• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman R.I.P.: an Official Thread for Speculation, Discussion, and "OMGWTF" Hysteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Can anyone recap the R.I.P. story for me briefly? Can spoiler tag if needed, I wanna know what happened in a nut-shell continuity, don't really wanna track the books down and read them.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Something more interesting. Something more psychological. Instead, we got the most common death in comics that there is - inconclusive death by heroic explosion.

Really, if that's what you had up your sleeve, would you have the guts to get up in front of the world and tell everybody they were going to be shocked into a coma by that ending?

If Morrison is going to kill off Bruce Wayne after 70 years and spend half a year doing it, I'd like to think he's got the writing chops to at least give him his own unique ending.

But, I may be complaining too much too early. We'll see what happens when Final Crisis #6 hits in 2010.

Something more psychological? The entire storyline has been that! Seriously! I really don't know what you want here. Dude:

a) Had his batcave usurped
b) Was betrayed
c) Had his entire history brought into question DIRECTLY PSYCHOLOGICALLY
d) Had his butler assbeaten
e) Was rendered homeless and addicted to drugs

Man, I sure wish The Black Glove had put him through something psychological!

;D

Splatt

The biggest problem for me was that Batman (or Bruce Wayne or whatever) was prepared for everything that Black Glove hit him with. Reading the whole story knowing Batman was prepared for everything takes all the suspense out and replaces it with crapiness.

But really, enough of shitting on Morrison's Batman. I just wanted to make my point clear. Prep time is bullshit.

Splatt said:
The biggest problem for me was that Batman (or Bruce Wayne or whatever) was prepared for everything that Black Glove hit him with. Reading the whole story knowing Batman was prepared for everything takes all the suspense out and replaces it with crapiness.

But really, enough of shitting on Morrison's Batman. I just wanted to make my point clear. Prep time is bullshit.

So, knowing the ending of the story took out the suspense of it when you reread it?

Kind of like...any narratively propelled...narrative?

I don't know, man. I mean, obviously everybody is entitled to their opinion but you guys keep finding these ways to be disappointed that make no sense to me in the context of this story and, in this case, in the context of every dramatic story ever written.

I think people have been taking the Dr. Hurt Devil too literaly, almost apopheniac like Joker accuses Batman of.
Extollere said:
Can anyone recap the R.I.P. story for me briefly? Can spoiler tag if needed, I wanna know what happened in a nut-shell continuity, don't really wanna track the books down and read them.
ehhh kinda hard, I mean I can summarize into just one sentence but it's missing all the details. Anyway, a group lead by Dr. Hurt called The Black Glove has been attacking Batman physically and psychologically, Batman was ready for it with all of his self-induceed near-death experiences.

Wait, why is everyone complaining about
Bruce dieing in the helicopter crash?

Did I miss something? He's not dead, it was shown in the issue. After all, who else would have written the final entry in the Black Case book?

I guess you could complain about it if that last entry wasn't their but otherwise, why would you believe that?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BenjaminBirdie said:
So, knowing the ending of the story took out the suspense of it when you reread it?

I don't know, man. I mean, obviously everybody is entitled to their opinion but you guys keep finding these ways to be disappointed that make no sense to me in the context of this story and, in this case, in the context of every dramatic story ever written.

No, he's saying that prep time is bullshit...which it is. The way it was told this time was great though.

thetrin said:
No, he's saying that prep time is bullshit...which it is.

Prep time is...Batman.

*shuffles papers into briefcase*

Look, I'll leave you guys to your disappointment. As someone who got enjoyment out of the story ultimately, I figure I came out on top anyways, as there's another thing in this bright and madcap world that is fun to me, and one less for you guys.

;D

Blader

BenjaminBirdie said:

Read the solicitation for this issue. Then read the issue. I think you'll see that's where the disappointment stems from.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
koshunter said:
Oh come on, so Bats can't prepare for somebody ahead of time knowing their up to something?

Considering that the crux of RIP's solicitations is that an enemy would finally break Batman down to his core, and in the end he saw ALL of it coming...

