• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn Open Beta thread: April 8 (PS4)/ April 13 (PC/XB1) - April 18

Played a versus match. It was ok I guess. Played with mushroom head and focused on healing everyone and throwing some spores and mushrooms.

Aiming my kunai throws felt off though. Like my cursor was on the enemy but I had no idea if I was hitting him.

I'd really enjoy this more if it was 60 fps. And no way I'd spent €60 on this haha.

Am I the only one who feels like I am being thrown into a blender every time I play a game? I have very little idea of what to do or where to go, and the screen is so full of things going on it feels like I am in hyper Vegas or something.

Either the game is making me feel super old or the game is really shitty.

Mechanics wise the boss fights were decent enough, I liked the whole teleport and shield mechanisms on the witch boss I did but still, everything up to that point felt like a sensory overload.

I got in tbh and I'm still not feeling it. I saw a lot of positive impressions from people who'd played it after the closed technical test so I was hoping it would be better this time around but it still doesn't feel good. Idk why a game like this is 30fps as well. Makes the sluggish gameplay feel even more sluggish.

Is the queue maybe something that was implemented because the servers went down this morning? Maybe it was an emergency stop gap measure for more traffic that they anticipated.

If you don't pay attention you don't even notice you are out of the queue. So it's not even a good queue simulator.

Oh wow. Wtf. I was just sitting there with that window up, thinking it would close when I got in. Then I read this, and tried closing the window and selecting a match. Turns out I was in. lol

Kyolux

If you don't pay attention you don't even notice you are out of the queue. So it's not even a good queue simulator.

Yeah, not sure how long it had been since I had been out of the queue when I saw someone mention this, only to realize my queue time was over.

Drewfonse

Got into a story mission and loved it. Played as Orendi, the multi armed caster. Super fun. Took me a while to understand WTF was going on, but once I did i had a blast. Our team failed to beat the mission, though. Looking forward to playing more.

VariantX

Oh wow. Wtf. I was just sitting there with that window up, thinking it would close when I got in. Then I read this, and tried closing the window and selecting a match. Turns out I was in. lol

When you see your rank underneath your name, thats when you're in, otherwise it would be blank. If it kicks you while youre in, your number will still be there, just go back to the title screen to make it blank again so you'll actually know when youre in.

Pastry

Banned
How do you buy items for your character in game? I can't find a shop or anything and I see people wiTh items

Really wish someone from Gearbox or 2K would let me into the Xbox One beta a little early. I'm on vacation from work for a week and would love to do some streaming. I really enjoyed the closed technical test.

you know what the worse part is? that hypothetically speaking, if this game is successful, this queue shit will be in the retail game, even to just play singleplayer by yourself since the game is always online.

Played a game earlier and it was pretty fun. I think this game is just releasing at a bad time though. It'll be tough for it to go against Doom, Uncharted 4, and Overwatch in May. I feel like if it came out towards the end of June during a downtime, then it would fare much better.

Warxard

Banned
you know what the worse part is? that hypothetically speaking, if this game is successful, this queue shit will be in the retail game, even to just play singleplayer by yourself since the game is always online.

You don't--

You don't like think that they'll fix those issues come launch

You don't think another AAA title in 2016 wont have a huge day one patch to fix it?

Still it's Gearbox and they're pretty incompetent but still,

Was there a tutorial hidden anywhere? I just got to play the first story mission. They totally do not tell you anything.
I figured it out eventually, but still. I know sometimes tutorials go too far, but not having one at all isnt the best option either.

TwiztidElf

Queuing to play an online game? What is this? 2006?

Doesn't even give you any rough idea of how long you have to wait?
This is game design cardinal sin right here.

I've actually been quite positive about this game so far, and considered it a maybe, despite all the negativity, but this is pretty ordinary.

Drewfonse

Played my first VS game as Miko, the healer, and really enjoyed. Healed the shit out of the place. 12 assists in my first game because of the healing, fun as shit.

Johndoey

Banned
So after I finally got out of queue hell, the game seems pretty decent, beside being iffy on what was happening at first my main complaints are,

1. It's a visual assault: I acclimatized eventually, but it's a garish mess at times, like it's so colorful everything melts together.

