since I've stopped reading DC.

I think the last thing that transpired before I took a long vacation is Superman being killed by Doomsday. How did that work out, by the way?

He got better.

Major #683 spoiler (source).

Among other things, this seems to establish that there's no time gap between #681 and Final Crisis #1. Which means that Batman doesn't actually disappear in between RIP and FC, so there's no pre-FC period in which all the RIP and Last Rites tie-ins could take place.
Oh, DC. :lol

Father_Brain said:
Which means that Batman doesn't actually disappear in between RIP and FC, so there's no pre-FC period in which all the RIP and Last Rites tie-ins could take place.[/spoiler] Oh, DC. :lol

I've always assumed that there wasn't one. What would be the point of Bruce disappearing after the helicopter crash in RIP, coming back for Final Crisis and then disappearing again? I think people are confused with DC's titles (and it's DC's fault). "Batman RIP" doesn't actually end until Final Crisis #6. Batman RIP the comic series however ended with #681, technically. But the arc itself isn't over until Final Crisis #6. That said, I assume that Last Rites and the stories in Nightwing and Robin are taking place after Final Crisis. That's the why I look at it at least. But we'll see.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
..well after I finally got the R.I.P Storyline straight.... I'm confused again about FC....

There's also an interview with Tony Daniel's up at Newsarama about Battle for the Cowl. He says that when Battle for the Cowl is said and done, three characters will be changed forever. My guesses...

Dick- Batman (For now), Tim- Red Robin (For good) and Damian- Robin (For good)

ZeoVGM

Banned
BFTC_NYCC-Spread_comp.jpg

Ugh. Fucking terrible. If all these characters appear in the books, they're going to make the post-R.I.P. world even more gimmicky than the multiple Supermen bullshit 14 years ago.

Two-Face as Batman? Please tell me this shit isn't going to actually happen.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
omg rite said:
BFTC_NYCC-Spread_comp.jpg

Ugh. Fucking terrible. If all these characters appear in the books, they're going to make the post-R.I.P. world even more gimmicky than the multiple Supermen bullshit 14 years ago.

Two-Face as Batman? Please tell me this shit isn't going to actually happen.

I like that poster... the Two Face thing? Well these are just all the people that will be battling for the Cowl and remember Bruce did leave Gotham in Harvey's protection for awhile...

That poster brings a few questions to mind though... Tim's obviously the Batman with the staff, as its been his preferred weapon for awhile now... Alfred in a Beret and packing heat? Whose the Batman with the guns? Can't be Vigilante he's just getting his own series now... Bruce and Damian standing on the side with Damian holding the bandage that is around Bruce's leg? I don't get the symbolism... and ok... a Wayne Enterprises box with a dead body in it... that can't be good..

That was a great read. Definitely implies Hurt was connected with Darkseid, as he knew what was in store for Bruce in Final Crisis. It really works well together as a whole, but I pity the people following all those ridiculous crossovers and Battle For The Cowl books. As it stands, RIP and Final Crisis are pretty airtight together.

ZeoVGM

Banned
DarienA said:
Alfred in a Beret and packing heat?

Someone said that's how he looks in Trinity. I wouldn't know, as it's too shitty to buy weekly.

Whose the Batman with the guns?

I'm going to go with Jason Todd.

Bruce and Damian standing on the side with Damian holding the bandage that is around Bruce's leg? I don't get the symbolism...

Because it's probably Hush.

ZeoVGM

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Unlike the completely symbolism free Civil War and Secret Invasion mannnnnnnn.

We're referring to DC's pictures that they put once and a while like that, which yes, are supposed to be symbolistic and hint at things. Not sure what Secret Invasion has to do with that really.

But yeah, this whole R.I.P. thing is turning into a clusterfuck. I do hope that picture is nothing but symbolism because having 7 Batmen running around is fucking stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom