• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT2| "All Quiet on the GAF Front"

Darkwater

You need more than 4 threads i.e. a i7 with 8.

Pretty sure both the i3 and i5 have only 4.

They do. If that's true, then that's a real high cost of entry.

I have an i5-4690k (not overclocked) with a GTX 1070 and 8 GB RAM playing on a mix of High/Highest settings. I get around 90-100 fps most of the time. 130-140 in some cases. Sometimes though it will drop down to 50, but that's very rare, and only on certain maps.

That's strange. Have you benchmarked with Fraps (64 player operations) and taken a look at your 1% time? You see, even at the lowest settings, my 1% time is still just over 40 fps. My cpu isn't that much less powerful than yours, so the difference in fps seems disproportionate.

Edit: I've been doing some research. Can anyone tell me what performance they're getting on an i7-4770? And what video card? It's important that tests are run on a 64-player map. I can get a rock-solid 60fps in 24-player matches just fine, that's not the issue.

They do. If that's true, then that's a real high cost of entry.

That's strange. Have you benchmarked with Fraps (64 player operations) and taken a look at your 1% time? You see, even at the lowest settings, my 1% time is still just over 40 fps. My cpu isn't that much less powerful than yours, so the difference in fps seems disproportionate.

Edit: I've been doing some research. Can anyone tell me what performance they're getting on an i7-4770? And what video card? It's important that tests are run on a 64-player map. I can get a rock-solid 60fps in 24-player matches just fine, that's not the issue.

Can't speak on the 4xxx cpus, but I went from an i5 2500k to a i7 3770k (same Mobo) and my fps and frame times are much much more stable. I used to dip down frequently to the low 50's on certain maps, now that almost never happens, and when it does it's in the high 50's. I played at ultra at 1080p with only post processing turned to high on a 970.

Bf one just likes more threads. All threads are being used when I play 64 player conquest. It's a very CPU dependent game. Try a 32 player match and I bet you your 1% fps will be much higher due to less CPU usage.

Darkwater

Can't speak on the 4xxx cpus, but I went from an i5 2500k to a i7 3770k (same Mobo) and my fps and frame times are much much more stable. I used to dip down frequently to the low 50's on certain maps, now that almost never happens, and when it does it's in the high 50's. I played at ultra at 1080p with only post processing turned to high on a 970.

That's interesting to read. Do you keep the cpu at stock speeds?

Bf one just likes more threads. All threads are being used when I play 64 player conquest. It's a very CPU dependent game. Try a 32 player match and I bet you your 1% fps will be much higher due to less CPU usage.

So it would seem. My upgrade from an i3 to an i5 did not have the desired effect. Things are better, but I still cannot properly play anything with 64 players. Yeah, I've already tested matches with lower player counts - they're totally fine, 60fps all the time.

Guess I'm looking for a good deal on a socket 1150 Core i7.

Side note: this performance summary by TechSpot does not paint a complete picture of cpu performance. They only benchmark a campaign scene that is not cpu heavy. Unintendedly misleading, unfortunately.

That's interesting to read. Do you keep the cpu at stock speeds?

So it would seem. My upgrade from an i3 to an i5 did not have the desired effect. Things are better, but I still cannot properly play anything with 64 players. Yeah, I've already tested matches with lower player counts - they're totally fine, 60fps all the time.

Guess I'm looking for a good deal on a socket 1150 Core i7.

Side note: this performance summary by TechSpot does not paint a complete picture of cpu performance. They only benchmark a campaign scene that is not cpu heavy. Unintendedly misleading, unfortunately.

I had both over clocked to 4.5/4.6 GHz but when I swapped in the 3770k, I ran it stock for the first few days. I felt an immediate difference still going from the OCed i5 to the stock i7.

With my 2500k all my cores were pegged at 90-100% all the time which means the CPU was the bottleneck causing terrible minimum fps. With the i7 none of my cores are ever near 100% during 64 player cq.

I suppose I understand the disappointment with the management of the DLC releases but when you consider the fact that we're getting two free-for-everyone night maps in the interim and then the largest expansion in the series history with six maps, I'm alright waiting for that. Battlefield games aren't yearly release types, you play them for years. They're trying to extend the content release schedule to encourage more players to stick with the game to see all of the content and in addition, including more content to compensate for the wait.

Smart business decision in my opinion.

Olengie

I suppose I understand the disappointment with the management of the DLC releases but when you consider the fact that we're getting two free-for-everyone night maps in the interim and then the largest expansion in the series history with six maps, I'm alright waiting for that. Battlefield games aren't yearly release types, you play them for years. They're trying to extend the content release schedule to encourage more players to stick with the game to see all of the content and in addition, including more content to compensate for the wait.

Smart business decision in my opinion.

The Night Maps are only for Premium Members. DICE hasn't said if Non-Premium Players will ever get it. The only new map everyone got was Giant's Shadow. It would be for them to at least give the Night Maps for free.

Premium Friends can only do so much.

The Night Maps are only for Premium Members. DICE hasn't said if Non-Premium Players will ever get it. The only new map everyone got was Giant's Shadow. It would be for them to at least give the Night Maps for free.

Premium Friends can only do so much.

What server rotations will they be apart of? I wonder if they just add them to 'They Shall Not Pass'.

Darkwater

I've contacted a benchmarker on YouTube who tells me that a 4770K at stock speeds doesn't dip below 60fps even on 64 player games. Not sure if that was Operations or CQ though. Maybe that makes no difference, I dunno. Don't really play CQ myself.

Edit: my frames in CQ64 and Ops64 are equally shitty. That means a 4770 is good enough. Good to know.

lionelhutz

I just bought the PS4 version because of the PSN sale and a few other friends already having it there. I've put quite a few hours into BF3/4 on PC so I'm familiar with the franchise.

I'm having a really hard time distinguishing enemies in the few MP maps I've played. Everything seems to blend together and it's only after I'm killed that I can see where the enemy is.

I tried playing on a monitor and my TV and didn't notice any difference in my ability to see the other team. Is this something that others have experienced with BF1? At this point it's feeling like money wasted.

I just bought the PS4 version because of the PSN sale and a few other friends already having it there. I've put quite a few hours into BF3/4 on PC so I'm familiar with the franchise.

I'm having a really hard time distinguishing enemies in the few MP maps I've played. Everything seems to blend together and it's only after I'm killed that I can see where the enemy is.

I tried playing on a monitor and my TV and didn't notice any difference in my ability to see the other team. Is this something that others have experienced with BF1? At this point it's feeling like money wasted.
Don't know what to say, I play on a monitor and able to see players easily. Based PS4?

You'll get used to it and begin to notice when something is "out of place" in the environment (i.e. an enemy). Take it slow at first and don't rush into new areas. Stick with teammates and frequently check your map for where enemy capture points are (which can help you determine the direction of an attack).

Most importantly, spot, spot, spot! Hitting the spot button can sometimes highlight enemies that you didn't know where there. Even if you see the enemy, spot him! It makes targeting so much easier and it allows your teammates to avenge you if you manage to be killed anyway.

lionelhutz

You'll get used to it and begin to notice when something is "out of place" in the environment (i.e. an enemy). Take it slow at first and don't rush into new areas. Stick with teammates and frequently check your map for where enemy capture points are (which can help you determine the direction of an attack).

Most importantly, spot, spot, spot! Hitting the spot button can sometimes highlight enemies that you didn't know where there. Even if you see the enemy, spot him! It makes targeting so much easier and it allows your enemies to avenge you if you manage to be killed anyway.

Thanks. Admittedly, I've only played a few maps so maybe it was just that selection. Both have been cities and it just seems overly dark and much harder to see people compared to past BF titles. I'm hoping it'll be easier as I learn the maps.

Thanks. Admittedly, I've only played a few maps so maybe it was just that selection. Both have been cities and it just seems overly dark and much harder to see people compared to past BF titles. I'm hoping it'll be easier as I learn the maps.

I felt the same way when I first started, but once you get used to it, you'll really start to notice enemy movements. And yes, spot spot spot. When you're not sure if it's an enemy and don't want to give away your position by firing that gun, hit that R1 anyway.

WillyFive

Enemies being harder to see and spot was an intentional decision by the developers; since in past games all you had to do to know where the enemy was to follow the red Doritos in the mini map. This decision made it more immersive, but it also made it harder.

Remember, stay away from open areas at all times; they were meant for vehicles and being there makes you easy prey for a sniper hiding behind a rock or in a bush somewhere.

terrible

Banned
With fog and sandstorms it can be near impossible to see enemies sometimes. The funny part is if you have a scope and you zoom in it kind of cuts through the weather effects and you can see further. Use that to your advantage when possible.

Under regular weather conditions I don't think it's any harder to see enemies in BF1 than BF4 though, or at least I've never had issues personally.

ThisOne

Why don't you get a battlepack when your go up a level? The battlepacks are kinda worthless but it would be nice to get one when i've played for 10 hours to move from level 88 to 89.

Hey guys is it normal that I can play this game online on PS4 without PSN+? This is weird, I bought the game today and when I went to the multiplayer section everything worked and I was able to join a game. I definitely don't have PSN+ and I never had it, plus I'm the only account on my console. Is my PS4 blessed with free online powers?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Hey guys is it normal that I can play this game online on PS4 without PSN+? This is weird, I bought the game today and when I went to the multiplayer section everything worked and I was able to join a game. I definitely don't have PSN+ and I never had it, plus I'm the only account on my console. Is my PS4 blessed with free online powers?