2. The weapon sounds seems really soft and flat, I could barely make them out while I was playing. I stopped using the kunai with Miko fairly quickly because the lack of any distinct sound made it seem like I wasn't actually doing anything.

This game plays like booty to me and I can't describe why. I'm new to mobas, but if your team doesn't communicate or know what to do, it's a clusterfuck. And the matches are super long. Is that a normality?

Wait.

Wait. Wait.

30fps on PS4, even sub 30 at times - with graphics like this, and Overwatch being on 60fps - this game is absolutely doomed to begin with I'm afraid. It faces an uphill battle already. Immediately deleted this after 20 minutes of toying around with it.

Kyolux

Played my first match as Rath.

Enjoyed the hell out of it. Being melee is my thing and the moves feels right for my style too.

I'm just not sure I was doing everything I should have been doing though, but we did manage to win.

Gotta agree with the visual clutter, but I got used to it fairly fast. Worse for me was running away, I kept turning and getting stuck in corners or on someone or something in the way.

I think I'll actually keep my pre-order now. Unless I get bored of the game by the 18th.

Johndoey

Banned
This game plays like booty to me and I can't describe why. I'm new to mobas, but if your team doesn't communicate or know what to do, it's a clusterfuck. And the matches are super long. Is that a normality?

Yeah if you're not buttoned up against a team that is actually communicating you'll get rolled every time and most moba matches usually run 25-45 minutes generally (depending on the game).

You don't--

You don't like think that they'll fix those issues come launch

You don't think another AAA title in 2016 wont have a huge day one patch to fix it?

Still it's Gearbox and they're pretty incompetent but still,

even if they did fix it, lets say they're performing server maintenance, you won't even be able to play singleplayer.

gogosox82

Played two games and won both. Did terrible first game and then did good the second. I think its ok but its really hard to tell what is going on because of the graphics and all the effects. I really didn't have a clue as to what I was supposed to be doing. I'm assuming the shards things are the gold equivalent but I didn't see a shop to spend anything on so what was I supposed to do with these shards? Also the game felt sluggish to me. It just felt like everything was moving in slow motion.

I wasn't all that impressed and I already deleted it. Its just not my thing I guess.

mr stroke

Played a game earlier and it was pretty fun. I think this game is just releasing at a bad time though. It'll be tough for it to go against Doom, Uncharted 4, and Overwatch in May. I feel like if it came out towards the end of June during a downtime, then it would fare much better.

+1

why they didn't release this mid summer is beyond me? June/July is the perfect date for this game

Wait.

Wait. Wait.

30fps on PS4, even sub 30 at times - with graphics like this, and Overwatch being on 60fps - this game is absolutely doomed to begin with I'm afraid. It faces an uphill battle already. Immediately deleted this after 20 minutes of toying around with it.

Not to mention the annoying aim acceleration, poor sound design and lacking gunplay feedback. Game just seems abysmal to me, even more so in the face of Overwatch.

Krakn3Dfx

Played about half an hour. My take so far:

Game is a seizure inducing mess stacked on top of underwhelming visuals and level design that makes the gameplay feel even slower than it already is.

Had to quit and run for family stuff, but with the queue bs as allotting as it is right now, not sure I'll bother going back.

Memory

So we just tried split screen for the first time, the screen splits 3 ways with the map taking up 1/5 of the screen. Since the Field of view is bad and the character weapons are so large, it means you have very little view of the battlefield.

Its a decent game overall but I see little improvement from the Alpha so I can't see how they can polish this up in time for launch in a few weeks. I might pick it up down the line if there is a sale and I have nothing to play.

wow, instantly got in with me connection. You get to choose which storymode mission you want to play as when you go in.

Its like 2:30am in EU so the servers will have been freed up quite alot.

I guess MOBAs are not for me. Other than the bright colors, there is nothing else about this game that would make me want to play or look at it once it actually starts costing money. Back to my good ol fashioned FPSes.

Pastry

Banned
How do you buy items for your character in game? I can't find a shop or anything and I see people wiTh items

FiraB

Banned
I really tired to like it but its not my thing, love the character designs (something I hope they adopt in the next borderlands) but the game just didn't mesh with me.

Pop

I'm enjoying this a lot. Way more than Paragon.

First story mission on normal took me quite awhile and was actually very solid. Aiming takes awhile to get the hang of but so far so good.

Top Bottom