• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn multiplayer becomes Free Trial......... 2P

Geedorah

I bought this for $5 a month ago.

I should really play it.

Whelp... I did the same, and it looks like by not actually installing and PLAYING the game, I don't get any of the Founders' Perks. None at all. Basically wasted that money. Battleborn is just the game that keeps on giving :/

PSqueak

Banned
Talking about the game however; has much changed at all since the beta? What did they patch in the last year?

-Added practice mode
-Added Bot matches for incursion
-Added 5 new characters
-The base characters are now unlocked from the start, the 5 new characters unlock with in game currency
-Game runs in 60 FPS all modes, even split screen

These are more or less the most important changes.

I think the name is a mistake, 'free trial' sounds like a time limited demo or something like that. Doing what they are avoiding, calling it "Free to play!" would attract more people.

thumb

Banned
I actually had a good time with Battleborn's PvE content. The game has come a long way since release. It's worth giving a shot.

dugdug

Banned
Whelp... I did the same, and it looks like by not actually installing and PLAYING the game, I don't get any of the Founders' Perks. None at all. Basically wasted that money. Battleborn is just the game that keeps on giving :/

Is this for real? Do you expect them to just magically know you bought the game and give you the perks?

mikeGFG

Banned
Is this for real? Do you expect them to just magically know you bought the game and give you the perks?
I would expect that, yes.

The F2P version should absolutely​ be able to convert his license/cdkey into a bonus.

dugdug

Banned
I would expect that, yes.

The F2P version should absolutely​ be able to convert his license/cdkey into a bonus.

Ah OK, I wasn't thinking in terms of PC. I was thinking on console, how can Gearbox know they didn't walk into Gamestop and pick up a used copy today. My bad.

PSqueak

Banned
I already have Paladins when I'm in the mood for some Budget Overwatch.

can we stop with these ignorant ass comments?

Battleborn plays nothing like overwatch, OW is a class based shooter, BB is a MOBA with minions, creeps and "towers" and all that shit.

Not a single mode in BB is even remotely close to anything in OW, trust me, i play both games regularly.

I bet you don't even play paladins like you claim.

i have this and barely played it due to the low player count. does this still require players for the main campaign?

No, but it's incredibly hard to do it solo.

Feelings on the studio aside, Battleborn's problem was never its price, it was its quality. The game is just plain poor.
lol. Just take the L, Randy.
5rLhBjy.png
Randy continues to impress me with his unapologetic
prickishness.

- Calling a F2P game a "free trial/demo"
- Pricing Bulletstorm remaster at full price
- Making a marketing deal with G2A

What the hell is going on in Gearbox and how are they fucking up this spectacularly?

It's the opposite of what Sony did with Uncharted 3 MP when they made it "free to play" but the free play had a level limit. It was dumb but calling it free to play probably made more people download it than if they called it a free trial that it really was.

PSqueak

Banned
There's a lot to laugh at, sorry. I didn't expect a mp "demo" with poor graphics to take up almost an eighth of the base ps4's available space.

You don't know what youre talking about.

Questionable art direction? Totally, but calling it poor graphics that's just trying to start shit.

why are you dedicating your time to a thread of a game you don't like, don't play and for some mind numbing reason you just want to antagonize?

Come on, lets go back to OW threads, you seemed friendlier there.

You don't know what youre talking about.

Questionable art direction? Totally, but calling it poor graphics that's just trying to start shit.

why are you dedicating your time to a thread of a game you don't like, don't play and for some mind numbing reason you just want to antagonize?

Come on, lets go back to OW threads, you seemed friendlier there.
Huh, that was my only post about the game, most of my negativity in here is due to Randy being a scummy bone head. And I'm just surprised since I just downloaded kf2 today and that was less than half of this and a full mp game at that, I'm wondering if the sp is included in the download too.

PSqueak

Banned
Huh, that was my only post about the game, most of my negativity in here is due to Randy being a scummy bone head. And I'm just surprised since I just downloaded kf2 today and that was less than half of this and a full mp game at that, I'm wondering if the sp is included in the download too.

Im assuming it does, DL prolly is the entire thing with a prompt that lets you pay to unlock the SP and characters.

Can't remember what the full game DL was back when i download it.

KDC720

Yeah, "free trial" to me denotes a time limited version of the full game. This just seems to be a F2P version of the competitive multiplayer.

Anyway, I'm keen to give it a shot after I get back from work, I've heard the game is actually pretty decent.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamnit Randy. Just call it F2P for fuck sake. You have the opportunity to give the game a good second chance and yet you completely fuck it up by calling it a trial. A 'trial' for a game you can get so cheap and yet noone wants to fuckin buy it anyway. What makes you think by labelling it a trial you'll get people to try it ? Embrace the F2P, embrace it *waves hands*

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Saw this on the main page of the PS Store, was confused as to why they would release a demo of a game that bombed a year ago. Bold strategy with the labeling. I'm sure that will get people to download this.

Not worth the time or bandwidth to install.

It is becoming like Evolve? I hope the characters and skins' prices won't increase suddenly like for the latter and I hope it won't die soon and that enough players will keep playing it. Evolve F2P was even supposed to be released for consoles...

It is becoming like Evolve? I hope the characters and skins' prices won't increase suddenly like for the latter and I hope it won't die soon and that enough players will keep playing it. Evolve F2P was even supposed to be released for consoles...

Wait wait wait, one of the reasons Evolve bombed is because of the outrageous DLC model and they had the gall to increase character and skin prices after it became F2P? lol

Wait wait wait, one of the reasons Evolve bombed is because of the outrageous DLC model and they had the gall to increase character and skin prices after it became F2P? lol

Yeah. First they were selling characters and skins at reasonable prices after going F2P. Then they made week-ends events to get like x2, x4 and even x10 keys. Since the x10 key event, players gained so much keys to get anything they wanted and the devs deemed that it was so much especially when they just added the paid method to buy stuff so they changed the prices of everything and multiplied them which angered many players. They later made 50% discounts but they never reached the original prices.
Now barely anyone play this game even after becoming F2P. Even the devs left it and don't update it anymore.
I hope Battleborn won't follow the same path, thus the same fate.

gogosox82

Maybe I'll give it a shot but I remember hating the art style and character movement in the beta. Still don't think this will be enough help it tbh. With Overwatch and Paladins seem to dominate "hero shooter" thing its going for.

Give me 1000 concurrent players. I'll be a very happy guy.

How about half of 1000?

AH2Fh07.png

Number will probably rise later. But I don't think Battleborn will even have the success Evolve had when it went F2P.(Had 16k players when it went F2P)
Evolve had a second chance but fucked it up.
Battleborn probably won't even get the chance to fuck it up.

If they went on steam before Paladins, they've might have had a chance.
But Paladins fills the 'Overwatch' f2p hole already.

EDIT: player count is 531 now. I guess it will take awhile for people to download the game. Will probably be at least 2k or so by the middle of the day?

Ploid 3.0

I guess Valve don't care what Randy thinks or labels it.

08BJaai.png

If people cared about that Battleborn wouldn't be going F2P today.

But Overwatch fatigue may have set in by now and people might be more willing to give it a chance now. People seemed interested in the game, but iirc Overwatch was close to it's release. I shall give this a shot later today perhaps.

Top Bottom