I mean, if he knew Jezebel was part of Black Glove, why did he try to bust her out of the room at the end of #680? Why fall into the trap if he knew what was coming? Just so he could bust out of the coffin? That's totally ridiculous, and makes no sense at all.

thetrin said:
Considering that the crux of RIP's solicitations is that an enemy would finally break Batman down to his core, and in the end he saw ALL of it coming...

I mean, if he knew Jezebel was part of Black Glove, why did he try to bust her out of the room at the end of #680? Why fall into the trap if he knew what was coming? Just so he could bust out of the coffin? That's totally ridiculous, and makes no sense at all.
He was most likely still drugged up and under his ZEA persona. All of the running around in a red and purple costume wasn't acting, Batman was broken but he literaly came back from the grave.

DC's website still lists Batman 682 as shipping this week...Thad had to have been delayed by now right, and DC just never updated their site?

thetrin

Prime crotch said:
He was most likely still drugged up and under his ZEA persona. All of the running around in a red and purple costume wasn't acting, Batman was broken but he literaly came back from the grave.

Okay, that part was a little unclear. I wasn't aware that ZEA didn't possess the same knowledge as regular Batman, though I suppose that makes sense.

ToyMachine228 said:
DC's website still lists Batman 682 as shipping this week...Thad had to have been delayed by now right, and DC just never updated their site?

Something tells me Lee Garbett will be able to meet his deadline.

:lol

(Yes, it's out next week. Check Midtown for all the latest!)

Prime crotch said:

Yup. ZEA was, as stated explicitly in the text, a back up personality. It's like expecting to run Microsoft Word off your reboot disc.

thetrin

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yup. ZEA was, as stated explicitly in the text, a back up personality. It's like expecting to run Microsoft Word off your reboot disc.

Yes. I know. I understand what ZEA was.

I think the part that was unclear was that when ZEA took off the mask when he saw Jezebel behind the glass, I thought Bruce had woken up.

ANYWAY. Rereading the last 20 issues or so tonight, my opinion has changed. There were things I didn't like mostly because I was unsure of the implications (because there were such huge waits between issues, and I forgot certain parts).

I think RIP is a much better read if you read Morrison's run of Batman all at once. Reading it as it releases does it a disservice (at least for my feeble memory), as it refers to parts in previous issues that I totally forgot about, and didn't catch.

thetrin said:
Okay, that part was a little unclear. I wasn't aware that ZEA didn't possess the same knowledge as regular Batman, though I suppose that makes sense.
What ZEA Batman knows or not is unclear, but the main point is that he's not rational or right in the head.
thetrin said:

I think the part that was unclear was that when ZEA took off the mask when he saw Jezebel behind the glass, I thought Bruce had woken up.
True, but then again the man had just woken up. I think what you see at #680 end is a series of events that Bruce can't keep up with, he's holding the radio probably trying to activate it, Joker's poison is seeping in, you can see him with a Joker smile and all, and the absolute confirmation of Jez's betrayal. Of course Morrison did it in a very dramatic way but you can't blame him for that.

RIP is a better read if you read all of Morrison's run, I had even forgotten about the Third Batman.

thetrin said:

ANYWAY. Rereading the last 20 issues or so tonight, my opinion has changed. There were things I didn't like mostly because I was unsure of the implications (because there were such huge waits between issues, and I forgot certain parts).

I think RIP is a much better read if you read Morrison's run of Batman all at once. Reading it as it releases does it a disservice (at least for my feeble memory), as it refers to parts in previous issues that I totally forgot about, and didn't catch.

It's New X-Men all over again. Welcome back to the fold.

:D

BenjaminBirdie said:
Something more psychological? The entire storyline has been that! Seriously! I really don't know what you want here. Dude:

a) Had his batcave usurped
b) Was betrayed
c) Had his entire history brought into question DIRECTLY PSYCHOLOGICALLY
d) Had his butler assbeaten
e) Was rendered homeless and addicted to drugs

Man, I sure wish The Black Glove had put him through something psychological!

