• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don´t think we´re going to get a Superbowl spot. Not getting my hopes up.

Still gonna check in the morning before work. Going to sleep now.

The Dark Knight was probably the last hurrah of the ARG as movie-marketing idea. They were hiding cellphones in random places all over the city, and they'd call the phone once you found it, so on and so forth.

Oh man I was following that shit like crazy. I ones I remember vividly are the Joker reveal and staring at a goddamn pumpkin for days. Cant believe its been so long.

Although I understand why they would want to hold a teaser for Jupiter Ascending (because that's the only way they're going to move any tickets), they're stupid if they do. Hundreds of millions of eyes tonight versus a few thousand fan boys that would actually shell out the price of admission just to watch a trailer.

Do people still go to the movies just for trailers when they're up on YT at a moment's notice?

Glass

I'm usually an optimist when it comes to rumours like this, but I can't get my hopes up about this one. MoS didn't get a Superbowl advert and that film was due out in 5 months from the game. Maybe they've changed their marketing, but I'm pretty sure it'll get one next year since itll be so close to release date, and then what's the point in paying a huge fortune to have one now.

I hope to be wrong of course, it would be one hell of a surprise.

Do people still go to the movies just for trailers when they're up on YT at a moment's notice?

They basically never did this at all outside of Phantom Menace, and even then, not that many people did it.

The idea that people were attaching trailers to films to increase box office for the movies never quite made sense even then, and it definitely doesn't make sense now.

They basically never did this at all outside of Phantom Menace, and even then, not that many people did it.

The idea that people were attaching trailers to films to increase box office for the movies never quite made sense even then, and it definitely doesn't make sense now.

Ditto.

Penguin

Although I understand why they would want to hold a teaser for Jupiter Ascending (because that's the only way they're going to move any tickets), they're stupid if they do. Hundreds of millions of eyes tonight versus a few thousand fan boys that would actually shell out the price of admission just to watch a trailer.

I think the big problem for a lot of people is there is another Superbowl between now and when the film releases.

Like it would make more sense to drop the money solely on next year's game.

I think the notion is that people would pay to see it on a larger screen... who knows

I think the big problem for a lot of people is there is another Superbowl between now and when the film releases.

I agree but at the same time I would think it would be in their best interest to go ahead and throw something out there just so they're in the public conscious. I honestly feel like just an HD version of the CC teaser would be fine. Sure there's the ad-time, but It's not like they would have to pay someone to throw a trailer together. And Disney/Marvel just bombard the shit out of you with their materials. Plus I feel like to Joe-average a superhero movie = Marvel at this point. Just get yourself out there and remind (introduce) people that you exist.

http://www.ispot.tv/brands/Ag4/warner-bros

It's posted on WB's official profile

It might be legit? oh man. Keeping my eyes glued to the tv just in case.

SSSSHHHHIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.

XcVsBJU.gif

NO, i need to go to bed.

DaveH

Purely for marketing BvS, I agree 100%... however, I can see an argument for a dramatic early marketing campaign less for BvS, but for the DCCU as a whole... targeted not towards consumers but towards talent.

The idea is to show such a level of confidence, commitment, and financing that they're willing to put down almost pointless money for an early teaser, in order to beat the public into a frenzy... then use that public excitement, plus their willingness to invest, to start talking to writers, directors, and actors that they want to commit to their projects. Talents are attending Super Bowl parties... if they see the excitement of their friends, colleagues, etc. and see the WB putting down cash this early, that's something that can sway certain artists. Most artists want their art to be seen and if the WB is using the big game as a stage, they may be intrigued.

Of course, that's a lot of money for that purpose... maybe better spent wining and dining agents than hoping for some kind of collateral goodwill.

Nah, they sprinkle em throughout, although I think companies try to frontload 'em in case the game is a blowout and people stop paying attention by the 2nd half

Ahasverus

I see (I'm not american so I have no idea). I suppose the half time spots are the more expensive and most important (as everyone watches the HT show). That's where my hopes are put into.

Begins did well in theaters but faced the challenge of being the next Batman film after B&R. Some were skeptical. However, Begins had fantastic DVD sales and continued to gain legions of devoted fans after the theatrical run. Combined with Ledger's casting in August 2006, and the ensuing viral marketing beginning in summer 2007, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who didn't know about and enjoy Begins when the TDK trailer arrived.

That's good to hear.

I see (I'm not american so I have no idea). I suppose the half time spots are the more expensive and most important (as everyone watches the HT show). That's where my hopes are put into.

That's the opposite of true, lol. Lots of people tune out during the halftime show :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom