• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn Open Beta thread: April 8 (PS4)/ April 13 (PC/XB1) - April 18

zedge

Ugh the 30 fps kills this for me. Nauseating.

The core game is fun although I suck as with any moba. Look forward to trying it on PC now for the better experience.

Just incase people feel off with the shooting: it doesn't have assist aim. I know some people are used to like my friend playing games with assist aim all the time like Call of Duty on console. You get used to it.You just have to aim and it should work out.

edit: actually it deos have it in the menu. Mine was off for some reason. Strange.

nynt9

Wow, the server issues are miserable, getting into a game takes forever and I kept disconnecting mid game. And I can't remember the last shooter I played that feels this unfun.

This has the Gearbox seal of quality alright, can't wait for the Randy Pitchford meltdowns after release.

RE_Player

Before I played the beta I thought this game was going to be a huge bomb.

After playing the beta this game is going to bomb harder than we could have ever imagined.

B-Dex

I actually like the missions I played. However my team was never able to actually finish either mission.

There's also weird sound issues like the mixing is all wrong.

OmegaX06

Bad timing for this game. Overwatch feels about 100x better gameplay wise. Probably didn't help that I was playing under 30fps on a console. I also had all of my teammates leave before the match ended.

Kyolux

I guess I'll have to try a character with a gun to understand the hate.

I agree about 30 fps/low FOV, etc. being low points, but the game has been nothing close to unplayable in my experience.

Sounds more like confirmation bias than the game actually being bad.

Or my tastes are just weird for liking this.

Edit: I'll definitely play a good amount of Overwatch before committing to paying for this game.

I didn't realize this game was in open beta. I'll wait for the PC beta before giving this a shot.

I kind of dig the character designs, so I'm interested in playing this for myself. I'm not in the Overwatch beta, so that's one thing this game has over Overwatch for now.

My hopes aren't high, but I want to try and give this game a fair shake.

Rokal

Well, it's a lot more fun than Paragon at least. Seems like there is a pretty gross game-balance impacting Microtransaction layer for a $60 game though.

Kyolux

Well, it's a lot more fun than Paragon at least. Seems like there is a pretty gross game-balance impacting Microtransaction layer for a $60 game though.

Pretty sure there's no microtransactions? Or I'm thinking of Overwatch? Thought both games had none.

And yeah, I'm not going back to Paragon after playing this.

Rokal

Pretty sure there's no microtransactions? Or I'm thinking of Overwatch? Thought both games had none.

And yeah, I'm not going back to Paragon after playing this.

Under Loadouts there is a large Marketplace section full of Loot/Gear packs. It's possible the currency listed is only earned in-game, I haven't played enough to know.

At best, it's the LoL-style of Runes where a massive amount of grinding is required to have competitive loadouts for each character type.

At worst, it's that but with F2P-game economics and "pain points" to encourage spending.

Under Loadouts there is a large Marketplace section full of Loot/Gear packs. It's possible the currency listed is only earned in-game, I haven't played enough to know.

At best, it's the LoL-style of Runes where a massive amount of grinding is required to have competitive loadouts for each character type.

At worst, it's that but with F2P-game economics and "pain points" to encourage spending.

oh those. you get a like 5 packs per session. the currency you collect can also buy those. like Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. you can either play 3 low level games to buy a pack, or play harder difficulty to get 1 pack instead.

Johndoey

Banned
This game isn't really a moba it shares a lot of concepts but it's more TF than say Dota, Paragon however is straight up moba.

This game isn't really a moba it shares a lot of concepts but it's more TF than say Dota, Paragon however is straight up moba.

yes, it goes like this:paragon leans more towards MOBA, Battle born is a mixture of moba and team based, and Overwatch is more team based. There is a nice selection of games this summer for people to choose for their style.

Zackat

This game plays like booty to me and I can't describe why. I'm new to mobas, but if your team doesn't communicate or know what to do, it's a clusterfuck. And the matches are super long. Is that a normality?

You just described MOBAs pretty well. I like HoTS because at least the matches are short. How long do the matches run in this game? I am going to install the beta here soon and am curious.

patchday

oh those. you get a like 5 packs per session. the currency you collect can also buy those. like Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. you can either play 3 low level games to buy a pack, or play harder difficulty to get 1 pack instead.

oh so you can unlock the packs pretty quick then. Nice! I actually like this game not f2p. Getting really tired of the f2p LoL moba model. Yeah those games can be fun but they take their toil on you over time and now I want to play something more unique. I dont mind some light MOBA elements tho

oh so you can unlock the packs pretty quick then. Nice! I actually like this game not f2p. Getting really tired of the f2p LoL moba model. Yeah those games can be fun but they take their toil on you over time and now I want to play something more unique. I dont mind some light MOBA elements tho

I am going to be honest for you: it's easy in teh beta for me. The final game might change the currency and make it harder. Also your progress won't be saved for the final game. I know some games make it easy to get money then the final game it's fucking hard.

edit: so basically enjoy the game and have your opinion of it.

Fight money? I think you only use that to buy DLC characters if you want them for 'free'

no I meant during the beta for Street Fighter 5 you were able to collect fight money and then buy the extra Karin stage day time to play on. I remember only having to play or win like 20 matches. Unless I got my count wrong. Hopefully we don't get karin stage for free for the season pass people. I want a new stage.

Lingitiz

Finished a story mission. Framerate was totally fine except for a few spots with sudden stuttering.

Otherwise this game seems totally unremarkable. It just feels super flat and unsatisfying to play.

Rokal

I'm actually enjoying this quite a bit, though the low FPS is noticeable given the pace of the game. More than anything, it makes me want to try Overwatch which will (in theory) not have the performance issues or the MOBA grinding layer.

That said, this is fun, and I could see myself playing it when it launches.

patchday

I'm actually enjoying this quite a bit, though the low FPS is noticeable given the pace of the game. More than anything, it makes me want to try Overwatch which will (in theory) not have the performance issues or the MOBA grinding layer.

That said, this is fun, and I could see myself playing it when it launches.

Yeah Overwatch doesnt any crappy grinding that you find in pretty much any MOBA

W1SSY

With the "moba" mode only having one lane it feels super basic. I only played one match but it just felt like most people didn't understand the importance of getting the jungle camp and spawning the creeps to help push the wave. I thought that you would get a lot of crazy fights when a team is going for the middle jungle camp but that just did not really happen. That will probably change with people getting more experience but I just feel like this game is some weird half step between being a moba like paragon and just being TF2.

Played the new MP mode and it's alright I guess, still prefer Meltdown. I love playing support and love Miko but this is the first game in a long time to give me a headache after the first match. So many effects blasting in your face nonstop. It really is disorienting.

Going to give it a couple of more tries over the Open Beta period but not feeling it so far just like in the Alpha.

With the "moba" mode only having one lane it feels super basic. I only played one match but it just felt like most people didn't understand the importance of getting the jungle camp and spawning the creeps to help push the wave. I thought that you would get a lot of crazy fights when a team is going for the middle jungle camp but that just did not really happen. That will probably change with people getting more experience but I just feel like this game is some weird half step between being a moba like paragon and just being TF2.

To be fair to those people, there is a severe lack of feedback with anything going on, made worse by the fact that the audio queues it does manage to scrap together are never up-to-date (example: Being told that 4/5 of the enemy players were dead when there are clearly 3 people shooting in my direction).

I frequently had no idea my turrets were being attacked in multiple matches, there are multiple blindspots where players just turtle in and long-range the turrets from. Support heroes are too OP in both support and damage, melee heroes seem horribly squishy and underpowered to be able to do what they need to do. Finally, once you get that first turret down, it seems nigh impossible to come back from an onslaught of overshielded creeps, equally, it seems extremely hard to lose after taking the turret down. A few of those are probably due to inexperience with the game/genre though.

It's also baffling that this game is locked at 30 fps and not even a stable 30 fps. I really hope it's just because of it being a beta build, but with Overwatch being pretty identical to the PC version on PS4 (in fidelity and framerate) this will be a very hard sell, more than it already is.

Novocaine

Just gave a single player map a try. It looks nice, but I was ready for it to be over about half way through. I think I may just be over the "Gearbox sass" at this point, and the game just felt dull to play. I might give MP a try but honestly I don't see how it's going to change my opinion.

Overall I think they are making a huge mistake charging full retail for this.

Pretty bad stuff. Should have gone with Borderlands 3.

Or at least made this a spinoff Borderlands game right? I mean at least that has brand recognition. A game like this will need all the help it can get to be recognized, and being MP only that's much more of an important factor.

Gator86

Bad timing for this game. Overwatch feels about 100x better gameplay wise. Probably didn't help that I was playing under 30fps on a console. I also had all of my teammates leave before the match ended.

I'm enjoying this game, surprisingly, but that just makes me more excited about Overwatch which, by all accounts, looks, controls, and runs better.

I actually liked the single player missions, played with all four real life friends who decided to give the Beta a shot. Yes, I wish they would be working with Borderlands 3 right now but it just feels fun just to play with friends and laugh at the dialogue again like it was a new Borderlands game, there are some typical things that Gearbox does but I liked what I played today ALOT.

I'll be playing this game for the story mode and a little bit of the PVP (which was okay at best) with Overwatch being my new PVP game.

Either way I was very impressed with the Beta.

Just gave a single player map a try. It looks nice, but I was ready for it to be over about half way through. I think I may just be over the "Gearbox sass" at this point, and the game just felt dull to play.

I haven't played the game yet, but based on what Totalbiscuit said and watching some gameplay video I think the problem with single player, and perhaps the whole game, is that each character is too limited in their abilities. Therefore you end up doing the same thing over and over again which becomes monotonous. In a normal game you typically have different weapons that let you attack in different ways. That provides much needed variety and tactics to the gameplay.

I think the quick fix for Battleborn would be to let you pick a selection of characters that you could switch between during a mission. Perhaps you could do this on the fly, or more conservatively do this after a death or at fixed locations. The character level up level would have to be shared among all the characters used during a mission.

Jolkien

So what's the point of story mode ? Made it to the third phase of the spider boss before running out of lives. Played the guy with two red katana and a huge great sword in his back, whatever his name is.

Melee is just like Skyrim, you slap wet noodle on stuff with little to no feedback. Glad I did not pre-order this. I'll give it another shot and play competitive tommorrow, hopefully it's a much better showing.

Camjo-Z

Not being able to move through teammates is fucking awful. Half the time I die because they're continuing to fight as I make my escape, but I get stuck on one of them and die to some stray bullets.

Gator86

Not being able to move through teammates is fucking awful. Half the time I die because they're continuing to fight as I make my escape, but I get stuck on one of them and die to some stray bullets.

Yeah, it's a huge pain in the ass. Im not sure if it's because a lot of people on consoles aren't used to this type of game or if the aim assist absence is ruining people, but goddamn, people are absolute fucking trash at this game. I don't know how you end a game with 1 kill, over a dozen deaths, and like 6 minion kills. I totally empathize with people who melt down on MOBA teammates; the frustration is one of the reasons I avoid the genre.

In terms of unlocking characters, when you have to win 5 "matches" is that multiplayer only? Or does the campaign count too?

The more I play these melee characters the worse they seem, they can just be kited around the room by any of the ranged characters and they're all made of paper.

Top Bottom