Yes, yes it is.

I know there's been certain games with some soft online capabilities like Watch Dogs that allowed drop-in online without PS+, or of course F2P games, but you, you seem to have a magic PS4.

I just tried Uncharted 4 and I can play online too what the fuck is going on. I tripled checked everything and I really don't have PS+, I don't have the yellow + logo beside my name and I still get the Join PS+ when I go to the menu, but I didn't get the discount when I bought BF1. Might be a glitch but I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts.

I just tried Uncharted 4 and I can play online too what the fuck is going on. I tripled checked everything and I really don't have PS+, I don't have the yellow + logo beside my name and I still get the Join PS+ when I go to the menu, but I didn't get the discount when I bought BF1. Might be a glitch but I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts.

Free MP week IIRC

So guys, is premium worth it?
Personally yes since I ❤️ Battlefield games and modern or past War settings. The real question is what platform? I can easily find conquest matches (sometimes operations depending on the time of day) on PS4. If anything I feel like it's worth it if you're on PS4 since thats where the largest amount of players are at. If you're on pc I wouldn't recommend it.

Donos

Don't have a lot of fog matches. But if it's there, its always M 10 A Hunter time, sticking the barrel into peoples throats.

So can someone tell me how many free maps have come since release? And will Premium maps become free or are they still not doing that?

So can someone tell me how many free maps have come since release? And will Premium maps become free or are they still not doing that?

One. Giant's Shadow. They are going to add two new maps (outside of the regular map packs) but that's for Premium members. They might do something similar like they did with BF4 and Hardline, giving away all the maps, but who knows.

If you're on pc I wouldn't recommend it.

Eh, I just searched for DLC map-servers and found 15 full servers. CQ only. And it's not even peak hours.

Nivelle Nights should be free for everyone

Yeah, I think the two new maps should be free. No reason to make it Premium only.

ThisOne

I wonder how we'll play Nivelle Nights. Will it be a separate playlist or will it be lumped in with the expansion maps rotation?

I wonder how we'll play Nivelle Nights. Will it be a separate playlist or will it be lumped in with the expansion maps rotation?

Considering it requires Premium or They Shall Not Pass, and they are French themed maps, I assume they are basically going to be treated as a part of that expansion.

ThisOne

Considering it requires Premium or They Shall Not Pass, and they are French themed maps, I assume they are basically going to be treated as a part of that expansion.

That would be fine with me. I'm still enjoying those maps. Think they're all pretty good. Verdun Heights is my least favorite but it's okay.

void666

Banned
Personally yes, to you NO.

Too late.

Personally yes since I ❤️ Battlefield games and modern or past War settings. The real question is what platform? I can easily find conquest matches (sometimes operations depending on the time of day) on PS4. If anything I feel like it's worth it if you're on PS4 since thats where the largest amount of players are at. If you're on pc I wouldn't recommend it.

Yes ps4. On prime time so far it hasn't been hard finding matches.

Man, i'd forgotten how intense battlefield games can be.

HotHamBoy

Just picked up the game and I'm kind of shocked at how spaced out the DLC packs are. I feel like BF4 was releasing new maps at a much faste rate.

The support for BF4 has been phenomenal so hopefully BF1 will get the same treatment.

Edit: lol just read the last two pages. WTF are they doing?

Premium is a terrible value at this release rate.

Man the map pacing really sucks. At the same time, where are u going to go? Its the only shooter of its kind and COD WW2 wont change too much for that

I still wish theyd work out a better dlc plan to make maps free and I wish sony allowed crossplay

I sold the game due to frustartion of playing solo. Randoms suck ass and no one played support and when they did they didnt drop ammo.

It was bad compared to games like overrwatch and rainbow 6 where randoms consistently used teamwork

How long until the new night map drops?

Today.

The Update will be automatically deployed to your platform on Tuesday, June 20th across all platforms with the following downtimes:

PC: Multiplayer will be offline for 2h starting 07.00 UTC / 12.00 AM PT.
PS4: Multiplayer will be offline for 2h starting 9.00 UTC / 2.00 AM PT.
Xbox One: Multiplayer will be offline for 2h starting 11.00 UTC / 4.00 AM PT.

Didn't know TSNP owners also get access to the new maps. Nice surprise, but it still sucks it isn't free for everyone.

Also , the time between the map packs is ridiculously long and that makes me wonder if this is the same as with Battlefront I, where once the main game was released most of the devs moved to Battlefield 1, leaving a skeleton crew to do the DLC.

Top Bottom