;D

I've said several times that the lead in was great, it's the final 'death' scene that I've got a problem with. And everything you said underscores exactly why it feels like that scene was rewritten by an editor - it doesn't match up with the whole tone of the story all. It's the payoff for the whole thing, and it's weak.

koshunter said:
Wait, why is everyone complaining about
Bruce dieing in the helicopter crash?

Did I miss something? He's not dead, it was shown in the issue. After all, who else would have written the final entry in the Black Case book?

I guess you could complain about it if that last entry wasn't their but otherwise, why would you believe that?

I'm at work so I don't have the issue handy, but I'm pretty sure that last entry is from before he faces Hurt. Have to check when I get home though.

Here's what he says:
"Did I finally reach the limits of reason?"
"And find the devil waiting?"
"And was that fear in his eyes?"

The last line pretty much confirms that it was after the event.

Kittonwy

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

NINE LIVES my friend I mean 13 lives...
batman.gif

koshunter said:
Here's what he says:
"Did I finally reach the limits of reason?"
"And find the devil waiting?"
"And was that fear in his eyes?"

The last line pretty much confirms that it was after the event.

I read it through again...I'm not sure that's meant to be taken as a literal entry he sat down and wrote out, rather than what he's thinking at the time. I think it makes far more sense if he's mentally thinking out his final entry.

But I guess we'll find out on Wednesday.

koshunter said:
Confused here, is that the dream or is that actually happening?

It may be a dream but all we can really tell from the preview is what we know...This issue and the next issue of Batman is narrated by Alfred, and is supposed to show new details on the life of Batman, and also bridge the gap between RIP and Final Crisis. Judging from that preview, Bruce is obviously alive and is apparently looking to go out into Gotham disguised so people still believe that Batman is dead.

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

Holy shit. Didds said explicitly that FC had to end in Jans. Oh, poor DC.

Well, FC #7 is still scheduled for Jan. 28, and it's drawn by a different artist, so there's still a chance it might make it.

A tiny, tiny chance.

Father_Brain said:
Well, FC #7 is still scheduled for Jan. 28, and it's drawn by a different artist, so there's still a chance it might make it.

A tiny, tiny chance.
Oh man, is something wrong with Jones? I love his art, maybe they can have him redo the later issues later on.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
ToyMachine228 said:
GOD DAMMIT! I want Final Crisis #6 NOW. At least we get 5 next week...

Finally! We'll get some the tie ins with it!

As for what happens to Bruce in FC#6, if you read the second issue it's pretty clear that
is going to be part of Darkseid's gang

Mistouze said:
As for what happens to Bruce in FC#6, if you read the second issue it's pretty clear that
is going to be part of Darkseid's gang

I have read FC#2, but we can't really tell how permanent that would be until we see exactly what's going on in FC#6.

Last Rites ties in so much into Final Crisis that it should really be called Final Crisis Batman's Last Rites.

Oh and it was fuckawesome!

Prime crotch said:
Last Rites ties in so much into Final Crisis that it should really be called Final Crisis Batman's Last Rites.

It does have the FC logo on the cover, at least.

I suppose that
#683 will actually explain why Bruce puts the costume back on before FC #1. I was hoping that that would be addressed in #682, but oh well.

Penguin

Prime crotch said:

That was an awesome read.
Probably re-read to get the order right though. :lol

Prime crotch said:
Oh man, is something wrong with Jones? I love his art, maybe they can have him redo the later issues later on.

The only thing wrong with Jones is that he is too awesome to work to a schedule. He simply isn't someone who can produce quick work. He has already gone on record as refusing to redo pages for collected editions as it would be an insult to the work of the other artists. Both he and Quietly are among my favorites but they are both so slow :(

Went to my local comic shop today to pick up Batman #682, didn't see it so I asked the clerk if they had it and he says..."No, Batman #681 is the end of Batman. There is no 682. But 681 is right over there.":lol Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom