• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn multiplayer becomes Free Trial......... 2P

This thread is depressing. Randy Pitchford, Colonial Marines, yadda yadda, sure, have your fun. But Battleborn has something to offer you if you give it a shot. Why is it utterly impossible for so many to be reasonable? We all want variety and new IPs and bla bla, but god forbid something not quite match up to the Big Kid of the day.

MUnited83

For you.
This thread is depressing. Randy Pitchford, Colonial Marines, yadda yadda, sure, have your fun. But Battleborn has something to offer you if you give it a shot. Why is it utterly impossible for so many to be reasonable? We all want variety and new IPs and bla bla, but god forbid something not quite match up to the Big Kid of the day.
Randy Pitchford has continuously sabotaged his own games due to his enormous ego, and this is no exception.

m_dorian

Maybe Pitchfork's method of marketing is a trick: Appear as a douchebag while passing the message to as many as possible during the process.

Even if true is still silly. And totally expected by him.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I can't as UK PSN won't go F2P until next week.

Also hello Randy!

Joking aside, the market decides if this game is worth a shot. Right now, the move is bombing and it isn't just because of Twitter feuds. There's plenty of decent games in this sub genre including F2P and Battleborn needs a decent push to gain mindshare. This is not a decent push and blaming users for pointing out this is hilariously tone deaf.

kiguel182

They call this a free trial so you need plus to play it and it probably won't appear on the free to play tab on PSN. Why not just relaunch it as free to play?

Is there a reason they haven't replaced him yet? Dude's been the public face of Gearbox mishaps for years now.

I think he owns the company. But he should realise it's time to step aside and let someone else handle the PR for the company, because he's doing them absolutely no favours.

SZips

They call this a free trial so you need plus to play it and it probably won't appear on the free to play tab on PSN. Why not just relaunch it as free to play?
Because that would make Randy a liar when he got into a Twitter argument saying there were no plans to make the game "free to play."

Experien

I don't know if this would warrant a new thread but you can't get trophies on PS4 for this.

This Free (Trial) to Play game is DLed as a demo, so that means it has no trophies attached to it. Don't know if you "bought it" if it would retroactively add trophies but as of right now, the game doesn't even come up in your Trophy list.

GodofWine

They should have made this a PS+ game, its not really a demo, the rotating character idea is pretty decent and kinda makes it a fully fleshed out game, not a demo...and it would have gotten them a LOT more downloads.

Free Hero Shooter with rotating cast of characters sounds better then Free Trial which many will just skip. Oh well. I will try it after Killing Floor 2 runs its course.

5Te6Wvy.png

Ouch. Ouch.

You know you fucked up when going F2P doesn't even get you 1,000 concurrent players. Even Evolve's brief resuscitation attempt managed to get around 10,000+ players back for a little while.

For him it sort of is, because that would mean having to admit defeat on one of his earlier promises. This way he gets to at least pretend otherwise.

It's completely unrelated, but I did also get a kick out of seeing the announcement. Even setting aside all its other problems, Battleborn was and continues to be an extraordinarily ill-timed game.

Currently sitting at 1289. Peak is usually around like 2pm pst or so for most games. It'll probably hit 1.5k at its highest.

No idea why this is classed as a demo. They should just call it F2P and have it on the Store in that section. Maybe more people will be interested.

killroy87

Yeah, "Free Trial" is terrible branding here. People just assume that's a demo, it doesn't have any inherent value.

I wonder how the population on consoles is.

Kemal86

The only person being unreasonable in this debacle is Randy Pitchford.

PSqueak

Banned
it's now called the badass edition

It's been called Ultimate Badass edition since the big update last winter, come on.

xzsJkBH.jpg

Still the best Battleborn image.

You have to intentionally work extra hard to get the screenshot this cluttered, what's happening:

-This is a campaing mission, A character is talking about the objectives
-There is the objective list
-The player is intentionally not activating an item so the prompt stays up
-The player is intentionally not activating his level upgrades so the prompt is still up
-Player took the screenshot just as they leveled up so they could catch a glimpse of a prompt that doesn't last even 3 seconds
-Since it's the campaign, all team mates leveled up at the same time unlocking they ults, the game pings you when your taem mates get their ults because that's valuable info in a moba, so all the pings appeared at the same time
-Player is activating a power up

You could stage a screenshot equally or almost as cluttered in any game with a campaign or even in the uprising event in Overwatch.

I bought the game for 8 bucks to give it a shot. I couldn't get into it. I think it's possible that Battleborn only appeals to a small group of loyal fans. I don't expect this "trial" to make any big waves. If the game was a worthy contender, word of mouth would have already done it's job.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Calling it a free trial is going to hurt them, it just sounds like a demo.

I find it baffling a game that is struggling and has the financial backing of 2k yet doesn't approach Sony to give it away as a PS+ title.

25 million potential players and microtransaction purchases.

Hi Randy.

kuYuri

Why is free trial suddenly this confusing thing for gamers? Plenty of other games have done this. I remember downloading a free trial version of Destiny which allowed you to create any character and play the first few story missions and the first Earth patrol map. If you wanted to play past a certain point and continue playing the rest of the game, you could then buy it digitally from an in-game buy screen or get a physical copy and continue from there. Even Diablo 3 had the same thing. But now for Battleborn it's like it's this confusing mess for some reason.

If the game continues to do poorly even after introducing the trial, then they can go F2P or whatever they want to do.

PSqueak

Banned
Why is free trial suddenly this confusing thing for gamers? Plenty of other games have done this. I remember downloading a free trial version of Destiny which allowed you to create any character and play the first few story missions and the first Earth patrol map. If you wanted to play past a certain point and continue playing the rest of the game, you could then buy it digitally from an in-game buy screen or get a physical copy and continue from there. Even Diablo 3 had the same thing. But now for Battleborn it's like it's this confusing mess for some reason.

If the game continues to do poorly even after introducing the trial, then they can go F2P or whatever they want to do.

It's confusing because what the game is doing is in line with standard F2P practices, BB addopted a League of Legends styled system.

Free Trail usually is timed demos, Randy is literally arguing his game is not F2P because he's choosing to call it something not descriptive of what the new system is.

Destiny was a trial, you have limited missions and level ups, Battleborn trial is as close to F2P as you can get and is pretty much a F2P game now.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a webbed footed waterfowl with a flat, wide ducklike bill, right? Totally not a duck.

kuYuri

It's confusing because what the game is doing is in line with standard F2P practices, BB addopted a League of Legends styled system.

Free Trail usually is timed demos, Randy is literally arguing his game is not F2P because he's choosing to call it something not descriptive of what the new system is.

Maybe a free trial is a timed demo, but not always. Plenty of games have single player trial versions that aren't on timers. Multiplayers demos based on the full game typically limit maps or modes or something of that nature. While Battleborn doesn't seem to limit maps or modes in its trial of the competitive MP, it does limit characters. It also does not allow playing the story mode which can be played co-op as far as I know and no custom games mode.

Destiny was a trial, you have limited missions and level ups, Battleborn trial is as close to F2P as you can get and is pretty much a F2P game now.

Would you like to provide some other examples then of what strictly makes it F2P like other F2P games? Cause going by your Destiny comparison, the Battleborn trial does not give access to the story mode or to private/custom matches, like how the Destiny trial does not give access to The Crucible competitive MP, Strike Missons, or Raids.

While I can definitely see the similarities with F2P games like LoL, it does not necessarily mean it is strictly a F2P game now.

fernoca

You can get the game for like $7 on Amazon.
Around $10 right now. :p

Though noticed that they're also selling the Digital Deluxe for $22 (code for the game and season pass) on PS4/XBOX.

Upgrading the trial to full is $30 digitally and then the season pass is $20 (for $50 total) and the same Digital Deluxe is $45 digitally.

So if anyone likes the trial, grabbing a code of the DD at Amazon is the cheapest way to upgrade fully.

kuYuri

Around $10 right now. :p

Though noticed that they're also selling the Digital Deluxe for $22 (code for the game and season pass) on PS4/XBOX.

Upgrading the trial to full is $30 digitally and then the season pass is $20 (for $50 total) and the same Digital Deluxe is $45 digitally.

So if anyone likes the trial, grabbing a code of the DD at Amazon is the cheapest way to upgrade fully.

In addition to this, I've seen the PC version as little as $5 on CDKeys.

At that price, I can easily get $5 worth just from the story mode.

angelic

Banned

I feel the opposite, I could laugh at Pitchford all day.

Z3M0G

I must say... that prologue was pretty damn sweet. The intro animation was fantastic and the mission itself was fun. Tempted to buy to play more...

Top Bottom